• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Bionicle - Mask Quest v0.73

Six months in development, with scratch-built models, animations, scripts, and so on and so on.
This is a 3D Action game with DarkSouls3-inspired combat design based around the "Bionicle" Lego theme(specifically from 2001). The art design was heavily inspired by Templar Studios' Flash games for Bionicle.
Up to six players with both PVP and PVE modes!

! Fixed a desync issue
! Fixed players not seeing their current selected Toa/Mask's text...By removing all of it and replacing it with static images.
___Is that absurd? Yes. Shut up, it works. That is a load-bearing bandaid, do not peel it off.
+ Fixed the tutorial being inconsistent if more than one player is doing it at once.
+ Added some measure of Z-scaling to the Lock-on camera mode to deal with people jumping around constantly.
+ Decreased map size from 61mb to 45mb.
~ Added slightly more launch to Tahu&Kopaka's 2S moves.
~ Adding MORe failsafes to Jump so that it can secretly correct some bugs that (on paper aren't possible) may happen because this is WC3.
- Cannot fix the map for Reforged, because I don't have reforged. No, I don't care if you do. Good luck.
~ Fikou HP tripled so they don't instantly die in survival.
~ Survival now auto-kills non-user Toa every round so that rahi always target YOU.
+ Survival waves changed to ALMOST be functional if you are playing alone:
Wave 1 : Spawns a single fikou spider.
Wave 2 : Spawns a single hoto bug.
Wave 3 : Spawns a Mahi goat.
Wave 4 : Spawns a Nui-Jaga.
Wave 5 : Spawns two Nui-Jaga.

Waves 6~15 were not changed and will break the framerate very quickly.
However, this may give a GLIMPSE of if you would enjoy fighting Rahi. But the answer is 90% "No".

+ Lock-on While Akaku is activated will not target Kakama Afterimages.
+ Improved startup loading time.
~ Fixed desync issue.
~ Fixed lockon breaking from rolls.
~ Changed my mind on Lock-on. It's no longer visible that you are BEING locked on by another player.
~ Fixed Kaukau mask not changing to the correct player color.
~ Fixed players not displaying the character/mask description text.
~ Doubled juggle strength of all moves.
~ Disabled Rahi in adventure mode. They can be re-enabled by player 1 typing "-rahi". Not recommended, game becomes unplayable after about 10 minutes of rahi.

Major issue : Floating Text explaining the toa&the masks may or may not appear on the mask select screen for players.
This also may or may not be fixed by dying.
This may be tied to the first player to complete the tutorial sequence and/or hit ESC. THEY will likely see the text correctly.
I have no idea what causes this bug or how to fix it. Other player's floating text is visible to incorrect players and floating in the bottom left of the screen.

Fixing this appears impossible and requires replacing all floating text with static images which I don't feel like making today.
Complete overhaul and rebuild of major parts of the engine.
! = Major
+ = Minor
~ = Fix

