• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Chaos Champions RPG: III

This bundle is marked as high quality. It exceeds standards and is highly desirable.
Gray_Fox Presents

CHAOS CHAMPIONS RPG III
-Version 1.1-

---The Khor'gul Badlands---

Map Info:
Khor'gul Badlands is the third entry in my Chaos Champions series.
A single player Dungeon Crawler RPG map. Each map is its' own self-contained
adventure set in a different location within the Warcraft Universe.

Select your Champion from a selection of
19 custom heroes with unique abilities. Explore, slay enemies, collect loot,
discover treasures and defeat powerful Bosses.

Story:
Growing weary of the peaceful times, those who longed to return to a life of war and conquest have seceded
from the horde and formed a new clan: the Khor'gul.
Now, amassing their forces somewhere in the Barrens, their ruthless and savage ways have attracted the attention
of all sort of dubious characters and their numbers are increasing surprisingly rapid.
To quell this uprising before it gets out of hand, Champions from the Nether are once more called upon
to challenge Fate!

New Features:
-Runes of Power, temporary powerups which unleash devastating magic can turn the tide of battle!
-Potions have been overhauled and can now be used with simple hotkeys. They also no longer take up space in your inventory.
-Complete additional Challenges during Boss Fights to receive an additional Reward!
(See your Quest Log for specifics)
-Many New Item types can now be found in Treasure Chests.
-The Tome of Insights now functions similarily to the Backpack, allowing you to upgrade Attributes wherever you are.
-A new Hero, the Stormtalon has joined the ranks.

Screenshots:

266315-ce4ce039d67ea46e3f5a59e614358ddd.jpg
266351-0283d14f9f584e95a462fab9277e3281.jpg

266339-4a00ae44b384a0a0951afd67dd995adc.jpg
266342-5762aa6f499f4ef4cf7bf11e4943bff5.jpg

267145-78abf5825c784127a4fa33e3eb91c6f8.jpg

266340-46aaa61f3c608586b659049c9af1008e.jpg

266348-72515bdabb5dc2007d5d4f9c1521be38.jpg

267147-f4e9e29ba5bc81d1e26e54092a2c26f5.jpg
266341-5e15d2d30cf3a4b52a4526434e6185cd.jpg

267146-accb67043cc4ec2950ecb6bd6b7710f7.jpg
266353-1423720ddccfbb049f986fb592b48375.jpg

266346-d28b53395f589d5c508dac97a5d66c05.jpg

266349-862d84e92346296546e7649b0cf11465.jpg

267149-a752edd10f66857a502e4622b18d59fe.jpg

266354-ce4ce039d67ea46e3f5a59e614358ddd.jpg

267148-9ad7216355dbaa273306979a0f7a6374.jpg

266345-79c2f6b3eb91069e4b4f8056e24f3cab.jpg

Change Log:

• Release Version

• Some Pathing Issues fixed
  • Bug Fixes / Small tweaks
  • Or'grosh Conductor is no longer sleeping on the job and has become a bit more aggresive.
  • Pricing on some Items changed.

• New Hero: the Stormtalon, a powerful druid who commands the power of wind and lightning.
  • NPC's offering new custom dialogues throughout your journey.
  • A Ghostly Guide has appeared on the shores of the Badlands, offering you a choice of starting gifts.
  • New Secrets have been added!
  • Bug Fixes
  • Balance Adjustments
  • Added a UI element for Rune Charges.

Credits:

