• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Which Patch(es) are people Primarily Modding On?

Which Patch(es) are people Primarily Modding On?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
(Not sure this is the right place; move it if need be)

Without diving into the drama of things, I think we can all recognize that the release of the Reforged Patch (& to some degree, the various issues with Patches before, in the Modern Patch Cycle) has resulted in a community which is somewhat fractured.

New questions are being asked; for example in Contests, the concept of "which Patch should people be modding on/for" has come up where it never did before.

My goal is not to argue about which is best or how much you think Reforged stinks. All I want to know (& show) is this: Which Patch(es) are You Primarily Modding On, and Why?

Thanks for your time.

P.S. I've been using this handy page to remind myself about the Patches & what they contained.

SpasMaster

Hosted Project: SC
Level 23
I play on latest patch, have Reforged purchased, but always play with Classic mode on.
I am simply not a fan of the visual style of Reforged, but I am a fan of patching and improvements + new features for the Editor so I will personally always play on latest patch.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Just to be clear, this isn't asking which version you play on; just which version you are Modding on.

===

I am currently modding exclusively on v1.26; not only the last of the Original Patch Cycle back in 2011, but also the one I have all set up & ensconced with all my custom mods & maps & additions. Easiest & most comfortable to use.

However, I do see myself moving to mod in the latest pre-Reforged version (v1.31), even if only for one single, solitary reason: Buffs were Enabled to Stack as of v1.30, so I have to get at least that far (& it makes sense to stop short of Reforged, as I prefer Classic).

We'll see if I have to rethink that. But like I said, v1.26 for the time being.

Level 21
At the moment I'm modding on the latest patch with a locked classic mode (like spasmaster). Although I prefer the visual style of 1.31 when it comes to shadows, lighting etc, the 1.32 world editor runs much smoother (for me) and has more features. I also believe that these current issues regarding shadows etc will, sooner or later, be fixed in the current version. By modding in 1.32 I also avoid the eventual hassle of upgrading a map from 1.31 (which we had to do during the latest mini-map contest).

Another thing is that I love making multiplayer maps, which becomes an issue were I to mod in 1.31. I'm sure there are ways to go about it (evolve maybe?), but I see it as another unnecessary hassle. And were I to play a multiplayer map with my friends -- many that don't even know how to install a 1.31 version of WC3 -- this would only add another layer.

I totally understand the criticism though, and I hope all missing features will eventually get patched in. I've never been much for creating custom campaigns, I guess that affects my perspective on things.

Level 6
I'm modding on 1.32 (reforged) - I make multiplayer maps, and the newest version is the easiest to host for my friends / anyone from discord. I also like having the option to immediately host on bnet and maybe get someone. In my current project I'm trying to keep it visually legible in both classic and reforged graphics.

However, if I was working on something like custom campaigns, my preferences would be very different haha

You should have separated Reforged SD and Reforged HD. Not all maps made in HD can be played in SD even if you're in the Reforged patch.

By the way I created a quite similar poll a day after the release of Reforged, only difference is that you did it more specific.

[POLL] Should we still mod for the Classic or for Reforged?

Last edited:
Level 20
1.30.4 to bridge legacy & reforged. maps saved in 1.31+ wouldn't support patches below of it.
So I guess it's up to the modder on which he/she would want his/her mod to be compatible with the legacy/reforged users.
'Compatibility or New Features' is a decision to make here as we all know this community is divided or apart since reforged.
I chose compatibility that's why I mod in 1.30.4 even I have 1.31+ which is having the new features.
Although, I'll switch to mod in reforged someday as long the developers would keep updating it significantly.
This would let me grasp the new features and bring the modding experience to another level for sure.
I just don't like the approach they did on that 30+ GB just to make it cross-compatible. I think they should've made reforged
as a separate program for graphics switch and continue the patch cycle they're having in legacy patches (1.27-1.31) before as
it's having more potential. We're all in different places, not all could afford the requirements they've brought for sure.

Lately I use Patch 1.22 World Editor. I think @Kyrbi0 it is possible you are not entirely correct. I was pretty sure 1.22 was the end of the Original Patch Cycle and 1.23 and onwards were a shoddy hack job made by an intern in a hurry to stop viruses who was in communication with Vexorian from wc3c asking Vexorian for input on how to keep custom games alive despite the necessity that had arisen to remove one of the cornerstones of modding in order to stop viruses. (This being the "return bug" that was removed from 1.23 onwards.) I once read a comment by Vexorian which said, "Without the return bug jass would be a retarded limited scripting language."
So, 1.22 was the peak of the good times in my opinion. So I have been making maps in Patch 1.22 World Editor and then playing them on Warsmash Engine.

My current map is called Pathing.w3x and I use it to test the pathing.

• Love
Reactions: pyf
I'm not sure if I'm relevant to your study. Everyone said the path I am choosing would not end well.

I saw something very creepy the other night. I sent a friend my map as an EXE. The code binary was 30 MB and the game MPQ was 22 MB. I played the map while tracing the asset loading function and then built the game install containing only the assets necessary for that particular map. And the EXE would just launch that one map when the game started.

I created this in a matter of minutes as the first deployment ever created so that I could test what I was developing on another computer.

But when I think back through diving in that 22 MB demo.MPQ using an mpq browser, and how it was perfectly sorted like the original game yet minified to only contain the assets used, I start to see what I've become. And, I am not sure, is it the most creepy thing ever known to Warcraft 3? Was I so hasty to become the beginning of the end?

I thought that's what the ultimate modding is. Freedom.

I need to disappear. I will have to leave the name Retera and Warsmash behind me. It's become too well known, I was so innocent and so chatty.

I am not relevant to what you are doing. The last time I did serious game modding was Patch 1.00 and it went really well. It felt good to mod again after so many years. I guess that was relevant. But I didn't finish it:

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
You know I love you man, & I respect your monologues, but this thread might not be the place. : )

If you mod Warcraft 3 on any given Patch, then you & your thoughts (on that matter) are relevant to this thread. Just vote & then post explaining your vote (or in this case, just vote because you've already explained it). That's all.

Level 18
I'm modding on Reforged, mainly because of the graphics.

I want to see epic strategy maps with these models / terrain.

EDIT: and I fckin can't wait for custom campaigns on Reforged. It seems to me that new content possibilities are even more endless than before (if we ever get that feature back)

Level 8
I've switched to Reforged too. To be honest, I foresaw/expected many compatibility issues with my current Fallout mod project, so I worked with minimum risk when it came to triggers that abused some glitches, etc. It took me moderate amount of time to fix things, but some bugs were a low blow (broken natives, etc. which used to work fine in one patch, then went broken for no apparent reason in another). Henceforth, I'm taking extreme caution with new natives, etc. and work only with the most basic triggers, even if they're poorly optimized and end up rather beefy.

Level 20
1.26 because everything on that works on everything afterward. I inherently distrust any of the new functions introduced later because of their varying degrees of bugginess (like how something works in one patch and not any of the others-- how would you even put up with that? The easiest way is to ignore them).

That said, I'm prepped to switch to Reforged as soon as custom campaigns are put in. Adding in HD assets in 1.26 is trivially easy, the only thing is I forgot that 1.26 limits the map size to 8 MB (even in single player).

Last edited:

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
That said, I'm prepped to switch to Reforged as soon as custom campaigns are put in. Adding in HD assets in 1.26 is trivially easy, the only thing is I forgot that 1.26 limits the map size to 8 MB (even in single player).
How're you going to put the new .mdx format in 1.26 and how're you going to bypass the map size limit without requiring people to download external stuff to do it if they want to play your stuff?

• Sad
Reactions: pyf

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Will they ever be able to release a stable patch again?
I've replayed one of my 1.27 maps on 1.31.1 and found lots of bugs due to triggers that I've not encountered before. Sure, 1.31.1 is obsolete but I doubt it's that much different than 1.32+ in this regard.

Most mappers don't make campaigns.

Makes sense, just surprised. Most of the people I encounter in Reddit and other forums are usually saying that they'll stick to classic but the poll here shows otherwise. Maybe I'm missing some good updates in the current version, last time I updated my Warcraft 3 (Reforged version) was like three months ago.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Honestly, I'd be happy to pay for an official 1.31.2 version that just fixes all the leftover bugs in 1.31.1.
I don't want to buy the game again. It's not about money, it's the principle. I'd rather they let Warcraft III be modified so Retera wouldn't have to make Warsmash.
Makes sense, just surprised. Most of the people I encounter in Reddit and other forums are usually saying that they'll stick to classic but the poll here seem to choose otherwise. Maybe I'm missing some good updates in the current version, last time I updated my Warcraft 3 (Reforged version) was like three months ago.
It's a statistically meaningless difference.

Level 13
I'm modding on 1.31.1
A couple patches patch a few of the BlzSetSpecialEffect functions got swapped (yaw and pitch maybe?), so updating as far as I could (to keep up with live's changes) without downloading 30 GB in assets. Its what I've had to do in being practical with a 230GB hard drive lol.

1.29.2 for stability and 1.31 for getting more of the missing content in between (as well as most updated, albeit buggy heck, pre-reforged). I think I might need 1.30 as well.

To be honest, 1.26 would be the most stable but the fact they patch the memhack limits the usage for players from higher patches. Also, some of the new natives are quite great, especially for GUIers.

Wait what's that about memhack?
A hack in 1.26 to change values of game memory. It was patched in 1.28 or 1.29, not sure which.

The hack allows you to read internal values of units (like the new natives) and make changes to them. I recall with sufficient knowledge, very complicated alterations can be done to the engine.

Level 9
I mod on the newest patch because the editor is much faster nad has the most features. It no longer freezes for a few sec everytime I change a name, tileset etc. of a unit. I'm glad they've managed to optimize that, at least.
Also the new natives are great for making stuff you couldn't do before.

I mod on the newest patch because the editor is much faster nad has the most features. It no longer freezes for a few sec everytime I change a name, tileset etc. of a unit. I'm glad they've managed to optimize that, at least.
Also the new natives are great for making stuff you couldn't do before.
Did you turn off brush list before? The only new things of worth I have noticed are being able to change interface and object editor in-game, which overall isn't worth it with the demanded costs of refailed.

Status
Not open for further replies.