! Arena mode added, now the default mode because Adventure was TRASH.
! Complete engine overhaul boosted gamespeed by 40%, smoothed out controls, and made the game...not boring.
! So many bug fixes and error corrections and gameplay breaks fixed and OTHER TRASH that I'm just putting a blanket right here.
___If it didn't work before, it probably does now. Except Survival, because shut up.
! Collision fleshed out and BASICALLY "added" compared to v0.5's barely functional prototype collision.
! Tahu received a complete rework on his movelist. Gaining Dash-AA(2nd hit for Dash-A), 8S(Knockback), 8D(3wave projectile), new [SS]"Megaflare" move(charged unblockable), and [2S]Launcher+Autojump move, and a new [Air-S] downward meteor slash back to the ground.
! Major UI overhaul to remove most of the WC3 UI and add custom made(hi, me, I made them) health/stamina/mask energy bars and floating buttons to show you the controls.
___Special thanks to UI_Utils for providing the groundwork on disabling the default WC3 ui, very helpful. Finally a part of the map I didn't make from scratch.
! Added a music player for Arena using F1~F5. 9 songs to cycle through, a 10th plays automatically when the game is down to only 4 kills left. You can shuffle or loop1.
! Character #2 - Kopaka added. Yes, an entire character. 20+ new moves NOT shared with Tahu...Stole Tahu's removed old [SS] stab combo for Kopaka's [AA].
! Added [W]Grind. You can press [W] when knocked back to grind your hand into the ground and reduce your knockback(costs HP&stamina). Saves you from acid/thecliff.
___Also looks anime as hell.
! New interactive intro cinematic tutorial for ALL modes that forces you to LEARN THE CONTROLS. Can be skipped with ESC key.
! Complete ground-up rehaul to Akaku(X-ray). It might as well be a new mask. Sees through walls & ice, sees Invisible(Huna), Sees weakpoints(cause damage&stun), lets you lockon invis units, bakes you a cake, points to other players/enemies/masks/your shrine in adventure mode, tells you you're pretty, makes a swishy camera zoom sound when you activate it.
! Masks "Huna"(Invisibility) and "Rau"(Translation) added to Arena.
+ New mode selection screen.
+ Added player commands for Arena : -fix (debugs), -color(change your toa's color to 1~25), -ui (removes ASDF ui buttons).
+ Added -floor command. This adds the wc3 default floor texture to arena. This is not recommended and lowers the framerate. And looks ugly.
+ Replaced all wc3 baked assets like rocks/ice/etc with more stylized ones so they DON'T BREAK IN REFORGED MODE(which I still don't have). Also lego palm trees.
+ Added [V] Taunt button. Does nothing, lowers your grapple tier while active, meaning players can run up and grab you without Pakari(Strength).
~ Fused [X]Dodgeroll and [Z]Guard into [X]Guard/Dodgeroll. No arrows? Guard/parry. Arrows? Roll baby.
~ Moved Lockon from F1(stupid) to Z. Moves Target cycle(random) from F2(stupid) to Q/R(which weren't used in lock-on mode anyways).
~ Q/R now cycles to the LEFT/RIGHT of the target, instead of just picking a 100% random other target to lock onto.
~ Stamina regen boosted.
~ Stamina costs of all moves standardized. [A] moves cost 5, 4 if they're combo moves like AA/AAA/DashAA/SSA/etc. {A} moves & [8A]/[2A] cost 10, 8 if they're a combo move like Kopaka SS/SSS or Tahu AAS. [D] cost 10stam per second, [2D]&[8D] cost 15, [F]/[8F]/[2F]costs 20/15/10. Stamina costs are static and same for all characters. You can now guage how much stamina you'll have at any time with just instinct.
~ A host of other things I forgot while making this for the last 50 days.
Map released. It's bad.

Some details on the map:
Model credits:
I'd like to give a special thanks to someone very special for doing what I asked them to and creating 3D bionicle models based on the "Mata-Nui : Online Game" flash game from 2001 for a more simple artstyle rather than the actual toys or various game adaptions that look terrible.
This person is also the one who did the vertex shading on them. And they even animated all 60+ animations for Tahu, 60+ animations for Kopaka, and a few dozen animations on all the rocks/trees/ice/boulders/masks/Nui-jaga/Fikou/Mahi(unused)/Manas crab(unused)/Matoran(49 animations).
I forgot to thank this person when I released v0.5 and I'm sorry for that.
She managed to create all this in the time I needed, and she didn't even charge me anything for it.
She did it for free.
She did it for me.
SHE DID BECAUSE SHE'S ME.
I DID IT. ALL ME. ONLY ME. THERE'S YOUR CREDITS.
M I N E.
DAMN, I'M GOOD.

Scripts, code, genius, textures, testing, environment, effects, literally everything else:
Me. I dun it. Myself did all of it.
Shut up.

All sounds&music ripped from various bionicle games by me for v0.5
...Special thanks to BioMediaProject which I promptly used to REPLACE all my rips with higher quality ones for v0.7
Including the new music selections.

