• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Voice Acting Contest #3 - Racial Warning Set

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 26

the%20hive%20workshop.png

don-lafontaine-300x237.jpg

voice%20acting.png
contest.png
number.png
3.png

RACIAL WARNING SET
Contestants must create a complete soundset to replace the standard wc3 racial warnings (i.e. "we need more gold", "we're under attack", etc)

contest%20rules%20and%20conditions.png

• Contestants must make an original sound set to replace the Ingame Racial Warnings (i.e. "we need more gold" "we're under attack" etc)
  • No submission may violate any of the site rules.
  • Contestants may use any tools and software that they legitimately own.
  • Submissions must be MP3 format. Please use a bitrate of at least 128Kbps.
    • Yes we know soundsets are normally in .wav format but for the sake of bandwidth these must be mp3. :p
  • Sound effects are allowed, but the majority of the entry must be spoken word.
  • Entries, at minimum, must contain the following 15 separate Mp3 files
    • We are being attacked
    • Our buildings are being attacked
    • Need more Lumber
    • Need more Gold
    • Need more Food
    • Need more Mana
    • Full Inventory
    • Hero is Dead
    • Gold Mine Low
    • Gold Mine Collapsed
    • Ally is being Attacked
    • Ally's buildings are being attacked
    • Ally's Hero Dead
    • You can not build there
    • Yourself stating your username, the name of the model, and that this is your submission for the Voice Acting Contest #3.
      Example: "Hi, this is shamanyouranus, and this is my entry for the Third voice acting contest, this is a racial warning set for _______."
      This audio file is required to prevent against rips and such, so it should sound just like the rest of your entry. Entries without this audio file will be disqualified, so DON'T FORGET!

[*] These next ones are important:
    • To preserve anonymity, posts containing WIPs or compromising information about an entry will not be allowed. Contestants who reveal their entry will be disqualified.
    • Final entries are to be uploaded to the Pastebin and sent to Pyritie in a private message titled "Voice Acting Contest Submission." When uploading to the Pastebin, please check the "Long Time" box.

Basically the whole point of this contest is to be anonymous. When the poll starts, an admin will put up a page where you can vote for your entry of choice. The entry names and positions are randomized with each page reload. This system worked well for the last voice acting contest so that's why we're doing it again

prizes.png

• First Place: 50 reputation points and your entry on an award icon.
  • Second Place: 35 reputation points and an award icon
  • Third Place: 20 reputation points and an award icon

judges.png

If you would like to judge the contest simply make a post in this thread stating so. Preferably a user who is known to judge objectively, a background in broadcasting, acting, or a familiarity with audio programs would be great too (^^)

JUDGE 1
JUDGE 2

contest%20judging%20and%20voting.png

Creativity
Is the dialogue unique and interesting? Or did the contestant just repeat the ingame warnings? 00/10
Quality How well are effects and filters, if any, used? Do you hear any static? Are there any "plosive" sounds? (meaning popping P's) or siblance? (meaning snake-sounding S's) 00/20
Script How well do the lines fit the race? Are the things it says clever, or just generic? Is the warning phrased in a manner that grabs your attention without being too wordy?00/20

• 65 % of the winner shall be determined by the contest's appointed judge(s).
  • 35 % of the winner shall be determined by the results of an anonymous poll.

contest%20dates%20and%20deadline.png

The contest shall begin on 16 April 2011 and conclude on 31 May 2011, GMT
entries.png

I will list the participants here as they enter

Participant
Status
Shamanyouranus Joined, working
Anarchianbedlam Joined, working
amargaard Joined, working
xiliger Joined, working
jaret Joined, working
Wazzz might join, looking for program
Grey Nightmate joined, working
Trillium joined, working
Numerion joined, working
rpgman509 Complete
Contestant 11
Contestant 12
Contestant 13
Contestant 14
Contestant 42

PROGRAMS
If you want to use AUDACITY (a great, free audio editor) then you will need an encoder called "Lame_enc.dll" to encode your audio to an mp3 format.

here's the file for you guys
View attachment audacity_LAME_encoder for mp3.rar

simply unzip it somewhere on your computer and when you click "export to mp3" under the audacity "file" menu, simply select the file.
Have fun you guys :D

Last edited:
Level 10
If I can record this without any fuzz, I'll be in.

EDIT: Do the entries need to be to the word correct, or can you add little twists, for example: say Mr. Goblin enters, Goblins: We need more shinies!

Level 15
must the races be the original four races, our can we pick any race we'd like (e.g. custom races)?

tbh, custom races would benefit most from this contest.

Yea i need 5k post and 1k rep...
You could atleast said "thanks for your interest in the contest though."

Reputation amount and post count is not the way to identify someone as an expert, but just by stating that you are familiar with those effects doesn't make you an expert either. Well, don't misjudge the "expert" word, I mean someone capable of judging.
You can supply the host with some sample files maybe to prove yourself :)

Level 3

... Rep and Posts really don't make the difference. As you see, anarchianbedlam is a Moderator, but he has 1600 posts, and 1100 rep. However, Deolrin has 5200 posts, and 1200 rep, but she's just a regular user. (Look at the Peon icon above her avatar, and the raider icon above anarchianbedlam's.) It's all about qualification, and professionalism.
It's how you present yourself. Your statement didn't really present you as qualified to judge. I mean, would you let someone judge you, simply because they knew what software you were using? Or on the skill of your voice acting, and how professionally you presented yourself?
:vw_unimpressed:

Level 26
Dude.
Just being familiar with some voice distorting program's "Darth Vader and Barbie Girl" effects doesn't really make you a good candidate to judge. :/
Get over yourself, they don't even have to say anything to you.

