• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Art of Defense Palace v9.7

Reactions: deepstrasz
Art of defense is a well known old school game, you get starting units (a hero too) and have 3min to prepare your base for next wave! And the game ends with victory after 23 sucessfull waves.

You are playing as Burning Legion commander, each color has his own hero and units:
Red - Tichondrius (Undead)
Blue - Mephistroth (Undead)
Orange - Anetheron (Undead)
Purple - Rend (Fel Orc)
Yellow - Maim (Fel Orc)
Green - Dalvengyr (Undead)
Light Blue - Lord Morte (Corrupted Night Elves)
Ally yourself with Kael and his Blood Elves .. or decide to destroy him.
The game is a mix of altereed melee/defense/campaign style map. :D
At the end you have to kill the boss Lord Garithos.

Defend against 23 waves.
- 6 Tier Units Upgrade, 20 Hero Level
- 200 Food Limit, 2 Tier Towers Upgrade
- 8 Items Shops, Goblin Laboratory
- New units, Mercenary, Dragon Roost

Report all bugs/ideas here, thank you!

Gameplay by wtii (ver8):

Gameplay by Czech brotherz ver 9.7!:

Change Log:
v3
Terrain fix, Balance changes, Added New ally - ???, Bugs fixed
v5
Fel orc race improved, Demon gate for undeads added, First wave got easier, Overral terrain fix, Balance, Ending dialogue
v6
Fixed bugs, new enemy, new cinematics, harder ending, new units, new heroes to train
v8
Fixed bugs, Balance, Added content, Light blue got new hero
v9
6 new units to buy from the Legions Agent(!), Legion Agent will send units for free (3 times total) Towers got nerfed, New enemy bosses, New dropable items
v9.6
2 new levels(after the last level), AI fixed, Bugs fixed, Balance (No op maraad)
v9.7
Bugs fixed

Credit list:
Fire Mage by Kitabatake
RoyalFootman by HateCrew Royal Knight by stefan.k
Neutral Building - Thieves Guild (Beta) BTNMarineArmor by The_Silent
BTNRifle01 by NFWar DivineArmor by (Darkfang)
Elite Guard by PrinceYaser Royal Captain by Tranquil
Chaos General Vanguard(Holy Doomguard) Fel Orc Rampager
Chaos General ChaosWarlockArcher
Ent-Peasant (Corrupted)
Arch Doomguard made by Kitabatake
Chaos Marauder
Chaos Razormane
Previews
Contents

Art of Defense Palace (Map)

Reviews
deepstrasz
Well, you have to just put the right X and Y position for each... Just look at how other units/heroes have their positions for their spells. EDIT: -I guess, an enemy player should not have the same colour as a human player (e.g: red) -you cannot...

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
Resources in Use by Art of Defense Palace | HIVE
That says you've used resources from more users whom you've credited. Of course, the program isn't perfect so some might be there even if you haven't used them.

1. Some abilities like Firebolt do not have a proper tooltip/description compared to other hero spells.
2. Abusive one tile and flat terrain with little doodad variation too.
3. Fel Orcs have a big advantage over other factions/races because they have chaos attack type.
4. There are only two playable. Players cannot choose what to play as and they always start on the same start location as the colour. Only two players can play as orc.
5. Some heroes like Tichondrius have more spells than others.
6. Sharpshooters are too powerful and they attack from the start when each player has only has a level 1 hero.
7. The orc faction is underdeveloped. They cannot train any other hero like the undead. They are also lacking unit variation. Their spellcaster comes out with all spells available.

Compared to Blizzard Entertainment's Monolith, this is not that good even if there is emphasis on hero power progression.
It feels like it lacks content. Could be better in many places. Would be nice to have more than two factions, to be able to choose which to play as and the factions to be refined and different.

These links can help you create custom races:
How to: Create a Full-working Custom Race
UB - Ultimate Battle v1.96 AI+
Deforestation of Felwood v2.1.1
Nightborne v1.04
Planetary Domination v2.04

Awaiting Update.

=============================================================================

Always check/recheck the Map Submission Rules! (Map Submission Rules)

These will help make a better description:

Screenshots could attract more players to download your work. Make the best of them.

A credits list in the map thread description is required where the names of the resource (models, skins, icons, spells, sound etc.) authors are mentioned along with the specific resource. It would be a luxury to have links leading to the used resources. Credits in the Quest Log would be appreciated.

A detailed changelog in the first post would be helpful to reviewers and notify fans about the newest implementations to your map.

