• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Item Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 16
Item Name: Wintergrasp Orb (Legendary Item?)
Synopsis: Once wielded by a powerful Troll named Frostwhisper. This Orb has been passed on to multiple owners ever since his downfall.
Effects:
-Damage +15
-Armor +5
-Health and Mana +200
-Attack Speed -10%
-Frostbolt (200 Damage + 1.5 Seconds Stun)
-Frost Attack

Last edited:
Level 19
Orb of Luck: Has 15% chance of making a hero resist any single target spell and to make the caster take the effect of the spell.

Upgrade Recipe: Serendipity Orb (high cost).

Serendipity Orb effect: Has 15% chance to gain immunity against a single target spell which is reflected back dealing 80% of the original damage.

What do you think of that, Phoenix?
--

Boots of Speed: (passive) increases the movement speed by 10-20%.

Bronze Sword: increases the damage by 15.
Silver Sword (blacksmith): increases the damage by 30.
Golden Sword (blacksmith): increases the damage by 45.
Thunder Sword (recipe + golden sword): increases the damage by 60 and gives a 15% chance to purge enemy units upon attack.

Iron Buckler: grants 3 bonus armor and 30% chance to block 15 damage.

Amulet of Protection: grants a +2 hp regeneration bonus and increases maximum hit points by 150.

Amethyst Ring: increases the mana regeneration by 50%, increases maximum mana by 200 and purifies negative buffs each 180 seconds.

@ dead-man-walking
lol I love the idea, however the staff is imbalanced. 3 seconds stun is too long!

Level 13
Beehive
Active ability :
Heal 100-200 hp
Passive abilities :
Damage +18
Armor + 2

Upgrade Recipe: Serendipity Orb (high cost).

Serendipity Orb effect: Has 15% chance to gain immunity against a single target spell which is reflected back dealing 80% of the original damage.

What do you think of that, Phoenix?
Not bad. I have another idea:

Sapphire Buckler: grants 20% chance to block 50 magic damage.
Robe of resilience: Grants 6 bonus magic armour.

Resistance Orb(recipe 2x Sapphire Buckler + 1x Robe of resilience): Has 10% chance to gain immunity against a single target spell. Also adds 25% to block 125 magic damage and grants 7 bonus magic armour.

Serendipity Orb(recipe upgrade of Resistance Orb): Has 15% chance to gain immunity against a single target spell which is reflected back dealing 80% of the original damage.
Also adds 30% to block 150 magic damage and grants 8 bonus magic armour.

Like it better?

Sounds great, however I'm afraid that 25% chance to block 125 damage is too much.
That's like 1/4 of each time when a spell is casted. I'd keep it lower.
I agree. However it is only a suggestion. If you like the idea I am sure these numbers will be changed.

Another suggestion:

Name: Berserker's Ring

Description: Gives X% attack speed Y% move speed but increases damage taken by [(X+Y)/2]%. Every time the user attacks an enemy it has a chance of launching a roar that mini-stuns targets around him inside a W AOE.
Function: item designed for chasing and to kill fleeing heroes from battle. It also prevents his allies of helping your target because of the min-stun.

Or

Description - Gives X% attack speed Y% move speed but increases damage taken by [(X+Y)/2]%. Every time the user attacks an enemy it has a W% chance of doing a critical attack that depends on the HP of the enemy (more HP = stronger critical strike, low HP = lower critical strike).
Function: Item designed to engage and quickly kill enemy tank heroes and enemy heroes with lots of HP. It is also a good chasing item, but it is designed to make an initial strike stronger as fast as possible.

Credits: OtakuDash.

Last edited:
Level 14
Beehive
Active ability :
Heal 100-200 hp
Passive abilities :
Damage +18
Armor + 2

I think it should be a dot insteed, I think what is more common for a beehive is that it has bees, also dunno I how it would heal... honey prehaps?

