1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Group up and create a Warcraft hero based on a member of the Hive and win up to 100 rep and a rank icon. Enter the team contest now!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Music Contest #8 Results are out! Congratulate the creators of Hive's coolest soundtracks!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
  5. The results for Mini-Mapping Contest #14 is up! Congratulate the winners here!
    Dismiss Notice

Happy 15th Birthday Warcraft 3!

Discussion in 'Latest Updates and News' started by StoPCampinGn00b, Jul 3, 2017.

1. StoPCampinGn00b

StoPCampinGn00b

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Today, Warcraft III turns 15 years old since it was first released on July 3, 2002.
    Happy Birthday to our favorite game! Click the image for full size :grin:

[​IMG]

2. StoPCampinGn00b

StoPCampinGn00b

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Thank you to those who provided quotes!

Hive Workshop
    @APproject - single-player map developer; Author of Iceborn, Acheron's Affliction, and more
    @General Frank - Veteran models creator, Model Reviewer
    @Heinvers - 2D Art Moderator; skin, terrain, and icon creator
    @Kam - Patch moderator, head of Hive Feedback Team / Blizzard contact
    @MindWorX - WC3 coder, previous maintainer of JNGP, developer of the SharpCraft & WEX world editor
    @Ralle - Site's Creator and Owner
    @StoPCampinGn00b - Site Community Manager, Administrator, and Social Media Manager
    @Zwiebelchen - Author of Gaias Retalliation ORPG

Guests
    @EagleMan - Diplomunion Administrator, previous developer of Azeroth Wars LR, current developer of Greece
    @Jannes Tjarks (Neo) - Warcraft 3 eSports caster of Back2Warcraft, Blizzard contact
    @Lisk - Original Legion TD author, Legion TD 2 standalone developer
    @ugrilainen - Warcraft 3 journalist (W3arena, Warcraft3.info, Reddit.com/r/wc3, Twitter)
    @WTii - YouTuber, Streamer

There could have been so many others, and it was extremely hard to pick. So don't feel left out! You can definitely share your own stories and memories down below.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Chaosy

Chaosy

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    "Even got it for free" - Chaosy the almighty

4. A Void

A Void

Resources:
    Models:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Gotta admit, Warcraft 3 aged really well. What makes this whole experience is the community and modding support - this is what keeps the game alive.

5. OutsiderXE

OutsiderXE

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    "15 years already... I was around 17 years old when I was sitting at school, reading Lord of the Clans and other WC novels, ignoring whatever nonsense my teachers were babbling. Now I can say it was totally worth it. I've created 3 campaigns I like to play and update and most players seem to like them. Thanks to the trigger editor I learned basic programming, and I now work as programmer for a consulting company."

- OutsiderXE

6. PrinceYaser

PrinceYaser

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Template:
    Resources:
    15 years old...

Still it's a great game to me and it's popular to all of us yet. I started this game when I was about 12 years old. I played a lot of games at that time but no game was interested me like WC3! It was like I found my missing half! :D

Habby birthaday WC3!

7. aeman

aeman

Resources:
    Resources:
    wow im 3 months younger than Warcraft 3

8. MyPad

MyPad

Resources:
    Resources:
    I started playing Warcraft 3 back in 2003, where I thought multiplication was still rocket science and ordinary words sounded alien to me.

Happy 15th Birthday!!

9. Remixer

Remixer

Resources:
    Models:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Happy 15th Birthday

10. Alxen345

Alxen345

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I remember being 9 years old, my cousin showed me this awesome game. (He was playing it because of DotA Allstars then). I fell in love with the game since then. I remember playing Monolith day and night with my friends, DotA, many Castle Defense mods and many others. With each patch released, the game evolved even better. The program called World Editor is what led the modding magic touch us all. We all became "game designers" with the mods made by us. I would like to mention some extraordinary people that created awesome games for Warcraft 3 (No, I cannot call them mods, since they are too good) :
    1) @SpasMaster - Sunken City (The best by far! The best I say, RPG dungeon crawling game with highly advanced mechanisms, cool heroes, addicting gameplay that feels like the first time everytime you replay it. Recently I'm playing it a lot, and I advise you all to do the same).
    2) @Wa666r - God of custom races and altered melee maps. I and my friends adore you and your work. You managed to create extraordinary races with suitable synergies and various mechanisms. Thumbs up!
    3) @Rufus - Warden (Innovatively and very enjoyable game. Warden has a unique system which allows the player to control Shalis (the Warden) using the arrow keys. The environments and puzzles of each level in the Warden game are purely amazing. You feel like you are playing Prince of Persia in Warcraft 3. Believe it!
    4) @Zwiebelchen - Gaia's Retaliation (Did you ever want to play something like World of Warcraft in Warcraft 3? Well, now you have that possibility! This RPG is extremely cool and in my opinion it will never have competition. The regions in it are amazing, characters very suitable and gameplay experience assured to a high level!
    5) @Alxen345 - I know what you might say, "He's promoting an AoS like DotA. Waw" . Believe it or not, Dungeon of Warriors is nothing like DotA. Different heroes, different items, different synergies in teamplay, different terrain (much more better than the one from DotA). DotA 1 is a relic for Warcraft 3. The game needs a new AoS that will succeed it.
    6) @MoCo - Dwarven Monster Slayers (Are you a fan of action? DMS is the right choice for you. A unique RPG survival with a team of unique dwarves controlled by players. You'll have fun for sure! Also, this one is turning into a standalone game.
    There are also many other modders, but I listed my favorite ones.

