1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still haven't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Let your favorite entries duke it out in the 15th Techtree Contest Poll.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Weave light to take you to your highest hopes - the 6th Special Effect Contest is here!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Concept-Art Contest #11 - The youngest or oldest warrior

Discussion in 'Contest Archive' started by Mr.Goblin, Mar 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Exarch

Exarch

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    I always miss the table and catch everything late but I am in!
    For the records: This theme is super crazy!!

EDIT: got some progress
    wip001.jpg

Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
  2. Shido

Shido

Resources:
    Resources:
    @Exarch that is a cool looking elder knight here. :cgrin: Don't worry, i will sent my child to come get him a last resort.

3. Wildfire

Wildfire

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Does golem alike or creature born from rock etc (like mountain giant) count?

4. Exarch

Exarch

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    My child!! Even though the rage burns in my veins i The Mighty Grandpa feel so tired to hold this sword one last time. Bring your child so i can give him a good lesson before i pass..

Lol thanks Shido! Im wondering what you will come up with.

5. Shido

Shido

Resources:
    Resources:
    I don't think so since golem cannot actually age very well, plus these like rock right. You can actually curve it around so ... * shaking head *

(Quote from Mr Goblin: Being the youngest or the oldest implies it's a living character. )
    So is like deceased character type like undead or simply cannot age won't work.

6. NightStalker

NightStalker

Resources:
    Icons:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    A golem can be really old, since it's part of nature(check mountains, trees), or it can be a very young golem :D

I think gargoyles are similar to golems thanks to sharing the same material on them; rock.

But yeah, @Mr.Goblin should have the last word on it, but I know he likes more free approaches, and less limits ^^ (or maybe I know wrong :O)

--------------

And heres a very sketchy sketch that can count as a wip. I might change the composition; giving the little warrior a leverage from the sea level to get more attention, but i might just leave it like this too, I like what I did with the scenery haha :D

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
  7. Mr.Goblin

Mr.Goblin

Art and Graphic Design Moderator

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    DAYUM! LOVE THE ANGLE! WOOP WOOP! (also, please don't fall into the warcraft3/WoW universe, try to make your armor feel more special! :)

Works for me! but make sure you give enough visuals features to sell the idea that he's either really old or really young. Either by giving him a really long beard made of moss, and shittons of wrinkles, or like really big eyes, red checks and the porportions of a child.

Nice start! But remember, the character is the subject of this concept-art competition, not the landscape. You'll get far more points by making me a close up of the character with high rendering, then sketchy character in a sketchy environement. aka - the environement won't give you much points. Focus on the character

8. NightStalker

NightStalker

Resources:
    Icons:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Thanks, I'm now drawing it on photoshop in a more polished way. That's exactly my thought, I might just get him closer to the front side and itll help me add more detail on my furry possum lad! :p YES, he's gonna be a possum-boy, wielding a weapon. I'll write the background story when I post the entry :D

9. Hayate

Hayate

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    I want to ask, because im not too understand the different between concept art and illustration, :V

But is ok if i do a close up or a medium close up on the face?

Its gonna be a while before i post any wip :v, something that i never draw, having trouble with how to execute it :p

10. Mr.Goblin

Mr.Goblin

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    the main difference between a concept-art and an illustration is = the main goal./the mindset behind their creation.

The main goal of an illustration is to create a beautiful piece of art, with nice shading, coloring, proportions etc. it's a full package. it's The warped gift you give at christmas. It's basically an artistic statement saying = I am skillfull and this is the subject I illustrated to showcase my skills in drawing.

Concept-art's main goal is to convey an idea first. It can be rough around the edges a little, it can be in black in white. But the reason why so many people are confused is that visually, some concept-art looks like illustrations. But that's because the artist choose to render everything he drew almost to perfection because he really wanted to convey his ideas completly and leave very small room for imagination. The artist being like = I want to inform people this armor piece is made of leather, and has some nice ruins patern on it that are golden because it fits the narative the the universe etc. so Visually, some concept-art and illustrations can be the same, but it's the mindset behind both that are completly different.

11. IcemanBo

IcemanBo

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Template:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    It's something very important. Again, plese have a look at arena stickies and relevant points and update first post.

12. Mr.Goblin

Mr.Goblin

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    been copy pasting all over the place, and now I fail to see what's missing or inacurate :S care to help? Also thanks for pointing it out!

13. Flyphor

Flyphor

Resources:
    Resources:
    Hi guys.
    I'll try to join this time too.
    This is the very first sketch. An old warrior decided to stop and relax while drinking a warm mate. Or also know in my state "ChimarrĂ£o".
    I'll chance a lot of things, like the sword, but I hope I can enjoy challenging myself after so much time without drawing.
    Good luck to everone!

Attached Files:

14. Naze

Naze

Arena Moderator

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    It seems the Contest Rules and Conditions are updated now! According to the current Universal Rules found in the templates thread: Templates

It even contained these rules:
    Which didn't apply to Concept Art so I just removed them =P
    So it's updated now unless I missed something.

@Flyphor that's a cool warrior concept, I liked it a lot! I wanna see the final result.

Draw on guys! Let's get to see dem WIPs!

15. IcemanBo

IcemanBo

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Template:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Yeh, the "resource sections" stuff applies for quite some contests, so it's just in default set of rules.

Criteria on which contestants will be judged are yet to be updated. PointValue/Scores of the aspects is currently undefined.

Judges should get +rep, as well.

Also:
    ^it seems like a judging criteria that defines how to reach points, next to the theme description. (?) It seems it can be interpreted a bit arbitary at its current position. But anyways, maybe it's nicer to implement this definition straight into the theme description like "Create a warrior not based on a narrative universe", and then simply the Theme criterie applies, to deduct scores if it doesn't match.

16. Wildfire

Wildfire

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    My WIP:
    a young golem?
    young golem.jpg

17. Shido

Shido

Resources:
    Resources:
    Kinda like your idea for a young golem, some reason XD he remind me to Thor + Thing combine in a good way. XD Keep going buddy.

18. Wildfire

Wildfire

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Glad you like it, I thought it is a weird idea to draw it at first. I just want the young golem to hold some equipments, but dunno which is the most suitable :p Just put a hammer for viewing and stimulate some inspiration (might replace it if there is better idea).
    Btw I find that you post your WIP (kite boy), at your own thread if you want enter competition you must post it at here (according to rule).

Some progress to show:
    my wip 2
    young golem wip 2.jpg

19. Shido

Shido

Resources:
    Resources:
    XD I already asked Mr Goblin to allow post WIP myself keeping hidden here. When i ready, i sent my child to come wipe out XD them.

20. Mr.Goblin

Mr.Goblin

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Thanks for having my back! I'm new to these new templates. My mistake was to copy paste the data from the previous concept-art competition.

Yeah I took the liberty to add this rule since it has been a big issue in the past few concept-art competition. Many hivers lost countless points for great sudmissions in the past. Since it's a warcraft forum people are bound to make something based inside the warcraft universe, but since it'S a concept-art competition, this contest requires people to be ''creative''. so by adding that rule, I just wanted to make sure people would know better from now on.

I'm happy we are having this discussion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.