• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Hive Cup 2021: Melee Mapping Contest #8 - First Phase Results

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 27
HiveCup2021.png

first.png
phase.png

results-png.373717

>> Download All Entries! <<

At least top 5 submissions will be featured in the qualifier rounds and the final cup, as with last year.

The tournament will be played on Legacy/Classic/SD graphics.

other_prizes-png.311512

• 1st place: 750 experience points
  • 2nd place: 600 experience points
  • 3rd place: 450 experience points
  • 4th place: 300 experience points
  • 5th place: 150 experience points
  • Judge: 25 experience points per entry
The five winners will receive an award icon representing the winning entry.

other_judges-png.311510

other_entries-png.311509

other_contest_judging-png.311506

Layout
Do creeps have proper aggro? Are neutral buildings and expansions placed properly? Is there adequate spacing?/35

Creeps
Is the creeping fair for all races? How is the creeping flow? Are the item drops balanced?/35

Terrain

Is the map visually pleasing in terms of terrain, doodad placement, and overall theme? Is the map repetitive? Is the aesthetic well designed but not overly obstructive?
/10

Creativity & Uniqueness
Does the map bring something new or creative to the table?/20

Technical
Bugs and other technical issues will negatively impact the score of a map./-
Total/100

We are trying something new this year: there will be 2 phases of judging. The first phase is 30% public poll + 70% judges scores. After this, at least 5 maps are selected to be played in subsequent tournament, Hive Workshop Cup #3, as well as the qualifiers for it. After the tournament ends, the pro-player participants will have to submit scores for the maps that were played (exact format to be announced at a later date) – this is the second phase of judging. Final contest results will be calculated as 30% first phase +70% second phase.

FinalScore = ((30*Reached_Votes/POSSIBLE_VOTES) + (70*Average_Judge_Score/POSSIBLE_SCORE) * 0.30) + ((Average_ProPlayer_Score/POSSIBLE_SCORE) * 0.70)

-Three (3) multi-accounts have been detected in the poll. Their votes (in favor of StrickEagle's entry) will no longer be taken into account as this is against the rules.

-Damage received a 5% penalty for voting his own entry in the poll.

Dise Reviews

MisterWinner Reviews (Thanks to SaveOrcas for helping translate from Russian)

Ag3nt Reviews

NOTE: At least the top-5 maps will be included in the tournament, and therefore they will be the ones that will qualify for the second phase of judging. More details will be coming soon.

NOTE 2: Spring Melt will be renamed to Springtime for organizational purposes.

melee 8 results.png

Assigned Staff: @Riki

Contest | Poll | Second Phase Results

Attachments

• Dise_judging.docx
    23.2 KB · Views: 121
  • Ag3nt_judging.xlsx
    11.4 KB · Views: 87
  • MrWinner_judging.xlsx
    26.9 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
Level 12
seems like melee mapping contests are forever plagued to have some judging drama. and since we allready talked about it on discord and not everyone is reading that i would like to bring some attention to the issue.
I know my comment wont change the results but some judging decisions are just so blatantly wrong i have to point them out. And not just for my map, for every map.

some would say maybe i shouldnt get angry about a little mapping contest, what does it really matter. just accept it and move on. i would argue otherwise!
Making maps for warcraft is a nice little hobby/passion i have alongside others in my life. its a nice way to stay connected to the scene without playing the actual game.
i learned through countless of hours how to use the editor and create a skillset that allows me to build melee maps to the highest standards.
Thats my way to contribute to the warcraft3 scene just like backtowarcraft does with their casting. the passion that was build over the last 20 years to keep this game going. this game accompanied our lifes from childhood into the late twenties and early thirties. So yes i absolutly get a little angry if all that passion gets dumped on by some faulty judging.

actually i would like to start with the contest judging in general. if this contest is supposed to be about competitiv melee maps why is the point ''creativity'' valued with 20 points?
obviously a competitiv melee map wont have alot of ''new'' things or ideas because it is absolutly not wanted by the players. the only way to judge ''creativity'' under these circumstances is to value the little ideas a mapper has and still stays in this small scope we are allowed to maneuver in.
That means punishing a perfectly fine standard map with 2/20 and 5/20 for lack of creativity is absolutly bonkers.

maybe rethink those judging points for the next contest, either the value for creativity is lowered to 10 points and terrain 20, or make it more clear what this contest is about.

