1. Head to the 33rd Modeling Contest Poll and drink to your heart's desire.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Choose your means of doom in the 17th Mini Mapping Contest Poll.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. A slave to two rhythms, the 22nd Terraining Contest is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The heavens smile on the old faithful. The 16th Techtree Contest has begun.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The die is cast - the 6th Melee Mapping Contest results have been announced. Onward to the Hive Cup!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The glory of the 20th Icon Contest is yours for the taking!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Blizzard's Bugged Resources

Discussion in 'Modeling & Animation' started by Ujimasa Hojo, Jul 12, 2013.

1. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Someone linked me the old beta so I still have it on my hard disk. However it seems they changes a lot of file formats between the beta and the final version of WC3 so all blps fail to load.

Anyway the beta already had the current Dreadlord and Deathknight model.

Most buildings like the necropolis give a ribbon emitter fatal error when trying to be viewed.

2. NhazUl

NhazUl

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I have the beta archives, installers, patches and all (Hallfiry gave it to me, so better ask him for it), but I don't know how to upload it here. About the textures, they are in .blp0 format. It needs .bxx files (b01 to b09) which contain mipmaps, to display correctly. This tool converts the .blp0 to .blp1, which is the format the retail Warcraft 3 uses. Just unpack it, extract the .blp0 and the .bxx files into its folder, and drag&drop the .blp0 onto the application.

Attached Files:

3. Anvil

Anvil

Resources:
    Models:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    About blp0to1 convertor, sadly is not finished. It was made from a reference of a button icon file. If you convert a texture with it, it will break all the mipmaps. Anyway, can be fixed if you save the texture again with Blp Lab. Converting a Blp that uses palettes will end with a image broken and you can't fix it. In war3Beta.mpq, almost all textures inside UI folder uses palettes.

4. NhazUl

NhazUl

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Strange, it works fine for me.

5. BlinkBoy

BlinkBoy

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Tools:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    If you are using Mago's model editor to view them. Let me tell you, that mago's does not cover the 100% of the mdx format. I suggest you use Guesst's MDLx converter (version 1.04) and try it with it.

I'm also quite interested in Beta Models since there's a type of mdx object which I know exists but I don't know it's format, the name is Sound emitter. they appear to be used before event objects, but they could be useful for standalone models for which you want custom sounds.

Would be nice if you guys sent me the models which you can't open with any existing editors.

6. Edge45

Edge45

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Found something to Forest Troll Trapper as well as the other troll trappers(maybe)
    An "oldspell - Berserk"
    And in CoN, the orc forge is the perfect model for the icon War Mill(ReplaceableTextures/Commandbuttons/Forge) since the icon has no saw
    and the War Mill model in war3 has saw that does'nt correspond to the icon.

Why didn't you put it in the 1st page
    Sir Ultimata

7. NelsonLaJe

NelsonLaJe

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    what it takes to recover these icons and models of beta. alpha, of older versions of warcraft 3?

8. General Frank

General Frank

3D Modeling Moderator

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
  9. NelsonLaJe

NelsonLaJe

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    are missing, three textures

no?

10. NelsonLaJe

NelsonLaJe

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
  11. Edge45

Edge45

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Blizzard has another wrong makings
    the is in txt and read it

The kobold icon is made by Ultimata for the correct icon of the Kobold warriors
    (Copied and put a border using Button Manager)

Attached Files:

12. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    So there's lots of files and resources that were lost... What about ideas?

Does anyone remember/know what the old Beta Night Elf Archdruid had as his abilities? All I've been able to uncover was a "Force of Nature" ultimate which turned him into a raging conglomerate forest-monster (-> the Owlbear), and something called "Spore Cloud".

13. General Frank

General Frank

3D Modeling Moderator

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
  14. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I have seen, and dearly love Rommel's ArchDruid; I hope I can find a place for it, in fact. :p However, I was looking not for resources (i.e. models), but ideas and abilities; his original skillset.

Your link provides one ("Force of Nature")... But it's one I also stated. I'm curious if anyone knows any others.

//EDIT// Did some research; this thread was purporting to re-create Alpha & Beta information in a mod. Their version of the Arch-Druid:
    So it looks like Sleep (from the Dreadlord, I assume), and Preservation (again, assuming that's like the in-game "Preservation" that Mal'Ganis uses to seal away Zombie Villagers into Nowhere Land). Interesting?

15. General Frank

General Frank

3D Modeling Moderator

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Oh, I am sorry.
    But yeah I read some of those old articles on wc3c too. A damn shame none looked into it more than 10 years...

16. Hallfiry

Hallfiry

Resources:
    Resources:
    Nice try they did there 10 years ago. But sadly it's very incomplete. For example the Undead are missing their Abomination hero (But I guess it's not really worth complaining about such old projects that didn't have the amount of sources that we have today).

Do we need a complete list of units, abilites, buildings, upgrades and maps, each with a date range of usage? I'm willing to create such a thing, but I'll need help (I'll provide the sources, but I can't invest weeks in that project, so I wanna split the work).
    I already have:
    -65 RoC development related videos
    -More than 100 magazine articles from 1997 to 2003 (RoC announcement was 1999), about RoC and TFT development
    -13 of 15 RoC beta builds
    -All 20 TFT beta builds
    -A lot of my own research
    -A dated and categorized list of RoC alpha screenshots
    -A variety of additional things like merchandise, a press kit, trade show photos, fansite chat transcripts, etc...

We only need to look through that stuff and gather all the information.

17. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    As an avid fan of Beta & Alpha info, and a self-ascribed historian/organizer (see sig), I can't tell you how tempting that is... But no, I know when I'm biting off more than I can chew. :< I just literally have too much to do of my own to offer help in such a grand endeavor, great & useful though it might be. Good luck if you do.

While I may not be able to help, have you considered uploading it in some way, just the way it is (i.e. "raw text")? If I could just sit and "Search" in a word processor for certain key phrases (like in this case, "archdruid"), that would probably be helpful.

18. Hallfiry

Hallfiry

Resources:
    Resources:
    There is no "raw text". The articles are in many languages (English, German, Spanish, French, Polish, Russian, etc.) and most of them are scans (luckily I'm good at languages). Namings are inconsistent or things are not mentioned with any name at all. You also can't text-search through the screenshots and videos. Finding stuff in the beta versions doesn't require an index of any special kind, since most interesting files are already plain text.

This research has to be done manually.

19. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Eesh, that's what I was afraid of. :<

Well, like I said, good luck. Out of curiosity (on the topic of the NE Archdruid abilities), do you mind throwing up some of the RoC/TFT Beta builds for the Night Elves? I can do a quick search through those.

20. Hallfiry

Hallfiry

Resources:
    Resources:

PM sent.

"Quickly".... you'll need hours or even days.