• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Concept Art Contest #12 - Genie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haven't worked on my piece, Archian.

Regarding the rule, since this is the Hive and it's based around Warcraft 3, maybe allowing concept art based on universes would be better than not.
Reasons to change the ruling:
1) Consider that most professional concept artists nowadays work on concept art for already established universes since few new settings are created.
No, concept-art competition are to showcase and practice your creativity, to come up with your own and unique idea. The reason why I implanted this new rule is to force people to think outside the box and come up with original ideas. The main reason this new rule is in place is because all previous concept-art competitions would have 90% of the sudmission be a warcraft3 mash up of a character.

Being a professionnal concept-artist, is all about thinking outside the box, finding various inspirations from different places and then merging all them together into a unique idea. There's a reason why Game of thrones doesn't look Lord of the Rings, it's because the artist deliberately picked different inspiration sources.

2) Working with certain limitations (a setting) can force more creativity.
Yes. But not in this context no. Forcing people to not do a concept-art based on an already established brand and universe is the thing that forces creativity this time around.

3) If more people are willing to join because we now allow universe-based concept art that would mean more entries > bigger contest > more fun.
Since concept-art competions have been hosted. there was no drastic change from amount of participation before and after the new rule was implented 2-3 competitions ago.

4) If you are worried that an in-universe concept is less concept art, it's not. In fact, capturing the style of a certain universe can be quite hard and just because you are creating something in a universe does not mean you are making fan art (and if you are, then yes, you lose points for creativity). I haven't seen a genie in Warcraft and if none exist it would be 100% concept art if one was to design one..
No because, not all artists has the same artistic skills and levels. I can't force people to try and match a style, because the better artists would win every time. Not the artist with the best idea, (aka this is a concept-art competition, where the design is king)

5) The slight advantages of being able to use a universe are: 1. A good reference library 2. A good design style already chosen for you. Is that really a lot though? It's kind of draining in fact, especially if it's not your style. And if it is, well you can still make an off-universe concept art that fully resembles the Warcraft / WoW concept art style, so it's really of no importance..
No, being a concept-artist is everything but what you just mentionned. As a teacher and a concept-artist professionnally. Every production starts with doing research finding images and creating mood boards and inspiration boards. For the exact purpose of finding inspiration from different sources to allow us to then combine different ideas and to create something more unique then previously made. It's called building a brand.

The issue with allowing warcraft3 related content is exactly that. Creativity is lost, no research needs to be done, there's no challenge in creating something that already exists is many many many different forms. Let's give it a try.

If I say = orc shaman = you know already there's bones, and fur and tribal paint.
If I say = night elfe ranger = you already know there's leaves, and features, and cool spiral metal patterns.
If I say = Tauren Warlock = well, you know taurens use features and fur and leather to dress, and you know warlock are all about pointy metals with skulls. so you simply mash up the two.

... no ... research... is ...needed, and that is why I'm not allowing people to create a concept-art in a pre-established universe.

Reasons not to change the ruling:
1) (Guessing here) If there is a prize, these entries will have to be disqualified due to legal stuff.
Fair assumptions, but the real reasons have all been mentionned above.

Level 50
Wips face+composition

Attachments

• wip.................png
    wip.................png
    11 KB · Views: 272
  • Wip...........png
    Wip...........png
    51 KB · Views: 181
Level 34
Wips face+composition
Love that face! *-*

Edit: My first wip too:

2019_07_16_172233.jpg

Edit N°2: My second wip, not so much progress : /

2019_07_17_103358.jpg

Edit: Third wip, not even sure if i'm gonna finish it :s

2019_07_17_141002.jpg

My Final Entry:

The Genie of the Three Wishes:

FINAL V2.jpg

Finally! after years of search and research, he claimed the last lamp, the humblest and oldest of all, countles lamps made of gold and silver, of all type of size and ornate, laid on the floor, none of them could deceive him this time.
He put the lamp carefully on the floor, lit it, and waited.
All the candles on the old chamber faded away one by one, till only the dim light of the old lamp remained.
He kept waiting....
The little light was almost consumed, and then...the lid moved, and he could see how some bony fingers peeked from inside, a whole hand, and then slowly, the grim figure emerged from it, holding a cage with three little butterflies on it.
He tried not to shake, but it was helpless, he was terrified of the creature in front of him.
There was only silent for a moment, and then, the genie open his mouth:
"What is your first wish?"
This is it, he though, finally!, as soon as he open his mouth to ask for his wish, he noticed that one of the butterflies has vanished...
And then...

Last edited:
Level 28
On the previous points:

1) I never said what concept art is about. Either way your statement is true, but so is mine. I was merely stating that most concept artists do work on creating art for already established universes since new amazing universes are rare. What I meant was that working on an already established universe is not all that bad - most artists do it and they still find ways to be extremely creative.

2) Fair enough.