(Also thanks to Kazeon for making UI_Utils, which I used to disable Warcraft3's default UI and replace it with my own.
Hey look at that, unlike v0.5 I have someone to thank other than myself)
Movement Controls:
Arrows = move forward/back/strafe left/strafe right.
___Doubletapping Forward causes you to run.
Q/R : Hold to Rotate camera left/right.
Z : Lock-on to a random enemy in front of you.
Q/R(Lock-on) : Cycles to a random enemy other than your current lock-on target.
E : Activate Mask Power
X : Block(covers 180 degrees in front of you, 240 during mask of shielding)
X+Arrows : Dodgeroll
C : Jump
V : Taunt

F1~F5 : Music Player (9 bionicle tracks to cycle through, and a 10th during the final 4 kills of the match).
F1/F2 : Previous/Next song
F3 : Shuffle ON/OFF
F4 : Loop1 ON/OFF
F5 : Stop

Combat Controls:
W : Grab. There are two grabs. Small grab applies to creatures smaller than you and players that are stunned/guarding/taunting/using mask powers. Large grab applies to everything else and requires mask of Strength turned on(E).
A : Light attack. Fast melee attack combos. combine with arrows for alternate moves:
S : Heavy attack. Slower, more precise, powerful strikes with more damage/knockback/flinch/armor.
D : Elemental projectiles. Fires out 8 bolts of flame per second, cannot flinch but does excellent DPS if sustained. Gives a free Flame Charge every 2 seconds while held down.
F : Heavy Elemental moves.

Check quests in-game for character-specific combos&moves.

Something important about the combat system is the "Flinching" state. Being hit by an attack will flinch you out of your current action IF it does enough flinch damage.
- Every attack includes "Flinch Armor" and deals "Flinch Damage". If you take "Flinch Damage" greater than this Armor, you are flinched. Heavy attacks both have more armor and deal more flinch damage.
- Armor is set with each ATTEMPTED attack you make, and will not recover from other moves decreasing it. In other words, if two players hit you during your attack then your armor is decreased by BOTH of their moves flinch damage.
Each player starts the game with 1 mask(based on player color). You gain more masks depending on the game mode.
You can swap any time between any masks accquired using either TYGHBN or NUMPAD784512, but the animation takes 2 seconds to perform.

The masks grant the following ability while activated with the (V) key:
Mask of Shielding
+ You automatically are always guarding, even while flinched. Your guard radius is extended to 240 degrees around you. It does not cover behind you.
+ You can bounce on lava/acid
+ Automatically blocks and REFLECTS projectiles. Flinches attackers who hit your shield.
Mask of Breathing
+ Your stamina is infinite, however it reverts to what you had before activating the mask after.
+ You can move in water without losing stamina or health.
+ You are immune to Nui-Jaga's vision-debuffing Venom and remove it when the mask is activated.
Mask of Levitation
+ You can levitate around while in the air. You can use ground actions while in the air.
+ When activated, you immediately cancel any vertical or horizontal knockback you are taking. Including throws.
Mask of Strength
+ Your melee damage is increased by 50%.
+ You can now grab Tier4 enemies(Player Characters, Nui-Jaga scorpions, and large Boulders).
Mask of X-ray Vision
+ You can see through Rocks&walls containing hidden objects and fake walls. Only works on your screen.
+ (Adventure only) Arrows spawn around you to track the location of nearby players(red), rahi(purple), and your Toa's shrine(teal).
+ All nearby enemies gain "Weakpoints". If anything hits this weakpoint's hitbox before it hits the enemies, the target takes double damage and may be stunned. Visible to all players.
Mask of Speed
+ Your walk/runspeed increases to 200%.
+ You attack 20% faster, but all flinch damage is reduced by 1.
+ You can run on specific walls.
+ Creates brief afterimages for all your actions. These can be targeted by lock-on from careless players.
(Arena) Huna - Mask of Concealment
+ Become invisible to all other players. Invisibility remains while attacking, the mask is deactivated upon being flinched or dodge rolling.
- Max HP -20%.
(Arena) Rau - Mask of Translation
+ (Activated) Nui jaga randomly shoot venom at all non-Rau mask wearers, blinding them temporarily and dealing damage.
+ (Passive) The killfeed shows the dying player's Healing score and the killing player's Damage score to you.
+ Max HP +20%
The new default mode.

