1. Are you planning to upload your awesome tool to Hive? Please review the rules here.
    July 9, 2018: The rules for the Tool Section have been revised. Please be sure to read the revisions.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The 15th Mini-Mapping Contest came to an end. The Secrets of Warcraft 3 are soon to be revealed! Come and vote in the public poll for your favorite maps.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 12th incarnation of the Music Contest is LIVE! The theme is Synthwave. Knight Rider needs a song to listen to on his journey. You should definitely have some fun with this theme!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Join other hivers in a friendly concept-art contest. The contestants have to create a genie coming out of its container. We wish you the best of luck!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

WFE - Warcraft Feature Extender

Submitted by Unryze
This bundle is marked as awaiting update. A staff member has requested changes to it before it can be approved.
Warning!
This only works with Warcraft 3 TFT patch 1.26a.

[​IMG]

How to use:

1. Extract all files to the MAIN folder of Warcraft 3 as shown on screenshot below.
[​IMG]
2. Launch WFE.exe and choose parameters you desire and then push Okay to save changes to conf.ini or simply edit conf.ini directly.
[​IMG]
3. Launch Warcraft 3 and enjoy!

The program is used to configure data for the .mix patch(extension), which can affect these parameters:

1. Hotkey management.
2. FPS Limit Removal.
3. Camera Height Control.
4. Mouse lock in windowed mode.
5. SmartCast.
6. Widescreen support!
7. BLP Limit 512x512 removal.
8. Single Player pause removal.
9. Single Player/LAN/Battle.net Delay setting.
10. Camera steps: height/incline/rotation.
11. LAN Game Start Timer setting.

Many thanks to Karaul0v and ENAleksey for help!
Contents

WFE - Warcraft Feature Extender (Binary)

ReadMe (Binary)

ChangeLog (Binary)

Reviews
eejin
Do you have any intention of updating it to function with the newest Warcraft 3 version? Once you do it can be reviewed for approval. Refer to the tool submission rules or contact me if you need any clarification.
  1. GhostOfPast

GhostOfPast

Resources:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Only casual peasants goes to third party outdated wc3 versions :ogre_hurrhurr:
    Anyway, we push everyday the limits of Warcraft 3 so that's good to see, imagine then with the newer version ? ^^

2. Unryze

Unryze

Resources:
    Resources:
    So far I've noticed third party being much superior to Blizzard's implementations, but the real reason, why I am using 1.26a and making tools for it, is due to the reason, that it is the most stable patch so far and it can be extended to become much better and more powerful than the current latest patch.

The reason is simple, it is possible to add custom natives and pretty much copy every new thing that was added to the newest patch and considering that the code will allegedly be better, I think calling 1.26a outdated is straight up rude and intolerable.

Back to the topic, I dislike the newest patches and I've lost all faith I had placed in Blizzard for a long time now, therefore if I can make 1.26a better in any scenario - I will try to do that. What I mean is this, once I get a bit more experience I will start actually working on adding those custom natives I've mentioned.

TL;DR new is not always the best and in a lot of cases old can become better than new, if changed according to the needs and by a person who actually cares.

3. GhostOfPast

GhostOfPast

Resources:
    Template:
    Resources:
    [​IMG]
    One day, i had a dream where all Wc3 players could play in the same server, where all players would be judged by their favorite game instead of what version they play.
    I had a dream where Wc3 shall be in a unique version, where all maps would never need to be adapted to fit all the previous versions.
    I had a dream where all wc3 players won't have to pick a side and to select a community, because they would be all gathered into one strong nation.

4. Unryze

Unryze

Resources:
    Resources:
    To those who may be interested, what update I am currently planning:

1. If smartcast was not selected, Shift + Button will cause effect of smart cast and vise-versa.
    2. Hero "saver", or so called autoselect (for example if unit was saved with let's say NUM9 (possibly will use this key), then on losing control, that saved unit will be instantly selected.
    3. Selective smart cast on each button.
    4. Possibility of dynamic control of parameters (yes, that means config editing and updating of data for .mix while in the game).

If anyone has any other feature ideas, will be glad to hear them out.

5. dtnmang

dtnmang

Resources:
    Models:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    woah :O

6. pyf

pyf

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    @GhostOfPast:

worst-does-all-of-this-prequel-sauron-stuff-line-up-with-lotr.jpg

One version to rule them all, one version to find them,
    One version to bring them all and in microtransactions bind them
    In the Land of Battle.net where the desyncs lie.

@Unryze: v1.01 is not a valid application for Windows XP

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
  7. Unryze

Unryze

Resources:
    Resources:
    I use libraries that are not supported by such old version of Windows, sorry, but there is nothing I can do.

