• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

War Of The Ring - Strategy Map

Status
Not open for further replies.
War Of The Ring

Introduction:
This map is based on several sources, most notably Tolkien's and Peter Jackson's works, as well as Halo Wars(I'll elaborate later). You will control three factions and fight across a grassy and rocky terrain. This map is a strategy map using squads and realistic systems. I WILL stop doing any other activities until I complete this map.

Races:
The three races are:
Gondor-a defensive and versatile race capable of numerous strategies. It is balanced, which also leads to the lack of really powerful units. Their defense and technology is unrivaled.
Rohan-the Rohirrim are the best at fast attacks and harassment strategies. However, they lack versatility, as they serve mainly as infantry-pounders.
Mordor-definitely the most powerful race, with unmatched offense potential. Their defense is weak and they are slow, and they prefer outright assault instead of careful strategy.
Each faction is balanced and have their own unique properties. The races have 5-6 units, upgrades for each unit, 3-4 heroes, and 8 structures.
I MIGHT add Isengard in, but one of the main factors why I left it out is because of the lack of resources availabe.

Gameplay:
Gameplay will be very similar to Halo Wars. Units have a Rock-Paper-Scissors/Rock-Paper-Spartan/Rock-Paper-Sauron system, where each unit will have a certain advantage against another. But don't worry, the advantages won't overpower, so you won't loose an entire cavalry army of 100 to 2 Trolls. Resources will be generated based on the number of specific buildings you have periodically. You will at first start with a food limit of 15, then you may research to increase it by 5, and again by 10.
Here are some of the features, most of which has names of the people who made the system I'll be using:
Squad System-By Amugurimi, I will edit so there is no Custom Values involved
Real Projectiles-By NFWar, very awesome. Initiated from ranged attacks
AoE Knockbacks-By Paladon, mostly from Siege units and large Beasts to trample some infantry
Permanent Upgrades-Like in DoW and Battle For Middle Earth, the unit may upgrade on the battlefield. This upgrade only affects the target squad. eg. Flaming Arrows.
Fixed Bases-Very similar to Halo Wars, and Battle For Middle Earth. You may only build structures on and capture designated bases.
Further features will be added further down the track of versions.

Progress:
I will be doing terrain, then object data, then triggering, and also adding some UI changes along the way.
Terrain-100%
Factions-65%
Triggers-2%
I will also post techtrees for the factions respectively.
Added some screenshots.

Most importantly, give me some feedback and comments.

Download ALPHA map below.

Uploaded

Added custom map preview
Added custom loading screen
Fixed up Trebuchet bug
Added the 'Eagle' to Gondor
Added Food/Population cap
Made minor trigger fixes

Last edited:
Level 17
The systems are cool and will really make your map shine I think.

Units have a Rock-Paper-Scissors/Rock-Paper-Spartan/Rock-Paper-Sauron system
, as long as the Rock-Paper-Scissors makes sence it is good (like BFME where pikeman are strong against calavary).

Will calavary be able to trample infantry?

Thank you guys.
@Spectre(Don't mind if I call you that?): The system is: ('-' = beats)
Infantry Attacks - Archer armor
Archer Attacks - Cavalry/Beast armor
Cavalry Attacks - Infantry/Archer armor
Beast Attacks - Infantry/Cavalry armor
Siege Attacks - Fortified Armor - everything except Siege and Beast.
Cavalry can't 'trample' infantry, but they can knockback, which creates a similar effect. Oh, and no dice damage in this map, so there isn't 12-13 damage, just 15 damage etc.

I made a map similar to this called Kingdoms of Legend. Too bad it wasn't very popular...

Reactions: TpM
Level 17
No Isengard? For me, no Uruk-Hai=no LoTR
, I kindy agree with this, Isengard is my favourite race.

@Spectre(Don't mind if I call you that?): The system is: ('-' = beats)
Infantry Attacks - Archer armor
Archer Attacks - Cavalry/Beast armor
Cavalry Attacks - Infantry/Archer armor
Beast Attacks - Infantry/Cavalry armor
Siege Attacks - Fortified Armor - everything except Siege and Beast.
Cavalry can't 'trample' infantry, but they can knockback, which creates a similar effect. Oh, and no dice damage in this map, so there isn't 12-13 damage, just 15 damage etc.
, I don't mind ^^, sounds good, only I think Siege should be strong against other siege also, that would make more sense (like in BFME).

@TpM-Me too!

@All the Isengarders:
Here is the sum of all the exact models that I could use:
DemigoD's Lurtz
Some other dude's Lurtz
Ballista on the hive
Some European guy's Uruk-hai without a shield or broadblade
Here is the sum of all models used and makes it look like a piece of shit:
Blademaster with 200 Green, 200 Red, 0 Blue
Grom with above
Fel Orc Blademaster with above
Theres your answer.

@Spectre: Siege units have fortified armor. Now people may say:
'Oh but, won't a bunch of Knights smash those stupid trebuchets?'
No. If anyone who thinks this is bad can slice a sword through a half-metre wood log, or do the same with an arrow, then I'll stuff the fortified armor and give siege units infantry armor.

@DemigoD: Always good to get some rep and encouragement.

@i brg doom: Always good to get some encouragement :)

A random note:
When I use NFWar's system to shoot an arrow, the arrow will stay the same angle, so it won't be like
__
/ \
/ \
/ \
More like
---
- -
- -
Unless the arrow goes straight instead of up and down. ----------
So if you see that ingame, that's not my problem!

