• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Warcraft 3 Reforged Leaked Previews

Status
Not open for further replies.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Doesn't seem like it. Cause there is no icon. There are only icons for Illidan and a melee Demon Hunter that is female. Same for Death Knight. Priestess of the Moon and Warden are and should be female for story reasons. Keeper of the Grove is male, but he is not actually a Night Elf.
Not all icons have been released and remember, this is a beta.

Boy that flesh golem is disturbing (@MasterBlaster)
MEGA
Looks like that Nemesis from Resident Evil, something.

Hand't noticed just how much I dislike the new goldmine before I saw that video Augustus posted.
Looks more like the one from Draenor Warcraft II.

Level 21
Feeling mixed about them,stuff like the gold mine and some of terrain look strange to me,but I love how the blademaster looks

Level 24
He looks cool zoomed in, but you can't actually see him during gameplay.
It's like the modellers forgot that you play the game zoomed out and all models have to be distinctive from any distance.
Again, just ass art direction.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 316
  • 2.png
    2.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 511

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
MEGA
What is that on the left of the Infernal? Is it some sort of dreadlord without a proper texture?

MEGA
The middle dude doesn't have a face?

MEGA
Still don't like nerubians that much. They look more like Ahn'Qiraj.

MEGA
I guess night elves have goo retinas living in purple light.

Assassins/Wardens now have a whip:
MEGA

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
One thing I'm not clear on. Has Beta officially started, or is all of this still just datamining?
There is currently no public Beta version of Warcraft III: Reforged. For a chance at being selected if a Beta becomes available, make sure Warcraft is checked on the Beta Profile settings in Blizzard account management.

Graphics look good, I assume they will tune color themes, sizes and contrast as the last part when all models is done.

Hope I have all the originals of the my old icons, for when 256x256 icons hit.

The unit variation is amazing.

I hope they make sc2 resource available too, like they made wc3 resource for starcraft. I'm a sucker for modern maps in wc3, call me a masochist.

I will miss the feel of the old Revenant model, and some other models that seem to go in significant different thematic directions. But that is a pretty minor things.

Level 8
The Bloodmage has only two spheres around him.
The third one will be availbale for 2.99 $ only!
I think there are a few nice looking models, but man the game looks like shit.
How do you mess something as simple as a HD remake with this washed out brown/grey gargled mess.
You can't even tell what units are what and the animations are more stiff than dota 2 animations.
I'm so dissapointed really.
sometimes i think some members of this website have a listening devie in my house

Level 14
Level 3
the spell and item icons looks great. models looks terrible other than a few that stayed faithful to the original like the temptress

Level 6
I'm not sure what insane standards some of you have. Even die hard fans like Wtii and Grubby liked it and they were very critical last year.

Level 6
I think some people would have been fine with just a few more polys and higher textures on units while remaining 100% faithful to the old style. Others may be influenced by bad video quality or grapic settings.

Yeah, I get it but some of us like the newness. I think that opinion is very subjective.

Anyway, someone found a way to convert the first human level to be playable in the datamined beta. Lots of issues obviously but very playable.

Level 13
I think some people would have been fine with just a few more polys and higher textures on units while remaining 100% faithful to the old style. Others may be influenced by bad video quality or grapic settings.
It's a beta still. Lighting, terrain and stuff aren't finished. It's not even a beta yet, and by the looks of it, it'll be an very early beta.

Level 13
They were quite in theme with the draenei degradation. Now, they look too sci-fi for what the draenei have become.
It's a WoW retconn. They made them look like the broken buildings in wow(https://gamepedia.cursecdn.com/wowp....jpg?version=14eb9443e8fc5cf5d5227812a773e1fe). I personally think, that it's better this way and that they have some backround. The buildings look exactely like that, draenei buildings that have been broken/abandoned by the light. Some people, like me, will like it, some won't and we can all agree to disagree. In original WC3 TfT, draenei were hust some wild creatures from Draenor that are not friendly with the orcs, like gnolls on Azeroth.

