1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The poll for Hive's 12th Concept Art Contest is up! Go cast your vote for your favourite genie!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Travel to distant realms and encounter scenes unknown to the common folk. The Greatest of Adventures is upon us with the 8th Cinematic Contest. Join in on a fun ride.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The 18th Icon Contest is ON! Choose any ingame unit and give him/her Hero abilities. Good luck to all.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Contestants are to create a scene set in the Stone Age. Come and see what you can come up with. We wish you the best of luck!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Colour outside the lines! Techtree Contest #13 is a go. The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Greetings cerebrates, our Swarm needs new spawners that will have numerous children. Join the HIVE's 31st Modeling Contest - Spawners and Spawned! The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Concept Art Contest #12 - Genie

Discussion in 'Contest Archive' started by Mr.Goblin, Jun 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wazzz

Wazzz

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I've read through the rules of this competition, but am a little unfamiliar with general convention - that is to say, is photo manipulation allowed?

If so, I have a WIP for now, a little less traditional in concept since variations on container and genie type were actively encouraged. Probably a little goofier than the other WIPs I've seen so far, which are looking pretty great.

take away genie.jpg

EDIT: Here's a more recent WIP, with some added effects.

WIP 2.jpg

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
  2. Heinvers

Heinvers

Arena Moderator

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Template:
    Resources:
    @Wazzz please. Read the rules.

Come now people. The contest awaits your sweet fine arts here :]

3. Wazzz

Wazzz

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I did read the rules, you are not explaining where they were allegedly violated.

4. stein123

stein123

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
  5. Fang

Fang

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    @Wazzz
    Concept Art and Photo-Manipulation??

6. Flyphor

Flyphor

Resources:
    Resources:
    Here is my first WIP, just a simple sketch.

Attached Files:

7. Wazzz

Wazzz

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Oh nice, there's certainly a lot of varying opinions on that there it seems. It sort of starts off with some people saying it doesn't count or that it limits the artist, while others sort of go along the lines of saying that it's just another art medium that can be pursued.

It does seem there's no rule against it in this contest, although I wouldn't necessarily expect it to win, it is fun to be a part of a contest.

Nice start, the cape sort of reminds me of Spawn a little bit :D

8. Heinvers

Heinvers

Arena Moderator

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Guys, please ignore @Wazzz , he's derailing the contest thread.

We're awaiting more participants.

9. eubz

eubz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Second WIP here, but I am not in the list of participants yet.
    wip2.png

10. Wazzz

Wazzz

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Now that you mention it, I am not in the list yet, either, and I think a few others are missing at the moment.
    I look forward to seeing how yours develops.

11. morbent

morbent

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Wazzz, I will mention that the professional concept art industry uses a lot of photobashing, however, that is not the same as what you have done now.
    http://onepixelbrush.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Safadi-Swamp-Basin1200.jpg - Has photos and textures but they are nearly invisible because the majority of the image is hand-painted
    https://nathanrudge.files.wordpress.com/2016/01/3.jpg?w=1000 - Lots of real photos photobashed together with hand-painted art on top
    https://cdna.artstation.com/p/asset...30/large/juan-novelletto-final.jpg?1468422307 - Based on a real human photo with hand-painted art on top
    It should be noted that the usage of photos must be to an extent where it becomes nearly indistinguishable. However, the lines are blurry and in some concept arts the photo underneath can clearly be seen, most notably character designs based on a real human and the face being left almost exactly as it was in the photo. It should also be noted that most of these visibly photobashed artworks have their focus not on the image part but on the hand-painted stuff added on top or the combination of almost no hand-painted stuff in a way that creates the concept / design - similar to this https://cdna.artstation.com/p/asset...30/large/juan-novelletto-final.jpg?1468422307
    Another thing to note is that photobash practices are done for speed in concept art, not better design, in 99% of the cases. Concept art has turned into a competitive industry and there is no time to design fully 100% now. It is what it is though and 90% of the concept art industry uses photobashing.