Step 1 - Pick a character (Tahu or Kopaka)/(UngaBunga or Zoner)
Step 2 - Pick a mask (8 available, varying degrees of "people want to murder you IRL for picking that one")
Step 3 - K I L L
Step 4 - Die
Step 5 - Return to step 1.

Game End:
Game ends once players die a total of ((# of Players-1)x5) or rather 10~25 times.
(Bonus) : If you set all 5 player slots to CPUs, you can practice solo on them. They won't move and won't respawn.

Once the deathcount is reached, the game enters the Victory Calculation screen. Ranking all six players by their Kills, Deaths, Damage, and Healing scores.
(Damage is the damage dealt to other players, including overkill damage. Healing is HP you regained from fruit/golden masks/kills, does not include overheal.)
(Whenever a player dies, all other players heal 5% of their max HP. 10% if they were the killer.)
(All healing is % based, which means Huna receives 20% less score and Rau receives 20% more score than other masks.)

For each category, you receive your placing as points. 1st place in kills = 6 points. 3rd place = 4 points. 6th place = 1 point.
After all 4 categories are shown, players are displayed according to their total points ranking(min6, max24). The player with the most total points in all four categories will be the winner shown emerging out of the Toa Shrine.

NOTE : This means the player with the most kills or most deaths may not be 1st place or 6th place in the final rankings. A player killstealing that never dies or takes damage has a very small damage score and a 0 healing score.
A player that gets no kills BECAUSE all their kills get stolen may still come in 1st if they're dealing the most damage to everyone and not dying too much.

During the match, you can only see a player's STATUS(alive/under 60% hp/dead) and their KILLS. You cannot see damage&healing scores except by wearing Rau(activated or not) when they die(reveals healing) or kill(reveals damage).
You cannot see deaths by any method until the calculation screen.

* I have hidden damage/healing/deaths from the scoreboard because it promotes bullying the weaker players, which makes them less likely to enjoy playing the map.
Kills remains on the board because it's less clear WHY someone has the least kills, especially if someone else is killstealing. And people are more included to go after the player with the most kills than the least.
This is also why the scoring system is the way it is. Most of the time, the person in 6th place will have 8~10 pts, not 6. The player in 1st will have 15~18pts, not 24. This makes it seem like you weren't THAT much worse than the best player. Maybe you could come in 3rd next game? I mean 3rd only has 12 points, you can get TWO MORE points, right?

Arena Hazards:
A. Green "Vautu Fruit" float around the arena, spawning every half minute. Walk over one to regain 20% of your lost health.
B. Golden Masks float around the arena, spawning every 2 minutes. Fully heal your HP, Stamina, and Mask Energy and give you 5 seconds of invulnerability.
*If you are using Huna or Rau, you do not gain the invulnerability.
C. In the center of the arena is an acid pit that deals massive damage every second. Knock people into it, and jump out of it as soon as you're in.
D. The edges of the arena are stone walls, which can be jumped over. This is an effective player to hide unless another player is using Akaku(X-ray), but you cannot do anything from behind the wall can CAN be hit by certain moves.
E. At the end of the arena(visible as you spawn) is a row of destructible Lego Palm trees. The arena beyond them is an instant-death pit. Be mindful near it.
F. On the rightside wall of the arena is the Onu-Koro lift. Walk up and [W]Grab the lever to drop down 4 rocks once every minute.
These rocks, much like Kopaka's [8D] ice chunks, can be lifted and thrown using Pakari(Strength)'s enhanced [W]Grab. Rocks deal more damage than Ice chunks. They can also block projectiles and be destroyed by melee attacks.
G. On the walls of the arena are four hidden Nui-Jaga scorpions. If a Rau(Translation) player activates their mask, the four Nui-Jaga are revealed and shoot venom at random non-Rau players.
In FFA, all masks will spawn(in a sequence, starting with a random mask) all over the island.
Masks spawn with a 20 second countdown timer as they manifest, after which they are obtainable by any player.
- When you die, you respawn with full HP at your shrine. Unlessssss...

