• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Terraining Contest #22 - Dualism

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
Look, I've just read that it has to be SD (can anyone tell me why). However, I've been working this piece and wanted to share it. I might consider working on an SD version.

yqAMnKU.jpg

A reminder this would have been a work in progress and there are a few things I would have liked to have worked on.

Look, I've just read that it has to be SD (can anyone tell me why).
Yeah, requirement for SD is rather silly since it does not matter for this kind of contest.
Probably for the sake of being consistent with the light environment and general quality of the available assets. It does matter since Reforged models are a lot higher quality, and allows for proper shadows and something called PBR textures. These things makes a world of difference.

Also if, in your eyes, it doesn't matter then using SD should be no problem.

Level 29
Look, I've just read that it has to be SD (can anyone tell me why). However, I've been working this piece and wanted to share it. I might consider working on an SD version.

yqAMnKU.jpg

A reminder this would have been a work in progress and there are a few things I would have liked to have worked on.
Yeah, requirement for SD is rather silly since it does not matter for this kind of contest.

Terraining Contest #22 [Reforged or Classic]

there was a previous discussion, and yes the main problem is hd has better quality over sd, so to judge the doodad quality use, round shapes , sharp shapes, ligthining effects, terraining contest must be done in sd or hd, but it seems imposible to make it both. sd was selected to respect the 21 trayectory,
and also if by chance a scenic terrainer is still using old version of the editor (like me).
this contest was made to keep the scenic contest culture alive to at least 1 per year.

please do it on sd.

Level 29
That's still not my name.

awsome!!
when I designed one of the ideas for this contest, I put violet energy so this type of designs could be done. I am really glad to see this execution

Your stairway lies on the whispering wind?

I'm loving this, Flabbergasted. :thumbs_up:

Respect the name of FladderMustang:grin:

Posting a third WIP, changed the scene up a bit;

This is not my final entry.

if you can put a lava waterfall somehow between the rocks in theleft

would be awsome.
nice fog use.

how does one actually enter this competition, do u just post a WIP and that's that.

yes the host will see your wip and add you to the participants list, remember to work on sd graphics, and very recommended the utm 4.0 tool.

Attachments

• upload_2020-11-5_11-47-36.png
    upload_2020-11-5_11-47-36.png
    252.2 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
Level 29
As a result, all models must be SD and they must not be created during the competition, that is, they must be available... This should be clear. But in the next contests, we need more will, and then....

to make the life easier, the utm 4.0 comes with a lot of doodads all in sd because it was made far before reforged. users limit to download the utm and alter the doodads of the pack. I dont like much to waste time seaching in the doodads pool. the utm already brings a lot of stuff.

I am not sure how would look a reforged model in sd, probably blurry. XD, so I dont think someone will try that.
from the 183 reforged models submited, almost all are units, heroes, and buildings, there are some few doodads here and there but nothing outstanding to be used yet. atm the reforged models are for altered melee maps, not scenic designs.

if there is any doubt about someone not using sd, you can always ask for the map file to check to be sure.

"we need more will, and then... eh what? willpower?, and then... what?, sorry unfinished line

Last edited:
Submitting my final entry;

Doom Castle
(Yeah I know the name is shit, I didn't really put any effort into naming, but fuck it).

Elements; Fire + Lightning

screenshot_1-png.367641

External resources used:

Modified models are attached.

• The fel bat can be found in the ported models section, uploaded by me. I removed all its animations except "stand", then made stand have identical frames to make it stationary. Then I desaturated its textures, and put textures from the Soulcairn pack over the bat textures with 60% transparency to make it adopt the colors of the castle.
  • The dragon is just a random wow dragon that was found on Warcraft III underground. Its animations are removed, and the frames in its stand animation have been made identical.
  • The sun symbol is just a piece of armor found on a wow model. I deleted the unit geosets, and then centered the sun symbol and made all frames in the stand animation identical.
  • I removed a particle emitter from the red crystal lamp.
  • I changed the texture of the chain lightning target effect so it's red instead of blue.
  • I changed the hue of the textures in the banner. The actual banners have been uploaded by me in a pastebin and linked here.
  • The textures of some of B2M's and oGre_'s models have been changed to the same as in the soulcairn pack.
  • oGre_'s lava models have been retextured.
  • LongBowMan's spire rock models have been retextured.

Attaching the actual map here. It contains heaps of resouces so the file size is quite big. To see the same angle as in the screenshot simply go to the cameras section in the palette, double click the "Magic Camera" camera, select the doodad section in the palette to make the camera snap above ground, hold CTRL and scroll down to remove the black stuff, then click "V" to see the in game view.

Previous WIPs;
full

full

full

Attachments

• Screenshot_1.png
    Screenshot_1.png
    5.3 MB · Views: 805
  • Doom Castle.w3x
    62.6 MB · Views: 125
  • Custom Resources.rar
    15.8 MB · Views: 111
Last edited:
Submitting my final entry;

Doom Castle
(Yeah I know the name is shit, I didn't really put any effort into naming, but fuck it).