To make your work run smoother, fix the so called leaks: Triggers - Memory Leaks and Custom Scripts

If you want more reviews, come here:
The Grand Review Exchange!

Level 5
1. Some abilities like Firebolt do not have a proper tooltip/description compared to other hero spells.
Flame strike is better anyway :D (Im not good with editor/spells thats why i dont know how to fix the tooltip of it)
2. Abusive one tile and flat terrain with little doodad variation too.
Please keep in mind that if i spam the map with trees and doodads the enemy will not attack properly and the players could use the doodads/trees to their advantage.
3. Fel Orcs have a big advantage over other factions/races because they have chaos attack type.
Undeads on the other hand can build units like Mage of Death (chaos dmge too) and flesh golem (2500hp)
4. There are only two playable. Players cannot choose what to play as and they always start on the same start location as the colour. Only two players can play as orc.
I currently cant fix this.. my editor skills are limited
5. Some heroes like Tichondrius have more spells than others.
I fixed it in ver3, each hero has 1 bonus spell
6. Sharpshooters are too powerful and they attack from the start when each player has only has a level 1 hero.
Yeah i fixed it
7. The orc faction is underdeveloped. They cannot train any other hero like the undead. They are also lacking unit variation. Their spellcaster comes out with all spells available.
I will make sure to add them more units and maybe bonus hero in next version

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
Flame strike is better anyway :D (Im not good with editor/spells thats why i dont know how to fix the tooltip of it)
Just see how other spells have their descriptions written. It's that simple.
Please keep in mind that if i spam the map with trees and doodads the enemy will not attack properly and the players could use the doodads/trees to their advantage.
That shouldn't stop you from using terrain height and tile variation. Just one repetitive flat patch of land is unpleasant.
I currently cant fix this.. my editor skills are limited
You could do some reading on it and ask around:
WarCraft III Tutorials
World Editor Help Zone
Requests
I will make sure to add them more units and maybe bonus hero in next version
Awaiting Update.

Level 29
"Defend against 23 waves."
Sugestion:
Remove the tag Altered Melee and put Defense / Survival, I think fits more and also is to be honest with audience.
Altered melee are not ment to denfed against waves of enemies,
altered melee as it says is normal melee play with changes like new races or custom new things.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
  1. I have to say the terrain is lovely looking now but the road needs to be shortened or if you could make it so that buildings could be placed on it since it takes a lot of space and some players like the orcs, will have problems building/expanding their base, otherwise.
  2. You can summon a dreadlord when playing as undead. It's useless to have two heroes with Vampiric Aura. This hero can be summoned three times depending on the main building's tier level.
  3. No idea why you changed the icons of some upgrades.
  4. The Demon Gate is too big and has a small selection circle. Units can get through parts of it.
  5. Not sure you realize the cost and food requirement of some units. For example the Eredar Warlock is a 9th level unit which takes 1 food and costs 85 gold... (this unit almost kills the Flesh Golem in a 1v1 battle and the latter costs a lot and requires 10 food!) The Infernal Juggernaut takes 4 food and doesn't cost too much for what it can do (has long range, chaos damage and can summon an Infernal...).
  6. The Demon Gate should be only be built one at a time to avoid powerful unit training spam.
  7. One can train Orc Generals indefinitely.
  8. Orc Warlock and Fel Archer have the same icon.
  9. The Dragon Roost can be built on anything even doodads. That should not be.
  10. It's pretty useless to be able to train lesser dragons when the roost can only be built as a last tier building.

Better changes indeed but you need to refine the map, fix oddities and work on the unit balance.

Awaiting Update

Level 5
1. The orcish terrain have been edited, I think they have got enough place now. ( they could also build outside the base either)
2. I replaced it with silence (i think it will be useful more anyway since tichondrius got vampire aura already as you told me)
3. There are 6 levels of Upragdes, therefore they have to be changed in order to fit into the 4th, 5th and 6th level. (with the concept style)
4. I have fixed it
5. Yeah, im sorry I always test the map but certainly not 100%.. thank you
6. Demon gate cost 1620gold and takes about 5min (+/-)to make, i dont think theres anyone who will spend other 1620gold for the demon gate since the gold is very limited in this game
7. Fixed
8. Fixed
9. Fixed
10. Fixed

thank you for your time trying to get my map playable :D

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
Now, the undead have two heroes with Doom and Rain of Fire.
Units still have to be balanced in regard to food-cost-strength (referring to the same thing mentioned before: the demon gate troops and the flesh golem).
Heroes can be trained without upgrading the main building.
The Fel Orc General can choose Reincarnation without being level 6 (so basically on level 1).
Hero ability icons need to be properly placed. They're chaotically positioned.
The Dragon Roost can still be placed on other buildings, doodads etc. It also has an invisible (small) selection circle.

