• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Warcraft 3 Reforged Leaked Previews

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
I wouldn't mind WC4 being different than WC3. The main problem I have with Reforged is that it looks like a cheap chinese rip off and is exactly what Venombite said it is - a recycled game made with little effort just to cash in on nostalgia.

I think that is a fair assessment for how the game looked last year but it has improved so much since then. It's really shaping up, at least that's what I think. I am not seeing "low effort". Every character that is supposed to have a unique model has one. Even GUL DAN has a unique model and he only appears for like 5 seconds in the game. They could have easily made a recolored warlock but they really did him justice! Look at all the detail in the models, "good detail", as Wtii states:

MrRious

M

MrRious

I think that is a fair assessment for how the game looked last year but it has improved so much since then. It's really shaping up, at least that's what I think. I am not seeing "low effort". Every character that is supposed to have a unique model has one. Even GUL DAN has a unique model and he only appears for like 5 seconds in the game. They could have easily made a recolored warlock but they really did him justice! Look at all the detail in the models, "good detail", as Wtii states:

Orcs and dwarfs actually look good, because they have better proportions. Still, they are overdetailed. Blizz said they won't remake the movies, yet Thrall and Grom look less detailed in the cinematics than in the game.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Think about it, if they made WC4 people would complain it's not enough like WC3. Why not use WC3 Reforged to tell new Warcraft stories? I would love to see a campaign based on the Illidan novel or a Scarlet Crusade campaign...
Custom campaigns. There's no need to recycle material even further. I'd rather see some original stuff instead.
Even GUL DAN has a RECYCLED model
fixed

Point is, Warcraft IV would have sold much, much better and they went for an easy cash-grab instead.

Level 20
Part of the success blizzard has is because they are(were?) so good at making their games visuals distinct and thus recognizable. I am sure the people in charge of reforged had good intentions but obviously are not capable to make the right decisions. Some of the models and icons are really beautiful with a lot of overly smooth and generic looking art in between, especially when it comes to the environment.

Looking at the promising blizzcon 2018 demo i wonder how to fail that bad on the terrain and doodads... just look at the difference in quality of the trees, why go from beautiful to ugly? Its really frustrating cause the potential was so huge.

View attachment 335125
The difference between the two is the one on the left has in-game fog and the one on the right doesn't.

Level 13
My hope is that Warcraft 3 Reforged becomes Warcraft 4 and that we get yearly single player expansion packs with tons of new models and modding capabilities...

Think about it, if they made WC4 people would complain it's not enough like WC3. Why not use WC3 Reforged to tell new Warcraft stories? I would love to see a campaign based on the Illidan novel or a Scarlet Crusade campaign...
WC4 seems very unlikely. RTS games aren't just that popular anymore. And in a time when Blizzard is struggling to survive investing in a new RTS is really unlikely.

However you're hopes will most likely come to fruition. If Reforged sells well, which it will most likely cause of nostalgia, I expect Blizzard to release (a couple of) addons that will give new editor stuff, new models and a new campaign featuring something from WoW lore. I too would actually like that.

Gul'dan is playable in Heroes of the Storm. They already have him, so why wouldn't they just use him.

Level 6
WOW!!! Every random hero has a unique look?! That is EXTREMELY impressive!!!

They are really going all in on this. They can take as much time as they want as far as I am concerned. I really want this to be as good as possible.

Level 6
Those might be for the campaign. Not sure about melee though.
But it won't matter if all of them will have the same paladin spells. It's like cutting trees with different colour leaves.

It's about the variety. Plus, it will be a gold mine for modding. Mix some of the armor pieces, maybe even with some wow pieces.

Level 6
Oh man, I really wish armor looked like those paladin pieces in WoW again. I'm tired of chainsaws on shoulderpads and other crazy shit. THIS is the Warcraft I love!

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Oh man, I really wish armor looked like those paladin pieces in WoW again. I'm tired of chainsaws on shoulderpads and other crazy shit. THIS is the Warcraft I love!
Got to say, it's pretty nifty. They could reduce the volume on the pads, especially, though.

Look how logical plate armour is supposed to look like:

lossy-page1-220px-Rustning%2C_Gustav_Vasa_-_Livrustkammaren_-_32921.tif.jpg
Gothic_late_15th_century_breast_plate_museum_2048x2048.JPG
103032478-an-exhibition-of-15th-century-german-plate-armor-around-the-time-of-late-middle-ages-the-knight-hold.jpg

MrRious

M

MrRious

Plus, it will be a gold mine for modding. Mix some of the armor pieces, maybe even with some wow pieces.