Also my suggestion is orange gem (of reputation). Which would be a cheap +1 in all stats. The gem would then be upgradeable to green gem (of reputation) and then after that blue gem (of reputation) etc. by buying a recipe or something for each upgrade. This could make for an excellent stat item as you would be able to upgrade it once it gets weak. You could make it like 2+ stats per upgrade.

Last edited:
The ring looks quite good too. But I think we should remove the life-steal.
Adding too much functions in one item will mostly make it unbalanced.
OPS, my bad.
The idea originally came from one of my friends (OtakuDash). With further discussion we concluded this item was too unbalanced. I also want to say that I forgot to add something fundamental -> increases damage taken.
The item is now balanced and I split the item into two possible suggestions (you can choose, personally I like the first one better) Please re-read the post.

EDIT EDIT EDIT

New idea by OtakuDash + Flame_Phoenix:

Name: Armlet of Taint

Description: On use, it adds X bonus hp and Y bonus Strenght. It also adds Z% life steal, however it drains W hp/sec (non lethal).

Function: This is mainly a good DPS item for melee fighters. It forces them to be in battle because if they don't fight they will be drained to the limit.

Last edited:
Level 2
I think when an item got both advantage and disadvantage it will be a lot easier to balance, and it will reduce the chance of the map being dominated by it. Here's a couple I came up with.

Item name: Certificate of an spell idiot

Item description: The holder of this certificate has been confirmed as not suited to use any form of magic.

Effect: spell immunity/ reduce the effect of spell cast on the user greatly, but the user's spell will also do literally no effect or even has chance of backfiring on the user.

Item name: Charm of Fool's luck

Item description: The wearer of this charm will be able to avoid a lot of harm, but will be as likely to fail when trying to do anything.

Effect: Increase the user' evasion and miss rate by n%. (n~50% or maybe more)

However please remember that adding a bonus to "strength" would do nothing.
I know. I want people to take damage if they don't fight. The bonus STR is simply to add more HP and to add more attack power (if you are an STR hero).

@calbert: your charm of luck should be an item that the user could activate. After all, it sucks to have a permanent item that makes you miss 50% of your attacks, even when you don't want that.
It would be a good escaping item.

Level 16
Flameseeker Runeblade
Synopsis: Once wielded by a legendary Mage Knight who excels in Fire Magicks. This magickal blade is veiled by everliving flames.
Stats:
Mana +350
Attack Speed +25%
Burning Strike (DoT De-Buff on Attack Target. Stacks up to 3 Times)
Flame Spirit (Active. Summoning)
Summons a Burning Spirit which will stay on field for 30 Seconds. Upon expiration, the Burning Spirit will enter the wielder of the blade, increasing his/her Attack Speed by an extra 10% and increase the DoT of Burning Strike. 180 Seconds Cooldown. Burning Spirit has a Ranged Siege Attack.

Last edited:
Level 2
Hello everyone, the name's Otaku Dash, and I haven't posted in this thread some of my ideas and passing them to flame, due that for some reason I thought the thread was restricted ^_^; *shame on me*

Anyways here are some of a few item ideas I thought of:

Name: Chaser Glaive
Description: hits target on X Range (smaller than abomination's hook, 2/3s, half maybe?) and pulls it closer to your hero. Target is "ensnared" till distance is fully covered, being dispelled as it ends near the user hero.
Function: Namely to counter faster, agi build/carry build heroes, it is meant to give an edge to speed countering (missing AOE stun spells, or slow str based heroes for example) and pull them closer for the kill. Also it'll be interesting to combo with channelling spells and pull enemy heroes that might have escaped at first, into the area of effect.

Name: Eternal Engine
Description: 3 component (to be named) + recipe item. +10 to all stats, very late game item.

I thought of two ideas for the overall use of the item, choose the one you'll like (I do like the second =P):

Passive: Static field -> -10 to magical armor in X AOE range.
OR
Active: Overcharge -> Cannot be used withought at least 5 charges. Charges are gained as enemy heroes cast spells. After use, all charges are lost and in an Y AOE range, all enemy heroes caught by it lose all beneficial buffs for W time (?including passives? ideas?). Max charges 20, and for each 5 (meaning 4 levels max) the range increases by charges*50 range (max 20*50 = 1000).

