1. Find your way through the deepest dungeon in the 18th Mini Mapping Contest Poll.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. A brave new world lies beyond the seven seas. Join the 34th Modeling Contest today!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hive 3 Remoosed BETA - NOW LIVE. Go check it out at BETA Hive Workshop! Post your feedback in this new forum BETA Feedback.
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Reforged Dont make mods, boycott Reforged [EULA Update]

Discussion in 'Patch & Reforged Discussion' started by Nudl9, Jan 29, 2020.

1. Nudl9

Nudl9

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Hiveworkshop is a place for creating and sharing mods for WC3.
    Their new EULA affects everyone on Hive and you should not be make any mods for WC3.
    The conditions in the EULA are not acceptable for our community and i recommend everyone boycott the game for the sake of this community.
    I don't expect their rules to hold under court, but you should be careful anyway.
    Take your time to read it, it's not that long.
    The short version is in the picture.

Attached Files:

2. LeP

LeP

Resources:
    Resources:
    I agree with this and i already deleted wc3 from bnet app. i didnt even wanted it to be added to it. last patch just added it by itself. very disappointed.

3. The_Silent

The_Silent

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    The only real problem is the first point in the image. When that is said, that is an HUGE issue. Creators should hold some rights over their original content.

We all knew that copyright would become an issue. The copyright holders is going to sue blizzard if they allowed it in a modern game. Same goes for explicit content in a non-explicit rated game.

4. DracoL1ch

DracoL1ch

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    explain how it wasnt a real issue for all 18 years of wc3, for a whole era of epicwar dot com, for a bunch of sites with rip offs from various games. And now it suddenly an issue.

5. Stefan.K

Stefan.K

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    This has gone too far. We as a community didn't deserved to be treated like this. We kind of kept alive Wc3 all this years and this is what we get...
    What about that goblin model the Blizzard used as a hero in their FT expansion? As I recall someone from hive made that model, what about that? Is that property of Blizzard?

6. Nudl9

Nudl9

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Well i don't remember the old EULA being this pervasive, otherwise we would have known about it.
    I do remember seeing a blueprint for the current EULA 1-3 months back, but this one is even more rough.

-Blizzard "has the right" to force you to cease map development of a map
    -Can prevent developers from restricting features to say Patreon donators
    -Map protection not allowed

I urge you to read the EULA, there's way more to it than just the picture alone.

7. Shar Dundred

Shar Dundred

Map Moderator

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    It had been like that since the first of the newer patches...
    Before we even knew about Reforged.
    Just saying... I have dealt with that for weeks so I gotta know.

Edit: I can provide links to a discussion from my project about this matter if you do not believe me that it also affects CLASSIC Warcraft.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
  8. The_Silent

The_Silent

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    International copyright laws has changed, especially in the EU and US, and companies is a whole lot more concerned about it now than they were back then. The law has become a lot clearer when it comes to online content, and the focus on the internet and online gaming has risen a lot. With current copyright laws all responsibility falls back on Blizzard, not the content creator. It has become a whole lot worse with the last EU copyright law too.

9. SpiritTauren

SpiritTauren

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Man... I quit working on my project now .
    Even if I erase all IP notions from the files (which never bothered me anyway, since it's obviously NOT my IP, but now since it's strictly forbidden to use that IP, there's no other way), however if I'm about to create something new (converting to new from the existing data), that's too much to handle... I won't give Blizzard thousands of hours of my lifetime for free.
    2 years spent doing it, 2 f'in years. Some, I imagine, spent more!

