• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Idea Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
Last 2 are bad because they separate noobs from pros, and that's why DotA, and MW2 and similar games are bad. This is suppose to be fair for everyone, not just people who have been playing it longer.

Level 20
Always loved those systems, rewarding those who are winning with tools to help them win even more...

Yeah... don't include them... D;

EDIT: Save posting twice, question: How are you actually deciding on whose/which heroes to feature? Surely it's impractical to make every single hive member... even every single one interested so is it going to be random? Rep? Anyone who can be bothered submitting one? Just 'good/balanced/well designed'?

Just curious =)

Level 11
Every member can submit a concept of his hero, but it has to be according to rules. Then judges decide if it is original and balanced enough to be added. So making a guy who's every ability is based on stormbolt and critical strike will be denied quickly, or a copy of a hero from DotA (or any other AoS).
New rule is that you will have to be able to make the hero by your self, abilities being the most important part. I suppose you can get someone to help you with it, but he probably wont get any credit for it.

Level 38
Having due credit is really nice.

Hay, for the teams rather than basing them off a race you could just do colors, like red vs. blue. With how flexible and easily manipulate-able the system is for teams I never really got why the colors of each side in most dota styled maps end up being dark green vs. brown. As the teams are pretty arbitrary and an excuse for two opposing factions to duke it out just going for colors could work well their to. You could still give them a cool name as well, like the Azure Vanguard vs. The Crimson Legion, or whatever. Also, if you were building a fortress for each side you could just change the vertex coloring of each faction's structures, so one side would be bluish and the other reddish, or orangish, or greenish or whatever color the factions may be.

Picking out doodads for their color can make a map look rather nice as well, you could have fall trees on the red side and wintery trees on the blue side. Or you could have stalagmites instead of trees, that might end up cool. In an AOS map I'm sort of working on I'm terraining half of the map to look as though it is underground-->

163958-albums4253-picture40265.jpg

I like the idea mentioned earlier in this thread about having a fortress that can actually function as one, at least with pathable walls. That sort of links into one thing I've noticed about a lot of maps that sort of bugs me to, which is that item shops are usually just some random person standing outside. With the limitations of WC3's inventory system why not give each merchant a distinctive, in-door room?
163958-albums4253-picture40261.jpg

(I have more shots of the castle in one of my albums)

Having towers function as a beneficial high ground to stage attacks from rather than some golem-like unit could be cool to, perhaps each side could start with a tower guard/tower guards that serve the function of towers, and when they die their tower may be used by a hero of any faction desiring high ground and cover. (maybe they could offer armor and attack bonuses or something to that effect). It would be kinda cool if you could just order a hired mercenary to hold position in a tower to, so you could effectively "repair" a fallen tower with a reasonable resource cost.

Level 11
Color teams was suggested at the beginning and it is best one in my opinion. And they do need to have differences, like different buildings, but not in night elf-undead way, but more one have them out of stone and other out of wood and such.

As for towers, I don't like it that much, because ranged heroes will get a huge advantage. I mean its cool that its jut a building with some guards on it, and that heroes can climb on it, but they shouldn't give buffs.

Level 38
Color teams was suggested at the beginning and it is best one in my opinion. And they do need to have differences, like different buildings, but not in night elf-undead way, but more one have them out of stone and other out of wood and such.

They don't need to have differences, that's just an aesthetic choice you seem to be pulling for. In League of Legends the only easily noticeable difference between each faction's base is essentially the team color of their buildings, so just using coloration could work. I agree that it would be cooler with some other difference besides just vertex coloring though. I'd personally go for changing the unit skins, that way everything would stay the same proportions, every equivalency would be easily recognizable, and things blocked from view would remain pretty much equal as well. Of course, I might have a bit of a biased there XD. For the spawns that would probably be a good idea to, and their are plenty of dual-tone skins in the .mpq. Probably about half the units in WC3 have an alternate color version, and there are definitely a lot of redish and bluish differences.

