• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Hero Contest #6 - The First Invasion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 33
hey can I use my requested spells :D hahahaha

All spells must have been made after the start of this contest; no previous work is allowed.

Please, learn to read the rules.

On the other hand, I'm afraid that this contest would be left un-judged (since there is no judge appear yet).
Usually, for a spell contest, there would be a volunteer after the next 2-3 days, but no one has appeared yet :/

Level 16
WIP #2:
Changes:
  • Various bug fixes;
  • Buff tooltips;
  • The ultimate has been implemented.

ToDo list:
  • Make sure everything is leakless, and do some improvements to the code, if possible;
  • Fix the terrain modification algorithm of the Hailstorm (yes, it doesn't work properly, a lot of ice is left behind);
  • Make sure all the tooltips are appropriate;
  • Write a background story;
  • Finish the test map.

Reminder: you have to cast Hailstorm twice, to start the effect; once you start to cast it first, you'll have to select another destination, and you can't cancel the cast.

I'm still eager to get some feedback, so far I've gotten zero.

EDIT: apparently I can't write the tooltip in XML style. Too bad. Uploaded another version.

Attachments

• Hero Contest 6 - Luorax.w3x
    498 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Level 17
Ok, quick (if a bit foolish) question: is it safe to assume we can use models that are hosted here if we credit the creator?

Ok,thank you,but the only resource allowed in the spells section are the systems right?

Guys, you must read the rules properly.
YES, you can use models as long as you give credit.
YES, you can use other systems, as long as they aren't spells.
NO, you cannot use one of your previous spells; you have to start from scratch.

Last edited:
Level 33
I think the first thread format should also include on "HOW TO JOIN" section, explaining how to join a contest which in this case, it should be:

REQUIREMENTS TO JOIN THIS CONTEST
1. Must at least contains one (1) WiP (Work in Progress) before submit the final work.
2. The spells must be MUI.
3. etc etc.

Level 16
Yet another wip, the third one:
Changes:
  • Various bug fixes & code improvements;
  • Proper tooltip for Remorseless Winter;
  • Improved Hailstorm's terrain modification.

ToDo list:
  • Fix Hailstorm (still doesn't seem to work properly; it goes insane when it's cast twice on the same spot);
  • Write a background story;
  • Finish the test map.

Reminder: you have to cast Hailstorm twice, to start the effect; once you cast it first, you'll have to select another destination, and you can't cancel the cast, nor move until it's cast properly.

I'm still eager to get some feedback, so far only one person gave me, and he was my friend. I can't believe that none has thoughts on the hero, he's not that bad.

Attachments

• Hero Contest 6 - Luorax.w3x
    506.1 KB · Views: 44
Level 10
I've been working on something for this and I'll have a WIP to post soon. Very excited for this contest. =)

EDIT

I should mention I'm making a full Defense/RPG level to showcase my hero. I realize that's not part of the contest, but I want to anyway. I intend to have it done before the contest ends; if I do I'll post it all here.

My hero is currently about 3/4 of the way to where I want her. Two of the abilities are done, the other two I'm still tinkering with.

Last edited:
Level 14
I will join this contest. My hero choice is a priest that is good in both healing and dealing damage by various sourses.

Spells so far :

Starting Spell/Signature spell:
Blinding Light -

Active: Forces an enemy demon to remain in place for 4 seconds and take 25 damage per second. At the end of this spell the hero restores 5% of his total mana.
Duration: 4 sec
Cooldown: 10 sec
Mana cost : 0

SPELL 1: Holy Well -

Passive: Restores 20% of the hero's maximum health when activated.

Active: Creates a well of holy powers that regenerates nearby friendly units and shoots holy bolts at demons who draw in 600 range of the well. Those unfortunate enough to move directly into the well are damaged for 40/80/120 damage per second.
Duration : 6 seconds.
Healing: 5/10/15 hp per second
Holy bolts damage: 8/16/24
Holy bolts per second: 2
Cooldown: 18 sec
Mana cost: 100

SPELL 2: Redemption -

Passive: When the priest gets struck by a demon, the enemy will be stunned for 2 seconds. This effect has 5 seconds cooldown and is not affected by the rank of the spell. Stun duration for enemy heroes is 1 second.

