• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Is there a point in making maps anymore?

Are you going to make maps for Reforged?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
Question: When I make a map with the last WC3: TFT version that wasn't integrated into that Blizzard launcher, and thus have never clicked "accept" on their new EULA, does it mean that my maps won't become "Blizzard's property"?

Level 12
As I said, whatever the EULA pretends, they can not take ownership of your ideas, but only of everything related to their content.

I don't think they'd stand a chance in any tribunal in most western and eastern countries, even with a very expensive barrister. Fact is they can always argue about their content, and they will win on that aspect regardless.

But any idea you have that can be separated from their content is yours as an intellectual property. That again, whatever the EULA pretends. If they argue that you accepted the EULA, they'd still lose as the EULA terms would be considered as abusive in regards to the ownership of ideas.

Anyways I suppose many gaming companies that gives players content creation tools will do the same thing, as once again it's all about money and we know what happened with DotA.

Wouldn't worry about this too much in all fairness.

If you make a map that has nothing revolutionary in it, and let's say they'd want to steal it from you, let them do, it will just prove you're better than them, and it would be easy for you to get recognition from the community.

If you create a map that draws a lot of attention and you suddenly realize you could monetize it, then it will be worth a trial in a tribunal, and they would fail to gain ownership of any idea in the project that is not related to their content. On the same side of things, of course you would lose ownership of all ideas directly related to their content.

I don't understand why people panic all of a sudden, companies have started having these kind of bad practices with their customers for quite some years now, I have always been outraged about it, but most of the time people don't care.

I start to think that if Reforged wasn't such a mess on some aspects, nobody would have cared about these EULA changes. I suppose everyone is mad at Blizzard, more or less, and this EULA scrutiny is a direct result from the huge frustration of the fanbase.

I start to think that if Reforged wasn't such a mess on some aspects, nobody would have cared about these EULA changes. I suppose everyone is mad at Blizzard, more or less, and this EULA scrutiny is a direct result from the huge frustration of the fanbase.
This. Apparently these changes have been there for like a year already anyway.

Level 11
This. Apparently these changes have been there for like a year already anyway.
Several years by now in fact.

And it's bad that the community kept silent about it for so long. The community should be vocal about stuff like that, to bring such things to attention of the public. Sure, it may not change anything. But being silent will definitely not change anything. This outrage after Reforged release is what should have happened a long time ago.

Level 16
Unless you are making Melee maps, or something which is exclusively WoW-focused, there is absolutely no point.

Anything you create will become the sole property of Blizzard, in perpetuity - this means if you attempt to create your mod/map as a standalone game, Blizzard can sue you for making something you already made because you signed it off to them in this predatory EULA.

Before some wazzock comes along and says "It always said that, hur-hur."
No.
Blizzard owned that version of your map, and could not follow you outside of the game.
Now they can.
Hell, they can terminate your B.net account if they don't like your maps now that WC3 is linked.
So now, even your WoW, Starcraft II, Hearthstone, Overwatch, etc are at risk when you upload something.

Of course there was! creating a map for people to play and enjoy while leaving a legacy. Unlike now, with the new eula no one will ever know that you created that map because Blizzard won't even give you credit. And like Numox said, if god forbid you won't be able to protect your map, people can edit it and steal your content. Spending 2000hours creating a map isn't an easy task so it's fair that the map creator wants his name to last through the years.
Imagine if all the maps published on the hive didn't show their creator and the site visitors wouldn't know who's map they downloaded and enjoyed playing. I just hope Blizzard keeps on working on Reforged and updates their eula to meet the standards of the community. Otherwise no one will have the drive and the passion to create great maps.

then how come Blizzard lost To Valve on Dota2?

also, if I still have 1.26, meaning I havent signed the new EULA; does that mean blizzard cannot steal my map?
@deepstrasz

Edit: what I hate most about reforged and other updates is that it divided the community.
some using 1.32, some using 1.31 and some using 1.26

and not all maps can be open by all WE's
also this makes no sense. the creator of C++ should only own the programming language itself, not every single program written by it from there on, in a world that made a little sense that is.

Unfortunately, all I see growing around me, year after year, is lame corporate greed.
Back in the good old days, people were creating companies for 2 reasons : first earn a living, and then participate to the community by creating activity and employment.

I am afraid we have reached a point of no return with how far we pushed capitalism, because nowadays all companies that i witness the creation of have only been made for money.

Money is not the devil though, except when it becomes a religion and prevails on everything else humanity has to offer.

Mmm sorry I am not sure all this is proper english, I hope it is because It is not my mother tongue.

But anyways, you are right, there are still companies out there with ethics, but I fear this is slowly becoming an exception. With all my heart I would be happy if I was wrong.
Companies can and did survive quite well without scamming their customers, without lying. There are still companies today making actually good games. There are also plenty of indie devs out there. You make it sound as if players have no choice. But we do. The mere fact, that we can just download older Warcraft 3 patches, play them and host our own online games, proves it. And thus, I don't care about any of the AAA companies. EA, Bethesda, Blizzard. They can all fall to oblivion with their terribly bugged releases, microtransactions, and other nonsense.

Maybe that would be for the best, as well. "You either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become a villain". A fitting phrase. Maybe it's time for smaller indie companies to take over. People that actually have passion for making games.

you sure? greedy companies survive more AFAIK. Look what happened to 3DO.
I think you might need at least a minimum level of greed to survive market. and you will still most likely be eaten in the market

Level 11
I think you might need at least a minimum level of greed to survive market. and you will still most likely be eaten in the market
A company can survive perfectly fine without that greed, as long as it is satisfied with what it accomplished. Sure, it will be outshone by bigger companies, that are striving to CONSTANTLY GROW, but, as long as this smaller company brings out good quality, it will always have a dedicated and loyal group of customers.

In other words, greed is not for surviving. Greed is to continue endless expansion. Endless quest to acquire more. Which inevitably leads to cutting ALL the corners to gain more revenue.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
Level 16

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
three people?
*free people :D?
fremen.jpg
or tree people?
iu
They'll have less profit if they run an aggressive ass covering policy especially when the Reforged sales and reviews were so good.

Status
Not open for further replies.