Elements; Fire + Lightning

screenshot_1-png.367641

External resources used:

Modified models are attached.

• The fel bat can be found in the ported models section, uploaded by me. I removed all its animations except "stand", then made stand have identical frames to make it stationary. Then I desaturated its textures, and put textures from the Soulcairn pack over the bat textures with 60% transparency to make it adopt the colors of the castle.
  • The dragon is just a random wow dragon that was found on Warcraft III underground. Its animations are removed, and the frames in its stand animation have been made identical.
  • The sun symbol is just a piece of armor found on a wow model. I deleted the unit geosets, and then centered the sun symbol and made all frames in the stand animation identical.
  • I removed a particle emitter from the red crystal lamp.
  • I changed the texture of the chain lightning target effect so it's red instead of blue.
  • I changed the hue of the textures in the banner. The actual banners have been uploaded by me in a pastebin and linked here.
  • The textures of some of B2M's and oGre_'s models have been changed to the same as in the soulcairn pack.
  • oGre_'s lava models have been retextured.
  • LongBowMan's spire rock models have been retextured.

Attaching the actual map here. It contains heaps of resouces so the file size is quite big. To see the same angle as in the screenshot simply go to the cameras section in the palette, double click the "Magic Camera" camera, select the doodad section in the palette to make the camera snap above ground, hold CTRL and scroll down to remove the black stuff, then click "V" to see the in game view.

Previous WIPs;
full

full

full
For some reason the map gives me this error:
"-Level Info data missing or invalid."

Tested both on my 1.30.1 and 1.27.1 editor versions.

Level 35
Also it's been four years since I did one of these, pretty much to the day.

Shit.

That makes me feel weirdly old.

I love the retro moria doodad choice, it almost seems familiar somehow. My only two gripes with it are the relatively bland background and that I feel the framing could be better.

Alright I did take another crack at the lighting. And switched up some other stuff too. Better or worse?

Did you post that while I was writing the text above this on purpose? Wizard.

Certainly better, lighting is swell now, but somehow I want you to bring back the other tree to contrast the background lighting, try removing the other one instead and fool around with the scaling a bit?

Last edited:
Level 48
Alright I did take another crack at the lighting. And switched up some other stuff too. Better or worse?

View attachment 367868

Personally I liked the old composition better. It was less busy and the focus was better - the foreground tree/cube island feels particularly absent from your latest version. I believe you could strike a better balance between detail and a strong composition.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
Been playing with the idea of adding something to the background on the lower right side. So far, I've got shit. Ideas?

Elements and entry name, please?
I'm sorry, I forgot to reply to this. The elements are nature and lightning. The idea was -- loosely, and retardedly -- lightning powered botany. THAT'S WHY THEY'RE ON ELEVATED PLATFORMS, SEE?!.. I honestly forgot that naming was a thing we did too, so I may as well crowdsource that. I was never good with that either way. What should I call the sucker?

I want you to bring back the other tree to contrast the background lighting, try removing the other one instead and fool around with the scaling a bit?
Could maybe give it a try and see what sticks. I definitely don't hate the idea of making the contrast between foreground and background clearer.

Personally I liked the old composition better. It was less busy and the focus was better - the foreground tree/cube island feels particularly absent from your latest version. I believe you could strike a better balance between detail and a strong composition.
The foreground tree is gone, yeah. But the cube island, or whatever, is still there? In terms of details alone the update is probably less cluttered honestly, but the lighter backdrop could maybe contribute to that it looks more busy I guess.

EDIT

While I'm at it.

@HL_Vortex

Get better pine trees. Also make the fog much thicker (if you even have any currently) and work with the background. And the foreground plateaus need more details than just plain tiles. Grass, tiny rocks, flora, some props maybe. Solid start otherwise, and the glowing cube is a cool idea.

@Z-Machine

First. Get rid of the rain. The idea of weather is tempting, but the native editor weather effects are shit and all it does is ruin the piece. You could play around with fog to get better results. Or add a couple rain drops manually to instill the idea that it's raining and then add ripples to the water.

Second. Do something about the water. Either scale down the water model a lot and use several or, probably better, try something like what I'm doing in mine. Alpha tiles and placing the hidden shoreline models manually

Doodads\LordaeronSummer\Water\ShorelineWave\ShorelineWave1.mdl

Third. Get a better fire model. There are several in the UTM you could use that look better.

Last. Find better unit models. If all else fails, just go with WoW exports.

You have something good going there, so make it better.

@Bernkastel

Gogogo.

