• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Concept Art Contest #12 - Genie

Status
Not open for further replies.
thread_hive_logo-png.311520

ct_concept_art-png.311491
contest-png.311487
p_hash-png.311483
1-png.311474
2-png.311475

genie_by_insolense_d3adjr7-pre.jpg

Image is courtesy of iSOLence

GENIE

Create a Genie and its container. The character should NOT be based on a narrative universe that already exists (Aladdin, Harry Potter, Dragonball, etc.). The concept-art must portray the character of the
Genie coming out of its container (lamp, chest, bottle, etc.): Think of a Misty Fox figure trapped inside a music box or a fire looking demon stuck in a microwave. Get wild with your ideas, anything is possible! :)

What is a Genie?:
A spirit of Arabian folklore , as traditionally depicted imprisoned within a bottle or oil lamp, and capable of granting wishes when summoned.

other_rules_and_conditions-png.311513

• Submissions must follow the contest theme.
  • Submissions may not be started / made before the official launch of the contest.
  • Teamwork is not allowed. Such can be detailed and technical cooperation, like reviewing, which is prohibited. Smaller, subjective feedback is not considered as teamwork and is allowed.
  • Post 2 Work In Progresses (WIPs) in the contest thread during the contest process. It should be clear that you are working on the submission.
  • Your entry should be at least 75% hand drawn for it to be accepted.
  • Post your final entry in the contest thread before contest is over. The post should be a little presentation, having your submission attached.
  • Judges may not participate.

Breaking any of these rules may lead to punishment in the judgement score, up to disqualification from the contest, depending on the weight of the issue. In case of doubts towards a certain rule you are very encouraged to discuss it in the contest thread so others and judges may help with sorting it out.

other_prizes-png.311512

• First Place: 50 reputation points and your entry on the award icon
  • Second Place: 35 reputation points and an award icon
  • Third Place: 20 reputation points and an award icon
  • Judges: 5 reputation points

other_judges-png.311510

• Hemske
  • Heinvers
other_contest_judging-png.311506

Theme
Does the artist take advantage of the theme, or is the vision unfitting?/10

Execution
Does the artist display the design in an effective manner, or is it hard to tell what is what? Are artistic techniques used effectively to make the character interesting, or does the style deteriorate the concept? Is the appearance of the design objectively pleasing, or is it of low quality?/25

Concept
Does the design offer a new creative approach, or is it generic and cliché? Does it have character, or is it just another boring design? Does the design make sense and fit the description, or is it necessary to read the title to understand?/40

Realism
Does the design balance, or are the proportions impractical? Is the anatomy or construction correct, does it allow the character to move as it should, or is functionality disregarded entirely?/25

• Judgement: 70%
  • Poll: 30%
Final Score = (30*Reached_Votes/POSSIBLE_VOTES) + (70*Judge Score/100)
other_dates_and_deadline-png.311507

• The contest shall begin on June 17th 2019, GMT and has been extended, it will now conclude on the The 16th of August 2019, GMT

Assigned Staff: Mr.Goblin

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
Level 31
Better joining, I have enough with another Will Smith no-leg smurf stuff tho.

Edit: Oh first WIP :D tho, i don't really take serious about the contest so i do my best take some time make this cutetie genie over here, container i will think about it later. Might let me hovering a stuff of toys or add something around him.
Edit2: Nah, i have to redo so i will delete the scrap wip

Last edited:
Better joining, I have enough with another Will Smith no-leg smurf stuff tho.

Edit: Oh first WIP :D tho, i don't really take serious about the contest so i do my best take some time make this cutetie genie over here, container i will think about it later. Might let me hovering a stuff of toys or add something around him.

Great. Looking forward for more people around ^_^

Level 31
Hello, @Mr.Goblin can you get rid the first WIP D: , I lost it due to computer reason and can't recover it so i make a new one.

As much lost it away, i will continue to do it and keeping the idea i'm heading for.

Let this file count as my first WIP

Edit: Scrap that, i think i have enough joking around. I start redo another genie (lmfao)
Edit2: Okay, i'm not going to redo another one. I start process from here. :D... Wish me luck as well other artist
Genie of War.png

not yet, container need to look at bit fancy (coffin)

Last edited:
Level 28
WIP2
WIP2.png
WIP3
WIP3.png
WIP4
WIP4.png

Final Entry

WIP4.png

"In the Qurotos, a jinn is described as a being that fulfills the desires of men at a terrible price. In that sense, jinns and demons are not so different. Although unlike demons jinns can sometimes be benevolent, one should always remember that what this being offers is always less than what it takes."
-Ibn Hafris, "The World's Journal"

Last edited:
Level 35
I've read through the rules of this competition, but am a little unfamiliar with general convention - that is to say, is photo manipulation allowed?

If so, I have a WIP for now, a little less traditional in concept since variations on container and genie type were actively encouraged. Probably a little goofier than the other WIPs I've seen so far, which are looking pretty great.

take away genie.jpg

EDIT: Here's a more recent WIP, with some added effects.

WIP 2.jpg

Last edited:
Level 35
I did read the rules, you are not explaining where they were allegedly violated.

• Submissions must follow the contest theme.
  • Submissions may not be started / made before the official launch of the contest.
  • Teamwork is not allowed. Such can be detailed and technical cooperation, like reviewing, which is prohibited. Smaller, subjective feedback is not considered as teamwork and is allowed.
  • Post 2 Work In Progresses (WIPs) in the contest thread during the contest process. It should be clear that you are working on the submission.
  • Post your final entry in the contest thread before contest is over. The post should be a little presentation, having your submission attached.
  • Judges may not participate.

Level 7
@Wazzz
Concept art needs to be generating new ideas. The concept artist needs to be versatile enough to illustrate pretty much anything, in every position.

Using photo manipulation as the main tool for concept art is kind of pointless, since you'd just be sticking a few things together that wouldn't really flow. Not only that, you're entirely limited to the images you can find, unlike when you actually DRAW something and you're only limited to the things you can imagine.
Concept Art and Photo-Manipulation??

Level 35

Oh nice, there's certainly a lot of varying opinions on that there it seems. It sort of starts off with some people saying it doesn't count or that it limits the artist, while others sort of go along the lines of saying that it's just another art medium that can be pursued.

I'll be the contrarian and say pursue whatever technique/medium appeals to you and makes you happy. Photomanipulation is widely used both in the commercial and fine arts spheres. Do be aware that the more you understand perspective, anatomy, light, etc, the better you will be at combining and manipulating photos, and the less likely you are to end up here

Read more: Concept Art and Photo-Manipulation??

It does seem there's no rule against it in this contest, although I wouldn't necessarily expect it to win, it is fun to be a part of a contest.

Here is my first WIP, just a simple sketch.

Nice start, the cape sort of reminds me of Spawn a little bit :D

Level 28
Wazzz, I will mention that the professional concept art industry uses a lot of photobashing, however, that is not the same as what you have done now.
http://onepixelbrush.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Safadi-Swamp-Basin1200.jpg - Has photos and textures but they are nearly invisible because the majority of the image is hand-painted
https://nathanrudge.files.wordpress.com/2016/01/3.jpg?w=1000 - Lots of real photos photobashed together with hand-painted art on top
https://cdna.artstation.com/p/asset...30/large/juan-novelletto-final.jpg?1468422307 - Based on a real human photo with hand-painted art on top
It should be noted that the usage of photos must be to an extent where it becomes nearly indistinguishable. However, the lines are blurry and in some concept arts the photo underneath can clearly be seen, most notably character designs based on a real human and the face being left almost exactly as it was in the photo. It should also be noted that most of these visibly photobashed artworks have their focus not on the image part but on the hand-painted stuff added on top or the combination of almost no hand-painted stuff in a way that creates the concept / design - similar to this https://cdna.artstation.com/p/asset...30/large/juan-novelletto-final.jpg?1468422307
Another thing to note is that photobash practices are done for speed in concept art, not better design, in 99% of the cases. Concept art has turned into a competitive industry and there is no time to design fully 100% now. It is what it is though and 90% of the concept art industry uses photobashing.

A final point - what you have done can be considered a concept art, because anything can depending on your employer and what he/she wants. However, it would not qualify in terms of the way it was photobashed for the professional definition of concept art, as the industry is. Despite of this, I feel like it can be considered a concept art for this contest as if add a little bit of hand-painted stuff on top or blend these a bit more seemlessly. That's just my opinion though, it's up to the moderators to decide.

I will say to the mods though, Heinvers, just let him have it. It doesn't hurt anybody, gives more entries to the contest and if you are worried about judges having to judge one more entry which is borderline not concept art, they can just judge it quickly without much thought. Shouldn't take more than 2 minutes and Wazzz probably invested some time into his entry, so what's the problem?

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
Perhaps to avoid any "misconception" in the future, the rules need to state that only original hand-painted art is allowed.
@Heinvers @Mr.Goblin

I did read the rules
I'm guessing here. But did you find an already existing image somewhere on the internet? If so, that's a disqualification, as the rules state:

I suppose that includes the objects in the picture too, like that fork and knife...

Level 28
I feel like we've had this discussion before, but I don't think concept art should include only original hand-painted art. This is just not the concept art industry. Photobashing, unfortunately, is the norm (again, it's quite different from Wazzz's submission).

Look at some Uncharted 4 concept artworks:
https://magazine.artstation.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/Aaron_Limonick-1024x599.jpg
https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-medi...675,pg_1,q_80,w_1200/i9dpufz025enva0qcdsd.jpg
http://www.shaddyconceptart.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Safadi-Looper-2-Web.jpg
We can clearly see the photos in here. Would artworks like these not be allowed on the Hive concept art contests if we limit things to hand-painted only? Uncharted 4 rejected? Feels kind of wrong to me. It's not my preferred method of work, but I wouldn't want us to reject people who do use these techniques.