The goal is to obtain all 6 masks, then interact with your Toa's Shrine to obtain your Golden Mask.
- Your Golden Masks gives you instant mask-swapping, longer mask durations, increased elemental damage, aaaaand...
- Players killed by a Golden Mask user permanently die and do not respawn. Be the last player alive to win the game!

This is the outdated previous default mode of v0.5
It is terrible, but remains functional.
Most combat is pointless unless you're trying to prevent someone from getting a mask.

Players 1~3 receive Tahu, players 4~6 receive Kopaka. Their default masks depend on their player number. Shielding/Breathing/Levitation/Strength/Xray/Speed.
Yes, that's stupid. I don't care, don't play the mode.
All 6 players must work together as a team to survive waves of enemy Rahi. Spend gold on upgrades(Unlike FFA, upgrades go up to 40% here).

- If you die, you respawn when the round is cleared by the other players. If all six players are dead, the game is over.
- You can spend gold at your shrine to instantly resurrect all dead players with full heal. This does not heal players still alive. Each player can only use this once per 5 waves and it costs gold.
- Every 5 waves is a BOSS round. Once the boss is defeated, 6 Masks will spawn for each player to take 1 from(the game prevents more than 1 pickup).

This mode is currently non-functional and destroys the framerate. There are no plans to fix the mode, as there are no enemies worth fighting at this time.
The only rahi are Fikou, Hoto, Mahi(Unanimated), and Nui-jaga. Only the jaga is any fun to fight against.
~3v3 match~
Arena, but players are sorted (by vote or random) onto two teams. Their Toa are re-colored to either Teal or Purple(the pre-bionicle lego technic primary colors), and they cannot hurt each other with melee attacks. They do not get damage score or kills from hitting allies with elemental attacks.
The score is calculated using all 3 teammates scores combined.

Nearly implemented in this version, it was a bit too much work and would have required a test group to ensure it works correctly. Too much could go wrong, so it was shelved.

~ALL Masks mode~
Arena, but all players always have all six Masks of Power or all six Noble masks. Can be combined with 3v3 mode.
This mode requires finishing the remaining 4 noble masks before implementing. removing mask choice kills part of the fun of arena.

~Random Map Arena~
Changes to one of 4 maps every 2 minutes in arena. This was prototyped and tested to be perfectly functional, the actual arenas were the problem.
A snowy mountain broke the camera.
The jungle required the platforming to be fully functional, which would take a week to get down perfect.
The lava cave was...boring.

Instead I improved the default arena, added the acid pit and trees and cliff and the falling rocks lever.
I wanted to take a moment to talk about the actual core systems that make all this possible. A little bragging, but...might as well.

The point of the engine is to get a careful and SKILLFUL action system where the better PLAYER wins. This is due to a heavy influence of Dark Souls 3.
Because of this you are NEVER without SOME option to deal with something. Everything has a cost and downside to using, everything has a way to counteract it. Every aspect of the game was designed with this heavily in mind.
#1. Survival
This mode has gone from "Kinda boring, not worth playing" to "avoid, don't even touch. FPS goes to zero after round 5".
I warned you, game warned you, don't play it.
#2. "HOW DO I PLAY THIS GAME!?"
There's a tutorial. Don't skip it. Press the buttons on the screen. Shut up.
#3. "I found a bug in Adventure/Survival!"
I don't care. Play arena.
#4. "I found a bug in Arena!"
I slightly care. Post it in the discord and I'll consider fixing it.
#5. "When's the next update!?"
No.

