• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Dark Invasion II v2.14

An Epic ORPG featuring a custom combat system among many, many other things.
www.DarkInvasion.co.nr

This version allows access to most areas of the final map. More areas will be unlocked and more content will be added in future updates.

Keywords:
Dark Invasion II, Dark Invasion, Dark Invasion 2, Arkan, Pidda
Contents

Dark Invasion II v2.14 (Map)

Reviews
07:01, 3rd Oct 2008 VGsatomi: Wow, I've never seen so many diverse multiboard options before. Very inclusive RPG that has just as many features as most console RPGs. Quite simply some amazing work. Camera movement can be a hassle, as seen in every...
Level 5
This is really amazing map, really nicely and well done;
i'd think as well some more info would be nice, like how to use the baits i dunno about that and was thinking how to change back to attack when you use -digging (w/e was the command) or -fish; i used the Switch Attack button to make it steal and then it converted it back to attack

but really amazing and well done map 5/5 never seen anything like this before.

EDIT: i missed the book for new players, i see there's some nice information =p

Level 4
Very nice map. This is one the few maps that I look forward to playing when I get home. Camera is very smooth, many different multiboards, all put together in a flawless system from the player's perspective. This map definitely earns a 5/5 from me.

Level 4
This game seems very boring at the start. In online, players tend to leave the games right away becuz they think is boring, not realizing its actually very fun. You should make the start bit more interesting and easy. Everytime i play this the noobs die like 100 times and get pissed off at loss of gold and quit leaving like 2 or 3 players out of the original 8 or 10

Level 5
I tried it once and was thinking: THIS SUX.
Tried it again and i thought: Awesome!
The reason? Well... Its pretty advanced (sorry for the language) shit you got there. (positive if u want'd to know xD)
Its pretty hard to discover how to use it. And the little woman helping, make a flooding text over her, i didnt notice her until two hours after the game, since I thought it was just a quest some1 took. But really, you should make a tutorial for the newbies.
5/5, its just awesome.

Level 5
can i still load from 2.11 on to this version?

At start it says (Code: *Version number here*) which means (if I understood it right) that u can load from that version and above.

Edit: I found some MINOR bugs. Typos: I dont know if this is supposed to be but um, for example the Mythril Bow. Its Mithril... But I can see your word play there.. But Im not sure if it was a bug. And on Yahal, theres a dragon called 'Emeral Dragon' You need to write it like this: Emerald Dragon.
And, if you click on Catherine (near the Zeppeline to Yahal Encampment) you can see her Attack 1 - 0.

Suggestions: make the food you cook eatable (gives hp or MP) hehe.. You actually could.. MAI BAD! xD

Last edited:
Level 27
Needs more explanation, everything is offcourse made rly awesome etc. but i still don't know how to buy items...

And i also discovered a bug thingy i think, i pressed c and suddenly the warcraft target vizor popped up and i attacked an enemy very rapidly while the animate dead effect showed on my charachter.... wtf?

Level 5
yeah

i noticed also that there is a "hero" icon on the left side of the screen which u use to buy items.

Yea and it should be Mithril (i've seen it in many games written as Mithril) and also was thinking "Magick" word =o shouldn't it be "Magic" instead ^^, well they dont bother me so much and i think them as if the world's magic is called as Magick; something like that xd

Level 1
Hi Arkan!
I just love your Unique Combat System!
I got a level 26 Templar but unforunately my save code has been destroyed as
my computer need to be reformated =(
Anyway, Keep up the good work Arkan! And also to Pidda~! =)

Level 1
Great Map, Awesome, but one thing i don't really understand. Im a 24 templar and my hits are above 1k... I used to use a staff and hit <200, then i found a Mythril Spear, dropped by the dryads (don't remember name) now I use this spear and my normal attacks damage more than 1000. Is this a bug? or is the weapon made to damage this much?

Btw as many ppl say; ''The Camera is bad'', that ain't true. There's nothing bad with camera. You can change it to bird view and there isn't a problem..

Last edited:
Level 18
the damage u do depends on your characer class and the amount of stats you have.

for instance, if you are a rogue, you will have more evasion . The daggers damage is based on that evasion number ( along with a few other stats ). Daggers in the hands of a wizard will make the daggers effectivness really low, since wizards have low evasion.

the spear is one of the strongest weopons in the hands of a warrior type hero. Since its stats are based on strength and stamina. In a wizards hands, who have no strength or stamina watsoever, it will do little damage. In the hands of a strong templar with a gud nmber of strength, the polearm spear would be the best choice.

Level 1
Ok, I think I understand, so then if I get he halbard, or whatever it was that drops from the Morgrhen (may be spelled wrong) beasts would increase my attack even more?

Btw what is this russia thing? I see it everywhere on hive.. If you can answer this please send private message, don't wanna fill comments on this nice map with crap.

Level 3
Great map, and very efficient programming as well, seems like there's no obvious errors or bugs and the whole map runs very smoothly once you get accustomed to the many custom features of the map.

Generally, the classes are interesting enough and the traits is a very nice touch and a interesting way to customize your character. There are a few things I'd like to comment though.

Major Suggestions

* In the early game, unless you have a class with access to healing spells, you spend a very large part of your time either waiting for your health or your mana to replenish. I'd suggest having a Rest function in the game that allows you to recover health and mana if not disturbed, so your early game doesn't consists of you running back and forth between the crystal after killing 3-4 mobs. Currently, you have a very large advantage starting out with a healing class since you basically avoid the process of running back and forth after killing a few mobs.

* The Tech category of abilities seems to be very focused towards the warrior type of hero, which is fair enough, but it seems a bit peculiar to get the abilities as a Rogue. The abilities have names and effects that seem appropriate to the Amazon / Knight heroes, but seem odd for the Rogue. Only way I can think of that would fix it would be to implement another category of abilities solely for the agile heroes (Rogue in particular), something that would probably be a very arduous task.

