• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Warcraft 3 Reforged Leaked Previews

Status
Not open for further replies.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
@Archian
Warcraft III Reforged Night Elf Sentry and Warden Models
Warcraft III: Reforged Spell Animations Preview

About the Warden/Assassin model:
wardenQ.png

Illidan's cart has nothing (no Illidan) inside?

Did you see the Fel Orc models? They are COMPLETELY different from the default Orcs!
Wouldn't say completely but they are Pan worshipers.

Level 6
WOW!

I wish World of Warcraft had models of such quality and variety!!

That's probably a glitch. Remember, we weren't really supposed to see these.

Level 6
Right but a wooden whip? What manner of bamboo is that?

Well the Night Elves are druidic so that's why. Also easily disposable if needed.

Also, due to how detailed the models are up close we could probably also make 3rd person or even 1st person maps/mods for Reforged.

Level 2
Well the Night Elves are druidic so that's why. Also easily disposable if needed.

Also, due to how detailed the models are up close we could probably also make 3rd person or even 1st person maps/mods for Reforged.

I read that the pre-alpha or the earlier build of WoW ran on a modified WAR3 engine; so it might be possible

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Razorclaw_X is right; the beta missile looked like this
I was thinking of glaives at first but took a look in the editor to double-check and in the final version it's the KotG projectile. Don't quite remember if RoC had a glaive or the current projectile though.
But I don't know about betas and alphas so I won't comment. Razorclaw_X didn't write anything about beta or alpha, just the concept art. Or because he wrote assassin instead of warden that means he was referring to the beta?
Also, what's a throwing star?

Level 21
The "AssassinMissile" model no longer exists in the current archives, but can be found in the War3beta.mpq archive (that can be downloaded from this post, among other things).
Or because he wrote assassin instead of warden that means he was referring to the beta?
The unit is called Warden in the Object Editor, but its model, texture and icon say Assassin, so it's likely the unit was initially named Assassin.
Also, what's a throwing star?
Aka shuriken.

Last edited:
Level 1
I have a bit of an issue with this misconception.

Reforged models aren't things that someone can pop out as a hobby.
They have an incredibly high polycount, absolutely massive skins, bump mapping and reflective surfaces.

That puts the bare minimum requirements for a low quality Reforged community-made model head and shoulders above anything most of us here could make.

Only incredibly talented modelers like @Murlocologist would be able to survive in the Reforged Modeling environment, and even then they'd all have to not only put the polycount through the roof, but have to learn how to create the bump-maps and reflective skin maps.

Maybe I did't explain myself, obviously you must have solid knowledge of 3D modeling, however, when I say you do not need to be a pro, I am saying that you do not need to be a senior artist to achieve it. I have a couple of years in this and as a junior artist I think it is possible.

This is my last artwork, and the next one will be better (possibly a custom model for reforged).
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/k4aJXA

Level 3
The ogre models have to be the only ones I straight up hate. They look very little like their WC2/3 or World of Warcraft counterparts. Where's the pot belly? Where's the weight behind the animations? They look almost lean by comparison.

Terrible. Yuck.

Level 16
This is my last artwork, and the next one will be better (possibly a custom model for reforged).
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/k4aJXA

I like it! I hope more talented people like you contribute to Reforged.
As for @HerrDave Don't worry about it man. Sure, Reforged will up the game, but that only means that people will want to be more up to the challenge. After all, Reforged will be a new game. For example, CS:GO has ~700k player base, while CS1.6 has about 10k.

What I'm saying is, making models for Wc3 was a huge challenge in the past (to some, it is a challenge even now, like me), but with today's tools everything is possible, even that high poly count sweet model.

If anything, I believe people refrained themselves from making sweet models for wc3, because 1. they didn't fit the theme, and 2. wc3 was allergic to high polycount sweet models.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
As for @HerrDave Don't worry about it man. Sure, Reforged will up the game, but that only means that people will want to be more up to the challenge. After all, Reforged will be a new game. For example, CS:GO has ~700k player base, while CS1.6 has about 10k.
I think we're talking about the modding scene not player number.