Level 17
@All the Isengarders:
Here is the sum of all the exact models that I could use:
DemigoD's Lurtz
Some other dude's Lurtz
Ballista on the hive
Some European guy's Uruk-hai without a shield or broadblade
Here is the sum of all models used and makes it look like a piece of shit:
Blademaster with 200 Green, 200 Red, 0 Blue
Grom with above
Fel Orc Blademaster with above
Theres your answer.
, I still have a map and a campaign which uses some lotr like units (the campaign contains some isengard units and the map contains a Sauron army race). Both use resources from this and with some changes I made myself. If you want it I can post them here.

A random note:
When I use NFWar's system to shoot an arrow, the arrow will stay the same angle, so it won't be like
__
/ \
/ \
/ \
More like
---
- -
- -
Unless the arrow goes straight instead of up and down. ----------
So if you see that ingame, that's not my problem!
, funny explanation XD

These camera angles are a bit tricksy, I assure you there is a good amount of height variation and the doodads(including Pathing Blockers) are placed well. But I won't put too much height variation, as it may ruin the battlefield and epic fights.
@Spectre: You can't see it from the angle, but there is actually higher ground over where the blockers are surrounding.

Thank you! +rep back at you!
I will be releasing an alpha soon, with Gondor as a playable race. I've made a system similar to Halo War's and BFME's building plots, with towers, but no walls. I will add some screenshots of these ingame.
NOTE: In the alpha, choose the Human race ONLY, because I will make a trigger to delete and remove and Orc, Undead, and Night Elf players, as I don't want a squad of Gondor Soldiers taking on a bunch of Druids of The Claw or Crypt Fiends.

@Spectre: Thanks. It allows you alot more strategy and also more open-fielded battles.

@Wazzz: Long time no see mate. I still remember you're project. Is it still active, coz I haven't seen it around for ages. Nothing to test so far, but I will try to release an Alpha before SC2 comes out(2 days after today).
No thanks for the squad system. I'm using Amigurimi's GUI one.

Level 35
Ah cool, you're using squad system? Nice =D

Well, my project came to a halt as I was relying on models but diosilva16 appears to be inactive on the most part, so I gradually lost interest.
However, I am working on a similar yet different project, it hasn't got a name yet but it features an RTS gameplay with, so far, Humans and Undead (classic gothic warfare between the two races :p) and will have a lot of features that will hopefully make it a unique and fantastic gameplay experience :p

Btw, if you want extra help with some GUI triggers, I can help you out ;)
And does the current squad system you have do everything you want it to? Also, is it available on hive? I don't think I've heard of it :p

All the systems are from the Hive.

Alright, people, I've decided to upload a very rushed Alpha.
When I mean rushed, I mean:
Gondor only
No upgrades
No abilities
No heroes
Poor systems
No custom UI whatsoever
And, goddamnit, no Eagles!

This is because of Starcraft 2's release. But I promise, if WC3 will still survive after this, that I will update it, and slowly complete Gondor at least.

Level 3
Just messed around with this game and it was cool.

I liked the terrain and stuff but there was a lot of open places and stuff

Some problems I saw where:

• Don't know if you made AI but no computer spawned in game
  • Like DemigoD said when you build a Trebuchet hundreds spawn

Some things I liked where:

• Five members to a squad was cool
  • The custom models and building spots where cool

Don't know if this is a bug or not but there doesn't seem to be a max food limit? will there be one in the final game or no?

Level 17
Why would he have AI for this version when he hasn't even completed one race? Your lack of logic astounds me.
, it's just a question from him, and it's not weird that he asks that since it's better to complete a race first and balance it before beginning on the other races.

@GhostThruster, will you port this map to the Starcraft 2 editor? I think that there's an option to transfer terrain from Starcraft 1 or Warcraft 3 to Starcraft 2 (atleast the heights and where water is placed).

Level 1
Good idea. But such projects chesno say no offense, I have counted 10 pieces =) Good luck.

Oh, and you do not need a sound engineer?

AI isn't possible, coz of my Building Plot system. I doubt I will port it, I am a loyalist of WC3. Are you gonna export your map?

@Wazzz: Same server, I'm an Aussie. You're American right? How come you chose Asian Pacific? Btw, I will 'Baneling/Stalker/Hellion-ify' you! And no more Offtopic!

Which reminds me:

v0.05a has:
Gondor only still
Upgrades
Tech Levels as seen in Halo Wars
Eagles, wooot!!!
No heroes
Single Trebuchets WITH knockbacks and awesome trajectory

Coming out soon.

Level 17
I doubt I will port it, I am a loyalist of WC3. Are you gonna export your map?
, well I don't have Starcraft 2 yet ^^. You have starcraft 2 right? Does it still has the data editor instead of wcr3 object editor? I ask this since when I had the beta, I was kindy disspointed how difficult it was and how long it took to make things with the data editor (e.g. creating and adding an upgrade to an unit took about three times more work than when you do it with wcr3).

Anyways, I tried your map and it was really cool, the buildings spots worked excellent. There was a tiny things which was kindy weird, the walk animation was kindy fast for most units (you should lower that a tad). The squad system was also cool btw.

Status
Not open for further replies.