But what about the original models? You'll be able to make as many reforged models as you won't, but they won't have the cartoonish versions.

You know what would get me extremly hyped for WC3 Reforged? New models for the original game.

Level 9
How would the game's future look like without Reforged? Well, not that bright. Let's say that now 30 000 people world-wide in 2018 (I have no clue really how many, but let's say). It would continue to decline and by 2022 it would be less than 10 000. Reforged might have bought the game a few extra precious years. I for one, personally have been returning to the game every couple of years, if I didn't hear about Reforged, who knows when and if I would ever played it again. It basically returned my interest of the game.

Ah, but for many people here the interest was rekindled not by inclusion of HotS models and Christie Golden's brain-vomit, but by improvements to the editor, most of which we already got.
I agree that it will buy Warcraft III a few more years of Blizzard's attention and funds, but other than that... people attracted by shiny models, WoW lore tie-ins and other drivel like that will have no interest for our side of Warcraft III. They will not be part of our community, if anything, they will be rivals. There will be flamewars, there will be conflict. "Shiny new" and "good old" never survive peacefully side by side.

Think about it, if they made WC4 people would complain it's not enough like WC3.

I certainly would CARE for Warcraft 4, because it doesn't bring anything for Warcraft III. In this regard Reforged is actually superior to Warcraft 4.
I'm thankful to Reforged for editor improvements it brought us, but I have no need, use, or want for Reforged itself.

Why not use WC3 Reforged to tell new Warcraft stories? I would love to see a campaign based on the Illidan novel or a Scarlet Crusade campaign...
We've been doing it for ages. What would be new about it?

Level 6
But what about the original models? You'll be able to make as many reforged models as you won't, but they won't have the cartoonish versions.

You know what would get me extremly hyped for WC3 Reforged? New models for the original game.

Hive Workshop has plenty of those already. These new AAA models have lots of pieces that can be combined, even with some more of the down to earth wow models.

Level 9

I would settle for OLD models. Warcraft Alpha had some fantastic models that didn't make it into Beta or final version. Some were recreated, but far from all, and there must have been those we never saw in previews.
Could bring back missing spells and icons too.

Level 6
Ah, but for many people here the interest was rekindled not by inclusion of HotS models and Christie Golden's brain-vomit, but by improvements to the editor, most of which we already got.
I agree that it will buy Warcraft III a few more years of Blizzard's attention and funds, but other than that... people attracted by shiny models, WoW lore tie-ins and other drivel like that will have no interest for our side of Warcraft III. They will not be part of our community, if anything, they will be rivals. There will be flamewars, there will be conflict. "Shiny new" and "good old" never survive peacefully side by side.

Well I happen to like both WC3 and World of Warcraft, the more down to earth part of it in any case. I mean places like Shadowfang Keep, Scholomance and Scarlet Monastery. Even Blackrock mountain has an air of realism to it. I love the fact that they are returning to the stylized realism style in WC3 R. Sure, some of the models are approaching modern WoW-levels of detail but most are rather down to earth, in the warcraft sense at least.

I would settle for OLD models. Warcraft Alpha had some fantastic models that didn't make it into Beta or final version. Some were recreated, but far from all, and there must have been those we never saw in previews.
Could bring back missing spells and icons too.

I actually asked Designer Dave in one of his streams. He said those models were lost because they were not backed up. A real shame.

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 6
Ah yes. Same thing Blizzard said about Vanilla WoW data. Until it became profitable to say otherwise. Suddenly they found all the data.

I think that's quite different. The RPS version of WC3 never came out while vanilla did. I would LOVE to get my hands on those models though. That Frostwyrm was pretty epic. I actually had a dream that I found a leak of that build on a shady website a while ago. No joke.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
They will not be the true fans of the game and they will leave after a few years.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Last edited:
Level 5
The difference between the two is the one on the left has in-game fog and the one on the right doesn't.

No, the environment fog might add a little to this but thats not it. The blizzcon version environment shows that there have been people at work who understood how visual perception works, if you up the overall details (which is the idea of reforged) you have to compensate by lowering the saturation and contrast of the environment to keep the game readable and not make it look too cluttered. Just see what riot games did with summoners rift, thats how to do it.

Blizzard just made some very impactful amateur mistakes here and thats annoying.