Sylvanas looks too much like the Dark Ranger type form WoW/HotStorm. Also, nude compared to Warcraft III. So, the character has leather pants with crotch armour. Makes sense. Knees aren't even protected.

Level 10
Chiming into the thread to drop my opinions that no one will probably care about:

1) I LOVE that they're adding a lot of unique models to differentiate units and also give important lore units their own unique models. No more neutral creeps with multiple of the same model but in different colors (Golems, Centaur, Bandits, etc), as well as unique buildings for High Elf, Lost Ones/Broken Draenei, Fel Orcs, etc. They even went as far as to create a model of a moss covered golem, for a unit of the same name which is literally used in one mission in the entirety of the game.

2) I'm really happy they're implementing a lot of elements from WoW. Wendigos, Sasquatches, Voidwalkers, Nether Dragons, etc, all look like how they do canonically in WoW. Another change I really like is how they retconned Jungle Beasts into being the bog beasts from WoW. No one ever really understood what they were anyway and they never got brought up ever again after TFT.
It also really amuses me to see a lot of Hive members confused and enraged about the changes because they've never bothered to play WoW or get to know the lore.

3) I'm super excited that they added a female Satyr. It's one of the races, such as Ogres, that we've never seen a female version of. Really glad about this addition.

4) The tying of loose ends and addition of extra lore such as Anastarian and Thaldorien is really unexpected and amazing. I hope they add more stuff like this such as Darkhan betraying the High Elves and what not.

Changes I DON'T like include:

1) The Goblin Land Mine doesn't have it's iconic look anymore.

2) The Alchemist's ogre isn't blue anymore. :(

3) I'm not really feeling the armor of the bandit models. I think on it's own as an idea the armor looks sick as fuck, but it doesn't really look like a human bandit such as the Syndicate or Defias. They honestly look more like Vrykul warriors than human bandits.

4) The Stormreaver warlocks no longer have that creepy face and lazy eye. :c

5) The head/beak of the Dragonhawk unnerves me. I can't really put my finger on it, though. Is it the beak that's too big? Is the eyes? I don't know but it's fucking with me.

6) The Infernal is perfect however the face creeps me out. Those perfectly round eyes scare me.

7) The Waygate looks less Titan-y. It's like all black/grey now instead of grey and gold.

8) The Goblin Laboratory says Temple of Kaboom now instead of Temple of Boom.

Lastly, here are some things I'm hoping for, or changes I want to see, in Reforged:

1) Additional DLC that has new races and/or campaigns.

2) Incorporating the additional demo missions that detail Thrall escaping from Zar'jira into the Prologue campaign.

2) Even more unique models for lore characters including but not limited to: Falric & Marwynn, Sen'jin, Baine, Gavinrad the Dire, Ballador the Bright, Sage Truthbearer, Duke Lionheart, Neeloc Greedyfingers, Zar'jira, Califax, Mephistroth, Anetheron, Rage Winterchill, Mug'thol, Baelgun Flamebeard, Bovan Windtotem, Mogrin, Tagar, Bloodfeather, Kor'gall, and more.

Level 16
I think we're talking about the modding scene not player number.

What I'm saying is, making models for Wc3 was a huge challenge in the past (to some, it is a challenge even now, like me), but with today's tools everything is possible, even that high poly count sweet model.

If anything, I believe people refrained themselves from making sweet models for wc3, because 1. they didn't fit the theme, and 2. wc3 was allergic to high polycount sweet models.

Yeah well I believe these two paragraphs reference that, or should I rephrase that better: More players means more modding community, take for example games with a big modding community always have a big player base. And I also believe that wc3 was inhibiting talented modders from making content, due to wc3 limitations in comparison to what Reforged will offer, in regards to engine capability.

Level 5
Why the hell would bandits in Wc3 look like Defias or like Syndicate ninjas???!!!
That would be ultimate heresy and bullshit. The bandits in Wc3 actually look cool, not like some pancy guys with knives, not to mention that this is Lordaeron and not WoW era Evelyin Forest.