Level 3
I'm not sure what insane standards some of you have. Even die hard fans like Wtii and Grubby liked it and they were very critical last year.
Bunch of people on this thread are delusional.
Some want Reforge is just some scruff upgrade, very little upgrade to preserve "cartoon" look. Let be real, that will be the biggest joke after Diablo Immortal. " 15 year for this , LOL XD ". The high quality models are there to get the hype , attracting new kid and old gamer want to comeback . Bring this game alive again.
Other want of Reforge with cosmical model/design quality , try to find every tiny detail to criticise. The game not even release yet.

btw, lighting look under development , not ready for anything yet.
UI look just like old one is biggest disappoint . Lack for information: Attack Time or IAS , Move speed , HP/MP regen , ect and CANT SEE ENEMY ABILITIES

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
It's a WoW retconn.
I know, Exodar and stuff, draenei->eredar, bla bla.
The buildings look exactely like that, draenei buildings that have been broken/abandoned by the light. Some people, like me, will like it, some won't and we can all agree to disagree. In original WC3 TfT, draenei were hust some wild creatures from Draenor that are not friendly with the orcs, like gnolls on Azeroth.
Warcraft II's manual says the Draenei have been eradicated. Well, let's say some remained somewhere since we see them in TfT, hidden and stuff. What we'd expect to see from these buildings is ruins if any would be left since Draenor also started crumbling and degrading its matter. That's why I think the broken/lost ones had proper buildings, as if they lost everything but their memories and some abilities and had to start over from the stone age. But yeah composite draenei buildings out of ruins and mushrooms would do too.

Level 13
Sadly I don't think there has ever been a HotS modding community, so making custom stuff like models, skins and icons will be a completely new thing(if there ever will be any :()
Yes. I mean do it again in HD^^ for aehm... specific... reasons...
Wow :peasant-thumbs-up-cheers:, if it has come to that I personally wouldn't mind seeing the broken instead....And who knows we might get an addon with them.
Even WoW uses female Draenei in place of female Broken that were obviously cut from TBC, so it wouldn't be that strange^^,lol

Last edited:
I wonder how will be the future of resource making here in the hive? models, skins, icons, only Mythic effects looks like they could fit the incoming new standard :I

I think a lot of the model maker here can make models like those in reforge, it just makes no sense as they would really not work in regular wc3.

Level 34
I think a lot of the model maker here can make models like those in reforge
Really? i mean, free new models of that quality / complexity? free tools like mdlvs or magos would be enought to work on them? most of those models are made by profesional modellers, with i assume, profesional software, and most of Hive's resources are just made for fun/hobby :peasant-thinking:

Level 9
Another small detail that i don't like. The classic archmage had a thin metal elmet.
upload_2019-10-15_19-8-39.png

That looks like merlin in Excalibur movie (1981)

Deus2YQV4AIIpJn.jpg

I really like this becasue that movie is one of the best i've seen about Arthur story and really got me as a child. When i saw the archmage in game the first time i really liked that fact that it's clearly inspired by that movie.

The reforged one does not have it, he has a tiara crown.
Why Why Why!?

Reactions: pyf
Level 24
There is antonidas models and then there is default archmage..

Bunch of people on this thread are delusional.
Some want Reforge is just some scruff upgrade, very little upgrade to preserve "cartoon" look. Let be real, that will be the biggest joke after Diablo Immortal. " 15 year for this , LOL XD ". The high quality models are there to get the hype , attracting new kid and old gamer want to comeback . Bring this game alive again.
Other want of Reforge with cosmical model/design quality , try to find every tiny detail to criticise. The game not even release yet.
Lets just take a beloved game and make it different, that will get the old fans back :^)

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
eally? i mean, free new models of that quality / complexity? free tools like mdlvs or magos would be enought to work on them? most of those models are made by profesional modellers, with i assume, profesional software, and most of Hive's resources are just made for fun/hobby
Don't underestimate the talent of Hive's artists. The only reason we've seen "low poly" models all this time, was because of Classic Warcraft. And even so, we still have stunning works of art in our resource database that could easily fit that of Reforged.

I for one can't wait to see the new models people will make for Reforged :D

Level 34
Don't underestimate the talent of Hive's artists. The only reason we've seen "low poly" models all this time, was because of Classic Warcraft. And even so, we still have stunning works of art in our resource database that could easily fit that of Reforged.

I for one can't wait to see the new models people will make for Reforged :D
Yeah, let's se what's ahead for the community, i hope to learn by myself how to make proper resources to contribute here too :')

Draneie buildings in wc3 looked like dogshit and all the same. Lets not even try to defend that mess.

Wait what, Anaxie are you alright? You were a fan of my Rebirth mod and loving it for being 'loyal to wc3 unlike reforged' do you have something wrong, are you high? How can you defend such a travesty of reforged turning draenei buildings into space goat shit?