...Especially with your 'qualifications'... they don't exactly promote yourself...

Both of you play nice with the other children

Thank you for your interest in the contest, feel free to join as a contestant. But for judges, the main caveat we would like to see is "proof of objective judging" and generally speaking, new users havent been active long enough to do that. Prior judges from other contests or helpful, active people in the community are just the logical choice for a good judge.

By the way, I need confirmation from the host; a) do the voice outs have to fit the original races or can we invent a race of our own (with a description of it handed in)? and b) can we alter the default racial lines (each race has its own lines anyway)?

a) Sure, as long as you have a description of what it's suppose to be, feel free to get a little creative
b) facepalm, no fucking shit. that's the entire point of this. MAKE UP NEW, ORIGINAL, DIALOGUE. if you just reuse the old dialogue, you'll get 0 points on creativity.

EDIT: Do the entries need to be to the word correct, or can you add little twists, for example: say Mr. Goblin enters, Goblins: We need more shinies!
That is a tricky question.... Since this is technically an english-only website, I would prefer it if all the entries were written in proper english, grammar intact and all that. HOWEVER, since these are racial warnings and are mostly comprised of fragment sentences anyway. We will allow euphemisms and certain speech patterns. AS LONG as it fits the intended theme/description given. (e.g. a pirate theme that says "arr, avast, yo ho") (e.g. cowboy theme that says "howdy, y'all, i reckon" ) (e.g. Russain theme that replaces all the "v" sounds with "w" sounds) AND SO ON.

but we dont want to see people trying to justify their sloppy grammar and articulation by saying "i meant it to sound like that"
(like an orc with a heavy lisp saying shit like "someone set up us the bomb", "all your base are belong to us" etc)

Last edited:
Level 49
o.o... I don't remember putting "she's" in bold... I just said 'she' because the avatar was a chick... *shrug*. >_>

I'm a guy.
My avatar is a 'she' because Guardians are just that awesome. :p
I'll revert back to my troll avatar after a while either way.

As for the actual contest; I'm getting Audacity, so I might participate... Thanks to Wherewolf for bringing it back to my mind, either way! I used it in the past and it's a great program.

Remember people, having ears isn't the only qualification for being a judge.

If you want to judge you should:
-Be familiar with the process (have voice acted before in a project)
-Be able to provide examples of something you've done in the past
-Have past experience manipulating audio

That is a tricky question.... Since this is technically an english-only website, I would prefer it if all the entries were written in proper english, grammar intact and all that. HOWEVER, since these are racial warnings and are mostly comprised of fragment sentences anyway. We will allow euphemisms and certain speech patterns. AS LONG as it fits the intended theme/description given. (e.g. a pirate theme that says "arr, avast, yo ho") (e.g. cowboy theme that says "howdy, y'all, i reckon" ) (e.g. Russain theme that replaces all the "v" sounds with "w" sounds) AND SO ON.

but we dont want to see people trying to justify their sloppy grammar and articulation by saying "i meant it to sound like that"
(like an orc with a heavy lisp saying shit like "someone set up us the bomb", "all your base are belong to us" etc)

Many races in the game intentionally have bad grammar, it'd only be natural for the warnings to reflect this - like you wouldn't expect an ogre ("What we do now?") to speak in perfect English - there's got to be a way to differentiate between what's done on purpose and what isn't.

Level 3
Remember people, having ears isn't the only qualification for being a judge.

If you want to judge you should:
-Be familiar with the process (have voice acted before in a project)
-Be able to provide examples of something you've done in the past
-Have past experience manipulating audio

Many races in the game intentionally have bad grammar, it'd only be natural for the warnings to reflect this - like you wouldn't expect an ogre ("What we do now?") to speak in perfect English - there's got to be a way to differentiate between what's done on purpose and what isn't.

Yes, there is. For grammar, simply look into the lores of these creatures. And if this particular creature is a WC specific race, use their version of that creature's lore. For example, with the ogre, since they are typically dim-witted, with barely any english skills, you can assume they'd only use the most rudimentary grammar, like your example "What we do now?". And, with elves, they are highly intelligent, and have been proven to be very skilled with other languages, you can assume they'll have proper grammar, "Milord, what would you have me do?".

Level 26
Is there a fucking echo in here? I already said we would accept the euphemisms and certain speech patterns (like an ogre's shitty grammar) "AS LONG AS IT FITS THE THEME/DESCRIPTION.

but then i dont want people trying to justify sloppiness or laziness with that excuse either.
ALSO, here's a picture of squidward to emphasize my point since debodelrin said i needed better visual aids.
squadwad.jpg

Last edited:
Level 20
OMFG. YES. ACCENTS. ALLOWED.

AS LONG as it fits the intended theme/description given. (e.g. a pirate theme that says "arr, avast, yo ho") (e.g. cowboy theme that says "howdy, y'all, i reckon" ) (e.g. Russain theme that replaces all the "v" sounds with "w" sounds) AND SO ON.

Might actually enter =D
Just for giggles.

Status
Not open for further replies.