It would also make sense because having beautiful terrain is especially important for broadcasting the game and showing what we are capable of in this community. Making a decent terrain in warcraft3 is not easy and requires lots of practise, is the color composition pleasing, is there a overarching theme/storyline, is the texturing repetitive, doodad placement, unit movement, moving the eye on a subconscious level through texturing. do you go the extra mile and make the borders visually interesting, add eye candy where you can, come up with design ideas combining doodads and textures.

To give an example of storyline: In Fairly Tale the name is connected to the choice of texturing, doodads and creeps. It represents a magical pure tinker bell glittery woodland style, which is obviously a fairy tale. I copy pasted a short snipped of the Red Riding Hood Fairy Tale into the description box to connect the creepchoices (wolfes) and give an overall feel of danger even when everything feels innocent through the way its designed.

im not sure if anyone else of you guys does that but i think its important. things like that should give +5 for creativity:grin:

Now talking about agent, mr.winner and dise. Its nice to see that dise really took the time and put some effort into the process, thank your for that.:thumbs_up:
Mr. winners judging is more than questionable if you compare some of the point values. Agents judging seems logical and intelligent.

As for Fairly Tale i dont understand some parts from Dise review:

The starting position is far from the mine (minor issue). - which mine? the natural is as close as it gets

The nearest three spots do not give ~10 exp. to lvl 3. - thats just not true. they give exactly lvl 3 ?!?
The nearest green spot is far from the starting position, - its actually really close, which is easily verifiable if you had playtesed.
the observatory is deprived of forest, there is no way to creep it with a barrack/keeper, - there are enough trees to creep it with kotg, but i added some anyways
starting creeping is not equally possible for different players. - it absolutly is ?
Creeps with a course (33% miss debuff) are never welcome in wc3, too strong. - they are only placed on the second expansion, thats a point for creativity and not bad creeping spots seriously. if the game comes to a point where this spot is relevant the miss debuff will hardly be gamechanging.

in some places empty without decorations. - no idea where this should be, open areas usually dont have doodads so unit movement wont be interrupted, everything else is decorated

In general, there is nothing unique on the map, except for some creeps and mercenary camp. - and thats exactly the point

I will continue tomorrow, its getting kinda late

Last edited:
Level 7
I really love the top 5-7 maps that won this first phase. I have no doubt they are the best. I love Deja Vu and SnowMelt. Strong effort here.

However, it's true what Meerel says about creativity points.
In general, "creativity, uniqueness and terrain" points are just the opposite of what a competitive map should have. Just look at the last 5 maps of the ranking, they are shockingly different to common 1v1 maps.

Please, don't get angry. We all have an opinion about maps and people. Be gentle :xxd:

Level 16
I dont agree with the poll score wich was 25 in previous contest, now raised to 30, but I acepted it, I am not writting with red color against it.
You should have voiced out your opinion at the beggining, and still the organicers are in no need to respond, they have control of the rules and judging criteria.
If you take a close look at the formula, voting is not actually weighted 30%, it distributes a set amount of 30 points no matter how many people participated in the contest or in the voting ;)

These 30 points are distributed between 18 participants, so actually the voting is weighted more like ~5%.

Level 12
most of the stuff people talk about will stay in discord so you might have missed that wolffarkas. furthermore i can talk as much as i want on a forum, isnt that the platform for rather long discussions? i made some valid points and my story with warcraft is a big part of it.

anyways, i dont think comparing minimap pictures is a decent way to point out similarities. last refuge is unique because of its small narrow pathing and the restricted choices it gives the players to navigate without losing mapcontrol. it splits right infront of the mainbase.

i usually try to interweave pathing so players can reach every location without interruption aswell as giving every race enough space in open areas and conneting passages. that alone makes every map unique, not the placement of neutral buildings.
It is somewhat to be expected by players to find certain buildings in certain locations, its based on the mappool we had for the last 15 years.