This is the second public release after v0.5
Yes, I skipped v0.6 , Shut up.
Previews
Contents

Bionicle - Mask Arena v0.73 (Map)

Reviews
deepstrasz
Retried it. It seems to have been updated quite nicely. Some might find the battle system a bit awkward but it's OK generally. Approved.
Level 2
The models looks like a 5 yr old's wrk, a lot of bugs and the map requires Reforged to play lol. Needs a lot of work. 1/5.

Art 1/5 for low poly mdls not for for today, Gameplay 2/5 (ARPG gameplay but better maps are available)
, PR 1.5/5 (The map descriptino on THW needs a lot of improvement, look at Shadows of Hatred cam[aign fr exmaple)

Total 1.45/5 = 1 star.

Level 17
The models looks like a 5 yr old's wrk
The models are actually pretty decent and resemble the lego style good enough. This comment is just unnecessary and insulting
and the map requires Reforged to play lol
Poor argument
PR 1.5/5 (The map descriptino on THW needs a lot of improvement, look at Shadows of Hatred cam[aign fr exmaple)
There are better ones out there for sure, but this one includes a decent video, which most descriptions dont have.

I'd give your review a 1/5

About the game: I love the concept, there hasnt been any bionicle style games for warcraft i think. I collected those as a kid, so it is very nostalgic for me^^
Gameplay is a bit clunky, as you would expect from a 3rd person wc3 game. Warcraft is just not meant to be played this way.
However, i still enjoyed the game!

Level 2
The models are actually pretty decent and resemble the lego style good enough. This comment is just unnecessary and insulting

Poor argument

There are better ones out there for sure, but this one includes a decent video, which most descriptions dont have.

I'd give your review a 1/5

About the game: I love the concept, there hasnt been any bionicle style games for warcraft i think. I collected those as a kid, so it is very nostalgic for me^^
Gameplay is a bit clunky, as you would expect from a 3rd person wc3 game. Warcraft is just not meant to be played this way.
However, i still enjoyed the game!

The models are just bad for 2020 even for wc3. I know a lot of maps with better models that have more detail.
The video is not 'decent'. It needs better editing and music and its very short.

Level 5
the map requires Reforged to play lol.
No, it doesn't.
Just...No, it doesn't.
I don't even own reforged. None of the people in my discord do either.
You're just wrong.
The video is even showing classic mode's graphics. What are you talking about?

That I'd actually like to hear more about. I don't believe the engine can't be improved further, it's just that I've no clue what needs improving.
I don't think there's a problem I can't solve, I just don't know what problems there are.

Last edited:
Level 5
Right now it looks like 1/5 was given for taste->not liking the models.
Listen, he's just really upset about the 5yr that showed him up in kindergarden.
That being said, literally every single thing in the map was made in six months...Like in total. Like all 50 parts used in all the models were built, 50+ player animations, 30+ enemy animations, all of the terrain and scripts...all of it was within the same six months.
That's including the scrapped and broken content like the giant crab that got corrupted while animating, the original music system that swapped to combat music for each individual player, certain physics mechanics, etc.

I figured, if the gameplay itself was fun, then I could come back and spend time improving the visual quality. But if the game plays like trash or people just don't want to play it, then that's that and I don't spend more time than I needed.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
I figured, if the gameplay itself was fun, then I could come back and spend time improving the visual quality. But if the game plays like trash or people just don't want to play it, then that's that and I don't spend more time than I needed.
Don't get a heavy heart because of some random losers who never achieved anything in their life.

Level 17
Its obvious who is the loser:
The user ratings of EpicWar are meaningless and have no authenticity whatsoever, just like your reviews.
Your comment is, again, very inappropriate, and it is a shame that user ratings go down because of you being salty, just because you got criticised.
The real loser is the one that is supposedly 29 and acts like a "5 yr old".