You can use config.ini directly instead, as long as .mix works the tool itself is not needed. It is a GUI representation of config.ini :)

8. SadisticLeprechaun

SadisticLeprechaun

Resources:
    Resources:
    On the latest version of WC3, and I would love to get that camera height control to zoom out, do I have any options?

9. pyf

pyf

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Ideally, one should use the same old libraries as this old version of the game already uses.
    :wink:

Now, which version of DotNET would WFE v1.01.exe *really* require in order to run (since it appears that it imports the file mscoree.dll)?
    Please have a closer look at the second release of War3loader (which is the one that runs on Windows XP) for inspiration?

I am getting an access violation error on exit.

Game version: WC3 v1.26.0.6401 (French)
    conf.ini: everything set to 'no', and no other third-party mixtape file in the game's folder

Attached Files:

10. Unryze

Unryze

Resources:
    Resources:
    Well, if you can hook Cheat Engine or any tool like it to WC3, you can find either value itself or address containing it and you can change it.
    That simply cannot be done and I cannot be asked to bother about a Windows version that is so ancient that it is not supposed to exist anymore.
    This error indicates that it is unable to use INIParser.dll, aka you either forgot to move it with rest of the files, or it is simply unable to run it, due to the libraries.
    C# and even my C++ dll use:
    C#
    using IniParser;
    using IniParser.Model;
    using System;
    using System.Collections.Generic;
    using System.ComponentModel;
    using System.Data;
    using System.Drawing;
    using System.Linq;
    using System.Runtime.InteropServices;
    using System.Text;
    using System.Threading.Tasks;
    using System.Windows.Forms;
    C++
    #include <Windows.h>
    #include <vector>
    #include <ctime>
    #include <string>
    using namespace std;
    #include "MinHook.h"
    #include "Structures.h"
    #include "INIReader.h"
    #include "CameraHeightH.h"

I am not sure what exactly XP does not like, but as I've mentioned I have 0 will to be bothered supporting Windows XP, sorry, but it is long past its usefulness.
    If your system is unable to let either of the files to use INIParser.dll there is nothing I can do, that one uses this:
    #include <algorithm>
    #include <cctype>
    #include <cstdlib>
    #include "ini.h"
    #include "INIReader.h"
    and
    #include <stdio.h>
    #include <ctype.h>
    #include <string.h>

#include "ini.h"

#if !INI_USE_STACK
    #include <stdlib.h>
    #endif

Pretty much if any of the libraries are not supported by Win XP there is nothing I can do.

Or well, the other way is, to make the Stand-Alone dll for Camera Height and Widescreen, which I can do, if that will suffice though.

11. pyf

pyf

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    ... but you are bothering for a version of the game that is so ancient that it is not supposed to exist anymore, are you not?

If you choose to not support Windows XP (or any other OS Warcraft 3 was designed to run on), then you should explicitly mention it in your readme.

Now, does it really require Windows Vista to launch a GUI?

I see no mistake on my part with the files I copied in my WC3 folder.

Both WFE v1.01.exe and INIFileParser.dll require DotNET.
    You could mention in your readme which version(s) of DotNET is/are required.

I am pointing out that directly modifying the file conf.ini indeed allows for some changes to take effect (note: only tested with widescreen so far).
    ??

When I am referring to the second version of War3loader, I am referring to this program (version 1 and version 2) which was written by @TriggerHappy. He had 1,000,000 will to be bothered (by me) supporting Windows XP.

That is why I am asking about the DotNET and Visual C++ version requirements.

I generally use VirusTotal or PeStudio to get hints and clues about exe/dll files.
    btw, who is Ricky?

I think INIParser requires DotNET v2.0.50727, while WFE v1.01 requires DotNET v4.0.30319. Both are suitable for Windows XP. The compatibility problem is imho with your target OS version, since even the Visual Studio 2017 Runtime can be installed on XP.

Have you installed the optional Windows XP compatibility pack by Microsoft to your build environment for Visual Studio 2017?

Again, does it really require Windows Vista to launch a GUI?

Standalone mix files could indeed be nice.

I am guessing you are reusing some already well-known third-party code designed for v1.26a. This is because the camera zoom does not work with the RoC campaign, just like with the mix file Camera Hack.mixtape (CRC32: FB05A915). This code is not by @karaulov afaik.

I can confirm that proper widescreen works for RoC and TFT. Is this code yours?

Maybe I could point you to several additions. But since you do not seem to be keen on supporting Windows XP, I may not benefit from them in the end.