Special Thanks to the following people!
  • Kacpa2 -- Improved Jaina
  • Kenathorn -- Icons to Models Pack
  • teebling -- WoW Icons Pack
  • The_Silent -- Pie Item
  • Hexus -- Fountain
  • MiniMage -- Goblin Tinker Turret
  • theJ89 -- Jetpack Model
  • Rubellu Sidus -- Wind Rider on Foot
  • HappyCockroach -- Avatar of Storms
  • chilla_killa -- Crane
  • VinZ -- Magic Effects
  • Kwaliti -- Orc Wall Banner
  • Kofi_Banan -- Train Wagons
  • Herio -san -- Barrens Rock
  • Communist_orc -- Training Dummy, Pillbox
  • WILL THE ALLMIGHTY -- Nuclear Explosion
  • General Frank -- Orb of Dragons, Water, Lightning
  • Frostwhisper -- Elemental Lord, Orcish Runes
  • Norinrad -- Rock Elemental
  • Alfredx_sotn --Water Elemental, Lightning Elemental
  • Kuzakani -- Horde Mana Bomb
  • johnwar - Gnoll Treasure Hunter, Grunt models, Re-Classic packs
  • Tr!KzZ - Gold Coins Item
  • D4RK_G4ND4LF - Dark Vortex
  • dhguardianes - Lightning Nova
  • hate - Bone Guard
  • Deolrin -- Centaur Flamecaller
  • Champara Bros -- Lava Tentacle
  • UgoUgo -- Blackpyro Tyrant
  • The Weird Human -- Clockwerk Giant
  • Kuhnegetz -- Gems, Grim Reaper Hero, Lions
  • Mr Ogre Man -- Ogre Cannoneer and Ogre Pirate
  • z00rtaz -- Zealot Grunt
  • Ilya Alaric -- Axemaster Pack
  • Retera -- Hero Orc Shaman
  • Direfury -- Admiral Proudmoore
  • Zaldazzor -- Blue Treasure Chest
  • Direfury -- Admiral Proudmoore
  • Khazmo -- Cannons
  • Stefan.K -- Draka
  • Skymarshall -- Goblin Buildings
  • Mike -- Turret
  • Takakenji -- Orcish Wall
  • Sephiroth_VII -- Train Tracks
  • JB_McKnight -- Sentry Turret
  • Mephestrial -- Woodwall 135
  • T.J. -- Orc Warlock
  • Mister_Haudrauf -- Skeletal Razormanes
  • Pvt. Toma -- Mechanized Abomination
  • HerrDave -- Void Rifts, Sword Item
  • Mr. Bob -- Metal Mine
  • Tamplier -- Old School Altar of Storms
  • Jhotam -- Cup of Mana
  • Callahan -- Orc Boar Rider
  • Ujimasa Hojo -- Derivatives Packs
  • Hyunrai -- Baron Rivendare
  • Kitabatake -- Pistol
  • G00dG4m3 -- Heroic Leap AoE Spell
  • Jorge Jacinto -- Map Loading / Preview image Art
  • kobas - Map Description Template
  • Grantuu, Hex.16 -- Crow Swarm 1.10
  • Everyone who has played/provided feedback on previous Chaos Champions!

Author's notes:

Check out the previous Chaos Champions here:
  • Delve into Blightheart Hold, a twisted Kirin Tor ruin and purge the Undead Infestation!
  • Uncover the Secrets of Elderroot Grove and those who seek to defile it!

For feedback, suggestions, bugs, message me or leave a comment.
Thank you for checking out / playing my map!

Map Description Template Created by -Kobas-
Find more here: Map Description - Templates

Contents

Chaos Champions III (Map)

Reviews
deepstrasz
O'grosh conductor can be easily beaten as he casts Ensnare and then just stands still if you're far enough. Also, he sleeps at night. Not sure if intended. Dummy silver gates (that lead to some place you can get without needing to open that door)...
Level 2
I really like the added voice-overs in the cinematics and non-cinematics which helped enhance in the immersion of my playthrough. I also enjoyed the moderate-lengthed gameplay and the multitude of quality-of-life features which have been further improvised from existing maps.

I never thought that you could use a mini-tornado as a teleportation portal. Many map curators would have opted to use a typical TP pad instead. The terrain is beautiful, well-executed and minimal map-wastage. What intrigued me more was the initial glimmer when entering a newly discovered area and the color of it which represented the area's hostility/neutrality.

A small complaint of mine, you might want to consider keeping the hero summoning stones side-by-side. I realized I could only choose the dreadlord when I moved the kodo next to stone #2. As such, I felt the fake portal between the summoning stones was quite redundant since you'd be TP'ed to the starting location anyway. Perhaps 3 summoning stones sorted by primary attributes might be better too?

Nonetheless, I'm grateful to have chanced upon this map of yours and I look forward to more of your projects. Stay healthy and take care.

Rating: 4.8/5

Last edited:

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
  1. O'grosh conductor can be easily beaten as he casts Ensnare and then just stands still if you're far enough. Also, he sleeps at night. Not sure if intended.
  2. Dummy silver gates (that lead to some place you can get without needing to open that door) aren't fun; it costs 1k gold to open one.
  3. No way to dodge Obsideon's meteors and you can't heal with the stones. You need to leave some inventory room for potions.
  4. Hero selected when meeting Korgash.
  5. So, I was fighting the centaur and golem bosses and I suddenly found myself dead. Not sure how to dodge that. OK, so there's a patch of land to stay on if you can reach it in time if not slowed. Seems random; save-load trial and error. Found the info in the quest log about opposite elements but it's still a lot of saving and loading.
  6. Not sure if intended but the Purging Stones and Obsidian Watchers appeared again. As well as the Kor'gul ward. They constantly reappear after destroying them. Crap, the zone's been locked by rock chunks too.
  7. The last boss' attack animation looks bad since it can't move and attacks with its back.
  8. Some issues with Precious; you can snipe the thing from a annex room to the arena. Also, the changed camera remains.
  9. Attached some pathing issue pictures.
  10. champ01.pngchamp02.pngchamp03.pngchamp04.pngchamp05.pngchamp06.png

A neatly made brawler RPG with no multiplayer but with solo replayability. Too bad it doesn't really have any story.