Awaiting Update.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
Is there a way i can fix it? I Tried to shuffle the hero abilities but they are still the same.
Well, you have to just put the right X and Y position for each... Just look at how other units/heroes have their positions for their spells.

EDIT:
-I guess, an enemy player should not have the same colour as a human player (e.g: red)
-you cannot build an Altar unless you have tier 2 (e.g: Halls of the Dead)... Likewise for the orcs and the corrupted
-the Orc General has the same icon as the Blackrock Blademaster
-use another model or a Ancient Protector skin as the game's Corrupted Ancient Protector has an attack animation bug as it is shooting with its back
-the Skeleton King has the same icon as the Skeleton Warrior, Giant Skeleton Warrior and Skeleton Champion; the Burning Archer's icon=Skeleton Archer's
-the corrupted look as if in a early alpha stage; might want to be more creative
-Satyr Soul Stealer and the Skeleton Champion, both have Raise Dead. You might want to only keep Animate Dead on the champion
-some units need a better description (e.g: Skeleton Champion)
-try finding different models for some units as many look alike (e.g: Skeleton Warrior and Skeleton Champion); or at least change their colour or skin

Better changes overall,
Approved.

(previous reviews:
- Art of Defense Palace v9.7
- Art of Defense Palace v9.7)

Last edited:
Level 12
Well what can i say about this...
First of all i really enjoy the concept of this map, i am a fan of the older versions, i played a lot of games in the past and i enjoyed them, and i was hyped when i saw that someone remade the map with new things, but there is a big problem, This map is way too difficult at a point that is not even funny.
You need to do 4 things for this map to be good, cuz as of now the map is not enjoyable.. so:

1. First you need to update the map to the latest patch of war3, a lot of map makers seems to forget about this part, but trust me is a very important step for your map to become something better, playing on this old patch is awful...

2.The timer of the waves is way too short, you need to make the time bigger, something like 3 mins or even 4 mins between waves, so the players have time to: Rebuild! their armies/buildings, explore the map, and prepare for the next wave, in my opinion for every wave the timer should get bigger with 30 sec.(for example the first wave comes in lets say 3 min. after that the next should come in 3.30 sec, and so on)

3.From what i have seens and tested the units of all players are waay to weak to be even called units at this point, even the so called elite units that cost like 1k+ gold are at best laughable... make them stronger, give them better spells, so they are not a waste of money..:mwahaha:

4.And the final thing, from what i have seen, there are 2 fountins in the middle of the ma that are protected by some mega op towers, so nobody can use them.. i suggest to make those towers a bit weaker, so the playes can have the chance to destroy them.

Oh and another thing, i have seen that for evey wave there is a mini boss:spell_breaker: that drops an item, i suggest to make those mini bosses a bit weaker and make 1 for each mini wave so every player has the chance to get 1 of their items, btw those items from the mini bosses needs to be stronger, like for exemple. from the footman wave, their mini boss dropped some boots of +6 agility... that is so bad, make them stronger, something like +20 all stats or something, and get stronger for each wave.

Overall this map has a lot of potential and i can't wait to see what you will do in the future with it, have a nice day and good luck with this map!:infl_thumbs_up:

Level 5
Well what can i say about this...
First of all i really enjoy the concept of this map, i am a fan of the older versions, i played a lot of games in the past and i enjoyed them, and i was hyped when i saw that someone remade the map with new things, but there is a big problem, This map is way too difficult at a point that is not even funny.
You need to do 4 things for this map to be good, cuz as of now the map is not enjoyable.. so:

1. First you need to update the map to the latest patch of war3, a lot of map makers seems to forget about this part, but trust me is a very important step for your map to become something better, playing on this old patch is awful...

2.The timer of the waves is way too short, you need to make the time bigger, something like 3 mins or even 4 mins between waves, so the players have time to: Rebuild! their armies/buildings, explore the map, and prepare for the next wave, in my opinion for every wave the timer should get bigger with 30 sec.(for example the first wave comes in lets say 3 min. after that the next should come in 3.30 sec, and so on)

3.From what i have seens and tested the units of all players are waay to weak to be even called units at this point, even the so called elite units that cost like 1k+ gold are at best laughable... make them stronger, give them better spells, so they are not a waste of money..:mwahaha:

4.And the final thing, from what i have seen, there are 2 fountins in the middle of the ma that are protected by some mega op towers, so nobody can use them.. i suggest to make those towers a bit weaker, so the playes can have the chance to destroy them.

