• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Concept Art Contest #8 - Giants

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reference isn't allowed? Oh dear,I used one...
5b1d071c622d3bb26b6c26a80d80534e.jpg

250158-albums8697-picture107918.png

Level 28
Referencing is allowed of course. In fact, referencing is highly recommended in any art form.

Copying isn't though xYours. Fan art should also be out of the question.

All that said though I believe you can draw anything you want, you'll just get less points. Like 0 for concept, 0 for theme (I don't know why we have these two, they are practically the same but.. oh well). You can still get points for execution and realism although I'm not sure if you'll get less points for execution as it isn't really yours (the pose and lighting and all that are also copied, not just the design of the creature).

Well that's my take on the things of course, I just wanted to defend referencing. Referencing is awesome. Do it. Have like 20 pieces on your canvas (or monitor, if traditional) and constantly reference them - do not copy them or take the design 1:1 though.

I like your piece though. You managed to capture the flow pretty well.

Reactions: San
Level 16
Well of course I'm not gonna 1:1 a reference. I'm talking about something like having a fish head reference and then building from that like, for example, give it sharp, pointy teeth, then protrude the lower jaw forward a bit, add an extra pair of eyes, maybe a catfish whiskers on there, then finish by slapping it on on a body you want.

@xYours Trulyx
I answered today, you rushed out. I think you have enough time to create your concept.
Also, the contest's naming speaks for itself: CONCEPT.
I presumed that everyone knows what "concept art" means.
Until now, we didn't have any problem with this(but anyone interested could google it for a more elaborate explanation).
@GunSlinger
Yes, this is referencing, and it's okay if you're not copying it.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
To be fair, I've always heard the phrase "concept art" being used to just describe quick, sketchy drawings (usually pencil) of whatever; it doesn't necessarily mean "new" or "original" or whatever (and we can also debate what "original" even means, though I'll avoid that here).

Like "Hey, I got this schweet concept art made of this character; can you make me a model?" "Concept" is a word for an 'idea', basically, so "Idea art"? Kinda vague.

Level 49
To be fair, I've always heard the phrase "concept art" being used to just describe quick, sketchy drawings (usually pencil) of whatever; it doesn't necessarily mean "new" or "original" or whatever (and we can also debate what "original" even means, though I'll avoid that here).

Like "Hey, I got this schweet concept art made of this character; can you make me a model?" "Concept" is a word for an 'idea', basically, so "Idea art"? Kinda vague.

its how the word concept art is used in this contest. it has to be ORIGINAL since this is a CONCEPT ART CONTEST. like, why is this suddenly a thing? we already had 7 contests in the past and never had any issue whether the entry needs to be original or if its passable to copy your entry somewhere.

Level 28
So, I began my first giants. Still on the mood phase. I wonder if I should go for a more generic design or twist the word...
I really wanna draw a regular giant though. Perhaps I could play a bit with the original design and create something innovative yet at the same time close to the mythological giants.

Attachments

• Giantses.png
    Giantses.png
    308.2 KB · Views: 178
Level 34
You have to generate a visual design for a character that doesn't really exist.
You're the creator, not anyone else.
A simple drawing after a reference isn't considered concept art.

D: so if i want to draw a warcraft character battling a huge giant it would be against the rules? (because i was drawing a battle scene u_u)

Last edited:
Level 34
Silly me :p, I was fooled by the description of the contest, they should change it:
"Contestants are to create a piece of artwork depicting a gigantic being or creature. It can be inspired from ancient mythology as long as it brings something interesting to look at and it's obviously immense in size."

Level 15
lol what? another contest already?
i wont participate.. something big and bad and unpredicted happened on my life this year.. ,
To Roland: sorry i didnt finish mine on last contest

Level 9
Just join us, aeman! Everytime you draw something you're further developing your skills (well at least most of the time) so it will always be worth the try.

@coldblows: hey, nicely done cartoony style, I would't have thought that you were going that direction!

Thanks Naze, but shading is very hard on the adobe illustrator for ipad cause of vector. The app doesn't have a soft brush for realistic shading. I would use adobe photoshop for ipad but the app has only one layer, i need to purchase if i want more layers. And there on the table pen and paper would handle but i wanted to use that way. And maybe after the scene is done i can try to ignore cartoony style using desktop Ps.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.