• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Voice Acting Contest #2 - Custom Unit Sound-sets

Status
Not open for further replies.
the%20hive%20workshop.png

WarCraft_Samwise099c.jpg

voice%20acting.png
contest.png
number.png
2.png

Custom Unit Soundsets
Contestants are to create a complete sound set to fit a custom unit model.

contest%20rules%20and%20conditions.png

• Contestants must make an original sound set for a custom unit model (skins will not be allowed, sorry) that is currently approved on either the Hive Workshop or Warcraft 3 Campaigns.
  • No submission may violate any of the site rules.
  • Contestants may use any tools and software that they legitimately own.
  • Submissions must be MP3 format. Please use a bitrate of at least 128Kbps.
    • Yes we know soundsets are normally in wav but for the sake of bandwidth these must be mp3. :p
  • Sound effects are allowed, but the majority of the entry must be spoken word.
  • Entries, at minimum, must contain the following:
    • 1 Ready
    • 3 Yes
    • 3 Yes Attack
    • 3 What
    • 2 Pissed
    • 1 Death
    • Yourself stating your username, the name of the model, and that this is your submission for the Voice Acting Contest #2.
      Example: "Hi, this is shamanyouranus, and this is my entry for the second voice acting contest, and the model I am using is ______."
      This audio file is required to prevent against rips and such, so it should sound just like the rest of your entry. Entries without this audio file will be disqualified, so DON'T FORGET!
  • These next ones are important:
    • To preserve anonymity, posts containing WIPs or compromising information about an entry will not be allowed. Contestants who reveal their entry will be disqualified.
    • Final entries are to be uploaded to the Pastebin and sent to Pyritie in a private message titled "Voice Acting Contest Submission." When uploading to the Pastebin, please check the "Long Time" box.
    • In your final entry (sent to Pyritie), you must include your submission and a link to the corresponding unit model.

Basically the whole point of this contest is to be anonymous. When the poll starts, Samuraid will put up a page where you can vote for your entry of choice. The entry names and positions are randomised with each page reload. This system worked well for the last voice acting contest so that's why we're doing it again :D

prizes.png

• First Place: 50 reputation points and your entry on an award icon
  • Second Place: 35 reputation points and an award icon
  • Third Place: 20 reputation points and an award icon

judges.png

• If you would like to judge the contest simply make a post in this thread stating so.
contest%20judging%20and%20voting.png

Creativity
How interesting is the voice? How well does it fit the model?/10

Quality
How well are effects and filters, if any, used? Is there constant popping or static?/10

Script
How well do the lines fit the model? Are the things it says clever, or just generic?/10
  • 65 % of the winner shall be determined by the contest's appointed judge(s).
  • 35 % of the winner shall be determined by the results of an anonymous poll.

contest%20dates%20and%20deadline.png

• The contest shall begin on 17th March 2010 and conclude on 23:59, April 21, GMT

Last edited:
Voice acting contests are probably one of the easiest to make anonymous, and really anonymous polls are the best since it eliminates pretty much all bias :D

ah, that's a good reason :p

Well, I don't enter, because my voice isn't that good and I don't have any
programs to make something special out of my voice.
So I'll wait for some nice entries :D

Level 28
Wow, this actually fits really well with the hero contest #3... (create an avatar of yourself + give it a sound: 2 contest in 1 xD).
I guess it's allowed, since both entries can still be seperated and do not break any rules (unless they really do break any rules of course ^^).

1 month... should be enough, though I have no idea whether I will enter or not.

Level 28
But wouldn't that be a possibility to ruin the 'Proof it's yours by recording your name and stuff' recording? Or should that be effect enhanced as well?
Rules said:
This audio file is required to prevent against rips and such, so it should sound just like the rest of your entry.
It HAS to sound like the rest of the entry (so you have to add the effects on it).

I would join but my english is so damn bad :p So I don't join. Good luck to everyone who enters.

You could add accent! like trolls have Jamaican accent you could to a model with a cool accent from where your from! :D Don't let poor English stop you! English is the only language that I know and I failed it in high school so don't use that as an excuse xD

someone should make one for my goblin model :p if it gets approved... idk why it isn't yet...

EDIT: Do we submit a PM saying what unit and etc. at the end? Or..?
Whenever your final entry is done, yeah

EDIT2: Doesn't this ruin the point of being anonymous?

Nope, since the only people hearing that are me and possibly Samuraid. :p And I'm not judging.

Level 9
I have been trying to find the soundsets that were submitted in the first voice acting contest to get an idea of what I should look forward to in terms of competition, but alas, the files don't exist ):

Level 31
Hrmm... i like the idea of posting WIPS and getting comments/criticism, but i also like the idea of staying anonymous. But we dont want 50 pyritie posts. Why dont we have a set date where you can submit your WIPS to pyritie so he can post them. Sort of like a checkpoint in the contest.

:D

This here is a good idea.
Also thinking I might join in on this.

Level 2
Do the sound effects have to be created by us to or can we use assets from programs or other places?

(Sound effect would not replace a voice just accompany it.)

Level 5
I might get involved.....although for some reason my voice sounds retarded on the mike (and on the phone, i've noticed)....

I might get involved.....although for some reason my voice sounds retarded on the mike (and on the phone, i've noticed)....

That's due to either a bad sound card or a bad mic.

Also your head creates resonance so when you hear your own voice as you speak, it's not necessarily the same as what other people hear

Level 26
:/ meh, for the sake of simplicity, shaman thinks that it should just be custom models. A lot of custom skins are remakes of what the model was suppose to be or are too similar "like from night elf to wood nymph" or from "rifleman to marine".... it would be easier for everyone if it was just custom models.

before you ask.... no, we can not go through the process of asking if a certain texture would be considered unique enough to be in the contest because that would defeat the purpose of anonymity.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.