Function: An advanced component item for the late game, it's use is to mainly cripple the enemy, since fortifications and items in later levels become harder to counter. The bonus stats also helps strengthen the hero a bit, helping balance a few lose ends in some builds.

Flame also mentioned a few things about the caravan/corpse camping mechanics you guys are trying to implement, so I thought of of one of a few items on that base aswell:

Name: Martyr's Blessing/Martyr's Lament
Description: Another one with 2 options I thought of, the item gives 100-150% mana regen, so it's mostly based to help support/caster heroes. It's strength however is after the user dies. Does X chain heal points on ally heroes for Y jumps OR increases hp regen rate by 10-15% on W AOE range.
Function: The idea is mainly that support heroes need to ...well.. support! And you can't do much supporting if you're dead now can you? The main point, is that critical battle points (such as caravan travel points, rune/artefacts sites) are gonna be heavy on battles and fortifications, and heroes will need all the support they are gonna get. Also, since there is the medic caravan to rescue you, it is to help camping ally heroes protect your corpse better with a small buff, while you can't buff with skills or help them otherwise (since you're dead).

I have a few other ideas, but for now I'll leave you guys with these ones. Do tell me what you think, and I hope i can help in some ways. Cheers.

Level 19
Name: Shadow Orb
Type: Active
Icon: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/icons-541/btnxshadowball-159814/
Effect(s): Each hero that dies in range of 450 will refill the Orb souls. Each soul contains a mystic energy that the orb transforms. Upon releasing the souls, each soul contained will deal 50 damage to a enemy unit, and half of the damage to Hero. Can have a maximum of 6 souls.
Gives: +8 to all stats

Name: Berserker's Helm
Type: Active
Icon: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/icons-541/btnberserkershelm-161932/
Effect(s): Upon activation, the Hero enters into an berserker rage, making him invulnerable to spell/magic damage, giving him additional 50% of attack speed and 10% of movement speed. As the buff stays on the Hero, he will loose up to 20 of its current damage. Buff lasts 10 seconds.
Gives: +15 damage, +2 armor

Otaku Dash said:
Active: Overcharge -> Cannot be used withought at least 5 charges. Charges are gained as enemy heroes cast spells. After use, all charges are lost and in an Y AOE range, all enemy heroes caught by it lose all beneficial buffs for W time (?including passives? ideas?). Max charges 20, and for each 5 (meaning 4 levels max) the range increases by charges*50 range (max 20*50 = 1000).
What about this:

Overcharge: Every time an enemy hero casts a spell it gains a charge. Can have a maximum of MAX charges (20 is recommended) and must have a minimum of MIN charges (5 is a good number) in order to work.
On activation releases a blast that purges all enemy units within a X*C range (where X = 50 and C is the current number of charges). It also deals minor damage to purged units according to the formula X+(C*2).
Effects of purge: Removes all positive buffs from enemies and slows them. It also deals heavy damage to summoned units.

Function:Remains mainly the same. However it can be used to counter push heroes by killing their summons (it is the only item that kills summons so far). It can also slow enemies that are trying to flee from battle, allowing your carries to have an easy kill.

What do you think?

All your other ideas rock :p

Level 11
OK people, this is a mess. While we do appropriate all the ideas, they are just there with very little things to work of with, like from which other items they are made..
So lets do them differently.
First we will make basic items. Weaker items that don't need a recipe, have only 1 effect and so. Consumables go in there too. We need about 45-50+ items of this type. All next posts will must be about them.
Afterwords we will make higher ones that are derive from weakest non recipe items that can be bought on start of the game.
Thank you.

I will ask Xarwin to remove every post that doesn't contain ideas. Sorry, but I'm trying to prevent useless spam.