Level 50
The user ratings of EpicWar are meaningless and have no authenticity whatsoever, just like your reviews.
Your comment is, again, very inappropriate, and it is a shame that user ratings go down because of you being salty, just because you got criticised.
The real loser is the one that is supposedly 29 and acts like a "5 yr old".
The guy clearly looks for attention. It's obvious he's not anything close to 29 old.

Level 2
I try my best to be positiv. If you look at my previous posts you will see how i mostly give 5/4 stars to maps.
And its not possible to vote for a map for than one time on epic war so how ratings meaningless? Please tell me, i am interested

Level 5
Its obvious who is the loser:
So bad user ratings invalidate what he said?
ratingsgoaway.png
The ratings mean nothing.
You put less effort into being positive than I put into modeling for this map. And most of those models were made in an hour.

Weren't you saying something about how this map needs Reforged to be playable? What happened to that [blunt lie]?
You wanna be positive with critique? Point out something wrong with the map's [gameplay] that can be demonstrated. If you can find an issue with the gameplay and demonstrate it, then that flaw can be fixed. That would be positive.

Level 2
Hi there, I know someone else who did not like your map and also wanted to give a negative review but I stopped him cz I did not wanted your map's ratings to go down.
If you want me to review again then update the map based on my constructive feedback and I will improve my rating. Cheers

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Would appreciate a credits list with names of those who made the models, skins, sounds, whatnot.

1. There are issues with selecting other stuff in the beginning and after when the robot is being built that you can't change game modes anymore.
  2. The hero is facing south of the screen for some reason even during battle.
  3. Seems there are zones that have no visible terrain and you can move on them. anima.png
  4. You get stuck after attack-moving into enemies. Got stuck in the big scorpion, tried jump, roll but nothing. anima.png
Other than that, the map is pretty neat.

Awaiting Update.

If you want more reviews, you should participate in the The Grand Review Exchange!

R U L E S

Site Rules
Map Submission Rules

M A P - D E S C R I P T I O N
BB CODES
BB Codes | HIVE

MELEE MAPS
Description Guide - Melee Maps
Describing Your Melee Map
Melee Map Description Generator v1.3

MAPS IN GENERAL
The importance of a Description
Description Guide - Maps
Map Thread Guide
Map Description Making: Good & Bad
Map Description - Templates
Map Description Generator [1.2]

How to Add a Screenshot to your Map Description

ADDITIONAL NECESSARY INFORMATION
  • A credits list in the map thread description is required where the names of the resource (models, skins, icons, spells, sound etc.) authors are mentioned along with the specific resource. It would be a luxury to have links leading to the used resources. Credits in the Quest Log would be appreciated too.
  • A detailed changelog in the first post would be helpful to reviewers and notify fans about the newest implementations to your map.
  • Map thread tags are important. Please use those that fit and not more or none.

If you're not satisfied with the review and wish another opinion, contact the other reviewers or use the staff contact:
Shar Dundred
Paillan
Alexen
eubz
https://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/staff-contact.692/

Level 5
Would appreciate a credits list with names of those who made the models, skins, sounds, whatnot.
Oh yeah no problem. Went ahead and added to the quest log this time around and added it to the first post.
You know. Just so people are clear on who the credit goes to.

The rest of your critique is fine. I hadn't planned on updating the map, so I never responded.
I think...all of which were fixed while I made this new version anyways, so there's little point talking about them.
Like the rendering issue was caused by you playing without an second human player and entering/leaving the giant scorpion arena...It was a...weird bug.

Updated the map after spending 50 days building a new version out of S P I T E.

