• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Forgotten Sanctuary

Personal Introduction:

I have always been a huge fan of battlegrounds in World of Warcraft, especially the Alterac Valley from Vanilla / early Burning Cruisade. 10-15 years ago I made a couple of battleground maps with various strategic objectives, and today, after a good 5+ years without touching Warcraft III, I'm glad to share here a new map I have made in the last months. I know it's not perfect and I have still ways to improve it (if I can find more time), but I'm quite satisfied with the current flow and how this battleground map is working. Let me know if you enjoy it or not, or if you have any feedback to share, I will gladly read them. :)

Map Objectives:

• Three factions are fighting to retrieve a powerful artifact: the Grail.
  • Periodically, each faction will send a powerful "Archmage" hero to try to capture the Grail Sanctuary in the center of the map.
  • When only one "Archmage" hero remains (after the other two have been forced to retreat), the victorious team will start recovering the grail (each faction have their own progression advancement)
  • Various strategic objectives that can be captured by players will help toward this goal.
  • Alternatively, players can also try to force their way to the enemy faction's base and kill their generals to win.

Players Role:

• Players control one hero each (it is not possible to have twice the same hero in the same team).
  • Players can choose a group type of units to deploy periodically: balanced, magic, fast or siege.
  • Players can choose a target type for their deployed units: altars, towns, strongholds or grail.
  • Players can get gold by capturing strategic areas, having resources wagons reaching their faction base, giving the killing blow on an enemy hero and destroying enemy resources wagons (gold is given to all players of a same faction, regardless of who in the team performed the action)

Strategic Areas:

1 - Altars (3 in total):
  • Small areas providing a buff for the faction controlling them. The more altars a faction controls, the more powerful the buff.
2 - Towns (3 in total):
  • Periodically send resource wagons to the base and ally strongholds, that increase the strongholds' defense level or allowing the base to send more units when the team's "Archmage" hero makes an assault on the Grail.
  • Damaged wagons give a reduced amount of gold.
3 - Strongholds (5 in total):
  • Does not do much at first but will reinforce the defense of their surrondings when upgraded.
  • After reaching a certain level, they will start to peridically deploy reinforcements, putting pressure on the other factions.
4 - Grail Sanctuary (1 in total):
  • The place where all factions try to secure to recover the Grail.
  • Only strategic area that can become neutral again, after being captured once.

Notes:

• It's possible to play with and against bots. I highly recommend using "AI" instead of empty slots (difficulty doesn't matter).
  • A game can take 1h-1h30 on average to be completed.
  • The game may have some lags and/or crashes after playing for a while, I was not able to fix that. I think the issue is directly related to Warcraft 3 Reforged and not the map itself...
    • Since the game never crashes when I play in Solo, and in multiplayer activating VSync and lowering graphic settings allowed me to play with friends with mostly no crashes/lags at all.
  • No imported assets, everything directly come from the original game.

Screenshots:

274812-5f5037f3afb3c096bcd83dfb049866f5.png
274813-f3aede3e8c51ce5f67356005c8081487.png
274814-08b8bdcf069c2dc468d3413719d0c4db.png
274816-f73569e329349a1a3c561f258c019929.png
274817-8dd6aac8a2cee1cca055dbefc9fd58e8.png

Change Log:

[2024-01-22] Map released on Hive Workshop; Version 1.0.
Previews
Contents

Forgotten Sanctuary (Map)

Reviews
deepstrasz
The core concept is nice. However, some tweaking would be fine: Points are captured by killing the bigger neutral hostile unit, not all or most of the defenders. Terrain is quite flat and repetitive. Trees don't quite serve a path blockers but are...

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
The core concept is nice.
However, some tweaking would be fine:
  1. Points are captured by killing the bigger neutral hostile unit, not all or most of the defenders.
  2. Terrain is quite flat and repetitive. Trees don't quite serve a path blockers but are more for the visual aspect. Essentially, the map is pretty much a flat chess board with no real moving restrictions.
  3. Not sure what some neutral passive buildings do: Siege Workshop, Soul Pit, Turtle Totem.
  4. Could use more creature variety.
  5. Isles Tribes icon is green on the multiboard on Classic graphics.
  6. Not quite sure how the troop ordering functions. Some of the allied troops just remained near the Grail zone patrolling around.
Approved.

If you want more reviews, you should participate in the The Grand Review Exchange!

R U L E S

Site Rules
Map Submission Rules

M A P - D E S C R I P T I O N
BB CODES
BB Codes | HIVE

MELEE MAPS
Description Guide - Melee Maps
Describing Your Melee Map
Melee Map Description Generator v1.3

MAPS IN GENERAL
The importance of a Description
Description Guide - Maps
Map Thread Guide
Map Description Making: Good & Bad
Map Description - Templates
Map Description Generator [1.2]

How to Add a Screenshot to your Map Description

ADDITIONAL NECESSARY INFORMATION
  • A credits list in the map thread description is required where the names of the resource (models, skins, icons, spells, sound etc.) authors are mentioned along with the specific resource. It would be a luxury to have links leading to the used resources. Credits in the Quest Log would be appreciated too.
  • A detailed changelog in the first post would be helpful to reviewers and notify fans about the newest implementations to your map.
  • Map thread tags are important. Please use those that fit and not more or none.

M A P - C R E A T I O N - G U I D E S

If you're not satisfied with the review and wish another opinion, contact the other reviewers or use the staff contact:
https://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/staff-contact.692/