Not sure I could do anything with this, but thanks anyway.

I think calling Windows XP a Windows version that is so ancient that it is not supposed to exist anymore and is long past its usefulness, is straight up rude and intolerable.
    :ogre_hurrhurr:

Attached Files:

12. Unryze

Unryze

Resources:
    Resources:
    One thing is the game I care about, the other is obsolete OS.

I do not consider anyone using XP, sorry, I just don't care as I've stated.

It uses NetFramework 4.5, using VS 2017, there is no option for that in C# as it cares pretty much only about for what CPU and what Net Framework you target.
    Then either you don't have Net Framework 4.5 or it is not supported by Windows XP, not sure.
    This I do agree on, forgot to add it, will do so in the future.
    Now that is strange. WFE.dll (.mix) uses windows 10 SDK and Windows 10 as target platform, this makes it all the more confusing.
    Cool, but I am not him.
    Ricky? Possibly the person who originally made INIFileParser, I am not sure myself.

As mentioned before, it is 4.5 not 4.0 and it is on C#, dunno what can cause problems with XP.
    Yes, as Vista / 8 / 8.1 and 10 SDKs.
    Of course no, but as I said, XP is just too old to be of any use.
    Will make it tomorrow maybe.
    Nope, the code is his and is utilizing address that is TFT specific, to be fair I've remade a bit, but I've yet to find address that will suit both or address of the value itself.
    Most of it is from Karaul0v, I've modified it a bit, most of the code for this feature is pretty much the same.
    You are correct, I do not consider XP worth caring at all, I will however test NetFramework 4.0 for a change, if it supports everything and XP additionally, I will use it instead (4.5 got selected automatically).
    Well it was mostly to explain what is used, so in case you had any issues with any of those mentioned, it would indicate the issue.
    An OS that is restricted to x86 (there is somewhere a x64 version but I've heard it was unstable), with a limit of 4 GB (3.5 to be precise) of RAM and outdated APIs, etc... and not to mention that Blizzard also abandoned this ancient OS does indicate that it is time to let it dust and use either the well-rounded Windows 7 or like me a Windows 10, which I adore a lot.

As for your XP, in order to support it with C# How can I run C# application on XP - CodeProject

Basically I have to install VS2010, sorry, not happening.

P.S. added a ReadMe, thank you.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
  13. pyf

pyf

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Regarding WC3, Blizzard officially dropped support for Windows XP and Windows Vista soon after v1.29.0 was released. It is most certainly possible to extend the prior versions of the game with additional features, without experiencing all the drawbacks of the current official versions of WC3 (borched audio, desyncs...)

Maybe you will be interested in the way KeeperFX manages to fix and update the legacy code of Dungeon Keeper?

This is why I say INIFileParser.dll 2.5.2.0 requires DotNET v2.0.50727:

inifileparser_strings.jpg

Its SubsystemVersion is 4.0.
    So you do care about Windows 98 after all? Cool...

Thank you.

I already have mixtape files for these two (and more!). They work on Windows XP and do not create any issue on exit. The Camera height hack could be improved though, to also support the RoC campaign.

What I am interested in are separate mix files for everything else that your tool does.

*cough!*

This is why I say WFE v1.01.exe requires DotNET v4.0.30319. I also already noticed the 15.8 string related to Visual Studio 2017

wfe101_strings.jpg

Unfortunately, its SubsystemVersion is 6.0.

Fyi, both the VS2017 Runtime and DotNET 4.0 can be installed and work on Windows XP.
    Unfortunately, DotNET 4.5 and above can not be installed on that OS, per Microsoft's decision (note: shame on them!)

OSVersion and SubsystemVersion for WFEDll.mix both read 6.0, which means Vista to me.

Source code by rickyah:
    rickyah/ini-parser

Maybe you should also mention it in your readme. Damn, there are so many things you should mention in your readme...
    Please see above.

I very strongly disagree with you on that point.
    :grin:

I do not think that the Camera hack code was created by @karaulov. I personally would have said Sosha, but I myself re not very sure of it. Maybe someone can help with this?

Could you please document your changes somewhere?

Likewise, could you too please document your changes somewhere?

Also, is this other piece of code related to the Widescreen Fix v1.20c by @ENAleksey?

Thank you.

I understand that WFE v1.01.exe is just a GUI used to edit a text file (conf.ini) and that's it. I can use Notepad for that.

There are both x86 and x64 (sort of) versions of Windows XP as you have already pointed out, just like there are 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows 10 and of every other Microsoft OS in-between. Windows XP x64 was not targeting the average consumer, especially since 64-bit apps were not a thing back then during the early to mid 2000s. And even when Vista and 7 were released, 64-bit apps were not that desirable.