Level 7
I do enjoy the inclusion of Draenei architecture because of my love for the race, though I can understand the distaste from old-school warcraft fans. Ultimately I hope they keep the new draenei bits but perhaps throw in a couple mushrooms. Hopefully make a compromise.

Level 35
Really? i mean, free new models of that quality / complexity? free tools like mdlvs or magos would be enought to work on them? most of those models are made by profesional modellers, with i assume, profesional software, and most of Hive's resources are just made for fun/hobby :peasant-thinking:

Several people from Hive work/or at the very least have a hobby that matches professionals. It should also be mentioned that tools for creating such models, textures e.g. have become very accessible and free (Blender for instance). So a good deal of the reason at least some are looking forward to Reforged is to get the option to work with more detail, even if the challenge of War3 classic design and limits was often also a good deal of the fun.

Level 6
Several people from Hive work/or at the very least have a hobby that matches professionals. It should also be mentioned that tools for creating such models, textures e.g. have become very accessible and free (Blender for instance). So a good deal of the reason at least some are looking forward to Reforged is to get the option to work with more detail, even if the challenge of War3 classic design and limits was often also a good deal of the fun.

Blender is incredible for modeling and is definitely on par with Max or Maya. It can even do sculpting to some degree. It is not great and incredibly cumbersome when it comes to texturing and if you are really serious about this, even as a hobby, for 15 dollars a month you can get Substance Painter, THE best texturing software out there. There are many freelancers out there who only pay for Substance and maybe Zbrush but if you don't want to pay 800 dollars for zbrush you can do some pretty great stuff in Blender too...That or just make new emails for the trial version. They won't care since you are making this for free.

I think the new engine additions even supports PBR, which is a HUGE plus.

Last edited:
Level 2
Yeah, I get it but some of us like the newness. I think that opinion is very subjective.

Anyway, someone found a way to convert the first human level to be playable in the datamined beta. Lots of issues obviously but very playable.

ok imo the video looks alright. It's a bit of a more real feel to it, fine by me. It gives the old Warcraft fights a new dimension.
The models by themselves initially looked bad to me but it can work alright together. It's hard to improve on the perfection of Warcraft 3 and I suppose I appreciate the extra Wacraft 3 content even if it sucks a little.

Level 6
ok imo the video looks alright. It's a bit of a more real feel to it, fine by me. It gives the old Warcraft fights a new dimension.
The models by themselves initially looked bad to me but it can work alright together. It's hard to improve on the perfection of Warcraft 3 and I suppose I appreciate the extra Wacraft 3 content even if it sucks a little.

I am looking at it this way: I think many people at Blizzard really want to make Warcraft 4 but can't due to WoW, which continues the WC3 story. So making the models as close as possible to the originals and even concept art but still different and a bit new is a good compromise for the lack of Warcraft 4.

They can take all the time in the world to work on this one and can even release it in 2021 as far as I am concerned. They are putting a lot of effort into this and I really want this to be as polished as possible.

Now the only thing I still want is a couple more expansions that expands on the Warcraft lore and formula, with new units, doodads and modding capabilities. Half of the campaigns should be classic Warcraft RTS but maybe with a few unit swaps and changes and half of them should be like the Founding of Durotar, meaning they take the Warcraft formula in new and exciting directions that make sense. For example, I would love to see a campaign based on the Roleplaying Strategy version. I would LOVE to see a Scarlet Crusade campaign or something about the War of the Spider or one where you play with the remnants of the Blackrock Clan or as the humans of Stormwind against the Blackrock Clan. A campaign based on the Illidan novel would be really cool too.

Found some 1080p 60fps gameplay

Last edited:

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
In classic the model is the same so i assume you are talking about reforged models, im gonna look into that, but that should be the melee archmage
You're missing the point. Right now, classic Warcraft III cannot be bought.
It stops being fun working for the community, or even as a hobby, when from a 24hish model making process they get to a 24days one.
It is not great and incredibly cumbersome when it comes to texturing and if you are really serious about this, even as a hobby, for 15 dollars a month you can get Substance Painter, THE best texturing software out there.
You want hobbyist to pay for something (monthly) they'd work on and release for free?

Level 2
Found some 1080p 60fps gameplay

ehhh weird, that video looks way worse. I feel like if they release this, it's going to kill the wc3 community from the split between people who use the new graphics and people who dont want to do that. Whatever, I'll buy it anyway just to see it because it's only 30 euros or something. Arent they supposed to release already in 2 months? This is gonna stay that way.

