• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

I want to make a memorable contribution

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 15
Alright, so I was doing some thinking, and I started thinking about how I've been here for a while, and how I haven't really contributed anything.

So, I want to make a contribution, particularly to Wc3 modellers. I want to create a tool that would streamline the process of Wc3 modelling (and eventually SC2). A tool that would have a large majority of the features found in commercial tools, with features made exactly for Wc3 modellers.

Who's interested? I want to know if creating such a tool is worth it.

Level 19
I would like:
-basic geomerging
-bone adding and editing
-scratch modelling and editing
-particle emitter creator
-mpq extracter
-unwrapping, rewrapping etc
-what bloody_turds mentioned
-a changeable view of model (so u don't get stuck with just 3 set views like in vertexmodify)
-easy to understand basic tips and explanations of the tools avaible
-stuff to do decay anim fixes
-portrait generator (might be hard) had in mind something like u geomerge a model over some basic portrait anims and bones.
-camera adder
-basic bone sets
-converter (from mdx to mdl)
-working perfectly on Vista (this is a must, since vista using modellers often experiences problems with magos)
-more will come...

I know this list is long, but it's all my wishes for a ultimate modelling experience with only 1 tool.
I seriously want this, been thinking of requesting one just to start model better than my current tries (can't fix any anims since magos fucks up on Vista)
Plz make this and the Hive would be a better place because of u

most of that stuff war3modeleditor supports, although it would be extreemly usefull to be able to select verticies, in full out 3d, rather than a 2d view..

theportrait adder would be pretty cool, but its far easier to just add a camera to the model itself, than waste space on a portrait... although if it could copy the full animation, and assign it to new keys, so you can have multiple "similar" animations, but without starting from scratch

editing/moveing bones, in this 3d renderation would be extreemly nice, along with possible keyframe animations, similar to Warshape..

scratch meshing would be nice, asumeing its nice and simple to work with, although importation of other fileformats would be nice to

i deff cant stress tooltips on each feature enough...

Uv mapping on the model itself would be great

ability to speedup/slow down animations, or even parts of them

animation smoother, if possible (keeps the animations from being jerky, by adding extra keyframes, that slow down before a compleet stop, and speed up before moveing at full potential..

the vista part, isnt to hard to fix, as i got magos working fine on vista...

easy animation transfers, along with bone to bone matchup (rather than changeing the bone, any bone it cant identify, it will ask you, and show you a list of both models bones, to match the bones up manually

personally war3modeleditor(magos) is one of my favorite warcraft 3 modeling tools, and if it were to be updated with theese

war3modeleditors particle emitter part is slightly confuseing (even after quite alot of experience with it),

Level 25
We already have modeling tools for Wc3.
I think makeing 3D modeling program for Wc3 would be waste of time. You can download new 3Ds Max and use Blinkboys new script to export models for Wc3.
For SC2 you need to wait till Blizzard releases his modding pack...

Level 19
We already have modeling tools for Wc3.
I think makeing 3D modeling program for Wc3 would be waste of time. You can download new 3Ds Max and use Blinkboys new script to export models for Wc3.
For SC2 you need to wait till Blizzard releases his modding pack...

well, the point is to make the ultimate modelling tool with everything in it, instead of using 6 differnet programs for making a model.

and Vicboy, ty i'll try

Just make a tool which allows you to make models from scratch. Only Geometry, leave unwrapping and animation for later. For this tool you should make a lot of modeling utilities which are not supported by Vertex Modifier, lñike Weld to Target, Collapse, Weld near vertexes, cut, Chanfer, etc. I suggest you produce your own model format that supports quads and meshes at the sametime, it would make data manipulation easier. After that add exporters to wc3's mdl/mdx and SC2's (modeling format)

It's better to start with something basic than going to something complex. Also which programming language are you using and which rendering system?