"Thank you" message to all the people who never knew they contributed to a large project:
    Imported assets: -Grendel, -JonNny, .Kc, 3rgytr54, 4eNNightmare, 67chrome, A Void, AlienArsonist, AlienArSystem, Amigurumi, ana, Anachron, Arowanna, Avatars Lord, -Berz-, bisnar13, Blood Raven, bounty hunter2, Callahan, cash42, Cavman, Chaosium, chilla_killa, ChirusHighwind, CRAZYRUSSIAN, CybrgDragon, Daffa the Mage, Dark_Desent, darkdeathknight, Darkfang, DarkLord, Deathbringer, DEFACKTwalker, Dentothor, Deolrin, Deon, Dionesiist, Direfury, Discipline, enjoy, epsilon, Fingolfin, Firelord213, FrIkY, Gar'nogal, General Frank, Godslayer, Goldwolf, GooS, Graber, graystuff111, Grey Knight, halo, Ham Ham, HammerFist132, HappyTauren, Hayate, Hellish Hybrid, HerrDave, Horn, I3lackDeath, Ice, Illidan(Evil)X, InfernalTater, Infinitynexus, inhuman89, JB_McKnight, JesusHipster, Justify, Kazzo, KelThuzad, Ket, Kitabatake, Kofi_Banan, kola, Kwaliti, L_Lawliet, Lord_T, Mad, Marcos DAB, MassiveMaster, Mechanical Man, Mecheon, MEXANuK, Mr.Goblin, Muoteck, Murcologist, NFWar, Nichita_00, Nordmar, oh_snap, Oliver, PeeKay, Pins, PrinceYaser, purparisien, Quilnez, Raging Ent, rakemaster, republicola, RightField, Riley, Rolo, Scythy Dervish, Sin'dorei300, skrab, stan0033, Stanakin, Stefan.K, Sunchips, Supermj, Suselishe, Talon the Mage, tee.dubs, th15, The Leader, The Panda, The Weird Human, The_Silent, TheRandomDude, Tirlititi, UgoUgo, Uncle Fester, Warhunter, WerBackIII, yakonshus, ZethHolyblade, Zombie
    Interface: Solu9

10. WyrmSlayer

WyrmSlayer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    So what do we do now?
    Was working on an anime map..

Just learn c# and unity????

I mean, the whole point for me when creating custom maps was for everyone to have fun playing my map.

Already knew from the start that i cant monetize it anyway (contains anime models)

11. SpiritTauren

SpiritTauren

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    I wish I could hug you, bro, that situation hurts. I guess so...
    It's a global trend: large companies don't need modding communities any longer (check Bethesda, for example). Quality modding halts micro-transactions.

12. Drake53

Drake53

Resources:
    Resources:
    So if my map is made 100% using third party tools, then by this definition, it is not a custom game and Blizzard has no right to claim all rights to my map?
    Either way I support this boycott. They really messed up the game for classic players with this patch.

13. WyrmSlayer

WyrmSlayer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Welp...

14. aoszx2p2drd9

aoszx2p2drd9

Resources:
    Resources:
    You can still work on your project. The new EULA only applies to the new version. Just keep a backup of the old Warcraft 3 version.

15. SpiritTauren

SpiritTauren

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Thank you for making it clear. But I've decided not to... I won't spend time working on a mod for a Blizzard's game after these recent Reforged shenanigans (it was the last straw that broke the camel's back). At this point, I think a safer bet would be learning proper programming and teaming up with a couple of friends (they work on a Unity project).
    I've uploaded the unfinished version here. It could be useful to the beginners for some simple algorithm ideas.

16. IcemanBo

IcemanBo

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Template:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    You're afraid of giving spent lifetime to Blizzard for free, but on the other side you're encouraging others to use your work, or even to continue the project, which could result in pretty much the same. Just mentioning.

17. DracoL1ch

DracoL1ch

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    by refusing to headbutt against the wall you're engouraging others to do so
    thats not how dev works :D elseway there would be tons of dota clones years ago. yet nobody batched an eye that the primary aos of the decade has been left aside by it's developers

18. SpiritTauren

SpiritTauren

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    You're partially right. But I'm not actively encouraging people to pick up my work/project (while not objecting against it either. My stance is: it's here, if it stays as is, so be it.). I've posted the map so that those who want to develop mods for WC3 anyway would, maybe, find something useful. I don't like wasting efforts/information.

19. Ardenaso

Ardenaso

Resources:
    Resources:
    To think they did this to prevent another DotA issue... they're still salty after 10 years top kek

20. Chaosy

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    When is this ever relevant to the casual modder? (in regards to you not owning your mod)
    Do you want to sell your map/mods? because I do not want that.

Unless you are the 0.001% the owns a Dota level popular map it does not matter.

edit: Feels a bit similar to Steam, technically you do not own the games you purchase there.