I want to make clear that my main point is the judging on creativity. i could have said something beforehand but i wasnt active around that time, i picked up on the contest rather coincidentally.

anything else i point out is just my opinion. and thats rather harsh most of the time.

Level 7
Axiomatic fallacy, you are setting something as true, and put the evidence later, there is no solid evidence later, so is just axiomatic,
this is true, you are not even considering a posibility, it may be true... this...
You are going too wild here. Calm down 🙃

I dont agree with this statement at all.
A map can be balanced, new and unique and creative.

Is true that pro/players/casters and judges will pick what they think, with their criteria, that is totally different from our mind, what they are willing to play in a contest, they not us.

each contest will have different judges that will have different tastes,
And NE player will be more fanatic with AOW and trees.
An UD will count and value critters positions.
Some punish aggro, some dont, I saw that before.
thats something to accept, there is no perfect judging process.
Now if 3 judges dont like something, well is a good idea to re-think the map.

Let me try to explain what I mean with uniqueness, creativity, terrain and more stuff.

According to the rules:

Terrain
Is the map visually pleasing in terms of terrain, doodad placement, and overall theme? Is the map repetitive? Is the aesthetic well designed but not overly obstructive?

Creativity & Uniqueness
Does the map bring something new or creative to the table?

Tilesets
We all know that some tilesets are never chosen in maps: Black citadel, Felwood, dungeon, full snow maps, outlands,... It's kind of prohibited. You hardly ever see them in competitive 1v1 because it's not pleasing to watch. Aesthetics are questionable for many players.

Asymmetrical maps
Only the ones that Blizzard make. Rest are out of the pool. None wants them. It's imbalanced by default.

Doodads related to the specific tilesets
Many tree doodads are almost prohibited in 1v1 as they are not as clear as the normal ones (lordaeron). Those mushroom trees from the outlands for example. Sunken ruins palm trees? hardly ever seen. Some other trees are extremely huge that seems annoying to work with them in base.

Neutral buildings
How many times we have seen dragon nest or portals in a competitive 1v1 map? What about a harbor? What about mercenary camps rather than lordaeron ones? maybe one or two seens? What about mana fountains?

Creeps
Lost the count of the creeps none wants in competitive maps. Starting from those that people consider hard, or annoying. Also the ones that come from the above tilesets.. If there are many creeps or high level ones in one spot, its too hard. If there are only mele, its unbalanced, if they are only ranged, imbalanced as well, if they all fly, imbalanced. Items or runes drop? Same problem. Go to the standar drop or your map is useless.

It's hard to surprise anyone with creativity, uniqueness, creeps and terrain in this way. Let me take some words from a discord teammate who evaluated all maps before the poll started:

Zucth (Credits to this guy, I love him)
[...]
Rusty Creek: As you know everything is perfect no flaws, the only things is it boring...
Ice Forest: Emptiness + red mines are very safe with high ground and it was hide around the another camp. Not sure about creep aggro. But possible.
Corrupted Flow: No idea, no info... other than that unreadable minimap.
Ancient Blood: Everything is on the corner like Amazonia, but the question is will it work with the size this map have?
Bay of Storms: Another Amazonia style but with aggro and AoW question mark, fountain at the corner... look like an all out map. Quite empty...
Sludge Fen: Duplicate of Echo of Isles 2.0 but with dangerous AoW spot. safe lv24 spot.
Separated World: this is not a competitive map.
[...]

And he is damn right. Many maps are very similar to the rest, because It's hard to surprise.😂😂

Level 12
ok first of all not finished maps will be excluded right from the start so i wont get into detail about them.
that includes: Ancient blood, seperate worlds, corrupted flow, sludge fan and fifth virtue. they all get 0 Points

the fact that the judges gave equal or more points to any of those maps compared to well made finished ones is baffling. (only mr. winner)

crystals below is either 0 for a competitiv map or 95 for a little fun map. its really well made and i would like to see it played in competitiv but its just not gonna happen.