Level 6
@deepstrasz

You don't understand. I never said that the Warcraft style is realistic. It's not Kingdom Come Deliverance. However, I think the game works best when it uses a kind of stylized realism. Meaning bold, exagerrated shapes that are still rooted in reality, like this.

warcraft-3-intro-cinematic-knight-580x334.jpg

Also a great example

875929.jpg

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
So your saying that "true" fans of the game cant like those things? Cause I like those things. The new models, don't know what the tie ins will be until I play the campaign
I meant, those which are not keen to modding will not play the game as much and this scene was made over the years due to easy model making and such. With Reforged, aside rips, new content will come slower and possibly not free.

Level 6
This is good

876412.jpg

wow_battle_for_azeroth_warfronts_alliance_plate_armour.jpg

This is bad

latest

transmogrification-warrior-pve-tier-16-lfr-male.jpg

To be quite honest, I am seeing a lot more of the first two pictures.

I meant, those which are not keen to modding will not play the game as much and this scene was made over the years due to easy model making and such. With Reforged, aside rips, new content will come slower and possibly not free.

Look, if I can learn 3D modeling then the talented people over here can too.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Look, if I can learn 3D modeling then the talented people over here can too.
Stop multiposting please. I've asked you several times and even told you on your profile how to edit posts to add new replies.

It's a slower process because of the details and animations for them. I think any of the prestigious modellers here can tell you that.

Yeah, the first WoW picture is nice. The other two are horrendous.

@Trill please, less offensive words. That author is not of such low quality.

I don't know, Edmunson's shoulder pads make his head look too small. I guess they're too big.
I like Halahk's gems, making it look more akin to Judeo-Christian priests in terms of symbolism:
High_Priest.jpg
2015-07-06_152413-600x464-600x464.jpg

These new AAA models have lots of pieces that can be combined, even with some more of the down to earth wow models.
Sometimes one more A isn't the better option
AA battery - Wikipedia
AAA battery - Wikipedia

Last edited:
Level 8
:\ but it's freaking black in RoC andTfT, what the hell... Drek'Thar's wolf is white.
That's a fact. I've seen it with my own eyes

Canon wise tho thralls wolf is white . Just like all of the wolves most of the frostwolf clan use.
This goes all the way back to the Lord of the Clans Novel.
What canon? WoW canon? Excuse me, but we are talking about wc3 here, aren't we? Also who write those novels? People who make games? I doubt that. They only talk how deep they researched the subject they claim to know

It's supposed to be white. it's black in Wc3 classic, and it was a mistake admitted by Blizzard. Thrall's bonded wolf is called Snowsong and is white in fur. It was established in the book Lord of the Clans
Once again warcraft book are evil. They create lore divergence in a first place
I imagine that the original choice to make him black was simply to match with the armor.
visuals are important!

Btw. I REALLY hope Akama won't be changed.
Then you better not check it out

Guldan destroyed orc shaman culture
I have clearly seen guldna with few shamans in the tomb of sargeras

For its time.
Holds up well today for me

The main problem I have with Reforged is that it looks like a cheap chinese rip off
Because it what was intended in the first place, to please the audience who got used to this kind of games due to country's specifics

Level 6
I simply don't see the low effort in this. If this was low effort, they wouldn't be making unique models for every named character. They could have just recolored Uther's model and be done with it. They even made Gul'Dan.

@deepstrasz

Big shoulderpads are a staple of Warcraft, but you are right, it is easy to go overboard, as they often do in modern WoW.

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:
Level 6
Yeah, that's all cool. Well, actually, of Warcraft III. Those on Edmunson are also too wide. I don't know, maybe it's just me but they look really out of place compared to the other paladin model shoulder pads.

I kinda like Edmunson. He looks like he doesn't skip the gym. But you are right, it's almost like they are floating a bit.

The best are Halahk and Dagren imo.

Level 28
I understand the argument about the white wolf not fitting the black/gold armor. It's my hope that with the appropriate Reforged graphics settings it will all look good.

I don't think people would care as much about Thrall if it wasn't for Lord of the Clans... LotC explains a lot about how orcs have formed a bond with their wolves. In my opinion, having this bit of story being reflected in the game, is more important than the visuals.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
I don't think people would care as much about Thrall if it wasn't for Lord of the Clans... LotC explains a lot about how orcs have formed a bond with their wolves. In my opinion, having this bit of story being reflected in the game, is more important than the visuals.
What if we just leave this "retcon" since it didn't matter to Blizz that much retconning more important things over the years?