Last edited:
Level 29
My Final Entry

Entry Name:

Ligthining Singularity on Icy Valley

upload_2020-11-12_22-28-7.png

Elements: Frost and Ligthining.

sorry for not making a better entry, I was trying in the tech tree contst too, well mmm, not a winning entry but I am glad this contest was really nice, have a scenic terraining contest in 2020 means keep the trayectory alive. glad to see that.
Ligthining seems the star element in many entries.
my free time now is very few so I am presenting my final.

7 days remain, good luck to everybody.

I only used the UTM 4.0

Last edited:
Level 7
@fladdermasken
That is indeed a nice lightning model, please share the source @tassavadar :D
As I understood, I can use some unpublished models, if they are approved by judges, so I made this model for the contest. I'll attach it. Not sure if I had to send the model to judges first

Attachments

• 7sr_wildhubmanatree_lightning.blp
    214.4 KB · Views: 127
  • 7sr_wildhubmanatree_lightning.mdx
    1.2 KB · Views: 126
  • 7sr_wildhubmanatree_lightning2.mdx
    1.2 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:
Level 11
full

WIP 2 - changed some colours, added one or two effects. Still not satisfied...

Hmm, I don't think I am going to win this, seeing all those HD textures and doodads by others, I feel mine is blunt and 'original' LOL. But still needs more polishing on this work. Touch is not there.... touch is still not there yet/...

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
I'll attach it. Not sure if I had to send the model to judges first
Awesome. Not sure how they play this these days, but I'll happily use that if it's allowed.

seeing all those HD textures and doodads by others, I feel mine is blunt and 'original' LOL. But still needs more polishing on this work. Touch is not there.... touch is still not there yet/...
It's scaling, placement and lighting too. Your camera is way too close to the ground for the tiles to work. 64x64 textures look shit from this close up. The fire model basically just outputs orange squares at this scale too. Basically your problem isn't only down to the textures, it's what you do with them also. The idea isn't bad but I think you need to rework your shot. Start with the ghost people and work from that. Then add things that actually works with that scale and looks good, not just stuff that fits the narrative.

so I made this model for the contest.
If you made it, there is no problem as long as you post the model here.
Edits may be made, as long as the resulting models are posted in the contest thread.

But if it's an off-site import, it must be fully credited along with a link to the resource.

Last edited:
Working with animated models was such a pain in the butt but I'm happy with the last screenshot.
Making their animations stationary is actually really simple. Just open the model in mdlvis, click modules, then sequence editor, and then select the animation you want to show. On the bottom you can see a bar with a slider. If you drag the slider back and forth you will see all the frames in the animation you have selected. You can copy these frames with CTRL+C (or right click), so simply slide the bar until you have the animation you want, copy it and then go to its stand animation. Drag the slider all the way to the left, hold shift, and then drag the slider all the way to the right. That way you select all the frames in the entire animation. When you have selected them all you click delete. Now your unit will have the standard T-pose animation. Drag the slider all the way to the left again, and do CTRL+V to paste the frame you copied earlier. Drag the bar all the way to the right and do CTRL+V again. Save the model and you're done. Optionally make the stand animation have 1000 frames. Also remove other stand animations if any.
screenshot_1-png.368152

Level 11
full

Hmm. I have decided to change the scenery. Hated that fire model in Warcraft. I have decided to improvise. I know there are loads of good fire models out there, but I can't find one that fits. In this work, I obviously removed tonnes of lightnings and flashy things. I made the Gateway Portal more 'energetic' and visible, inflated the mysterious spheres and diminished the size of the souls. I only wanted to capture the Hellscape.

I might darkened the spheres because the red spots are blurry. I used to make them completely featureless (which it should be) but it looked plain. I will tinker more again. Bless me with more time.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
Alright here's another one.

Dualism.png

@Neruvatar

If you can't get the fire to work, an old trick is to just use orange glow models. I'd say your main problem still is the scaling incongruity between the ghost people and the rest of the scene though. The tiles as well as the shading on everything around it makes the ghosts look incredibly tiny as opposed to everything else huge, which I guess is what you're acatually going for.

@WolfFarkas

Maybe try a faint green glow from the lightning. It could probably play well with the cloud models.

Level 11
If you can't get the fire to work, an old trick is to just use orange glow models. I'd say your main problem still is the scaling incongruity between the ghost people and the rest of the scene though. The tiles as well as the shading on everything around it makes the ghosts look incredibly tiny as opposed to everything else huge, which I guess is what you're acatually going for.

@fladdermasken yes, I intend those spheres to be gigantic and souls are just innumerable and insignificant in Hell. The sphere houses all the Burdens in the world, so they are huge.

Level 29
@fladdermasken yes, I intend those spheres to be gigantic and souls are just innumerable and insignificant in Hell. The sphere houses all the Burdens in the world, so they are huge.
maybe reduce the spheres just a bit so you can have many, like 5 lines of souls like this

2414291032084baa8e9965b96a65daba.jpg

I liked the first version with 2 different lines of walking souls.

ligthinings effects and sky are much better now.

4 days, you can do it, keep it up!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.