• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Blizzard's Bugged Resources

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Indeed the steam tank had a wrecking ball, I even had the model somewhere on my pc along with other beta models, such as the tauren with ball and chain.

Also, Blizzard hid some model animations by naming the sequences "bla". The Infernal Cannon is one example (blaSpell), while the pandaren elementals have their death and dissipate animations (need confirmation, don't have War3x.mpq at the moment) renames just "bla" and thus not displayed ingame.

Abilities\Spells\Orc\Berserker\Berserkertarget.mdx is a bugged model which cannot open in most model editors. I have examined it in MDLVis though, and I think I even managed to display it in-game.
1) Oh really? Pray tell, could you perchance find the Beta "Minotaur" model? I'd really be interested in collecting it, and I'm sure others would as well.

2) Definitely. Actually, that would make for some easy modding; just go into Magos and rename the animations and voila, usable units.

3) So what did it look like!?

Level 8
Some "theories":
Archmage was on foot with a sword (his skin still contains a sword as a possble proof), no screenshot evidence so that was probably just an idea
14.jpg

Revenant was an undead unit called "death knight"
there are many screenshots on scrollsoflore.com
just a theory, since it says "Revenant (previously Death Knight)"
and another one

before lich there was a "Cold Wraith" (I guess because it's "cold")
model
art
screenshot in model editor
his death and decay spell-can't find it...cold wraith is floating in air with some red circles on ground

Level 21

Many things in here look much better than current version in my opinion.

Some "theories":
Archmage was on foot with a sword (his skin still contains a sword as a possble proof), no screenshot evidence so that was probably just an idea
14.jpg

Revenant was an undead unit called "death knight"
there are many screenshots on scrollsoflore.com
just a theory, since it says "Revenant (previously Death Knight)"
and another one

before lich there was a "Cold Wraith" (I guess because it's "cold")
model
art
screenshot in model editor
his death and decay spell-can't find it...cold wraith is floating in air with some red circles on ground

Btw, there's a model that is very similar to original archmage. http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/models-530/elvenarchcleric-48586/?prev=search%3Darchcleric%26d%3Dlist%26r%3D20

Level 18
1) Oh really? Pray tell, could you perchance find the Beta "Minotaur" model? I'd really be interested in collecting it, and I'm sure others would as well.

2) Definitely. Actually, that would make for some easy modding; just go into Magos and rename the animations and voila, usable units.

3) So what did it look like!?

1) The model, along with the War3 beta and other alpha models (they were not in the beta) was on my old HDD which died. I can request them from the guy who fund and collected them in the first place.

2) Yes.

3) It's composed of many billboarded green glow planes which rotate around a point in a quite elaborate manner. If the model were to be fixed and adorned with ribbons, it'd become something really sweet.

Also, mind your tone, will you?

Btw, now I notice that the shield on the War3 alpha knights uses the texture which is now on the Scroll of Protection SFX model.

Last edited:
Level 18
I remember reading in a magazine that the resource for the undead was corpses.

Btw, I know we're in the modeling forum, but if I were to find the beta again, could some JASS-er rip the corpse explosion ability from it? It's quite useful.

Level 6
I just saw that there is no actual wood. It is 'health stone'?

Resource development:
Code:
September 1999 : Gold & Units/Supply(?)
Jan 00 - Sep 00: Gold
Oct?00 - Feb?01: Gold & Units/Supply
Mar 00 - Sep 01: Gold & Units/Supply & Mana Stones
Oct 00 - Dec?01: Gold & Units/Supply & Mana Stones & Lumber
Jan 02 - Today : Gold & Units/Supply & Lumber

Reactions: Rui
Level 6
I really do mean that, you seem to know everything there is to know about Wc3 Beta. Inside sources or just fanaticism? ;D

I don't really have inside sources. I'm just a passionate and thorough researcher and seem to be good at locating sources.

What if Hallfiry is actually a blizzard agent and is just pretending to be a modder so that they can gain intel on what were doing with their WE. :O

When did I become a (pretend-)modder?

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
1) The model, along with the War3 beta and other alpha models (they were not in the beta) was on my old HDD which died. I can request them from the guy who fund and collected them in the first place.
Oh cool. While I have collected many of them, I'd be really interested to see whatcha got. : )

Nhazul said:
3) It's composed of many billboarded green glow planes which rotate around a point in a quite elaborate manner. If the model were to be fixed and adorned with ribbons, it'd become something really sweet.
Hum, that's really cool. Someone should throw that out to the Modelling Request forum.

