• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Starcraft 2 Modeling [Known methods and Discussion]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well guys, sorry for being unactive lately. Here's a project of a tool which will allow you to convert SC2 models(.m3) into OBJ; the tool is being developed by dot.qwenty. I hope his contribution helps as a contribution to the modeling process of SC2.

http://code.google.com/p/libm3/downloads/list

Reminder: The idea behind this is that you can start working on SC2 projects. you SHALL NOT import the models for:

• Passing them to wc3.
  • Share the models here. (for the time being).
  • Selling them.
  • Whatever you do that breaks an international law.

I'll be looking into the format specifications and check to see if I can come up with some handy tool by some time in the future.

As for now, discuss. (Please don't upload any .m3 files)

Level 11
Nice, I will check it, there already have been few projects like this, SC2 modding is more user friendly, and models and textures are not that unknown.
BTW check you email... There is some question about neodex I might posted it in your thread also...

Level 22
We need an exact equivalent of Magos War3 Model Editor - open M3, choose team color, particles. I noticed a lot of the things in SC2 even in the MPQ are a lot like war3, it is almost as if im browsing war3 except for I cant doubleclick DDS from Magos or open M3 also with a doubleclick. Let me remind that I am also for someone making a Milkshape exporter that suggests content FOR SC2 and not an importer that suggest stealing FROM.

It's the most simple model format. It only contains mesh and uv properties, no animations or such.

actually it's way more complex than .3ds it even supports IK. However, .m3 format has only been partially reversed engineered, we still don't know anything else about the format other than mesh.

TheTerran said:
We need an exact equivalent of Magos War3 Model Editor - open M3, choose team color, particles. I noticed a lot of the things in SC2 even in the MPQ are a lot like war3, it is almost as if im browsing war3 except for I cant doubleclick DDS from Magos or open M3 also with a doubleclick. Let me remind that I am also for someone making a Milkshape exporter that suggests content FOR SC2 and not an importer that suggest stealing FROM.

Milkshape is very outdated to actually be useful for SC2. An exporter for blender would be a WAY better idea.

I know it's old but what would possibly be the problem for it? It may serve my needs since I dont do complex animations and well models could be HQ enough made in this program.

I doubt that you could even animate with it. Atleast for SC2 min needs. Specially since milkshape does not support IK system and can barely do any complex controller.

At the very least, you'll be able to produce geometry with it.

Pharaoh_ said:
What about 3ds max?

Starcraft 2 models were produced with a recent version of 3ds max, so obviously Yes.

I hope we won't be locked for specific version of max >.<

well, I'm sorry to dissapoint you, but max plugins must be recompiled for each version.

As it looks, the 3dsmax version will be max 2008 or max 9.

The reason has to do with the compiler and the enviroment under which each SDK of 3dsmax runs. For blizzard, to update the compilation would mean updating their softwares and that would mean wasting unnecessary money.

Level 22
Heh I dont know about you but Ill stay with Milkshape. I can produce a model and texture it, thats good enough. Either basic animations will work or I'll end up using Galaxy's triggers to create great death animations for buildings. Because I only have buildings to make, now I can make them high quality to fit SC2 and they dont need much animation. If I ever do something that requires walking like moving legs arms etc, I'll request it. Im not much of a modeler, so I can do without max. That's for me and I'll look for someone to make an M3 export plugin for MS3D.

Isn't magos making like a new modellin' tool for sc2?

Really? Is he making a new model editor? That would be so cool

Status
Not open for further replies.