Passive: Increases the Inteligence and Agility of the hero by 2 for each 5% of health missing. This is not affected by the rank of the spell.

Active: Surrounds a unit with a holy shield that makes it take no damage from attacks other than spells. Each time the unit is struck it will regenerate 5% of its maximum health. Cannot be cast on self.
Duration: 3 seconds
Cooldown : 7 seconds
Mana cost: 65

SPELL 3: Weapon of faith -
Passive: Units that die while carrying the mark of the priest will spawn a light orb that heals allies within 500 range of them for 10 hp/s for 6 seconds. Multiple orb effects do not stack with each other.

Active: The priest imbues his staff with the power of light. Enemies attacked by him are marked and will take increased damage with each subsequent strike.
Damage: 90 and doubles every next attack of the priest with this spell activated.
Duration of the mark: 60 seconds /70 seconds / 80 seconds
Cooldown: 8 seconds / 7 seconds / 6 seconds
Mana cost : 60 / 65 / 70

SPELL 4 (ULTIMATE):

Level 14
A spell is technically a button on the action tab of the game itself. I will create 4, they will just have more effects that sum up together. Why waste a slot to make a passive spell when you can put passives via triggers and other ways in all spells giving diffrent combinations. My spells will be active but also give passive bonuses when learned.

I'v also read that the hero can also have a signature spell that is not overpowering the main spells and has no ranks or level ups , so I will do such too.
You are allowed to use sub-spells, as long as the total count equals to 1 (one) and the sub-spell itself is not more powerful than the root spell.

What rule am I breaking again?

A footman hero who uses 4 spells and has a sub-spell like Defend seems legit to me.

Level 16
I'v also read that the hero can also have a signature spell that is not overpowering the main spells and has no ranks or level ups , so I will do such too.

Yes, it was the signature spell that bothered me, and I don't see it mentioned in the main post that we're allowed to implement such spells. If it really is true then I'll take my last post back and you can have my apologies (and shame on Pharaoh for not listing such an important information where it is supposed to - or if it is, then I shall receive a "handicapped" award), otherwise you'll have to work on the concept a little more (or just get rid of the signature ability completely) :)

Level 14
Well it sais Sub-spell in the original first post. Maybe I am missundertanding what a sub-spell is but to me it sounds just like that - a spell that heroes sometimes have as default. usually not very strong or just supportive. It would be a shame to remove it because it was actually supporting my 1st spell - the holy well. Idea is to use the signature spell to root an enemy to the ground and cast the well directly underneath them to deal massive damage over time.

By the way I'v tested your hero. One thing was bugging me and it was that there is no range indicator for the falling icy balls spell and also it would be nice to create some tiny effect probably stealthed that appears when you cast the first time so you dont forget where is the start of the ice wall/balls (w/e) and to figure out what the range to spread it is.

My idea was that you create a dummy unit with the model of any of the cast circles (e.g. when you cast a aoe spell - the circle that appears to select area) and center the dummy at the first cast of the spell. Size it so that the borders of the circle is the range where the player can cast the second spell and create a wall.
The dummy unit should probably have some sort of invisibility so its not seen by enemies.

Sub-spell is a spell that appears on the hero's tab, once a certain skill is learned (the main one) and the sub-spell is thus added or when you cast a certain skill (the main one) and the sub-spell is added to the hero until the end of the main's effect. This is basically how it works. It's a spell that enhances or completes the functionality of the parent spell. Do note that the judge should only review the main spell and how well does the sub-spell bind with it, along with the necessity of the latter.

Level 5
my 2nd WIP...!!!

i have 2 questions to ask,
(read this after checking out the attached map)
1. the hammer of purification is based on morph ability(bear form), every time it is cast there is an increase in the base damage!!! where is it coming from?!?
2. i add passives through disabled spell books (i want the buff but not the icon), there is a delay in change in effect (damage/armour increase) when i increase level of passive to match the level of ability.

do i move these questions to some forum???