It is still possible to install the Visual C++ 2017 Runtime on Windows XP. AS for DotNET, the final version supported for XP is v4.0.30319

Officially, the final version of WC3 supporting Windows XP is v1.29.0. Vista support was dropped soon after (both 32-bit and 64-bit versions) because Blizzard goofed with their build process, and they were not even aware about it! So they prefered to declare Vista as unsupported as well, instead of fixing their build process for it. No kidding.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
  14. Unryze

Unryze

Resources:
    Resources:
    Please learn to read, I am requoting myself:

"An OS that is restricted to x86 (there is somewhere a x64 version but I've heard it was unstable), with a limit of 4 GB (3.5 to be precise) of RAM and outdated APIs, etc... and not to mention that Blizzard also abandoned this ancient OS does indicate that it is time to let it dust and use either the well-rounded Windows 7 or like me a Windows 10, which I adore a lot.

As for your XP, in order to support it with C# How can I run C# application on XP - CodeProject

Basically I have to install VS2010, sorry, not happening.

P.S. added a ReadMe, thank you."

WFE.exe is not made on C++, it is C#.
    I repeat for 5th time, WFE is C# and not C++.

This simply has nothing to do with this, obsolete OSes are obsolete for a reason, for the same reason VS ALSO dropped support for XP on C# and same goes to Net Frameworks HIGHER than 4.0, that is it.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
  15. pyf

pyf

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I can read, thanks for your concern. But I have to admit that reading your previous answer is indeed difficult. In it, you are making quotes within quotes. Plus, your answers do not exactly match the quotes. These answers also are out-of context imho. And last but not least, you are concatenating two different sentences from me and turn them into one which hardly makes sense:
    ... and
    ... now become when you "cite" them:
    ... which is imho very confusing in more than one way for *any* reader.

Are you using translation software by chance? That may explain things.

Because quotes within quotes are difficult to properly format as answers, I will mainly make cut and pastes of your answers from your previous post, for clarity's sake.
    As a reminder, Warcraft 3 is a 32-bit program, written with and for older APIs too, and for older OSes. Also, v1.26 can not address more than 2GB of memory.

Windows XP is not "my" XP.

Regarding C#, please see below and tell me what you think.

When typing the words "VS2017 using dotnet 4.0" in DuckDuckGo, here are the first two links I am getting:
    - Missing .NET Framework 4.0 in Visual Studio 2017 Prerequisites when publishing
    - VS2017 and .net versions

Admittedly, it seems that Microsoft does not want to make things easy on the developer. When visiting the archive of previous DotNET versions, this is what I am getting:
    .NET download archives for Linux, macOS, and Windows

It may be worth mentioning here that DotNET 4.0 comes in two separate installers for the end-user:
    - the (main) .NET Framework 4 Client Profile
    - the (optional) .NET Framework 4 Extended (which nobody ever installs because imho nobody cares about such software)

In a previous post, you have written "If anyone has any other feature ideas, will be glad to hear them out."

Also, the feedback I am providing you is free of charge. Lucky you.
    :xxd:

Since you are the one who proposed it, I am still interested in testing your code as independent mix files. This might allow me to find out which part of the WFEDll.mix file is responsible for the crash on exit on my French version of Windows XP.

Out of curiosity, are you using a hacked game.dll? For the record, mine has a SHA-1 that is C5D8624B67129DD156BFBB64734F94C84D828605

Your submission is still pending. It must comply with the Hive's rules, which explicitly say that credit must be given where credit is due. Please read our Submission rules.

I am guessing we both agree to disagree about the usefulness of Windows XP.
    I am also guessing this may also apply to any other OS or software that you do not know / use?

So @karaulov provides you some code, you say you modified it, and when I am asking you to please document your changes somewhere, your answer is... no?

I suppose that you also have no intention to document the changes you have made to the widescreen code either (which is, if I understand correctly, not related to the Widescreen Fix 1.2.0c by @ENAleksey, considering that your answer to this one is "Wrong again").

I hope you will still get lots more help from lots more people.

For starters, Warcraft 3 was designed with W9x OSes in mind (and boy, it painfully shows!). I trust that v1.26a can still be installed on W98SE / Millenium / Windows 2000 / Windows XP (and on some older Macs too!), because the switch to Visual C++ 2013 (and Direct3D9 btw) was made with v1.27a.

Because v1.26a does not require an internet connection in order to play, it means that the game is installed on more computers (PC or Mac) one would expect (nor care about in your case).

