• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Wc3 classic or reforged for new terrain?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 27
So should I use classic or reforged now for a new terrain?

classic = custom models
reforged = custom models won't match? but in general provided models are already "better"?

also would making it in either one make other people unable to play it?

I am conflicted about this.

More into detail i've also been considering reforged since I want to scale down everything at 0.5 to make the map feel even bigger, this is basically because I sort of feel like I am already missing space for sense of scale of the thing I am trying to make, and I feel like reforged textures etc. will fit this better.

Last edited:
Level 21
Maps with lots of units will be nearly impossible to entertain with reforged - too low fps.

Maps with few units, like rpgs, work fine with reforged.

Furthermore keep in mind that many players have refunded reforged.

Level 27
Mh sure, reforged sounds like trouble on one end but wouldn't making it in reforged make it more future proof? Maybe they fix some stuff later, wishful thinking I know.

Let's say I make the whole thing in classic, you can't really buy classic anymore though, I understand you have to buy reforged and then put it into classic mode to play it.

Level 4
Maps with lots of units will be nearly impossible to entertain with reforged - too low fps.

Maps with few units, like rpgs, work fine with reforged.

Furthermore keep in mind that many players have refunded reforged.
I do not consider Reforged a problem even with a large number of units, I play maps in Full tiny units with a large number of HD models (in numerical battles and full of effects on the same screen) and I do not see such a large reduction in FPS. Is your machine from the years 2010?
Perhaps playing with heavy graphics-HD is still a problem in multiplayer and online due to the compromised quality of the internet or the hosting server to the gaming.

Classic all the way. Reforged Graphics are Garbage imo.
I disagree.

Last edited:
Level 21
Depends on what you and i consider low fps - 30 or less isn't very pleasing to look at i think.

Ryzen 5 2600
16 gig ram
geforce 1660 ti

There should be no confusion here:
Place hundreds of units in the editor alone and switch from HD to classic, be it singleplayer or multiplayer - you will see a drastic difference in fps.

Level 4
I confess that in fact, using the classic, the game practically flies ... as desired!
But I have already played Reforged with approximately a hundred units active simultaneously, there is an overhead really compared to the Classic, although I find it very barely noticeable, after all, I have also always played only SinglerP and I also do not have the habit of playing in Full-HD maximum graphics settings.
It may even have something to do with the type of old engine that is still used (Wc3-game 2002), being associated with the new graphics (provided by modern games mechanics). Because it is not possible, today there are textures with several advanced features, such as: MipMap, we shouldn't be in the middle of the 21st century, having any obstacle even using countless units and in the maximum graphic configurations.
My Pc compose.
processor: Ryzen 5 3600 (6 cores, 12 threads, 4,2 GHz)
RAM memory: 16 GB 3200Mhz (2x8)
motherboard: Asus Prime B450M
video board: Radeon RX 5500 XT 4Gb
storage: SSD- NVME 500GB

Status
Not open for further replies.