* While the chain hits are a nice and interesting mechanic in the game, they have a tendency to really skew solo-play. Often you can get one-shotted while fighting mobs of the same level as you if you're unlucky with a chain hit, which seems a bit frustrating considering the price of dying. You could potentially limit the amount of chain hits you can achieve to one extra attack.

* Dying is very expensive, which is okay, but it is a bit problematic that the way in which you pay for dying is solely from your gold. You can "dodge" the death penalty by not selling the vendor items you pick up, keeping them around until you actually have enough gold / level to buy the item you want. This makes the death penalty a bit wonky, since it can be easily avoided if you want. Secondly, it also punishes the players (like me) who like to keep a clean inventory containing only items I actually intend to use, instead of just carrying around as much junk as possible so you don't loose as much gold if you die. I have no clear suggestion as to a fix for this problem, it is a recurring problem in many RPG maps to have a cost associated with dying. You could always remove the cost, or make it far less.

* A few of the bosses can be killed with somewhat silly tactics. Especially the Poison spell allows for quite a bit of abuse, since you can cast it and still run away from the boss afterwards until he stops following you, and then return to apply it again, and just continue doing this until the boss dies (worked for me on several bosses, even many that were far above me in level). Since I'm not fully familiar with JASS scripting, I have no idea how hard it would be to implement a mechanic similar to WOW, where bosses and mobs regain all their health as soon as they get out of combat.

* I might consider having a bit more benefit from the Professions, they're a really fun, although time consuming addition to the map, but you can very easily survive without them as you often get a greater benefit from just spending your time fighting mobs than grinding your Professions.

Minor Suggestions

* The sound for the Cleric's Excommunication ability is the exact same sound as level-up, which can be a bit confusing (I constantly thought I had gained a level when I used the ability when first trying out the Cleric).

* I wouldn't mind a much clearer explanation of the different stats that can be accessed in game.

* Enable Crystal Balls and Warp Stones to be placed in your belt, many classes don't use all their belt space and these items would really be nice to have out of your inventory.

* It seems like the Naga casters drop normal Water, instead of Water+, which is a bit peculiar since there's mobs of lower levels that drop the better water. A suggestion would be to either remove normal Water from their drop-table, or make it Water+.

* There's a large part of the mountains north of Alazimir where your vision very often becomes obscured by the mountains and you can't target mobs with spells (caused me to die a few times).

Despite the minor bugs and issues I noted above, this map is excellent, easily one of the most well-polished RPG maps I've seen (and I've seen a lot). Only reason I had such a long list was because I played it so darn much, its a very addictive and fun map, especially if you got a small group of friends to play with regularly.

Level 19
I agree with the Rest thing, maybe a system similar to WoW with food and drink.

Rouges having Tech abilities strengthens their role as a damage dealing class, I think this is appropriate.

I never really felt that chain hits skew combat, they happen pretty rarely.

Or maybe death could be treated in similar manners as NWN etc, with an XP penalty (A percentage of current XP is taken away)

Bosses do regenerate when they do not get attacked for too long, usually the poison thing would never happen. Making the period shorter would lead to things such as the boss suddenly regenerating during a battle (Yes, this has happened to me before, and is fucking annoying).

Your last remark reminded me of something, I would like it if the classes had more defined roles, because it is easy for, say, a warlock, to become a healer, and this doesnt really seem right to me... (Too many commas!)

Level 38
Effing awsome map, definatly one of the best I have ever played.

As far as the sugestions listed above, for the death penalty it would be nice if players could acsess a bank in the major cities were they could deposite thier gold (similar to diablo) or players could simply purchase items that had the same resale value, such as "gold chest" "platnium coin" "precious stones" or whatever.

As for hp regeneration out of combat you might be able to get this to work, I've tried messing around with the Regeneration aura spell from the fountain of life so that it is a damaging ability that effects all targets within a "combat" range, and set all of the unit's hp regeneration to the same percentage as the aura takes away, did the same thing for mana except that I set the mana regeneration of units to double the percentage, so they would still regenerate mana while in combat but faster outside of combat. It actually worked for me so it is something you might consider trying. You could set hostile hp regenration to some rather fast amounts to discourage hit and run tactics as well.

Anyways, 5/5 totally awsome map.

Level 13
Uhm, are you still working on this, and if you do. When can we then excpect next version?
Btw its AWESOME 5/5. My favorite RPG. Even better then SotDRP if you ask me :D Ohh, and if you made it so ALL items your hero had would be saved, would the inventory code then be too long?

Level 13
Oooh thats good. But ive looked a bit around, and saw you're far from finished with the map (some islands cant be accessed yet, Am i right???), and if im right, when you improve the map, will i then have to start all over cus my save/load code wont work?

Level 9
Oooh thats good. But ive looked a bit around, and saw you're far from finished with the map (some islands cant be accessed yet, Am i right???), and if im right, when you improve the map, will i then have to start all over cus my save/load code wont work?

I don't think so, that's the good thing about save/load codes, they can be easily transfered between difrent game versions ..

Level 19
It wasnt the patch, the old code system was faulty or something...
Oh, and in case you're wondering, I did NOT make this, I just post too much here... D:
PM Arkan or go on the official forum if you want that question to be answered :p

Level 3
Right now the progress is really slow. Arkan's very busy and hasn't done much scripting or coding. Too much irl-life and work.
I've almost completed all of the terrain but we still need to implement all the remaining quests, npc and items.

So at the moment we can't say when it's going to be complete or if all the islands will be available in the upcoming version. But hopefully during the summer you'll see a new release.