• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Happy Birthday WCII : BDP !

Status
Not open for further replies.

pyf

pyf

Level 32
Happy Birthday, Beyond the Dark Portal

In a recent tweet earlier this month,
Blizzard reminds us Warcraft II: Beyond the Dark Portal
was first released 20 years ago

So, the beginning of May is not only related to Star Wars after all. :grin:

First published by Blizzard Entertainment on April 30, 1996 in the US, WCII: BDP is Cyberlore Studios' official expansion pack for Blizzard's WCII: Tides of Darkness (first released December 9, 1995 in the US).

A word about Warcraft II: The Dark Saga

In 1997, Blizzard and Electronic Arts released Warcraft II: The Dark Saga for the Sony PlayStation and Sega Saturn. This console game combined the campaigns of WCII: ToD and WCII: BDP.

This console game has many interesting differences compared to the PC version. Please see here for a complete list.

Among many notable things, the console version includes additional FMVs throughout WCII: BDP's campaigns.

These CGI movies were not included in the Warcraft II: Battle.net Edition, released in 1999.

Opening title

Orcs campaign

Humans campaign

Sources :

JudgeHype.com
Wikipedia.org (Tides of Darkness)
Wikipedia.org (Beyond the Dark Portal)

WoW Wiki (The Dark Saga)
Blue Blizz Box (outstanding historical video resources here)

Last edited:

pyf

pyf

Level 32
My bad. I was not able to find proper guidelines in the Submission Rules regarding News.

I had thought News Submission was the place for tips and links only (think Huggy Bear), which would later be reused by Hive Admins for proper, official, Hive News.

Also, first foray into News Submission posting and Web Journalism (tm). :grin:

I am in the process of rewriting, expanding, checking facts and updating it with extra info. Please stay tuned for a major OP overhaul.

** edit ** : titanic rewrite of OP done

Last edited:

pyf

pyf

Level 32
I totally agree :grin:

Joke aside, you are right.

Some official Rules for News Submissions, including text normalization, may help make the News section more coherent. Can I write in an article for the News section, that the traumatic view of Diablo riding a white Unicorn hurts Blizzard's brand, and also the mighty Lord of Terror's reputation itself as well ? :cry:

I tried hard to put the main news info in a rectangle, using
, but it breaks other text formatting and spreads havoc.

I have slightly altered the beginning of the text, to better fit the new, improved layout.

Videos here hidden, because lots of Youtube videos can be a pain for low-end computers, or if Youtube has problems of its own, or for computers with slow internet connection.

Level 28
Congratz :)
In 1997, Blizzard and Electronic Arts released Warcraft II: The Dark Saga for the Sony PlayStation and Sega Saturn. This console game combined the campaigns of WCII: ToD and WCII: BDP.

Electronic Arts participated on the releasation of WC II too I though it's only Blizzard game?

pyf

pyf

Level 32
Thanks. Credit also goes to Ralle for useful advice, and for pointing me directions.

Electronic Arts participated on the releasation of WC II too I though it's only Blizzard game?
The expansion pack was developed by Cyberlore Studios. I believe Blizzard published the expansion pack for PC/Mac only, after proper support/QA/approval of Cyberlore Studio's work.

It is my belief Electronic Arts was involved in the console version, mostly because they had more experience in that particular market than Blizzard.

Back in ye olde days, Blizzard had little involvement related to the console games market. Even StarCraft 64 was a port of SC+BW (with stuff added, changed and cut), developed by Mass Media Studios. And Michael Morhaime was not satisfied with the final product (though it was released anyway).

The Blizzard Universe was supposed to enter the console market full force with the exclusive StarCraft: Ghost. But... errr... well, too bad... :cry:

It is so crazy to see the jump from wc2 cinematics to wc3 cinematics. They both honestly seemed amazing for their time, at least as far as games go.

Now it would be interesting to know more about this.

The original Dos version of BDP did not include the additional FMVs. When I first played BDP on PC, I thought something was lacking somewhere, because I expected FMVs in-between, the same way ToD had them. Of course I already knew expansion packs have less content than their base game. But still, I felt dissatisfied back then.

Now, with all the love and respect I have for CGi work and 3D artists, I must say these intermediate FMVs seen in the console version are lacking in many ways. Their directing seems poor, model animation is kinda embarrassing, timing is bad and so on. I perfectly know MoCap was not prominent back then. But honestly, ToD had the FMVs carefully designed, so that these technical shortcomings and other stuff were not blatant.

Imho, ToD's FMVs succeeded in avoiding all the pitfalls of early CGI animation.
It is my belief Blizzard did not include BDP's console intermediate FMVs in WCII:BNE, because they knew they were lacking something somewhere.

...which leads us to soooo many interesting questions :
- did Blizzard create these FMVs along with ToD's ones ?
- if yes, in how much time ?
- if yes, why did they not include them in BDP's Dos version ?
- did EA have an influence in the creative process, regarding the console version (like, "we want more CGI because the PS1 and Saturn are multimedia-tailored and additional content is good for business, you have one hour to show us stuff") ?

For human 5, I wonder whether they modeled only the head and nothing else. :p
One can see a dragon in a distance at the end of ToD's Orc Campaign. But I highly suspect it is a different 3D model. Only Blizzard can tell the full story.

I still remember some wc2 music to this day and I didn't even play that mhch back then.

The original Dos game had both MIDI (or was it XMI ?) music, as well as CD Audio tracks. Back then I had taped the CD Audio soundtrack from BDP. When I passed the tape around to friends, they asked me in bewilderment how I managed to do it. :xxd:

I played that tape countless times. Such a great and evocative music...
Boy, those were the days.

** edit **
XMI !

Last edited:
Level 12
Funny that they tweeted that after all the dirty diarhea they took on the game and it's lore.

They're just vexing us at this point. They should just muster up the tiny scraps of honour they have left and leave us alone while releasing another WoW expansion pack which features an alternative universe where it's actually the humans that are corrupted and invade the peaceful orcs at draenor.

pyf

pyf

Level 32
Your video stuff is lagging when i enter the main page.Please fix that!

Sorry, I can not fix YouTube, nor internet connectivity as a whole.

If your computer is too slow, then you may want to dl the video files, to watch them in a standalone media player. Personally, I use this FireFox (and compatible browsers) extension for that. But KeepVid should work, too.

Also, switching to Flash / HTML5 might help (depends on your browser and hardware specs).

You may also want to enable "Click to play" in your browser.

Hope it helps

Funny that they tweeted that after all the dirty diarhea they took on the game and it's lore.
Anniversaries for the expansion pack's US release are on April 30. A 20th anniversary is worth mentioning imho. Blizzard tweeted about it only a few days later.

Now I highly suspect anniversaries have something to do with the Gregorian calendar. Might be worth investigating... :grin:

They're just vexing us at this point.
:eekani:
They should just muster up the tiny scraps of honour they have left and leave us alone
:eekani::eekani:
while releasing another WoW expansion pack which features an alternative universe where it's actually the humans that are corrupted and invade the peaceful orcs at draenor.
:eekani::eekani::eekani:

**edit **

Damn, I should know my classics better.
I am obviously getting old, with memory issues and other stuff... :wink:

In fine, your last proposition seems reasonable to me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.