So you are not interested in the way enthusiast developers manage to progressively fix and update a great 1997 video game, all without breaking the playability of it and without the source code?

You do not seem to want to learn from the experience of other fellow enthusiast developers who want to keep vintage video games alive on modern OSes...

I am not on drugs. But maybe you can tell me how it feels to be? Just curious...

No you did not. I have asked you who Ricky is, based on the strings I discovered in INIFileParser.dll 2.5.2.0. You answer was "Ricky? Possibly the person who originally made INIFileParser, I am not sure myself." Meaning you did not really have a clue who Ricky was. Afer doing a bit of research, I was able to provide a link to rickyah's GitHub for his ini parser, something you did not do. And yet, it was easy to find.

The description of the INI parser reads as follows:
    "A .NET, Mono and Unity3d compatible(*) library for reading/writing INI data from IO streams, file streams, and strings written in C#. [...]
    (*) This library is 100% .NET code and does not have any dependencies on Windows API calls in order to be portable."

Maybe he will want to enlighten us about it?

The Camera hack code provided to you by @karaulov has the same shortcoming than the one from the mixtape file I already know and use and have provided in a previous post: it does not work on the RoC campaign. Just saying.

This one comes as your answer to the information that it is still possible to install the Visual C++ 2017 Runtime on Windows XP. Fyi, I updated yesterday my VC++ 2017 Runtime to the latest v14.16.27012.6 release.

This is to emphasize the fact that Windows XP is not as unsupported by Microsoft as you think (please see below)

The decision to drop OS support and/or to not support features from OS to OS is about time and money.

Not allowing the DotNET 4.5 Runtime (and above) to install on Windows XP was one of the ways to encourage developers to migrate to Windows Vista and promote this OS. It is not the first time Microsoft uses such tactics, and sadly it will not be the last.

Of course the fun thing is, even the latest Visual C++ Runtime can still be installed on XP. Oh well...

Maybe you are unaware that the POSReady 2009 version of Windows XP is still updated monthly as of this writing with new features (TLS 1.1 / 1.2 support system wide), minor enhancements (time zone updates) and security fixes for Windows and/or DotNET (and/or Office 2003 and 2007), all of which being supposedly EoL (which is, of course, not true). The updates are still served through Windows Update, but you can also download them directly from the Microsoft Update Catalog, which I encourage you to browse. Again, just saying.

Fyi:
    POSReady 2009 updates ported to Windows XP SP3 ENU

Ain't it great to learn new things everyday?
    :xxd:

(rotfl, now I am so very much off-topic here. But in all honesty, it was worth it)

Last edited: Dec 20, 2018
  16. Unryze

Unryze

Resources:
    Resources:
    Nope, you clearly cannot.

Not reading wall of stupidity, 99% of your information is pretty stupid and subjective, you may stay and hole up on XP for all I care, do not mind posting anything further, I won't be reading it.

17. The_ClOW

The_ClOW

Resources:
    Resources:
    Just thought i would drop by to say my 2 cents @pyf :
    1. Windows XP is a deprecated as it can be;
    2. Every developer chooses which platforms/windows versions to support that is a developer choice not a user choice;
    3. If you want one for Rain of Chaos or Windows XP you are more than welcome to code it yourself, otherwise stop whining about no XP/RoC support, no one is required to do anything for you specifically, Unryze just coded the tool and is sharing it with the WC3 Hive community out of kindness, he is not to blame for the for the fact that you want to stick to an ancient OS, either upgrade to a recent OS (like Windows 7 or 10) or shut it, nobody cares if you use the program or not.
    4. Unryze keeps telling you that you need C# distributable which doesn't work on Windows XP but you keep insisting you can install C++ Redistributable, i guess you can read but not understand what is being said to you, probably English is not your first language.

18. eejin

eejin

Tool Reviewer

Resources:
    Tools:
    Resources:
    Do you have any intention of updating it to function with the newest Warcraft 3 version? Once you do it can be reviewed for approval. Refer to the tool submission rules or contact me if you need any clarification.

19. Unryze

Unryze

Resources:
    Resources:
    Sadly that would take quite a lot of time, unless someone has gathered all addresses then I can make it read version and use addresses based on that.

Another issue is, that .mix does not work on patches higher than 1.28.5.

Meaning I will have to write an injector, or well, somehow attach it via WFE.exe to WC3, which I actually should do.

All-in-all patches constantly change data, I won’t be able to singlehandedly update the tool every time, thus I used the most stable patch for it.

Once I finish with other things I work on, I will at the very least upload an update with much better smartcast.