Attachments

• The Purifier.w3x
    188.5 KB · Views: 40
Level 16
By the way I'v tested your hero. One thing was bugging me and it was that there is no range indicator for the falling icy balls spell and also it would be nice to create some tiny effect probably stealthed that appears when you cast the first time so you dont forget where is the start of the ice wall/balls (w/e) and to figure out what the range to spread it is.

My idea was that you create a dummy unit with the model of any of the cast circles (e.g. when you cast a aoe spell - the circle that appears to select area) and center the dummy at the first cast of the spell. Size it so that the borders of the circle is the range where the player can cast the second spell and create a wall.
The dummy unit should probably have some sort of invisibility so its not seen by enemies.

Well, first of all, thanks for taking your time to test it and sharing your thoughts with me, I appreciate it :)

I showed a friend of mine the hero, and he also told me that I should add an indicator circle once it's cast first, so that the player would know in which area are they allowed to cast it again. I was thinking of adding a selection circle effect around the hero (it would only be visible to the player; there's no need for invisibility, GetLocalPlayer works perfectly). The marker effect is unnecessary though, as in the most cases you just click twice (you should, as you can't move anymore before the second cast), it would only show a death animation. It's also not hard to keep in mind where it was.

Level 29
This is my last WIP, the final product will be posted before the deadline...
attachment.php

Spell 1 - Frost Waves
Spell 2 - Crystal Blades
Spell 3 - ???
Ultimate - ???

Attachments

• Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 312
  • HC #6.w3x
    113.6 KB · Views: 50
Level 10
Time to share my WIP. I'm still fleshing out exactly what the Ultimate summon will do - leaning towards a lot of passives to make sure it doesn't "feel" like extra abilities for the hero. Anyways, take a look.

Credit goes to CRAZYRUSSIAN for the icon and Tarrasque for the model.

Death Speaker - AGI (summoner, healer)
Preview:

attachment.php

Backstory:
These dark priestesses have come forth from the shadowy jungle cities of the trolls to join in the fight against the Burning Legion. Masters of life and death, the Death Speakers straddle the boundary between this world and the next.

While some frown upon their use of necromancy, the Death Speakers know that the time for squeamishness is past. Whether drawing strength from the enemies they slay or raising fallen allies outright from the dead, they employ any means necessary in order to ensure their people's survival.

Still, rumors abound that the priestesses are not all they seem, and that some dark bargain has been struck in order to grant them their uncanny powers...

Abilities:

BTNGhoul.png

Ghoul Minions
The Death Speaker summons 2/3/4 Ghoul Minions to aid her for 60 seconds.
If you've learned Blood Runes, Ghouls have a chance to drop healing runes when they die.

bloodlust.gif

Blood Runes - autocast
Adds bonus damage to the Death Speaker's attacks. If the target dies while under the effect of Blood Runes, it has a chance to drop a rune that heals 75/150/300 hit points to nearby friendly units.

BTNForestTrollShadowPriest.png

Revive Troll - no target
Raises a nearby troll corpse from the dead. The troll will revive with 50/80/100% of its hit points.

sobimask.gif

Ultimate: Sacrifice
Invokes the powers of life and death. Using this spell kills the Death Speaker instantly, but summons a brutally powerful creature to fight her enemies.
Lasts 30 seconds.

deathspeaker.png

Level 16
I know how to use GetLocalPlayer properly :)

This is one of the most basic tricks:
JASS:
local string s=""
if GetLocalPlayer()==this.owner then
    set s="MyEffectModel.mdl"
endif
set this.sfx=AddSpecialEffectTarget(s,this.caster,"origin")

I'm not going to add that circle though. I tried, but the selection circle model is weird, and even if I center my hero with it, he's just not in the middle of the circle.

Another note that I managed to fix the Hailstorm (finally), so I'm done with all the spell codes; there's only the test map and the background story left to do.

Level 14

Here is a WIP from me. Part of Blinding Light is done, the Holy Well is done completely. The lighwell triggers are mostly just for the sake of good looking spell. The middle of the well will get brighter and brighter the longer the well stays and it will detonate at the end. I still havent added any damage for the detonation.
I havent configured levels of the well yet in the triggers.

Reactions: Rui
Status
Not open for further replies.