3) Clearly there are people who we are losing now because the rules don't allow them to create in-universe art. Is it drastic? Well, if you lose 1 person and you have 4 in total... maybe? W/e, does it matter if it's drastic or not? Even if it's 1 person... why? Which brings me to a quick point: This isn't a professional concept art site. It's the Hive. People join contests for fun. So there's no need to have dictatorial rules of what can and cannot be done (in my opinion).

4) Well, the "artist with the best idea" would only be able to present us with an idea of what the idea could be if he/she does not have the proper artistic skills. Lets say a beginner copies the creature design of a master. Simply by fucking up the colors, shape, pose, anatomy he would be ruining the mood, feel, character and industrial design of that creature. What I meant by capturing the style was precisely what you describe in point 5. Knowing what makes a warlock a warlock in warcraft and nailing that with your design whilst also being quite different is extremely hard and good concepting practice.

5) I can agree that in most cases it's better to be fully creative and free, unlimited by setting or style, but if you overshoot as a beginner (which most people here are) you will probably perform worse overall than you would have if you had limited yourself within a known reference library and setting. And also, consider that you are not forced to limit yourself. And also, consider that an 80% concept art (meaning one with an already determined setting) is still 80% concept art. Hell, if someone made an illustration piece for a concept art contest, I'd accept it. It still has innovative colors, pose, mood, feel. Might be lacking in the industrial design but so what? Concept art is not solely industrial design, it's everything that you need to represent, it's the whole idea, whatever the idea is.
And also consider that most concept artists working outside of settings still limit themselves within a certain predetermined existing style. People don't invent new styles every day for every piece and if they do the differences from one style to another are very slight (lets say old anime vs new anime animation style for example. Or Feng Zhu vs Tyler Edlin or something if we wanna talk concept artists).
One can effectively create the same knight and say it applies to both Game of Thrones or his/her own setting. If it uses a gritty mood and slightly dead colors, realistic shapes and it's functional.
http://conceptartworld.com/wp-conte...tion_01_Chad_Weatherford_Wildling_Victory.jpg
This is a random game of thrones concept art. It can also be a Gwent card, a concept art for a video game, w/e. You can also claim it is your own concept art, unlimited by a setting.
Ah, you might say, it's very uncreative. Not really. A matter of taste. If you want a realistic concept art and some sort of nordic barbarians they would just be wearing basic fur. It's the most realistic and the most true. Concept art doesn't have to be a design show off and always stuff like https://i.pinimg.com/originals/60/bf/18/60bf1874219ba7ad402c545aefbdd05a.jpg Sometimes it can be simple and realistic or simply relying on style like Samurai Jack does https://i.redd.it/tb3q87i2nqfy.jpg (yes I realize this is the full illustration but it's also basically the concept art since it's so simple and quick to sketch. I couldn't find the art boards), other times concept art relies on mood and character. Like, you want to show the colors and "animations" (with a pose) of this one character. He might be generic af in his industrial design, just an average barbarian, but his pose, face expression and colors make him into the idea you wanted to show, the concept. And hey, mostly, when talking about cloth design and such we see front and back lineart sketches of characters. Yea. That's also concept art. But so are the things above. And settings rarely limit you in all of these aspects tremendously. There's soooo much leeway in a setting that you can still be incredibly creative to your fullest potential. Because lets be real, a concept art unlimited by anything is still limited subconsciously. Rarely does an art have it's own groundbreaking style, mood, industrial design, colors and shapes and EVERYTHING into ONE piece.

On the previous points:

1) I never said what concept art is about. Either way your statement is true, but so is mine. I was merely stating that most concept artists do work on creating art for already established universes since new amazing universes are rare. What I meant was that working on an already established universe is not all that bad - most artists do it and they still find ways to be extremely creative.

2) Fair enough.

3) Clearly there are people who we are losing now because the rules don't allow them to create in-universe art. Is it drastic? Well, if you lose 1 person and you have 4 in total... maybe? W/e, does it matter if it's drastic or not? Even if it's 1 person... why? Which brings me to a quick point: This isn't a professional concept art site. It's the Hive. People join contests for fun. So there's no need to have dictatorial rules of what can and cannot be done (in my opinion).

4) Well, the "artist with the best idea" would only be able to present us with an idea of what the idea could be if he/she does not have the proper artistic skills. Lets say a beginner copies the creature design of a master. Simply by fucking up the colors, shape, pose, anatomy he would be ruining the mood, feel, character and industrial design of that creature. What I meant by capturing the style was precisely what you describe in point 5. Knowing what makes a warlock a warlock in warcraft and nailing that with your design whilst also being quite different is extremely hard and good concepting practice.