~HailFireer

Level 11
We have first one, but it is made so it works with the new attribute system. And yes, I thought about life steal, will be added.

Level 2
I just noticed we are missing wards... they should be considered basic utilities right? o_O

Sentry Pole: Gives X sight radius when used on a certain area.

Mist Watcher: Reveals Invisible units in Y sight radius when used on a certain area.

So in terms of basic items, should be think more on utility / attack modifiers or more in basic components? From what I understand we can't apply attribute modifiers so it makes them a little hard to figure new items without messing the attributes system by the player.

Anyways, I'll start getting my brain gears in place when I have time and try to think of some new ones.

Level 19
@ Otaku Dash & Flame_phoenix
Wards are NOT entirely necessary as they can ruin the abilities of heroes.
A ward which can see a certain area is fine but it should not contain the ability to reveal invisible units.
For this, I was thinking to include an item like dust of appearance but combined with an idea you guys gave me.
Casting this "dust of appearance" would cost mana and perhaps life, depending on what it is. In this way players need to focus and won't rely on dumb sentries which do all the work.

And M0rbid lol yes, later we'll base items on users.
First we need to get up some basics.

Level 8
Id just script my own invisibility system, with multiple stealth and detector levels.

It would not make unit un-targettable, just visually invisible. ( Or less visible, with less alpha vertex color. There are many possibilities. )

The only thing really is, that my idea requires you to remove blizzards health
bars and trigger them with either images or dummy units. ( both are viable options, you just gotta be able to change their alpha color.. )

Doing this would give you countless of options to do different kind of stealth mechanics. ( You could take stuff like Heros facing angle, distance to target and more in account... )

Also feel kinda uneasy. Too many of these item ideas and heroes feel too DotA inspired. Ive been having such high hopes for this project, because Xarwin is so cool guy.

Anyways, I know that its really too early to say anything yet. Ill be wathing this thread to see where this goes as well as giving moar ideas.

Good luck and everything.

Last edited:
Level 8
Yep, but war 3 is a RTS, and in AoS you only control one hero, which means that you can focus more on using items, so they can have new mechanics and much more interesting abilities that just passive bonuses. ( Like in most AoS maps )

Also repice items are really bad idea. They only exist because some map makers wanted to avoid some downsides caused by max 6 inventory slots for heroes.

Why are they bad?

Youll have to learn all the combinations and builds, correct shops and other stuff. Its not intuitive at all, unlike some attachable bonus power gems, for example.

So, please avoid repice items. They are not neccesary. There are countless of other ways, more user friendly ones.

Afaik, all items I suggested don't exist in Dota.
Casting this "dust of appearance" would cost mana and perhaps life, depending on what it is. In this way players need to focus and won't rely on dumb sentries which do all the work.
So, basically your plan is to allow invisible heroes to own everyone...
How do you expect to counter invis if you can't buy items to see invis ? According to your own suggestion the only way to kill invis is to kill yourself as well... how nice->now I can see you, but I have less HP than you ...

Level 8
If you use recipes, I recommend the auto complete option, like in RoW.
If I use recipes in Battlecrave (probably not going to, but still) I would use then that way.

The way it works is that you can buy the recipe and use it (click on it). If you have enough gold, the item will be complete.

Effect: Turns the Hero into an Archon, his appearance changes to a more darker and half invisible copy of himself, increasing his evade chance by 50%, but decreasing damage by 50%. Lasts 15 Seconds.
You are pathetic. You are stealing an idea from calbert and you don't even credit him. Your ideas are nothing like Dota, they aren't even your own.
If you use recipes, I recommend the auto complete option, like in RoW.
If I use recipes in Battlecrave (probably not going to, but still) I would use then that way.

The way it works is that you can buy the recipe and use it (click on it). If you have enough gold, the item will be complete.
And I know just the perfect system for that. I will be sure to tell Anachron about it :D

Status
Not open for further replies.