Perhaps I'm going off-topic, but at least it makes this contest lively and the topic is semi-related to be honest. If the mods wanna move it to a different thread, lets.

Reactions: San
as long as you change up to 75% of the original picture you're using you can use it. Which isn't the case for Wazz. 100% of the background is from the original image he found + the head is probably 40% or something, which is okay. so technically. if he changes the background for something drawn. It should be.... okay. But he'll definitly have no points for creativity, technicality. But that's classic Wazz, trolling to push the bounderies in a friendly manner. ;)

Level 35
Nice, it's good to see some more definitive answers I can work with :)

I definitely wanted to see what was allowed and wasn't, and while I don't really have any experience with digital drawing, I'm definitely up for giving it a go based upon the concept I have in my previous WIPs

Thanks for the answers so far, it gives me a lot to work with <3

Oh dang, no points for creativity? I think I'd have some for concept, since it's so atypical to the norm:

Does the design offer a new creative approach, or is it generic and cliché? Does it have character, or is it just another boring design? Does the design make sense and fit the description, or is it necessary to read the title to understand?

Well, at least for being a new creative approach, although I gotta get a little more creative with it I think

Last edited:
Level 28
Hey everyone. After a internal discussion with the staff, we decided we should write down the "unspoken rule" brought up by Wazzz, morbent, Heinvers and Mr.Goblin in the previous posts.

I just edited the first post, in which I added the following rule:
  • Your entry should be at least 75% hand drawn for it to be accepted.

Since the humble beginnings of these contests a decade ago, this rule has always been a consensus, so no one ever had the idea to actually write it down. Sorry 'bout that.

Awesome entries around! I'll try to find the time to participate in this one =D

Level 35
Hey everyone. After a internal discussion with the staff, we decided we should write down the "unspoken rule" brought up by Wazzz, morbent, Heinvers and Mr.Goblin in the previous posts.

I just edited the first post, in which I added the following rule:

Since the humble beginnings of these contests a decade ago, this rule has always been a consensus, so no one ever had the idea to actually write it down. Sorry 'bout that.

Awesome entries around! I'll try to find the time to participate in this one =D

That's awesome news, thank you :)
My first time ever with one of these, and I'm no artist so it's good to know what direction I can take my entry for certain

My first scratch, the Internet Genie
"You may have my attention, and you may have 11 wishes. Appearance can be deceptive... that's how all human creativity is. The world wide web is full of surprise, yet we haven't find something funny to create. New memes ? New buzz ? Popularity ? Deep web ? I can answer all of your perversions... or dreams. Who knows ? The consequences will be never the same anyway ehehehehe"

Attachments

• The internet genie v01.png
    The internet genie v01.png
    338.7 KB · Views: 209
Level 50
I might eventually join, even though the theme seems somewhat random to me. And I never understood why these contests aren't more wc3 orientated. Without proper context, entries are often set to seem irrelevant.

The character should NOT be based on a narrative universe that already exists
Why is that? One shouldn't make genies based on wc3 races/ universe or?

Level 34
I might eventually join, even though the theme seems somewhat random to me. And I never understood why these contests aren't more wc3 orientated. Without proper context, entries are often set to seem irrelevant.

Why is that? One shouldn't make genies based on wc3 races/ universe or?
:peasant-shocked:It's up to the moderators, i enjoy more making my concept art pieces for the Hive to be set in the warcraft universe, like, a lot, but everyone seems to be fine with that decision :peasant-work-work: (I'm still not sure if i'm gonna participate, i tried to toy with a few ideas, but i can't get anything satisfactory)

Level 28
Haven't worked on my piece, Archian.

Regarding the rule, since this is the Hive and it's based around Warcraft 3, maybe allowing concept art based on universes would be better than not.
Reasons to change the ruling:
1) Consider that most professional concept artists nowadays work on concept art for already established universes since few new settings are created.
2) Working with certain limitations (a setting) can force more creativity.
3) If more people are willing to join because we now allow universe-based concept art that would mean more entries > bigger contest > more fun.
4) If you are worried that an in-universe concept is less concept art, it's not. In fact, capturing the style of a certain universe can be quite hard and just because you are creating something in a universe does not mean you are making fan art (and if you are, then yes, you lose points for creativity). I haven't seen a genie in Warcraft and if none exist it would be 100% concept art if one was to design one.
5) The slight advantages of being able to use a universe are: 1. A good reference library 2. A good design style already chosen for you. Is that really a lot though? It's kind of draining in fact, especially if it's not your style. And if it is, well you can still make an off-universe concept art that fully resembles the Warcraft / WoW concept art style, so it's really of no importance.
Reasons not to change the ruling:
1) (Guessing here) If there is a prize, these entries will have to be disqualified due to legal stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.