Complete overhaul and rebuild of major parts of the engine.
! = Major
+ = Minor
~ = Fix

! Arena mode added, now the default mode because Adventure was TRASH.
! Complete engine overhaul boosted gamespeed by 40%, smoothed out controls, and made the game...not boring.
! So many bug fixes and error corrections and gameplay breaks fixed and OTHER TRASH that I'm just putting a blanket right here.
___If it didn't work before, it probably does now. Except Survival, because shut up.
! Collision fleshed out and BASICALLY "added" compared to v0.5's barely functional prototype collision.
! Tahu received a complete rework on his movelist. Gaining Dash-AA(2nd hit for Dash-A), 8S(Knockback), 8D(3wave projectile), new [SS]"Megaflare" move(charged unblockable), and [2S]Launcher+Autojump move, and a new [Air-S] downward meteor slash back to the ground.
! Major UI overhaul to remove most of the WC3 UI and add custom made(hi, me, I made them) health/stamina/mask energy bars and floating buttons to show you the controls.
___Special thanks to UI_Utils for providing the groundwork on disabling the default WC3 ui, very helpful. Finally a part of the map I didn't make from scratch.
! Added a music player for Arena using F1~F5. 9 songs to cycle through, a 10th plays automatically when the game is down to only 4 kills left. You can shuffle or loop1.
! Character #2 - Kopaka added. Yes, an entire character. 20+ new moves NOT shared with Tahu...Stole Tahu's removed old [SS] stab combo for Kopaka's [AA].
! Added [W]Grind. You can press [W] when knocked back to grind your hand into the ground and reduce your knockback(costs HP&stamina). Saves you from acid/thecliff.
___Also looks anime as hell.
! New interactive intro cinematic tutorial for ALL modes that forces you to LEARN THE CONTROLS. Can be skipped with ESC key.
! Complete ground-up rehaul to Akaku(X-ray). It might as well be a new mask. Sees through walls & ice, sees Invisible(Huna), Sees weakpoints(cause damage&stun), lets you lockon invis units, bakes you a cake, points to other players/enemies/masks/your shrine in adventure mode, tells you you're pretty, makes a swishy camera zoom sound when you activate it.
! Masks "Huna"(Invisibility) and "Rau"(Translation) added to Arena.
  • New mode selection screen.
  • Added player commands for Arena : -fix (debugs), -color(change your toa's color to 1~25), -ui (removes ASDF ui buttons).
  • Added -floor command. This adds the wc3 default floor texture to arena. This is not recommended and lowers the framerate. And looks ugly.
  • Replaced all wc3 baked assets like rocks/ice/etc with more stylized ones so they DON'T BREAK IN REFORGED MODE(which I still don't have). Also lego palm trees.
  • Added [V] Taunt button. Does nothing, lowers your grapple tier while active, meaning players can run up and grab you without Pakari(Strength).
~ Fused [X]Dodgeroll and [Z]Guard into [X]Guard/Dodgeroll. No arrows? Guard/parry. Arrows? Roll baby.
~ Moved Lockon from F1(stupid) to Z. Moves Target cycle(random) from F2(stupid) to Q/R(which weren't used in lock-on mode anyways).
~ Q/R now cycles to the LEFT/RIGHT of the target, instead of just picking a 100% random other target to lock onto.
~ Stamina regen boosted.
~ Stamina costs of all moves standardized. [A] moves cost 5, 4 if they're combo moves like AA/AAA/DashAA/SSA/etc. {A} moves & [8A]/[2A] cost 10, 8 if they're a combo move like Kopaka SS/SSS or Tahu AAS. [D] cost 10stam per second, [2D]&[8D] cost 15, [F]/[8F]/[2F]costs 20/15/10. Stamina costs are static and same for all characters. You can now guage how much stamina you'll have at any time with just instinct.
~ A host of other things I forgot while making this for the last 50 days.

The most noteable difference between v0.5 and v0.7 is:
I want to play v0.7
If you want more than that, outta here.

Last edited:

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Also I would appreciate if this could be moved back to Map DEVELOPMENT, since otherwise no one will notice and try it out.
It is still in development. There are things wrong.
If you want to make a development thread for it as well, start one here: Map Development
EDIT: actually, you already have one: [Miscellanous / Other] - Bionicle - Mask Quest (3D Action Adventure)
I will re-review the map sometime in the near future when I get the time. I will also put it back to Pending for now.