Level 8
2) I'm really happy they're implementing a lot of elements from WoW. Wendigos, Sasquatches, Voidwalkers, Nether Dragons, etc, all look like how they do canonically in WoW. Another change I really like is how they retconned Jungle Beasts into being the bog beasts from WoW. No one ever really understood what they were anyway and they never got brought up ever again after TFT.
It also really amuses me to see a lot of Hive members confused and enraged about the changes because they've never bothered to play WoW or get to know the lore.
Even though I consider this post to be completly trollish I'm still going to reply. The units you have mentioned look canonicaly only by WoW canons. Jungle beast was just a yeati but junglecified (indeed not sure if their cover was supposed to be sking of fur or something else at this point you might be right). More like majority of WoW players didn't mention to play WC3 to know the unretconned lore and appriciate the storyline and the world without unneeded storylines and characters. If they want all of this changes in they shouln't name game warcraft 3, intead name in like WoW RTS, WoW 3.

Level 2
Some negative feedback:
All dragons and wolves suck. Dragons are VERY unalike to the original and very uninteresting. All wolves are too much alike to the original and look like a bad kindergarden drawing.
Also the netherdragons and the voidwalkers lost their "THING" and that is very bad. They must be something like they WERE = without all the "unnether and unvoid" features.
Does Blizzard honor feedback here and on their warcraft3 forum?

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
More players means more modding community, take for example games with a big modding community always have a big player base.
That's not quite true. It's not a fact. It may happen, it may not and usually players come to play the game not mod it and only the fewer use it for creative purposes.
And I also believe that wc3 was inhibiting talented modders from making content, due to wc3 limitations in comparison to what Reforged will offer, in regards to engine capability.
We'll just have to see how the first year goes. I'm not that optimistic. As many modellers here wrote, the creation process is far more long and tenuous and that time could be used for works for which they could actually gain something other than virtual reputation points.
Why the hell would bandits in Wc3 look like Defias or like Syndicate ninjas???!!!
Or like barbarians, lol. But at least they did some variation.
Now after seeing the Spellbreaker model, I gotta ask...
https://wow.zamimg.com/uploads/screenshots/normal/877766.jpg
How does his mask/faceshield stay on his face? :] It's not strapped on by anything, it's just magically glued to his face? :/ I see this as a flaw in the design, the mask has to be kept in it's place by something...
Many models are made that way. But seriously, how much detail do you want?

Level 6
That's not quite true. It's not a fact. It may happen, it may not and usually players come to play the game not mod it and only the fewer use it for creative purposes.
We'll just have to see how the first year goes. I'm not that optimistic. As many modellers here wrote, the creation process is far more long and tenuous and that time could be used for works for which they could actually gain something other than virtual reputation points.

That is true, but if we do a good job we could use these models for our portfolio.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
They even went as far as to create a model of a moss covered golem, for a unit of the same name which is literally used in one mission in the entirety of the game.
The swamp creatures with mushrooms on them are replaced jungle beasts.
2) I'm really happy they're implementing a lot of elements from WoW. Wendigos, Sasquatches, Voidwalkers, Nether Dragons, etc, all look like how they do canonically in WoW.
And why is WoW canonical and not Warcraft III? Go play WoW?
It saddens me that Warcraft III players have to be fed WoW.
2) The Alchemist's ogre isn't blue anymore.
Wow, you're so amazed by that other bull like the nether creatures looking like plastic and stuff but this insignificant detail ruins it for you? I mean, you're obviously no Warcraft III purist.

That is true, but if we do a good job we could use these models for our portfolio.
Let's hope hobbies (indirectly, for other companies) will actually prove beneficial on CVs.

The swamp creatures with mushrooms on them are replaced jungle beasts.

And why is WoW canonical and not Warcraft III? Go play WoW?

It saddens me that Warcraft III players have to be fed WoW.

Wow, you're so amazed by that other bull like the nether creatures looking like plastic and stuff but this insignificant detail ruins it for you? I mean, you're obviously no Warcraft III purist.

Let's hope hobbies (indirectly, for other companies) will actually prove beneficial on CVs.

You are by far the only one that talks facts and not blinded by hype, I must admit I'm pretty busy with Beta (trying to somehow make models in new mdx format pf) but I'm proud you have been battling with those WoW fanboys as a real WC3 fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.