• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Help understanding Sc2 .m3 file

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello fellows from THW. Long time no see. I come to you all seeking help on understanding the sc2 model file. If I can understand it, maybe I can make a plugin that exports it to X3D format (a standard for models) and thus every modelling program like Blender and x3vision will be able to use it and to model for Sc2. Further more, because X3D is a free standard, you will be able to import all types of models, no matter from what game into Sc2.

Over my research I found this link:
http://code.google.com/p/libm3/w/list

But it offers little information and I am not sure if it is abandoned, or maybe it's just because I am a newb... I never modelled before in my life, so I will be most happy to see if someone can help me.

Thanks in advance, Flame_Phoenix.

Level 3
I am interested in Blender part. I reread your post and it seems you are looking ways to export from open source (free) modeling software into SC2? Maybe (maybe) it is right time to hop on SC2 scene for me. I could learn by writing exporter for SC2 things which help me to further improve exporter for wc3.
I have seen SC2 viewer on net, dude who made it sure knows ins and outs of SC2 file format.
I would like to learn also from your discoveries (or even help you)? Though my time is limited (rl work takes most of it).
I know: bit of Python, bit of Blender API, basics of modeling (little animating too). I hope theHive gurus reply also.

EDIT: He could know too (maybe contact?): http://www.thehelper.net/forums/sho...ort-export-feature-list?highlight=file+format
EDIT2: I checked that m3 google code page and first google search results. Actuallly much has been done already for exporting/ importing to any modeling software (mostly x.obj format). They got some skillz, good skills. I think Blender can handle x.obj files (they got exporter for it I think).

Last edited:
Well, to be honest, I think I have failed. There is little to no information about the Sc2 .m3 file. Everything that we know is on this thread:
http://forums.sc2mapster.com/development/artist-tavern/23055-help-understanding-sc2-m3-file/#p15

The link to the libm3 project I gave was abandoned years ago leaving nothing but old chunks of code that are simply not enough.

Basically, we have a plugin that allows us to see the information of each model organized by C structures. However, that information seems to be rather overwhelming. So far I am alone on this and I know no one who can help me.
I also know a little bit of python and learning the Blender API would not be a problem, but it's just not enough. I will be most glad to accept any help you or anyone else may want to give me.

I thank you for the link, I shall see it at once.
In sc2mapster they say that the obj format is nothing compared to the .m3 format because the .m3 format is binary and dynamic at the same time.

I believe my e-mail is on my profile, if you are still interested, please add me.

EDIT:
I replied to the post you suggested. I doubt I will have any luck, but it sure doesn't harm trying :D

Last edited:
Level 3
Reading TH post it seems you know tons of coding. I , myself, am limited to some free time (rl full time job which is pain in the ass, security worker, takes it all >>). I look into this topic more when I have free days off work (they come soon).
The russians at @ (or something) have working m3 viewer (if they manage to render tm3 files it should be possible to make it work in Blender too). Or they somehow are like script kiddies using SC2 files to directly do the rendering whithout knowing how it is exactly is done?

EDIT2:
I have not tried binary myself too (I got taught binary [and asm (asembly)] bit in polytechnic school, I learn to become electrician, we got pro university degree teacher).

EDIT3: Exporter is not done yet because nobody has time to work on it I guess (all who know how to do it, work already full time for big companies). If I with my limited self taught knowledge was able to make warcraft 3 exporter for Blender I think SC2 is possible too.

To start:
Hex editor (reader), test m3 file (something really simple, rat, cube, etc). As a starting step we should try to get one m3 imported into Blender (do you have any file to start our reaserch on?). I got SC2 WoL demo installed (I could get my files from there?).

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 3
Oeh Noez! :D Can ya send be the cube m3 file? I got free days from work, going to look into this m3 scene. Plane (or triangle) would be even better m3 file.

EDIT: I found from sc2mapster cube.m3 file link.

Status
Not open for further replies.