Oh and another thing, i have seen that for evey wave there is a mini boss:spell_breaker: that drops an item, i suggest to make those mini bosses a bit weaker and make 1 for each mini wave so every player has the chance to get 1 of their items, btw those items from the mini bosses needs to be stronger, like for exemple. from the footman wave, their mini boss dropped some boots of +6 agility... that is so bad, make them stronger, something like +20 all stats or something, and get stronger for each wave.

Overall this map has a lot of potential and i can't wait to see what you will do in the future with it, have a nice day and good luck with this map!:infl_thumbs_up:

Thank you for your time and your suggestions :)

1. Where can i do this?
2. When I would make the time bigger the game would become boredom, + the game would take too much time, already the game lenght can be over 1hour which is already too much in my opinion..
3. You need to upragde the units to level 6 with attack and defense, and I would only use the units from the demon gate or for orcs the Fel Champion / Red Dragon.. but I must say in next version i will bring many more new units :)
4. You have to buy the siege wagon from legions agent to destroy these towers :)

I will make new bosses and bring many new items in next version too :D

Level 1
Wow that was fun! Played with 5 people on battle.net. Everyone but the two orcs and I (Red undead) got wiped but we pulled it off in the end. The heroes at the end were ridiculous and the only way we managed to beat it was because their ai bugged out and they stopped moving. Could use a lot more work but this map has huge potential!

Replay attached.

Attachments

• Art of Defense.w3g
    607.1 KB · Views: 159
Level 5
Wow that was fun! Played with 5 people on battle.net. Everyone but the two orcs and I (Red undead) got wiped but we pulled it off in the end. The heroes at the end were ridiculous and the only way we managed to beat it was because their ai bugged out and they stopped moving. Could use a lot more work but this map has huge potential!

Replay attached.
Hello I have watched your replay, the bug is fixed, thank you for your time uploading it here :) Btw make sure to play again because there are more secrets to be uncovered :D after the detheroc there are 2 bonus levels.

Level 1
Played the map again. Really fun! Not sure if it was the latest version but it seemed a bit easier. This time we killed the castle at the end and unlocked the secret objectives. Makul (skeleton ranger hero) basically carried it. Death and decay does %hp damage per tick and nothing is immune. Killed like 50 demons with 1 cast at the end. The detheroc heroes bugged out again too but this could just be an older version.

Replay attached.

Attachments

• Art of Defense 2.w3g
    988.3 KB · Views: 68
Level 5
Played the map again. Really fun! Not sure if it was the latest version but it seemed a bit easier. This time we killed the castle at the end and unlocked the secret objectives. Makul (skeleton ranger hero) basically carried it. Death and decay does %hp damage per tick and nothing is immune. Killed like 50 demons with 1 cast at the end. The detheroc heroes bugged out again too but this could just be an older version.

Replay attached.
Thank you again, I fixed all of the bugs I saw. I hope there are no more issues with triggers.. :D

Level 4
- Unbuildable ground texture in base is annoying as I can use that space
- Orb of Darkness in shop kinda weird since every hero already has an undroppable Orb

Good map though.
I've seen many imitations of Art of Defense maps, most disappoint me. This one doesn't.

Level 5
- Unbuildable ground texture in base is annoying as I can use that space
- Orb of Darkness in shop kinda weird since every hero already has an undroppable Orb

Good map though.
I've seen many imitations of Art of Defense maps, most disappoint me. This one doesn't.

The orb in the shop is for the available heroes from the altars. Ppl used to complain about the nonranged heroes so i had to put the orb in the shop :D and come on the terrain is not that much limited u can build anywhere :p and of course thank you I am glad you liked it anyway :)

Level 4
The orb in the shop is for the available heroes from the altars. Ppl used to complain about the nonranged heroes so i had to put the orb in the shop :D and come on the terrain is not that much limited u can build anywhere :p and of course thank you I am glad you liked it anyway :)

Alright for the Orb ill give u that one
But the unbuildable terrain textures inside the bases is just unnecessary, u have enough room on the map for those textures, lemme construct my ultimate defense + all my necessary production/upgrade/food buildings!

Edit:
+ Forgot to point out how I especially like the uniqueness of each human (boss) unit with item(s). Gives each individual a real natural and unique feeling to it.
- Also how I dont agree with the distance for shops that sell potions? As potions are largely useful for the early-mid game.