40 Bay of Storms: The open areas of the map are too big, creepspots will aggro when walking past, Textures are monotonous, overall nothing to consider
Judges: 53 36 57 - dise and agent pointed out the same, mr.winner gave 20 points for creativity.......seriously.

50 SnowMelt: Textures are okish, the green poison color of the water is iritating. the main path between the bases is too short, open areas are too big, some really narrow tunnel pathing sometimes, the whole map is split in different sections through those really big terrain features on both sides in the middle. weak layout in general.
Judges: 66 73 81 - dise said basically the same, agent gave 35 on layout and 8 for terrain, thats surprising if we compare those points with other maps, same for mr. winner. maybe they where confused and thought this one is springmelt. certainly doesnt make sense.

50 Nortwestern River: Amateurish texturing at best, Doodad spam, creepspot flow from the mainbase is weird, the creeps at the natural are really strong, i still think the bottom right corner doesnt make any sense even with the added path. the area infront of the mainbase is really empty and too big.
Judges: 86 67 70 - dise almost gave perfect mapscore on all juding topics, maybe im missing something, agent again with the 30 on layout, and mr. winner seems to follow the same idea and even gave 10 on Terrain. What? im out of words

65 Throne of Tides: Well a typical zucth map which im not a fan of. i mean he has his style which is fine but questionable for competitiv. color composition is not present, its confusing in every aspect. doodad spam in every place, its a circle syndrom map which is the most boring and simple map layout, the areas in general are too big. creeps are ok i guess
Judges: 62 78 73 - dise gave 29 on layout and 10 for terrain, agent and mr.winner with basically the same scoring. like guys terrain is not based on your own opinion there is a guideline to follow, and this map breaks everything this judging topic queries. unbelievable

65 Wurmspine Wood: Areas are too open, good texturing besides the sand, has a nice theme, in general way too big.
Judges: 51 77 68 - surpsingly dise agrees here, agent again with the 35. just no. mr.winner aswell with the 30 on layout and 10 for terrain. this sand stuff alone is so obstructive to the eye it cant have 10 on terrain even when the rest is perfectly fine. to make it a good melee map the author would have to make the map significantly smaller which is equal to a total new map which rules out the high layout scores.

65 Rusty Creek: 4 Player map thats is actually a real 4 player map in size. so its actually too big to be considered for a 1v1 match. Still its a kaer map which means it is carefully crafted i have no doubt about it. the texturing in general, the doodad placement and overall design feels lackluster. im not sure what to say, its a fine map but i feel it doesnt belong in this contest.
Judges: 63 78 80 - dise feels the same and pointing out some creepproblems, agent with a rather low score on layout, pointing out the hard expo and still gave 35 on creeps. mr.winner with the 34/34. which i would agree on in a 2v2 map contest.

70 Ice Forest: This one is difficult, i could see it to be really good but not in the submitted form. it has alot of weird doodad placement, obstructing unit movement, the creeps aggro when players path, the open areas in general are way too big, item drops are weird on some spots, creepcomposition looks like a clown fiesta. but still in general i think there is something to be valued.
Judges: 80 45 78 - dise brings the same opinion, agent doesnt really like it with the 16 on layout, i guess we really dont have the same idea about a warcraft map even tho he gave fairy tale 35, mr.winner seems to like it, again with the 10 on terrain which is a joke.

85 Full Moon: Mr.Henci said he didnt have much time for this one and it shows unfortunatly. dont think there is actually 1 doodad on this map besides the tress.
Still i bow down to your ability to create a 3 player map, that alone is 20 for creativity. could be a bit smaller tho :D. The textures are subperb as expected. i know you got the tileset from arrr- but still good job. only 85 in the end for the sizeproblem.