Level 15
@Blinkboy, Of course, I wouldn't want to start off too big, I'll start with basic scratch modeling utilities, and expand from there. I'm going to program it in C++, and use Magos' MdxLib and MPQLib(I want to allow you to be able to extract models directly from the Wc3 MPQs without ever leaving the environment). As for the rendering system, I'm still undecided, I'm just brainstorming ideas for now. Would you have any suggestions?

Open GL for starters. Direct X is kinda complex to start with.

I would suggest you to start making the front/right/top viewports before going into perspective and don't rush yourself to implement texture rendering, you are making a model making tool, not a model viewer.

About the format which you must create: It must store data in an easy way to read, and it must be easy to modify as well.

Also, don't add the MPQ feuture, other tools already does that, focus only on your goal, afterwards add the add-ons.

Level 15
Open GL for starters. Direct X is kinda complex to start with.

I would suggest you to start making the front/right/top viewports before going into perspective and don't rush yourself to implement texture rendering, you are making a model making tool, not a model viewer.

About the format which you must create: It must store data in an easy way to read, and it must be easy to modify as well.

Also, don't add the MPQ feuture, other tools already does that, focus only on your goal, afterwards add the add-ons.

Well, i'm an experienced C++ programmer (3+ years), and i'm familiar with DirectX and OpenGL, so it will just be a matter of which ever one fits my needs better.

Thanks for your input, i appreciate.

Level 10
These are the things I think should not miss, since I'm a modeller:

-ALL basic tools, such as plane, box, geosphere, sphere and so on.
-Uv Mapping.
-Rotate, extrude and so on.
-IMPORTANT: Geomerging. This misses on Milkshape and I like to geomerge.
-Possibility to edit and create bones.
-Particle emitter editor/creator.
-Features of Magos and WC3 Viewer would be really awesome.
-Unwrapping and rewrapping <---- Pl0x!
-A 4th view of the model, like in Milkshape, where you can see how the model is.
-Easy to use, no complicate stuff.
-Possibility to add a camera in order to make a portrait.
-Chance to convert from Mdl to Mdx and viceversa.
-Vista compatible.
-Animation, texture, material controllers. And why not, an MPQ browser?

All these features looks important to me, and I would be really pleased if you could complete it.
My Milkshape trial is over and I'm good at making models :(

Good luck.

Level 15
Ok, I've started working on the basic framework of this system using C++ .NET framework. I'll start up an official thread sometime in the future.

Leeroy, all of that will be implemented eventually.

Note: Huge thanks to Magos for his MDXlib, and the source code for War3Modeleditor, it's going to save me many a headache.

Level 22
-magos has this problem - the model editor part where you are supposed to be able to change vertex positions and struff like that is always grey, I can't use that option. An option that would allow you to do it wil be great
- to be able to extract animations and import them in milkshape or other modeling progr. If I want to import a model I have in MDX I always lose the animations

Level 15
I haven't been working on this project as much as i would like to be, other, more important obligations have been eating up my time (look at sig, you try doing all that crap :p).

I am not stopping this project on hold, or abandoning it, i'm just saying that it is a lower priority at the moment.

Level 26
I haven't been working on this project as much as i would like to be, other, more important obligations have been eating up my time (look at sig, you try doing all that crap :p).

I am not stopping this project on hold, or abandoning it, i'm just saying that it is a lower priority at the moment.

If you're reaaaally desperate, I think Guesst was working on a WC3 only model editor something like what you're aspiring to. You might be able to use the stuff he began on? 'twould slash a load of work.

Level 15
If you're reaaaally desperate, I think Guesst was working on a WC3 only model editor something like what you're aspiring to. You might be able to use the stuff he began on? 'twould slash a load of work.

I know for a fact that Magos was working on a new Wc3 model editor, but eventually lost interest and dumped it, perhaps i could ask him for that stuff.

I'm already using some of the source code from the Wc3ModelEditor by Magos, but i'll ask Guesst about that, thanks for the info.

Status
Not open for further replies.