• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Concept Art Contest #9 - Overwhelming Odds

Status
Not open for further replies.
user160036_pic59500_1342547064-png.241100

concept%20art.png
contest.png
number.png
9.png

cac9int-jpg.243781

Image is courtesy of Clint Langley.

Overwhelming Odds
Contestants are to create a group of people or a single character faced with insurmountable odds or overwhelming numbers of enemies. For example, a knight vs a demon, a squad of marines vs a swarm. Despite their/his oncoming death, "these/this hero/es" faced it with valor and courage, despising fear as it stares at their/his eyes.

contest%20rules%20and%20conditions.png

• No submission may violate any of the site rules.
  • All submissions must follow the current theme. If any concept does not fit, a moderator will tell you as soon as possible as to avoid confusion.
  • Your submission must be posted before the deadline. The post containing your final submission must also contain the following:
    • A thumbnail attachment or and image shown with tags. Please do not give us a link to a site where the image(s) is/are hosted.
    • The file in the appropriate format.
    • Optional short story/lore behind your chosen entry.
  • You must show at least one unfinished preview of your submission, before the deadline, as proof that it’s yours.
  • Your submission may not be started/made before the official launch of the contest.
  • Judges may not participate.
  • Teamwork is not allowed, but providing feedback to other contestants is strongly encouraged.
  • Blood, gore, intense violence, and extreme visions of the grotesque are allowed as long as they follow site rules and are within a good level of reason.
  • Backgrounds on concepts where they are not the main focus are allowed so long as they do not detract from the concept.
  • Both traditional and digital media are accepted for this contest.

prizes.png

• First Place: 50 reputation points and your entry on the award icon
  • Second Place: 35 reputation points and an award icon
  • Third Place: 20 reputation points and an award icon

judges.png

• Mr. Available
  • Mrs. Available
  • Each judge will receive 5 reputation points.
contest%20judging%20and%20voting.png

Theme
Does the artist take advantage of the theme, or is the vision unfitting?/10%

Execution
Does the artist display the design in an effective manner, or is it hard to tell what is what? Are artistic techniques used effectively to make the character interesting, or does the style deteriorate the concept? Is the appearance of the design objectively pleasing, or is it of low quality?/25%

Concept
Does the design offer a new creative approach, or is it generic and cliché? Does it have character, or is it just another boring design? Does the design make sense and fit the description, or is it necessary to read the title to understand?/40%

Realism
Does the design balance, or are the proportions impractical? Is the anatomy or construction correct, does it allow the character to move as it should, or is functionality disregarded entirely?/25%
  • 75 % of the winner shall be determined by the contest's appointed judge(s).
  • 25 % of the winner shall be determined by the results of a public poll.
contest%20dates%20and%20deadline.png

• The contest shall begin on July 22nd 2016, 17:00 GMT and conclude on August 30rd 2016, 21:00 (one week extension), GMT

Assigned Staff: Mr.Goblin

Last edited:
Level 14
Soooo the odds it has become? Dang, I really thought, it would become some AI/cyborg theme and already had ideas. Back to the concept then...

I bet there will be a lot of people joining with this one. :)

Thanks for organizing, Heinvers

Soooo the odds it has become? Dang, I really thought, it would become some AI/cyborg theme and already had ideas. Back to the concept then...

I bet there will be a lot of people joining with this one. :)

Thanks for organizing, Heinvers

Nothing is stoping you to draw an Ai cyborg facing overwhelming odds. :O

Now now there. Thank Mr.Goblin for that. His eagerness to make the art section more interesting is all his credit and this contest as well.
Wouldn't be possible without his support.

Now, go and participate~

Don't listen to Heinvers people, he just can't take compliment... because he'S awesome.

Level 28
@Heinvers we'll praise you and you'll take our compliments by will or by force

The reason overwhelming odds is good because the concept isn't very specific to what the physical appearance of the subjects should be. You could combine Squads and Eldritch Horrors and still relate to the concept

Indeed! In the end, everyone was happy. Like, even who voted for plants can come up with something.

Subscribing & already thinking about my entry now.

I will leave that up to Mr.Goblin if he wants judge selections.
here's what we are going to do, I'll enter... and if by the end of the contest we haven't found any judges, I'll withdraw from the contest and I'll judge. deal? Feel like I'll be missing on the fun if not :D

Works well enough for me : )

Dear hive members... let me introduce Heinvers and I as= casual profesionnals. :D

haha, alright.... I might make a few sketches tonight to get this thread fully started.

======================

Edit = here! Going for Medieval/sci-fi theme, because when the idea came out I felt like doing something with it. :D + drawing warriors is always far more fun!

Attachments

• concept.jpg
    concept.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 727
Last edited:
Level 15
Wow, a new contest. That's fast (I also said this on previous contest)
o.o This sounds interesting. I never draw like this before. This will take long time to finish for me o_O

Here's a sketch with some bad editing.
View attachment 243848
I'll make more of these of different scenes and hopefully find one I like and commit to.
epic battle stance, and yeah it's a good idea to explore a little the composition and ideas before jumping in :D

Uhmmm juicy.

It might get extra juicy if you jump in....just saying :D

=====================

Edit = I,ve started.... + made myself a reference board + made alien research yesterday.

Attachments

• research_concept-arts.jpg
    research_concept-arts.jpg
    358.4 KB · Views: 674
  • research_concept-2.jpg
    research_concept-2.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 672
Last edited:
Level 14
I think I got an idea now :D

It will be a huge stone giant protecting a fairy in its giant hands, while the darkness around them haunts towards them through old oaky trees in the form of wolf-shaped clowds ..

Now I just have to get myself an art pad and hope, my skills are not completely gone yet :D

Level 28
Although I personally don't see a problem 'cause it still is directly related to overwhelming odds, I don't garantee others everyone will agree. If I were you I'd try my best to make sure the aftermath scene still conveys a sense of despair and all that sort of stuff, to avoid it being judged as off theme.

Level 16
Although I personally don't see a problem 'cause it still is directly related to overwhelming odds, I don't garantee others everyone will agree. If I were you I'd try my best to make sure the aftermath scene still conveys a sense of despair and all that sort of stuff, to avoid it being judged as off theme.
I really like the idea of an aftermath and I think I'm gonna go with it. Hopefully judges are okay with it and if not, I'll just reuse the background and just make new characters.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
I really like the idea of an aftermath and I think I'm gonna go with it. Hopefully judges are okay with it and if not, I'll just reuse the background and just make new characters.
I think that is original. An aftermath of an against all odds is basically what you wouldn't expect. Stretching laws is a rebellious action that may have a well deserved benefit.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Here is a wip from me, its a 100x70 board that im drawing. Will post more wips ^^
Lol... That is the single-most "proving you're the actual artist" WIP I've ever seen. The first picture is a picture of you literally drawing the second picture. Ha.

Also, fantastic art. And really, that goes for everyone. Mr. Goblin, how do you make me care so much about a random non-human?

Level 19
Lol... That is the single-most "proving you're the actual artist" WIP I've ever seen. The first picture is a picture of you literally drawing the second picture. Ha.

Also, fantastic art. And really, that goes for everyone. Mr. Goblin, how do you make me care so much about a random non-human?

Ahahaah :D idk i just wanted to share it :D ur explanation sounded like inception tho :D and thanks for the compliment

Level 16
So here's two new wips:
P_20160730_090241.jpg P_20160730_090249.jpg
The guy without the arm is dead and frozen, so is the monster and the blobs(they're not actual blobs). I'll add more dead creatures in there.

And here is the original one before I realized halfway that I made the monsters the focus of the image instead of the knight and kid:
P_20160730_092327.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.