5) I can agree that in most cases it's better to be fully creative and free, unlimited by setting or style, but if you overshoot as a beginner (which most people here are) you will probably perform worse overall than you would have if you had limited yourself within a known reference library and setting. And also, consider that you are not forced to limit yourself. And also, consider that an 80% concept art (meaning one with an already determined setting) is still 80% concept art. Hell, if someone made an illustration piece for a concept art contest, I'd accept it. It still has innovative colors, pose, mood, feel. Might be lacking in the industrial design but so what? Concept art is not solely industrial design, it's everything that you need to represent, it's the whole idea, whatever the idea is.
And also consider that most concept artists working outside of settings still limit themselves within a certain predetermined existing style. People don't invent new styles every day for every piece and if they do the differences from one style to another are very slight (lets say old anime vs new anime animation style for example. Or Feng Zhu vs Tyler Edlin or something if we wanna talk concept artists).
One can effectively create the same knight and say it applies to both Game of Thrones or his/her own setting. If it uses a gritty mood and slightly dead colors, realistic shapes and it's functional.
http://conceptartworld.com/wp-conte...tion_01_Chad_Weatherford_Wildling_Victory.jpg
This is a random game of thrones concept art. It can also be a Gwent card, a concept art for a video game, w/e. You can also claim it is your own concept art, unlimited by a setting.
Ah, you might say, it's very uncreative. Not really. A matter of taste. If you want a realistic concept art and some sort of nordic barbarians they would just be wearing basic fur. It's the most realistic and the most true. Concept art doesn't have to be a design show off and always stuff like https://i.pinimg.com/originals/60/bf/18/60bf1874219ba7ad402c545aefbdd05a.jpg Sometimes it can be simple and realistic or simply relying on style like Samurai Jack does https://i.redd.it/tb3q87i2nqfy.jpg (yes I realize this is the full illustration but it's also basically the concept art since it's so simple and quick to sketch. I couldn't find the art boards), other times concept art relies on mood and character. Like, you want to show the colors and "animations" (with a pose) of this one character. He might be generic af in his industrial design, just an average barbarian, but his pose, face expression and colors make him into the idea you wanted to show, the concept. And hey, mostly, when talking about cloth design and such we see front and back lineart sketches of characters. Yea. That's also concept art. But so are the things above. And settings rarely limit you in all of these aspects tremendously. There's soooo much leeway in a setting that you can still be incredibly creative to your fullest potential. Because lets be real, a concept art unlimited by anything is still limited subconsciously. Rarely does an art have it's own groundbreaking style, mood, industrial design, colors and shapes and EVERYTHING into ONE piece.

hey @morbent , glad you came around and submitted some works. Thing is, we value creativity and the contest requirements WILL NOT BE CHANGED.

So, please do enjoy the theme and work on your upcoming entry. Thank you ^_^

Edit: post corrected with 'came'.

Last edited:
Hi guys:

I'd like to participate, but I'd like to know if it's allowed to me to invite some kids from my project, which are learning to draw, and some of them have potential.

Thanks.

@Mr.Goblin

EDIT: first WIP
sorry buddy, they can't join unless they are Hive members. But feel free to use this theme and create your own contest amongs you and your kids :)

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

I'll post my entry during the weekend - sorry for the massive delay - had 2 instances of kidney stones which kinda rendered me a tired cactus.

RedLord

R

RedLord

I created a sketch called "Demon Genie" but the problem is my Camera isn't that good.

so Sad for me. ://

Attachments

• Demon Genie.jpg
    Demon Genie.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 115

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

I couldn't finish my art, sorry guys - my kidneys are basically being useless and am in bed most of the time :/

Level 49
The legends about Genie are says that these ancient evil creatures are guile and dangerous. They take your wishes and realease them in unexpected way that hurt you. My concept is showing this side of genie nature - she masks lust with purity, hate with smile and scorn with pity.

This is final, unless there will be extension.

Chaos Harbinger Genie

Attachments

• джин.jpg
    джин.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 422
Last edited by a moderator:
Level 32
Surprise boy, I got some Pirate Genie for you. I mean, he is more like a choo-choo genie to me.
Again, i know that i name my file genie of war but rethink that kinda weird to do. So i make him grant it user wishes despite he is mute man.
[I kinda lazy to rename the file tho..]
Edit 1: nevermind. I rename some for you because \_(o_O)_/...

This is my final entry!
Genie of Steamy Lake and Fauna

Genie of Steamy Lake or Sauna but whatever..png

Attachments

• ezgif.com-gif-maker.gif
    ezgif.com-gif-maker.gif
    906.3 KB · Views: 172
  • WIP2.png
    WIP2.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 149
  • WIP3.png
    WIP3.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 144
Level 28
@Heinvers, I don't have much free time and my piece is already garbage in my eyes so not really much desire to work on it more. Joined in for the fun :)
We should probably do a concept art contest where you have to design multiple entities, more in the spirit of the industrial design part of concepting, could be interesting.

Get well faster svetlio!

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

Extension? Awesome, I'll do my best to finish up my submission :)

RedLord

R

RedLord

@Mr.Goblin , I inbox you. I'll just leave it here in case you approve my request. :peasant-ok-hand:

@Shido, The genie is a Soul Eater :D

Attachments

• New Genie.jpg
    New Genie.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 300
Status
Not open for further replies.