• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Terraining Contest #4 - Construction

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 18
WIP, I gota fix some visibility issues that I just noticed.

Attachments

• WIP1.jpeg
    WIP1.jpeg
    656 KB · Views: 170
Level 18
Meh. I don't like it. The trees are kinda shitty looking, the transition to the background is really bad, and the evil doom lord needs more life. It looks dull, boring and expressionless right now. Like a poorly made statue.

Orly? I find it funny that I try to make a terrain more like your type of terrains and I get this critique. Well, more of an opinion. A critique has helpful suggestions. So do you have any of those?

It seems like you are just trying to pay me back or something for 'bashing' your terrain. I was only saying to not give credit where it is not due and that it is unoriginal. And basically the only helpful suggestion for lack of originality is a brand new idea. But I'd appreciate some helpful critique rather than saying it's shitty. Especially when the trees look like yours.

Last edited:
Level 10
I think in order to secure my vote there needs to be more emphasis on the creature. Yea, it's in the background, and I understand you did construct but I think if we could see more than just what looks like a shadow of him, it'd be a lot better.

Level 17
Meh, I kinda liked the idea of having a background battle thing. It's rly more original then stuf made out of arches and stuf like that. Everybody can make stuf out of arches. :p

Sure it would be nice to see more of it, but atleast give the guy some credit for owning people that make stuf out of arches. :p

2-P

2-P

Level 8
Orly? I find it funny that I try to make a terrain more like your type of terrains and I get this critique. Well, more of an opinion. A critique has helpful suggestions. So do you have any of those?

It seems like you are just trying to pay me back or something for 'bashing' your terrain. I was only saying to not give credit where it is not due and that it is unoriginal. And basically the only helpful suggestion for lack of originality is a brand new idea. But I'd appreciate some helpful critique rather than saying it's shitty. Especially when the trees look like yours.
Actually I agree with Void, though you're right about the critique point, Void's post is hardly helpful if you don't know what he thought while posting it.
So I'll just pick up on Void's post and try to go into detail. Just maybe we even thought the same. :)

The trees are kinda shitty looking
I don't see anything wrong with the trees in the background. The branches of the two in the front though look very unnatural. Such large branches don't grow so close to the ground and the shrub at their end is really awkward. Makes them look more like mini trees.

the transition to the background is really bad
That's the fault of the large hill in the middle. He hides the entire area in front of the city. You don't need to remove the entire hill, but I suggest you to lower at least the left part of it.

and the evil doom lord needs more life. It looks dull, boring and expressionless right now. Like a poorly made statue.
All those flaws are caused by his posture. He looks... well, retarded. It looks like he's playing domino with the buildings or something, a very sympathetic demon. :)
But he shouldn't be like that! The white fog and the sunny day are cool, but he fits way too much into the whole scene. Maybe more fire? Or give him a red aura? He sure needs something to stand out.

Level 18
Okay, this has been brought up a lot, what would be a 'good' posture, just draw me some MS paint like gobby has. But I really couldn't find any good reference pics.

As for everything else, it should be pretty easy to fix. Thanks for the help 2-P. Will you be entering this compo?

EDIT: A quick crap paintover of what ima do. Purple is like him being attacked, the orangeish in his rib areas will be his molten core, and the yellow is like lava cracks which will be all over. Plus I will bring him closer in.

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    212.8 KB · Views: 162
Last edited:
Okay, this has been brought up a lot, what would be a 'good' posture, just draw me some MS paint like gobby has. But I really couldn't find any good reference pics.

As for everything else, it should be pretty easy to fix. Thanks for the help 2-P. Will you be entering this compo?

EDIT: A quick crap paintover of what ima do. Purple is like him being attacked, the orangeish in his rib areas will be his molten core, and the yellow is like lava cracks which will be all over. Plus I will bring him closer in.

Well, never think of that! Shrubs + World Tree = Good Tree

Level 36

Nono, the trees don't look like mine at all. And you know I only ever point out negative shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.