Nhazul said:
Also, mind your tone, will you?
Sorry, was just being silly. Meant to throw a smiley-face or something; wasn't meant to be rude. :<

Level 6
I'm surprised, the 1.00 cannon tower wasn't mentioned, yet. Four muzzles is quite a weird thing :)

Also: How about the texture for the walking Frost Wyrm (ingame from May 2000 untill ~January 2001), that is used for the TFT main menu (the spiked back of a creature that sometimes appears in the sea)?

I'm surprised, the 1.00 cannon tower wasn't mentioned, yet. Four muzzles is quite a weird thing :)

Also: How about the texture for the walking Frost Wyrm (ingame from May 2000 untill ~January 2001), that is used for the TFT main menu (the spiked back of a creature that sometimes appears in the sea)?

Four muzzles? Please elaborate.

Level 3
I think I've found another bug. If you look at DoomDeath's sound object, you'll see that it's sound plays at 1033 even though its only sequence goes from 2133 to 2633. Thus, if you export it and import it, no sound will play. Plus, the sound associated with it in Magos is wrong. The DoomTarget sound is the one that plays when you try to fix the sequence. I haven't found where DoomDeath's actual sound is located.

EDIT: Found it. It's actually Incinerate's sound effect that should be playing.

Level 48
The Space Orc Marine is named "ChaosSpaceOrc" in the files. Additionally, its skin is colored a very strange variation of green, with yellow eyes, which is unusual for Orcish units. It also has strange tattoo-like lines on its face which are common among Fel Orc textures. Finally, I found this image on the Starcraft Wiki:
http://images.wikia.com/starcraft/images/7/7b/SpaceFelOrc_WC3_Game1.jpg
(Dated 2008)
All of these seem to point to the fact that the Space Orc Marine used to be a Fel Orc, for some reason. An interesting, but probably useless fact.

By the way - did anyone actually ever get their hands on that Necropolis model?
http://www.scrollsoflore.com/gallery/albums/war3_prerelease/113.jpg
I would LOVE to have it. It looks extremely sweet. :)

The Space Orc Marine is named "ChaosSpaceOrc" in the files. Additionally, its skin is colored a very strange variation of green, with yellow eyes, which is unusual for Orcish units. It also has strange tattoo-like lines on its face which are common among Fel Orc textures. Finally, I found this image on the Starcraft Wiki:
http://images.wikia.com/starcraft/images/7/7b/SpaceFelOrc_WC3_Game1.jpg
(Dated 2008)
All of these seem to point to the fact that the Space Orc Marine used to be a Fel Orc, for some reason. An interesting, but probably useless fact.

Ujimasa Hojo, has tried to capture the vibe of the old one in one of his models.
But this some seem to have totally different textures, which really look stretched in many place

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Yeah, Ultimata has made it his mission to physically resurrect a lot of old Beta/Alpha models. He's got a 4-tier Necropolis similar to the on you indicated, a spider-den-looking building like the one in the top left of that screenshot, and I think he has those Ziggurats, too. Some are just basically just reskins, but others he's done a lot of work one.

Level 18
The militia as seen on this screenshot were added in the early beta patches. I actually extracted the model a few days ago. Bandits did not yet exist as creeps.

About the ncropolis, now that I look at it, at least part of the textures can be found on the undead interface files.

Level 48
The militia as seen on this screenshot were added in the early beta patches. I actually extracted the model a few days ago. Bandits did not yet exist as creeps.

Really? Could you post it here? Maybe Kyrbi0 could at least update his WC3C beta compilation. Every alpha\beta resource helps! :)

About the ncropolis, now that I look at it, at least part of the textures can be found on the undead interface files.

Yeah, I thought the same. But that still leaves out most of the necropolis body, which has a cool green-ish texture, not to mention that the green sludge looks a lot cooler than what we have in WC3(it's glowing radiantly and is flowing down in a sort of zig-zaggy way).

Level 18
Since this thread has turned into something of a beta model thread, look what I found:

Attachments

• BLP1_DruidottheTalon.blp
    113.8 KB · Views: 222
  • DruidoftheTalon.mdx
    456.4 KB · Views: 230
  • BLP1_Raven.blp
    57.1 KB · Views: 188
  • DruidoftheTalon_Portrait.mdx
    117.1 KB · Views: 203
  • BLP1_BTNDruidOfTheTalon.blp
    9.5 KB · Views: 192
Level 12
Since this thread has turned into something of a beta model thread, look what I found:

oh my god, it's perfect, where you gotta find this rarity?

+REP :D

[EDIT]

I have a model of the Druid of The Claw Beta, but it does not have the version of bear,

can someone fix this?

Attachments

• DruidoftheClawBETA_portrait.mdx
    30.3 KB · Views: 147
  • DruidoftheClawBETA.mdx
    65 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.