Approved.

If you want more reviews, you should participate in the The Grand Review Exchange!

R U L E S

Site Rules
Map Submission Rules

M A P - D E S C R I P T I O N
BB CODES
BB Codes | HIVE

MELEE MAPS
Description Guide - Melee Maps
Describing Your Melee Map
Melee Map Description Generator v1.3

MAPS IN GENERAL
The importance of a Description
Description Guide - Maps
Map Thread Guide
Map Description Making: Good & Bad
Map Description - Templates
Map Description Generator [1.2]

How to Add a Screenshot to your Map Description

ADDITIONAL NECESSARY INFORMATION
  • A credits list in the map thread description is required where the names of the resource (models, skins, icons, spells, sound etc.) authors are mentioned along with the specific resource. It would be a luxury to have links leading to the used resources. Credits in the Quest Log would be appreciated too.
  • A detailed changelog in the first post would be helpful to reviewers and notify fans about the newest implementations to your map.
  • Map thread tags are important. Please use those that fit and not more or none.

M A P - C R E A T I O N - G U I D E S

If you're not satisfied with the review and wish another opinion, contact the other reviewers or use the staff contact:
https://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/staff-contact.692/

Level 10
  1. O'grosh conductor can be easily beaten as he casts Ensnare and then just stands still if you're far enough. Also, he sleeps at night. Not sure if intended.
  2. Dummy silver gates (that lead to some place you can get without needing to open that door) aren't fun; it costs 1k gold to open one.
  3. No way to dodge Obsideon's meteors and you can't heal with the stones. You need to leave some inventory room for potions.
  4. Hero selected when meeting Korgash.
  5. So, I was fighting the centaur and golem bosses and I suddenly found myself dead. Not sure how to dodge that. OK, so there's a patch of land to stay on if you can reach it in time if not slowed. Seems random; save-load trial and error. Found the info in the quest log about opposite elements but it's still a lot of saving and loading.
  6. Not sure if intended but the Purging Stones and Obsidian Watchers appeared again. As well as the Kor'gul ward. They constantly reappear after destroying them. Crap, the zone's been locked by rock chunks too.
  7. The last boss' attack animation looks bad since it can't move and attacks with its back.
  8. Some issues with Precious; you can snipe the thing from a annex room to the arena. Also, the changed camera remains.
  9. Attached some pathing issue pictures.
  10. View attachment 446733View attachment 446734View attachment 446735View attachment 446736View attachment 446737View attachment 446738

A neatly made brawler RPG with no multiplayer but with solo replayability. Too bad it doesn't really have any story.

Approved.

If you want more reviews, you should participate in the The Grand Review Exchange!

R U L E S

Site Rules
Map Submission Rules

M A P - D E S C R I P T I O N
BB CODES
BB Codes | HIVE

MELEE MAPS
Description Guide - Melee Maps
Describing Your Melee Map
Melee Map Description Generator v1.3

MAPS IN GENERAL
The importance of a Description
Description Guide - Maps
Map Thread Guide
Map Description Making: Good & Bad
Map Description - Templates
Map Description Generator [1.2]

How to Add a Screenshot to your Map Description

ADDITIONAL NECESSARY INFORMATION
  • A credits list in the map thread description is required where the names of the resource (models, skins, icons, spells, sound etc.) authors are mentioned along with the specific resource. It would be a luxury to have links leading to the used resources. Credits in the Quest Log would be appreciated too.
  • A detailed changelog in the first post would be helpful to reviewers and notify fans about the newest implementations to your map.
  • Map thread tags are important. Please use those that fit and not more or none.

M A P - C R E A T I O N - G U I D E S

If you're not satisfied with the review and wish another opinion, contact the other reviewers or use the staff contact:
https://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/staff-contact.692/
I really like the added voice-overs in the cinematics and non-cinematics which helped enhance in the immersion of my playthrough. I also enjoyed the moderate-lengthed storyline and the multitude of quality-of-life features which have been further improvised from existing maps.

I never thought that you could use a mini-tornado as a teleportation portal. Many map curators would have opted to use a typical TP pad instead. The terrain is beautiful, well-executed and minimal map-wastage. What intrigued me more was the initial glimmer when entering a newly discovered area and the color of it which represented the area's hostility/neutrality.

A small complaint of mine, you might want to consider keeping the hero summoning stones side-by-side. I realized I could only choose the dreadlord when I moved the kodo next to stone #2. As such, I felt the fake portal between the summoning stones was quite redundant since you'd be TP'ed to the starting location anyway. Perhaps 3 summoning stones sorted by primary attributes might be better too?