11. Lisk

Lisk

Resources:
    Resources:
    Got goosebumps reading this post. Happy 15th birthday Warcraft "Not World of Warcraft" III!

12. Blood Raven

Blood Raven

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Warcraft 3 modding is what got me into modeling and texturing and game art as a whole. It is because of it I'm currently following my dreams of becoming a game art designer (In fact I just came back from an art exam for applying at an art university), so that community has changed my future and my interests as a whole. I still remember back in 2010 (when I was 13 or so) when I discovered hive and started doing those horrible recolored skins, marveling at the magnificence of actually changing an ingame asset (that was huge for me back then) without realizing how bad those skins sucked. Eventually I got to learn my way around photoshop and eventually Milkshape and discovered that I had more talent for 3D models than 2D textures. All the generous comments on my models drove me to make more of them like a chain reaction and before I knew it, I had a freaking long list of models. It was clear by then what I wanted to do in life, and here I am now, following those dreams, all thanks to the hive and Warcraft 3. Happy birthday, and thanks to this wonderful community!

13. Kasrkin

Kasrkin

Resources:
    Resources:
    I both love and hate this game but that's probably the same for a lot of people. I think my first custom game on WC3 was a lotr map that included the entirety of the Two Towers. As this was Reign of Chaos everything was just base units with only a couple changed usually just being tinted a certain color. I think I was playing as ents at the time.
    Now I'm involved in a giant campaign project that makes me want to give up with all the time it will take but I love it all the same. You're awesome Bossman.
    This game has truly been a great experience from the mauls to the rpgs, here's hoping to even more great memories involving this infuriating and awesome game.

14. 1)ark_NiTe

1)ark_NiTe

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    In 2002 I already had fallen in love with the RTS genre. By then I had logged countless hours of WC2: The Dark Saga and Command and Conquer: Red Alert. In my mind, no game could even come close to those two. Then one day I was introduced by my cousin to Warcraft 3. We sat in his parents study in front of the computer for quite a while, taking turns trying to figure out how to play.

We were horrible. I think I spent the first 20 minutes just clicking on our Tree of Life and Wisps with no idea how to make them do anything. Eventually we started to figure out how to move units and build structures. And from that point I was absolutely hooked.

Fast forward a few months and I finally got my own copy of the game. After another year or so I began modding. Well, you couldn't really call it that. I would open up popular Maps in the World Editor and play around as much as possible, trying to make changes I thought would improve those games. They didn't.

I joined wc3sear.ch in 2006 right before we became The Hive. I continued to play and learn and build as a part of this community. There was no better place out there to learn from. 11 years later I am still here with the same amount of love for this game and my own mod to show for it. The great thing is that I know my experience is not unique. All of us have similar stories and all of us have found unparalleled joy in this game and in this community. I hope that feeling never dies out. Here's to another 15 solid years of gaming and community!

15. IloveRoC

IloveRoC

Resources:
    Resources:
    Still playing it to this day..

My friends brother got it back in 2002, we were watching it and not too long after I went to the store with my parents and they bought it for me.

16. The Panda

The Panda

2D Art Reviewer

Resources:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I remember when my older brother introduced me too Warcraft 3 .. it was love at first site! Still playing 10 years later.. !!! For Pandaria!!!

17. Darklycan51

Darklycan51

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Now, 15 years more with a remaster!

18. Abovegame

Abovegame

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Lots of memories with this game :)

19. Shar Dundred

Shar Dundred

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    [​IMG]

20. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    First time I had seen Warcraft III, was in an internet cafe (around 2002 if I'm not mistaken). I think it was a demo or something. I had immediately fallen in love with the Night Elf race. Those trees and spirits just lit an esoteric sentiment within me. From then on, well, came a story already told by others.

If I were to describe the game, I'd say as one of my brothers spoke: "It's the best game ever made". At least it still is to this day. From an artist's point of view, it is an elixir of creation.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2017