Judges: 74 77 57 - dise again with the same opinion, agent on board aswell giving the 35 on layout which seems a little high, mr.winner going bonkers with the creepscore 10 and creativity 5..........god dammit dude

85 Spring Melt: A welcome suprise in the mapping scene beeing joined by saveorcas and going straight to the top, good job on that. 85 is a really high score but in comparison with the other submissions its justified. the layout is strongish even if it has circle syndrom, the creeps are ok. the areas could be a little smaller in general. you will figure it out in time. the only thing that really bothers me is the use of a transition textures in big areas, there is a reason why its not a main texture. it feels overly obstructive on the eyes. the theme requires it unfortunatly but i would rather use a different theme to avoid the issue.
Judges: 60 86 81 - dise with the very low score on layout, i think he is confused with the corners. please remove those. agent with the very high 35 which is exaggerated for sure. mr.winner folling up with the 34/34 which is again too high but ok.

100 DejaVu: Perfect 4 player map for 1v1
Judges: 60 82 85 - no idea what dise is smoking on this one, agent solid judging which is suprising considering his other 35's. mr.winner solid on this one.

100 Rune Maul: Perfect map, nothing much to say here
Judges: 78 73 49 - dise with the rather low layout score unfortunatly, agent with the low creativity score....i would give 20 points for the tileset alone. and mr.winner totally losing it with under 50 overall.....

100 Fairy Tale: Obviously
Judges: 66 80 59 - allready said everything on dise part, agent with the 35/35 which is nice but considering the other maps he gave 35/35 im not so sure what to think about it. and mr.winner with the 13 on creeps because he doesnt like 1 satyr creep....thats reasonable for sure.

Level 12
Hey bah I'm glad you weren't a judge on this contest Meerel... lol
More seriously, where is your goal in whine since yesterday? Your map is in the 7, you are a very good mapper, make your modifications and win! There, turn on all the maps to complain about the judges! Go tell them not to us, it won't matter if we repeat it to us. Almost everyone said the same thing as you on the creation and company notes ...
So what is the point of repeating I do not understand there. This is only my second tournament, I have no map in ladder, I've been making maps for a while, but I haven't been exhibiting them for a long time. There it does not make me want to continue ... I repeat your map is in the first 7 so still in the race.
Even I said at one point that your map was the best, many others too, so what is your delirium? On the contrary f ** k, go see the new ones and explain them how to become good mappers and show us what we can't see on our maps! As much as I really like your maps for having played above but as much the mentality I do not agree at all. Dude, take 2/3 days in your corner! leave other people's maps alone, calm down and come back with a better mentality. Doing drama for nothing is counterproductive. 20 years that I know the game like many, just there for passion and fun not there to see it! Have fun man!

Last edited:
Level 16
So you give 120x120 Deja Vu 100/100 Points and "Perfect 4 player map for 1v1" but 104x104 Rusty Creek 65/100 Points and "too big to be considered for a 1v1 match"? Sounds perfectly reasonable! 🤡

Judging 18 maps isn't nearly as straight forward as you seem to believe and your scores have at least as many flaws as any of the three official judges.

Level 22
Gotta write it here as well since some people are not in the melee mapping discord:
Gratz to all, with special mentions to @SaveOrcas for making it big with his 1st map and to @WolfFarkas - it has been a pleasure seeing you grow as a mapper with every contest. It's rather nice seeing new names up there and to see the overall quality grow.

And thanks to Meerel for the good laughs and lovely drama 👌 I myself could object the scoring with a stronger basis in regards to the streams from the judging (though I would have to care first) but here we are objecting some subjective preferences in creativity 😅

Level 27
The point of having multiple judges for a contest is to have different points of view for each entry. If you expect to have absolutely objective reviews, then why do you need 3 judges who end up giving you exactly the same score?

Judging contests, and especially those with +10 entries, is a very hard work. A judge always has some personal preferences that other judges probably do not have and that will subjectively influece, in varying degrees, how they end up assigning the participants' scores.

Personally, I think it's good that this discussion is taking place here and that everyone can contribute their point of view on the subject. But please, I want you to maintain order and respect above all.

Level 16
The starting position is far from the mine (minor issue). - which mine? the natural is as close as it gets
Dise is obviously not talking about the natural, he's talking about the starting goldmine. Spawn position is too far from the goldmine, so it isn't saturated with 5/5 workers for Human and Orc. Generally I think the base layout is subpar for competitive play with treeline being too close and goldmine being too far. The current setup screws with the desired building placement for all races.

/edit
I didn't check if Dise is correct about mine saturation, but from editor perspective the spawn looks too far indeed.

Attachments

• Unbenannt.png
    Unbenannt.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 53
Level 17
Hi all,

Before everything ironed out, let me announce the basic details of the upcoming qualifiers cup.

Mappol: Top-7 maps of the 8th mapping contest are selected.
Prize money: total prizepool of 600 EUR.
Qualifier dates: There will be three qualifiers, taking place next week on December 20, 22 and 23 (Mon, Wed and Thu). Start time: 18:00 CET.
Qualifier format: TBA. Provisional info: all rounds bo3, 3 maps in the mappool, only the winner advances to the main event (and is barred from participating in subsequent tournaments). In addition to qualified players, top players of the last season will be directly invited.
Registration: free for everybody. Links: Quali 1, Quali 2, Quali 3.

Main event format: The main event will be organised as a series of Best-of-7 showmatches, but it will still have rounds where players who win 4+ maps (all 7 maps are always played) are invited to participate in subsequent round of showmatches. Money is awarded for each map won, as well as a premium for partaking in each of the rounds.
Main event dates: TBA. It's near impossible to do before January, so the tournament will spill into 2022.

Additional: currently, some additional showmatches are being planned that may feature the runner-up maps. These are not a part of the contest per se. Details to be confirmed.

Sorry that this is just an outline, more info will be disclosed soon. On the bright side, remodemo of Back2Warcraft said that he'd like to cast our qualifiers. Just as befits the official partner of the tournament:grin:

Stay tuned!

PS:
:peasant-i-object::peasant-i-object::peasant-i-object:Important note to map-makers: you have a few days to make any changes you wish to your map; strong map revisions are not encouraged, but fixing blatant bugs such as improper goldmine/StartLoc positioning is a must.:peasant-i-object::peasant-i-object::peasant-i-object:

mafe

Map Reviewer
Level 24
Oh well, wouldnt be a contest without some drama ;)

Anyway, congratulations to all of the winners. I hope the tournament will be a success.

I also was surprised at some of the scores. But such is the nature of a contest with judges. Here in germany we have a proverb which roughly translates to "It's the fish who needs to like the bait, not the fisherman". In this sense, we should take the discrepancy in opinions as a reminder that getting the approval of players is a very important part of making a successful map. And that sometimes players see things differently, whether we mappers like it or not. But on the other hand, our three judges had quite contradiciting opinions on some maps too, so while I think their feedback is (very) important, it should not automatically the be-all-end-all verdict that sticks with a map forever.

For me, I would very much like to thank Dise, ag3nt and MisterWinner for being judges and investing their time for this contest. Anyone who thinks he can do better is certainly welcome to a judge in a future contest.

And last but not least, a big thanks to @Nightmare2077 for giving a reason to have such contests and for hosting the upcoming cup. And also thanks to @Riki and anyone else involved in organizing the cup.

Level 26
Congratz to everyone, thank to all the judge hard work :3

Welp, I would say my opinion then it's also including before me and the after me from this contest. First of all you are not the judge for this time meeral :psmile:. I have an idea in my mind where should I focus at. I agree with you about my layout I can't come up with any good layout so it end up with this boring circle you have mention. I don't have to say that I have done like 5 layout with 7 difference right? Why does it has to be circle? The answer is easy... It's to make the theme of the map work the best flow, and the theme is crazy middle contest. So that bad boring layout was the best come out I could have in a two week(You didn't think that the map will be perfect without a time to polish aren't you?).You were right about two things on my prediction and my goal. I didn't think this map is perfect, it has many flaws... Well, I know that very well, I predict that my map best place at the most would be at 8th placed, you can ask people in the discord about this lol, I just being honest here. The second point I focus here was the tile set. For what reason I would looking for a tile set? First it was because the poll vote score. Not many people know about how to melee mapping, normally human would look at it appearance first so I choose it right away following those theory. You can call me crazy :mwahaha: and yeah the result surprise me. (Sometime things aren't goes the way you predict because the aspect between the words call player and mapper.) I have the idea that sometimes you just don't see what picture we are having one our mind, and I feel like you thought that you're probably the only one who can think of this(I won't say which one was it). After reading this drama, which led me to come up with all my opinions.

If the judge would be someone like Mafe/Tenshi/Knecht/Rhythmt(Arrr)/Henci I would go for the Crystalline City which is the best of me right now :3
and if it someone who not a fans of my tile like Meeral/Cigaro/Nudl I would go for L.Summer Tile right away. I would say that my entry is difference it's up to name of the judge. So get back to the first where I mention that you are not the judge in this contest Meeral... I think that's enough reason for what you criticize me so far. Also yea if you want a better contest next time be a judge when Nightmare ask for one :D

I feel sad about Wolf decision, I won't say anything about the past but I would like to say that I always feel like I'm not good enough, and I wanna push CC to replace ToT so much(you can ask riki for an evidence) until the word Meeral say

"ToT: kinda wacky on the aesthetics but that's to be expected on a zucth map :ugly: "
"CC: "Ok that's some acid trip texturing and doodad mashup for sure(which mean that he didn't like my result texture), it has a very easy circle design which works but isn't particular interesting (which mean that your map is bad either way.)"

So if it's gonna come out both bad anyway. Let's goes with what I decide first let not sway by this guy word. Well Meeral is some who gave me the courage to decide the last change. It's not bad :3 I rather say Thank! and the result is as you see, even you say that I'm terrible but I won't give up lol you already give me one, I won't take it twice :grin: If you think that you can made me drop this, just giving up man. Also ToT is too big (84x88), while Dejavu has a perfect 1v1 size (120x120). I was like oh.. okay.. sure :con: I don't understand how is this work but fine okay, it's fine xD

I also have a bias on everyone map but I just didn't say it. I didn't trying a be a good perfect people I say my opinion on every map in the discord and seem like someone already put some of it above this somewhere without a permission, But I didn't get mad it's just human nature(sorry, but I can't find any better way to describe :gg:). Those opinion of mine are longer than this but I better not say it to make this go anymore negative. No one is perfect, everyone have their own unique point it's just about how the community see them as.

If you found this a threat to you then farewell. but if you found this a funny one, I appreciate it. I trying to write something more creative here, after saw a depression comment :D Also if this continue any longer I would have to go find more popcorns and cola. :xxd:

Last edited:
Level 29
I wanted to share some nice experiences about the Hive-cup.
I remember the first Hive-cup, mappers had 15 days to map or submit a pre-made map. It was quite a challange to map something new, and it was the shortest melee contest, there was not much time to think about, so I rushed to have a new map, I screw some distances and creeps, enviroment was a bit wild but overall it was a nice try. I got the 11th place.

The second Hive cup had more time, 1 month, when I was crafting my map, I made a mistake in the layout, so I started from cero, another map, going with a safe standard recipe and I managed to get 9th place, an improve, competitors were very hard, like 15-16 experienced mappers participed. I think that was my first solid map.

In the 4v4 I got 6th place. Cool.

And now in this 3rd edition of the Hive-cup, well I think I gained confidence to try new things with the gamplay. And I could make a small map 84x84.

Overall is nice all the experience I have gathered so far.
Looking foward for more mapping contest in the future.

Last edited:
Level 12
As has been mentioned a lot, I think the two spawns are a bit too direct on SnowMelt. I don't know if it will be possible to modify it before the final tournament. But if it's not too aggressive, it develops the rest of the map well.
For the other two maps, from what I saw, I found the games very nice and very open. Nice Job

Status
Not open for further replies.