Nonetheless, I'm grateful to have chanced upon this map of yours and I look forward to more of your projects. Stay healthy and take care.

Rating: 4.8/5

Thank you once again Deepstrasz for the Approval and review :grin:
And thank you aswell Relaxkinggg. I'm glad you enjoyed it! :wink:

Will update soon with fixes for the mentioned issues and adjustments based on feedback, thank you very much for pointing out and providing the screenshots. That helps out alot!

Level 13
This is information that is unnecessary at this stage but may prove useful at a later stage.

Chaos Champions 1 and 2 had no problems with 1.27 and Rebirth 8. However, Chaos Champions 3 must be played on a "clean" installation because under Rebirth when loading the map, the error "Not enough memory" is received.

Level 2
This was a really, REALLY fun map, and it's interesting to see the very clear and distinct improvements made in each Chaos Champions map!
The new potion system is a MASSIVE improvement over its previous iteration. Additionally, the first boss in this map is way more engaging and less frustrating than those of the previous two installments (the first map's unavoidable projectiles, and the second map's cramped arena coupled with AoE stuns), which was my biggest gripe with both of them. Runes are fun, though I wish that there were a UI element to indicate how many casts of the current rune are left. Perhaps it could be added to the upper right panel. Also, the use of AI voiceacting was surprising, but added quite a bit to the moments of downtime to keep things from ever feeling hollow.
I did notice a problem with cutscenes. The default button to skip a cutscene is Escape - so if you have a rune equipped, attempting to skip a cutscene will eat a charge. Also, the cutscene after the Primal boss is not skippable; pressing Escape will instead skip the dialogue and leave the rest playing in awkward silence. I have not tested if this also happens with any other cutscenes.
There were also other fringe issues and oversights. If you manage to kill the second boss while it is in the animation of shattering your healthstone, the attack will still play out after the fight ends. After you pick up all of the fragments, you won't actually be given your healthstone back, completely crippling the rest of your run. Also, the boss will come back invisible and untargetable to start smacking you, but he leashes pretty quickly so that part isn't too relevant. Other than that, there were a few spots I noticed you could clip out of the playable area and run around in the out of bounds. The attached picture is one of them.
Warcraft_III_pm18HDSdSQ.jpg

There was also a spot you could walk out of the final boss' arena into the doodads behind it (not sure if it's possible in the first phase), as well as the ability for the Naga hero to just swim out of the final boss arena and go pretty much anywhere in the map.
Aside from that, the only real little thing to mention is that it's not really clear what a few of the cheats in the tome you get after beating the map actually do.

Level 10
This was a really, REALLY fun map, and it's interesting to see the very clear and distinct improvements made in each Chaos Champions map!
The new potion system is a MASSIVE improvement over its previous iteration. Additionally, the first boss in this map is way more engaging and less frustrating than those of the previous two installments (the first map's unavoidable projectiles, and the second map's cramped arena coupled with AoE stuns), which was my biggest gripe with both of them. Runes are fun, though I wish that there were a UI element to indicate how many casts of the current rune are left. Perhaps it could be added to the upper right panel. Also, the use of AI voiceacting was surprising, but added quite a bit to the moments of downtime to keep things from ever feeling hollow.
I did notice a problem with cutscenes. The default button to skip a cutscene is Escape - so if you have a rune equipped, attempting to skip a cutscene will eat a charge. Also, the cutscene after the Primal boss is not skippable; pressing Escape will instead skip the dialogue and leave the rest playing in awkward silence. I have not tested if this also happens with any other cutscenes.
There were also other fringe issues and oversights. If you manage to kill the second boss while it is in the animation of shattering your healthstone, the attack will still play out after the fight ends. After you pick up all of the fragments, you won't actually be given your healthstone back, completely crippling the rest of your run. Also, the boss will come back invisible and untargetable to start smacking you, but he leashes pretty quickly so that part isn't too relevant. Other than that, there were a few spots I noticed you could clip out of the playable area and run around in the out of bounds. The attached picture is one of them.
View attachment 448521
There was also a spot you could walk out of the final boss' arena into the doodads behind it (not sure if it's possible in the first phase), as well as the ability for the Naga hero to just swim out of the final boss arena and go pretty much anywhere in the map.
Aside from that, the only real little thing to mention is that it's not really clear what a few of the cheats in the tome you get after beating the map actually do.

Thank you very much! :grin:
I'm glad you enjoyed it!

And thank you for pointing out some of the issues and the suggestions. I'll get to work on these as soon as I can!

Edit: I fixed some of the pathing issues, disabled runes during cutscenes and changed the times when 2nd Boss goes into the air. It shouldn't be possible to kill him before he flies up now. (Unless you are using cheats!)

I've also added a UI element into the command board for Rune charges. Thanks for the suggestion :wink:

Last edited: