1. Find your way through the deepest dungeon in the 18th Mini Mapping Contest Poll.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. A brave new world lies beyond the seven seas. Join the 34th Modeling Contest today!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hive 3 Remoosed BETA - NOW LIVE. Go check it out at BETA Hive Workshop! Post your feedback in this new forum BETA Feedback.
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

[POLL] Should we still mod for the Classic or for Reforged?

Discussion in 'Warcraft Discussion' started by Strydhaizer, Jan 29, 2020.

?

Which version do you prefer to mod?

1. Classic (The real classic/CD Version) - 1.31 and lower

65.4%
  2. Reforged patches

22.2%
  3. Both

12.3%
  1. Strydhaizer

Strydhaizer

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    After all the things that happened today I really feel unconfident whether I should continue modding for the classic (even if Blizzard already killed classic/CD versions today) or should I completely abandon my projects that I made specifically for the classic. I am not complaining I just feel sad hearing that they killed the classic and forced people to update to Reforged even if they didn't buy it.

I'm asking the community what are their thoughts about this, are you guys still going to mod and play the classic or are you guys going to move on to Reforged? I will be leaving the poll open forever so I can see the ratio of people who will prefer to mod and play the classic and the people who prefer moving on to Reforged, and you can change your votes anytime you want. This is just a survey so me and other people (especially the modders) will see which version people prefer to mod and play, because what's the point of modding in classic if people are playing reforged now? Or vice versa.

(This is not a hate thread, if you hate the new patch post a new thread instead, this is just a survey).

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
  2. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    It's too early right now.

3. Strydhaizer

Strydhaizer

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    That's why I left the poll open forever, and changeable anytime.

4. FeelsGoodMan

FeelsGoodMan

Resources:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Ported Models:
    Resources:
    You should include another option that says we should wait and see.

Trust me though, I have the same feelings as you and I am extremely discouraged from continuing on my current classic projects...

5. Strydhaizer

Strydhaizer

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Don't vote in the poll if you have a 'wait and see' feeling, just vote when you change your mind.

6. FeelsGoodMan

FeelsGoodMan

Resources:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Ported Models:
    Resources:
    The reason I want to wait and see is because I want to know if they intend to fix the issues that affects me the most, and to see what workarounds I can find. If my problems are solved in due time I will have no problems with continuing classic modding.

7. Uncle

Uncle

Resources:
    Resources:
    I'm confused, why wouldn't your projects work in Reforged? Is it because of copyright infringement issues?

The update that "forces" players to upgrade to Reforged only changes the UI as far as I know. Your map should still work (albeit maybe buggy at the moment) and players should have the option to play on SD (Classic) graphics if that is what it is intended to be played on.

That being said, I am upset to find out that Blizzard basically owns my content now and that I'm essentially working for them for free. If I were to create the next Dota for example it would basically be Blizzards game from the start. A bit bitter that Valve claimed Dota, hmm?

The copyright stuff doesn't really come as a surprise though. I've avoided using any old art assets/copyright stuff since Reforged was announced. It is extremely unfair that people's maps are going to be banned though... But it is 2020 after all, we aren't getting Warcraft 4 anytime soon and things aren't getting any better. Blizzard releases let down after let down of uninspired garbage. Magic the gathering gets popular? Hearthstone. DotA 2/League? Heroes of the Storm. And Overwatch is literally just DotA and Teamfortress smashed together, two of Valve's games LOL.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
  8. FeelsGoodMan

FeelsGoodMan

Resources:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Ported Models:
    Resources:
    Screenshot (New) - Screenshot (Old)

These are just some of the graphical issues I am experiencing. This is all in classic by the way, not Reforged.

9. WyrmSlayer

WyrmSlayer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Just gonna fly in here,

For me , Because of copyright infringement issues (which i think alot of maps will suffer from?)

10. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Talk about 16bit CRTs.

11. FeelsGoodMan

FeelsGoodMan

Resources:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Ported Models:
    Resources:
    There has always been copyright stuff in the EULA, it's not a recent addition.

12. WyrmSlayer

WyrmSlayer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Ohh. So its the fact that your map can be perma banned if it has those copyright issues that is the problem??

Well personally i was really hyped for reforged.
    Would be the first time i got to use battle.net to play custom maps online instead of relying on 3rd party programs / servers.

13. FeelsGoodMan

FeelsGoodMan

Resources:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Ported Models:
    Resources:
    While I doubt that is gonna happen (unless they receive a DMCA complaint), then what stops you from simply altering your map a little bit, then re-hosting it? How can they permanently ban a map? There would need to be an identifying trait that automates the banning process, or else they would have to manually ban all maps. So, if it gets banned, simply change the name or something then you can re-host it (most probably).

Yeah I know right...

14. mori

mori

Resources:
    Tools:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    My personal take on this is that the EULA issue is blown way out of proportion. If you look at EULAs for any modern game, they are scary as fuck, but these things rarely hold up in court. I doubt Blizzard is going to go after individual mapmakers unless a third-party entity issues takedown requests to Blizzard to remove maps from WC3. Which is very unlikely to happen.

The EULA for WC3 customs has always been extremely sleazy. The "you don't own your map" thing has been there for ages. Doesn't mean it necessarily holds up.

I don't plan for my map to become big or marketable in any shape or form. If I want to take my map to a standalone, Blizzard can suck my balls - gameplay ideas and "concepts" are not copyrightable. That's the least of my concerns.

I believe there are far bigger issues at hand, though - like the current state of WC3 (buggy) and the very tangible possibility that Blizzard will abandon WC3 development post-launch seeing the backlash.

15. FeelsGoodMan

FeelsGoodMan

Resources:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Ported Models:
    Resources:
    This applies to pretty much 99% of the modder base, and anyone who wants to monetize their game development has moved on to Unity.

16. mori

mori

Resources:
    Tools:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Yes. That's why the whole "I won't develop maps anymore because of the EULA" thing seems very knee-jerky and silly to me. There are far more concerning reasons to stop developing for WC3 though.

17. Duke

Duke

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I really don't want to mod for Reforged because of the need to edit all textures (dds, some maps for shaders or wtf). It makes quickly editing stuff to suit my needs take too long. If the above mentioned issues with effects and glows are resolved I would probably stick with classic. Also I don't think there will ever be as big a model repository of Reforged quality models as for classic ones.

EDIT: I didn't read the poll until now. I really really hope that community will not split into reforged, reforged classic, 1.31 classic and 1.26. That would truly suck.

18. FeelsGoodMan

FeelsGoodMan

Resources:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Ported Models:
    Resources:
    Maybe not as big but there's an insane amount of high quality models from Wow, Dota 2, Unity and so on that looks good in Reforged, and they're all available for free on various websites like Wc3-maps.ru, Chaosrealm, XGM etc.

19. Duke

Duke

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    True, but I have yet to see whether getting them to reforged is going to be easy or hard. Right now ripping WoW model is quite simple.

20. FeelsGoodMan

FeelsGoodMan

Resources:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Ported Models:
    Resources:
    It's quite simple, I am developing a map in Reforged with a plethora of HQ ripped models.