• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Voice Acting Contest #2 - Results

Status
Not open for further replies.
the%20hive%20workshop.png

WarCraft_Samwise099c.jpg

voice%20acting.png
contest.png
number.png
2.png

results.png

Custom Unit Soundsets
Contestants are to create a complete sound set to fit a custom unit model.

Our contestants were:
Pharaoh_ - Dark Angel
Warhog - Fel Orc Rampager
shamanyouranus - Nerubian Senator
Trax. - Undead Knight

contest%20judging.png

Fel Orc Rampager

Creativity Score 8/10
You captured the tone of a fel orc voice very effectively.
The 'death' sound seemed a bit weak on the delivery.
A few of the lines could have used a bit more variation of tone or added personality.
Even so, good work overall.

Quality Score 7/10
The audio itself is clear, however, some of the lines are difficult to understand.
Be sure to enunciate as clearly as possible. (Granted, this is harder to do when making the guttural orc voice.)

Script Score 8/10
Your choice of lines fulfilled the contest requirements.
A few of the lines felt slightly generic.
Overall, however, you picked a set of lines very suitable for a fel orc.

Nerubian Senator

Creativity Score 9/10
Underneath the heavy vocal effect (see the "Quality" score section), you excellently portrayed a Nerubian.
A few of the especially perturbed and humorous lines showed emotion and a very compelling mood for your character.
You might improve the performance by delivering a some of the lines a tiny bit faster.

Quality Score 6/10
Your delivery of lines was clear and easy to understand, however, the effect itself was very overbearing.
Diminishing the level of the vocal effect would allow the nuances of your performance to stand out.
The audio level clipped in a a number of places.

Script Score 10/10
The selection of lines fit the character perfectly, employing a fine blend of natural phrases with some very clever humor.
Well done!

Dark Angel

Creativity Score 9/10
Your performance captured a fantastic blend of the dark yet flirtatious side of the character.
Great use of sound effects.
Only the 'death' sound seemed slightly out of place and contrived.
Overall, you did a great job.

Quality Score 7/10
The vocal effect produced a very ethereal tone, one that fit the character well.
As a suggestion, you should diminish the overall level of the effect slightly so that your voice is more discernible.
A few of the lines were difficult to understand.
The audio level clipped/distorted in a few places.

Script Score 9/10
You choice of lines fulfilled and exceeded the contest requirements.
The selection of lines fit the character, employing a fine blend of natural phrases with a touch of humor.
The choice of words in a few of the lines seemed slightly awkward, but not enough to diminish the overall feel of the character.

Undead Knight

Creativity Score 8/10
You captured the right feel for this character, a very resolute yet bitter and perturbed personality.
Many of the lines were excellently delivered and painted a very vivid demeanor, especially the 'death' sound.
A few of the lines might have been improved with a bit more variation of tone and emotion, but overall, you did fine work.

Quality Score 8/10
The vocal effect complemented your voice and delivered a very foreboding and dark tone.
As a suggestion, you might tone down the trailing effect that decays after you finish speaking. (This is a minor nitpick, and could easily be fixed by the audio editor before insertion into the game.)
Your delivery of lines was clear and easy to understand.
The audio quality remained acceptable.

Script Score 8/10
Your choice of lines fulfilled the contest requirements.
The selection of lines fits the character well and seems very reminiscent of what a Blizzard-created character would say.
A few of the lines felt slightly generic. A character of this variety generally allows you to use a perfectly serious line one moment, and a completely clever or humorous line the next, without seeming awkward. It would add even more to the character to take advantage of this opportunity.

Well, here's the judging, this contest was stupid, only 4 entries is a fail contest. But here's hoping that the next voice acting contest will have more entries. Overall the 4 entries we had were.... well, usable. But then again, its not like they had much competition.

At any rate, good luck to all participants and I hope to see you again in the next contest. Now, lets get some results up and move on!