Drakes look too young, too close to whelps.
Bandits are now Diablo barbarians, nude and stuff.
Cool, I guess, we get a melee no mask beastmaster.
Owlbears are now more parrot than bears.
Warlocks don't have the cape anymore.
Really fond of the swamp beasts as jungle beasts.
Voidwalkers seem to look like paste, not ethereal. They're more like strawberry jelly golems. Hopefully, it's just an texture export issue.
The Forgotten One is funny.
Awesome statue golem.
More like lava granite golem. And it also has vegetation!?
Some harpies should have a more animalic chest-body.
Jailor Kassan looks as if he comes from some ancient barbaric tribe.
All Kobolds follow the cult of Diogenes having a candle melted on their forehead?
Don't remember Mammoths being armoured. Some more variety, also for the kobolds would be nice.
Nerubians are a bit too similar to each other, many having the same kind of armour.
Nether dragons all look like mutant babies.
The Catapult and the Ballista look too similar.
Ogre lords look like they're chaos ogres. Same with the armoured one headed one.
OK, there are more orc warlock models, I guess they're for the neutral orcs?
The Sea Elemental could be more different, it's too similar to the water.
The Siege-War golems are too different now. At least one of them could have had some viking horns for ease of indentification.
The dog really looks like a bulldog. Not sure how medieval that is.
Sylvanas shows too much skin :p compared to original Warcraft III.
OK, the Flesh Golem is a viking instead of the war golem.
Drek'thar is blindfolded? WoW again... At least the melee far seer isn't.
Even Nazgrel has that phallus worshiping wolf armour.
Yay, we have the Messiah Thrall and Snowsong doesn't have stupid armour!

Note, the link that @stein123 put is being updated with more exports.

Mixed, mixed feelings.

Last edited:
Level 14
yall can bitch and whine about the new stuff.

when you can just play the old version anyway.

but this isnt low effort this looks fucking amazing.

red dragon roost

~~ I know people love there precious hive models and cry about how it will clash witht he new style.

The thing is

The new style for reforge is so glorious and varied instead of a bunch of same skin reclors that you could make hundreds of unqieu maps and campaigns with the assets from reforged alone.

Case and point ALL the differne tvariations between the Named Human and Dreadlord heroes with Different models and faces not just BEARD color. or in the case of dreadlords for the campaign. Armor color.

The thing is? For reforged modding hive probably is obsolete atleast on the model making part.

Is that bad? Im not sure if i care if it is or isn't we have had 15 years of content produced for warcraft and the value of these refoged assets will provide heres more from other peoples creations even if just a few of you bitch and moan about the new stuff.

anyway thats my rant take it or leave it.

5O4CoEE.png
\
IGBuSdu.png

Last edited:

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Check out this video of unit animations!
Some stuff seems to be missing.

There's no whirlwind FX on Bladestorm.
Water Elementals look plastic.
The Blood Mage's spell cast animation is too stiff and staccato.
Mirror Image FX seems to be the one from the original game.
Spirit Wolves are not spirits at all.
Sylvanas stand channel animation is also unrefined.
Starfall seems incomplete in what the FX and sound is concerned.
Would be neat if Divine Shield also had an aura FX over the unit's shape. Right now, it's a bit too protoss shield-like.
Didn't quite see the angel in the Resurrection FX.
Blizzard looks low quality maybe because of the video quality or video options chose by the player.
Those feathers or whatnot on Misha are pretty stiff and make the bear look like the StarCraft roach.
OK, Stampede is WiP.
They could make a different splat FX for War Stomp or Thunder Clap.
Serpent Wards look rad.
The alchemist ogre doesn't change skin colour anymore? At least make its eyes and veins pump purple.
The tornado look isn't that much different, not really realistic or HD.
I guess they could've made a better morph animation for the tinker.
Volcano is horrible. It's like a volcano spawning and throwing out other volcanoes instead of rocks. And at the end it levitates...

anyway thats my rant take it or leave it.
Leave it, obviously. Reforged modding can only go so far, lol. It won't be as fast paced in what custom resources are concerned.

More on models: Warcraft III Reforged Models

@MasterBlaster temptresses are pretty nude.
Doom Guards are WoW ugly.
Kil'jaeden has wings... :(
Archimonde isn't too beautiful either. The character looked awesome in the short film about Dalaran. At least the model doesn't have wings.
Felguards have a tiny head.
Infernals look WoW style... hopefully it's more like the one in the RoC intro.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.