As for towers, I don't like it that much, because ranged heroes will get a huge advantage. I mean its cool that its jut a building with some guards on it, and that heroes can climb on it, but they shouldn't give buffs.

If the only advantage they give is blocking pathing then they aren't any more special than the obstacles at the side of the lanes. It would be nice if they gave a buff that canceled itself out if another unit had the same buff though, something like +20 to damage and 20 damage reduction. That way it would be more desirable for mercenaries as it's just a flat bonus, and the tower positions would become more obsolete towards the end-game when 20 damage wouldn't make much of a difference. A lot of decent melee heroes have an ability to cover ground quickly anyways, and trapping a ranged hero in the tower should result in a dead ranged hero. There are ways to make it balanced, it just comes down to how it is implemented. I'm thinking a good way to do it is create a sort of slide up to the tower that prevents anything from blocking the entrance, except some sort of wall or guard that spawns at the beginning of the game. That way melee heroes couldn't charge the tower at low levels and at higher levels ranged heroes would have to bail from the tower before getting trapped by a melee hero.

Level 11
They don't need to have differences, that's just an aesthetic choice you seem... ...units in WC3 have an alternate color version, and there are definitely a lot of redish and bluish differences.

Well, map will have as few imports as possible. They will be added latter, with a good reason. So for now its necessary to think of stuff that do not need skins. I agree that one side should be darker then other, but I think that there should be more difference then a simple vertex color change, especially since war3 offers such a large collection of building models (compared to other games).

If the only advantage they give is blocking pathing then they aren't any more special than the obstacles at the side of the lanes. It would be nice... ...tower at low levels and at higher levels ranged heroes would have to bail from the tower before getting trapped by a melee hero.

20 dmg wont make a difference late game, but in early it will. And a heroes death will make a way bigger difference early then late game. I'm just saying that it will be a bonus available to ranged heroes only. Yes there are melee heroes that can close in (agility based usually), but there is also a large number of slower, more cumbersome heroes that will have a hard time getting the hero on the tower, and a buff to the hero on the tower isn't helping, especially with the advantage he gets from high ground...

Level 38
Through all discussion I have to admit that I really like that pathable castle with a room for each shop.

This could be a great add later.

Excellent. If you go for rooms I would highly recommend using my epic rpg tileset skin, it will allow all building interiors to use 1 terrain tile, allowing all the natural bits of the map to have the widest amount of variation. With tiles that don't need blended edges you can get up to 18 tile variations on one piece.

Well, map will have as few imports as possible. They will be added latter, with a good reason. So for now its necessary to think of stuff that do not need skins. I agree that one side should be darker then other, but I think that there should be more difference then a simple vertex color change, especially since war3 offers such a large collection of building models (compared to other games).

I feel kind of retarded, I was thinking about the fortress area more than the barracks when I type that. But ya, for the actual buildings using in game models would be a very good idea.

For the doodads surrounding the buildings imported resources with alternate skins would probably be a good move, which is more what I was failing to say. The walls I used in the shot of the castle are essentially cubes, and the texture I made for them is much smaller than a standard skin. Even with all 7 wall variations and the skin the total demand on filesize those resources take up is smaller than any standard skin, and much smaller than most unit models. I also have a catacombs, bone, blood-elf, and town version of those walls to, and if you want something else the skin is easily modifiable.

20 dmg wont make a difference late game, but in early it will. And a heroes death will make a way bigger difference early then late game. I'm just saying that it will be a bonus available to ranged heroes only. Yes there are melee heroes that can close in (agility based usually), but there is also a large number of slower, more cumbersome heroes that will have a hard time getting the hero on the tower, and a buff to the hero on the tower isn't helping, especially with the advantage he gets from high ground...

What is the high ground advantage anyways? Isn't it something like 25% evasion?
But ya, the tower should be blocked off at the beginning of the game, maybe it should just be open to heroes after it "dies". Of course, regardless of were a hero is standing moving within range of a tower early game is usually always a bad idea. If towers gave a bonus to damage early game farming would be skewed towards ranged heroes though.

@ Xarwin: Through reading some of the past comments about this project it appears you are changing strength, agility, and intellect to something else, and asked for items not to grant bonuses to those attributes. Is that right? and are the functionality of the stats changing? It would be nice to know for designing hero abilities anyways.

For instance, intellect only increases mana by 15 points while strength increases health by 25. Are you planning on keeping the ratios the same?

Also wondering a bit about damage and armor types. I know piercing and magic are about the only damage types that in-game abilities can change. I think it would be kinda neat to give all units a re-named version of one of those damage types, it could be something like physical (piercing) and mystical (magic). I'm pretty sure abilities that reduce magic damage reduce spell damage as well, and separating damage types to those two categories would make it easy to assign them to fit unit aesthetics as well as create abilities and items that counter them.

For armor types I'm thinking making a ranged-unit armor type, melee-unit armor type, and building armor type. It would probably be all that is needed. something like "light" (ranged) armor would take 100% damage from all sources, "heavy" (melee) would take 80%, and fortified would take 50%.

If it is desired minions deal more damage to each other the Demolish ability can modify the amount of damage dealt to buildings, heroes, and of course units. It's sort of a shame spells all deal the same damage type and items are pretty much incapable of changing armor types. With heroes being stuck with whatever damage and armor types they come with 2 damage types and 3 armor types will probably be the most efficient use of the categories. The default hero damage and armor types are kind of boring anyways, it would be nice to have at least a small differentiation in them.

As a final note, all heroes should totally make units EXPLODE when they last hit them. Besides the graphical updates that's pretty much my favorite part about Heroes of Newerth. A real shame artillery attack types come with the attack-ground command and allow ranged units to easily miss their mark, though I'm sure it wouldn't be to hard to trigger ;)

Level 19
@ Xarwin: Through reading some of the past comments about this project it appears you are changing strength, agility, and intellect to something else, and asked for items not to grant bonuses to those attributes. Is that right? and are the functionality of the stats changing? It would be nice to know for designing hero abilities anyways.

It was planned yes. However, not sure at the moment since I received various comments on it. Will see what things give in the alpha.

Level 38
It was planned yes. However, not sure at the moment since I received various comments on it. Will see what things give in the alpha.

I just know that primary attribute bonuses are the only damage bonuses that stack with Command and Trueshot aura (and probably soul burn, cripple, roar, and howl of terror). Hero attributes are also marginally friendlier to use than health, armor, and mana boosting abilities. It's nothing major, but for some things it could be nice.

Level 30
Hive's Core Death System

My Idea for the death system:

when a hero dies, can the player gain a vision?, maybe approximately 2200/2200 AOE at the location of death, and add up some cool effects like the ray of light from the UTM map.

and there's a twist in my Idea, for there is a command (-fadedeath). when triggered, it will hide the player's hero death. there will be two meaning for this:

1) Its a stupid suggestion and it will be daunting for the beginner/s to search the death location.
2) Its a challenge for gamers, beginners and pros alike to find the death location, and totally change the gaming experience from AOS maps.

I've played a lot of game mods in warcraft 3 that somehow you have to find something or someone that fits in the situation or etc. example, you dropped your item and you can't find it and you have to. you can also not type this command since the host is in charge for typing the game commands and thus, decide if this command will be part in the game.

well this is my idea! :clol:

Level 38
Was messing around in the editor with red vs. blue stuff.

RedvsBlue.jpg

Most red/blue units are generally beasts though, so if you were planning on attaching weapons to the spawns (I think I read about that in the past pages) perhaps
different models would be needed. It might work with some of these though, furbolgs' might look good with attachments. There are like 6 variations of those to.

A lot of the models pictured above could serve as neutral creeps though to, having blue ones on the blue side and red on the red side might look kind of cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.