A final point - what you have done can be considered a concept art, because anything can depending on your employer and what he/she wants. However, it would not qualify in terms of the way it was photobashed for the professional definition of concept art, as the industry is. Despite of this, I feel like it can be considered a concept art for this contest as if add a little bit of hand-painted stuff on top or blend these a bit more seemlessly. That's just my opinion though, it's up to the moderators to decide.

I will say to the mods though, Heinvers, just let him have it. It doesn't hurt anybody, gives more entries to the contest and if you are worried about judges having to judge one more entry which is borderline not concept art, they can just judge it quickly without much thought. Shouldn't take more than 2 minutes and Wazzz probably invested some time into his entry, so what's the problem?

12. Archian

Archian

Site Director

Resources:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Perhaps to avoid any "misconception" in the future, the rules need to state that only original hand-painted art is allowed.
    @Heinvers @Mr.Goblin

I'm guessing here. But did you find an already existing image somewhere on the internet? If so, that's a disqualification, as the rules state:

I suppose that includes the objects in the picture too, like that fork and knife...

13. morbent

morbent

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    I feel like we've had this discussion before, but I don't think concept art should include only original hand-painted art. This is just not the concept art industry. Photobashing, unfortunately, is the norm (again, it's quite different from Wazzz's submission).

Look at some Uncharted 4 concept artworks:
    https://magazine.artstation.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/Aaron_Limonick-1024x599.jpg
    https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-medi...675,pg_1,q_80,w_1200/i9dpufz025enva0qcdsd.jpg
    http://www.shaddyconceptart.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Safadi-Looper-2-Web.jpg
    We can clearly see the photos in here. Would artworks like these not be allowed on the Hive concept art contests if we limit things to hand-painted only? Uncharted 4 rejected? Feels kind of wrong to me. It's not my preferred method of work, but I wouldn't want us to reject people who do use these techniques.

Perhaps I'm going off-topic, but at least it makes this contest lively and the topic is semi-related to be honest. If the mods wanna move it to a different thread, lets.

14. stein123

stein123

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
  15. Mr.Goblin

Mr.Goblin

Art and Graphic Design Moderator

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    as long as you change up to 75% of the original picture you're using you can use it. Which isn't the case for Wazz. 100% of the background is from the original image he found + the head is probably 40% or something, which is okay. so technically. if he changes the background for something drawn. It should be.... okay. But he'll definitly have no points for creativity, technicality. But that's classic Wazz, trolling to push the bounderies in a friendly manner. ;)

16. Wazzz

Wazzz

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Nice, it's good to see some more definitive answers I can work with :)

I definitely wanted to see what was allowed and wasn't, and while I don't really have any experience with digital drawing, I'm definitely up for giving it a go based upon the concept I have in my previous WIPs

Thanks for the answers so far, it gives me a lot to work with <3

Oh dang, no points for creativity? I think I'd have some for concept, since it's so atypical to the norm:

Well, at least for being a new creative approach, although I gotta get a little more creative with it I think

Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
  17. Heinvers

Heinvers

Arena Moderator

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Template:
    Resources:

Taken from this video or images he found on the web about him.

Table updated.

The table is merely to keep track of each person that participates and seeing works from them ^^

18. Naze

Naze

Arena Moderator

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Hey everyone. After a internal discussion with the staff, we decided we should write down the "unspoken rule" brought up by Wazzz, morbent, Heinvers and Mr.Goblin in the previous posts.

I just edited the first post, in which I added the following rule:
    Since the humble beginnings of these contests a decade ago, this rule has always been a consensus, so no one ever had the idea to actually write it down. Sorry 'bout that.

Awesome entries around! I'll try to find the time to participate in this one =D

19. Wazzz

Wazzz

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    That's awesome news, thank you :)
    My first time ever with one of these, and I'm no artist so it's good to know what direction I can take my entry for certain

20. GhostOfPast

GhostOfPast

Resources:
    Template:
    Resources:
    My first scratch, the Internet Genie
    "You may have my attention, and you may have 11 wishes. Appearance can be deceptive... that's how all human creativity is. The world wide web is full of surprise, yet we haven't find something funny to create. New memes ? New buzz ? Popularity ? Deep web ? I can answer all of your perversions... or dreams. Who knows ? The consequences will be never the same anyway ehehehehe"

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.