Level 6
You're missing the point. Right now, classic Warcraft III cannot be bought.

It stops being fun working for the community, or even as a hobby, when from a 24hish model making process they get to a 24days one.

You want hobbyist to pay for something (monthly) they'd work on and release for free?

It's only 15 euros a month, basically a WoW subscription. And after 12 months of consecutive payment you can get a perpetual licence so the software up until the moment you paid is yours forever. And if they made WC4 you would have to do the same thing. You can't expect things to remain the same forever.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
It's only 15 euros a month, basically a WoW subscription. And after 12 months of consecutive payment you can get a perpetual licence so the software up until the moment you paid is yours forever
15 x 12 is a big deal in, for example, Eastern European countries for a hobby. On top of that, you'd need much more to make models, model making and editing programs, who knows what else.
And if they made WC4 you would have to do the same thing. You can't expect things to remain the same forever.
Who said anything about Warcraft IV modding? Look at StarCraft II's scene, not matching Warcraft III's size in any way but still alive at least.

Level 6
15 x 12 is a big deal in, for example, Eastern European countries for a hobby. On top of that, you'd need much more to make models, model making and editing programs, who knows what else.

You can just make new emails for the trial version then. No one will care, especially since you are making this for free.

Blender and Substance are enough, and a great deal of people use this combination for professional freelance work. Zbrush is very powerful but not really necessary for a hobbyist and like Substance you can just keep making new emails for the trial version.

Here is what Blender alone can do, anyone can learn how to make something like this.

Level 35

I for one have the tools already from work and other modding projects. And Skyrim, Doom, Fallout and whatnot are doing quite fine even with highly detailed models. Yea, there might not be as many, but it clearly shows that a community can have fun creating stuff with more detail. For me though, its also a lot to do with animations, as I generally avoid animating anything much (and basically stopped creating models for Wc3) due to the terrible import/export process and lack of tools to work with the software I usually use. As such, to an extend having an engine where I can more readily import stuff from newer programs would save time. But still speculation how it goes, I just try to keep a little hope for it :grin:

Blender is incredible for modeling and is definitely on par with Max or Maya. It can even do sculpting to some degree. It is not great and incredibly cumbersome when it comes to texturing and if you are really serious about this, even as a hobby, for 15 dollars a month you can get Substance Painter, THE best texturing software out there. There are many freelancers out there who only pay for Substance and maybe Zbrush but if you don't want to pay 800 dollars for zbrush you can do some pretty great stuff in Blender too...That or just make new emails for the trial version. They won't care since you are making this for free.

I think the new engine additions even supports PBR, which is a HUGE plus.

Yea :smile: I mentioned blender as an example for modeling, not texturing. I have basically all of the Substance tools (though I bought it, dislike paying monthly) and whatever I might need. If I will actually get free time enough to make something with all of that, is unknown, but just adding PBR allows for so much more with little work.

Level 6
I for one have the tools already from work and other modding projects. And Skyrim, Doom, Fallout and whatnot are doing quite fine even with highly detailed models. Yea, there might not be as many, but it clearly shows that a community can have fun creating stuff with more detail. For me though, its also a lot to do with animations, as I generally avoid animating anything much (and basically stopped creating models for Wc3) due to the terrible import/export process and lack of tools to work with the software I usually use. As such, to an extend having an engine where I can more readily import stuff from newer programs would save time. But still speculation how it goes, I just try to keep a little hope for it :grin:

Yea :smile: I mentioned blender as an example for modeling, not texturing. I have basically all of the Substance tools (though I bought it, dislike paying monthly) and whatever I might need. If I will actually get free time enough to make something with all of that, is unknown, but just adding PBR allows for so much more with little work.

Aren't we getting a new model format and therefore better animation tools? The animation workflow is probably completely different due to the complexity of Reforged animations.

As for animations, I have heard good things about this. It is cheap mocap that uses Kinect or PS Eyes.

http://ipisoft.com/

Level 35
Aren't we getting a new model format and therefore better animation tools? The animation workflow is probably completely different due to the complexity of Reforged animations.

As for animations, I have heard good things about this. It is cheap mocap that uses Kinect or PS Eyes.

http://ipisoft.com/

I mean, that is what I hope we do - but haven't heard anything about it myself. I just assume it will, for the same reason as you mention.

Hmm hadn't heard about that specific software, not that I really have problem with animations not related to Wc3 :wink: But pending on how this works, it might very well also be a possible timesaver for Reforged.

Status
Not open for further replies.