:FEL ORC RAMPAGER:

Creativity____ 4/10
Quality______ 2/10
Script_______ 4/10

Not creative at all, everyone expects an orc to have a deep gruff voice like this. I was disappointed in the quality of this entry. For professional voice acting, pronunciation and inflection are the keys to success. So, unless this orc was hit in the jaw and over the head one two many times, i seriously doubt that he would lisp this severely. I couldn't quite make out what he was trying to say all the time. That laugh at the end sounds more like a cough. I can imagine, since talking like that would probably lacerate your throat. As for the dialogue. Most of it was cliche "ima kill you and eat you roar blahblah blood"... and the rest was unintelligible.

Total_______ 10/30

:Dark Angel:

Creativity____ 7/10
Quality______ 8/10
Script_______ 7/10

I was pretty impressed with this one, all things considered. But overall, some good voice acting. Good use of filters. But im not sure how well it fits the model. The model looks more like an older woman/hag, while the voice sounds young.... but whatever. It actually sounds a lot like a cross between the Darklady and Andromeda from HoN. Dialogue was good, pretty unique. For some reason the last two or three clips sound very different from the rest of the entry. deeper voice or different filter. But good job on this one

Total_______ 22/30

:NERUBIAN SENATOR:

Creativity____ 5/10
Quality______ 6/10
Script_______ 8/10

Holy crap, I don't know what filter you used, but the bass on that audio was ear-rape. The voice/filter wasn't particularly creative, Anub'arak and Pestillence (HoN) did the beetle voice first and better... but this entry was still fairly well done, considering. As for the dialogue. The first few clips, (the "what"s and the "yes"s) were very boring, cliched and unimaginative. But the "pissed" audio clips were pretty clever and funny. Its too bad that the other entries didn't try to be funny with the "pissed" soundsets as well. Because it really gave this entry more character.

Total_______ 19/30

:UNDEAD KNIGHT:

Creativity____ 2/10
Quality______ 7/10
Script_______ 5/10

Sooo.... its a very good protoss voice. I have no clue what the background noise is "supposed" to be, but it sounds like beeping or tinkling crystals or something.... lending credence to the "protoss voice" idea. The dialogue itself is pretty cliche. Ya, we get it, he's angry, he'll eat you, blahblahboring. But other than the fact that it doesn't fit the model at all.... it is pretty well done.

Total_______ 14/30

((Samuraid's judging + anarchianbedlam's Judging)*(5/3)*0.65) + ((Votes / Total Votes)*35) = Result

Warhog: ((23 + 10)*(5/3)*0.65) + ((41 / 96)*35) = 50.6979167
Pharaoh_: ((25 + 22)*(5/3)*0.65) + ((90 / 96)*35) = 83.7291667
Trax.: ((24 + 14)*(5/3)*0.65) + ((36 / 96)*35) = 54.2916667
shamanyouranus: ((25 + 19)*(5/3)*0.65) + ((25 / 96)*35) = 56.78125

voice%20acting%202%20winners.png

Contest | Poll

Attachments

• warhog.rar
    558.3 KB · Views: 190
  • pharaoh_.zip
    1.2 MB · Views: 346
  • shamanyouranus.zip
    1.2 MB · Views: 223
  • trax.zip
    813.2 KB · Views: 200
I feel a little gay now knowing Pharoah (a man) did the dark angel voice that turned me on a bit :/ congrats everyone.

It was a female imitation, so don't feel bad :p
[But still, my bed is open for anything]
^That was a bad joke.

It will be nice if we get to see newcomers in the next contest, I mean it was so fun doing it! Creative from every aspect; you give life to a model, how great is that? :)

Level 26
lol trax. you are such a little drama queen. Sure a lot of people could have done better, the problem was time. Hopefully in this next voice acting contest there will be more entries since it's summertime and people usually have more free time in summer. Good job to the winners i suppose.... all 3 out of 4 of them :/

Level 13
Congratz everyone, especially Pharaoh_.

I think the next voice acting contest should be made pretty soon before the amount and quality of submissions is forgotten again. And if that happens no one dares to join because they fear that they aren't good enough.

Level 5
I'm curious on which programs each contest choose to edit their voice. I'm guessing most used audacity.

Status
Not open for further replies.