• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Terraining Contest #18[Playable] - Desert

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 28
A playable desert terrain. That's very interseting and something new ! I love working on such terrains, desert is my favourite, I don't know if its supposed to be a melee map or just playable terrain, Units..., but that will be great in anyway, When this contest start?

I'm thinking about joining this :)

Level 28
7 days (I think) passed and no WIP's?

Yeah, I bet they aren't exposing their entries too much to keep the surprise factor. Or maybe they're like me and haven't started it. Why don't you join and show us some WIPs? :p

When this contest start?

A few days ago:

contest%20dates%20and%20deadline.png

• The contest shall begin on 24th of March and conclude 12 am on the 25th of May, 2016 GMT

I'm thinking about joining this :)

Nice! You have nothing to lose, so why not? It is always worth the practice anyway.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

Considering this is only a terraining contest the time is more than sufficient enough, I would say.
Remember the map size is small, too.

Level 11
This is a very early WIP of what might become my entry.

Untitled-2.jpg

*edit*
Quick question. May the preview of the final map be a collage with images from different directions (i.e. one looking south, one looking west, etc.)? When I say collage I mean just the "vanilla" screenshots put underneath each other, no blending, just putting together into one image, or are we limited to one view/one shot?

Last edited:

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

Hm, interesting approach, now my own ideas become a boring touch..

Level 17
This is a very early WIP of what might become my entry.

Untitled-2.jpg

*edit*
Quick question. May the preview of the final map be a collage with images from different directions (i.e. one looking south, one looking west, etc.)? When I say collage I mean just the "vanilla" screenshots put underneath each other, no blending, just putting together into one image, or are we limited to one view/one shot?

Nice screenshot! Looks awesome!

You can post 100 screenshiots without any problem with the map included.

Level 28

As long as it contains the map file attached and some screenshots, you can do anything about it! Of course, avoid too much image editing aside from cropping, as it also violates the rules:

• The post containing your final submission must also contain the following:
    • A few in game screenshots showing your submission in action.
    • The completed map in the appropriate format.
    (...)
  • No image editing tools may be used to enhance the terrain previews (however cropping is allowed).

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

From Arad MNK's previous suggestion, recolors are allowed ?

Level 11

• Map may consist of any resource as long as it is public.
    • Resources made public after the launch of the contest are not permitted.

Judging by the current rules, that would be a "no", although I don't see simple recolors as a critical infraction to the rules, then again, changing the rules mid-contest would be murky imo.

I'll edit this post as soon as I find the sand-tiles I used for my map to save you the search-time.

*EDIT*
This is a very nice coarse sand tile.
Oh, would you look at that. Such a nice rocky sand tile.

I've tried implementing lighter tiles into my map, but they are just too bright for blending in well imo.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
So, are we allowed to make an arctic desert or must it have lameass snow?
Yeah, anything that fits the definition of desert is fine.

Might consider joining. Also, by playable that means we need to terrain a whole 64x64(or bigger) map?
Yes. Obviously you don't need to fill up every grid square to the max, but it should be pretty detailed.

EDIT: Is UTM allowed or nah?
UTM is allowed.

You mean of resources? I would say yes. Minor model edits should be alright, provided it's something everybody can do easily themselves. Recolors, I believe, fall under that definition.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

You mean of resources? I would say yes. Minor model edits should be alright, provided it's something everybody can do easily themselves. Recolors, I believe, fall under that definition.
You would be surprised how many users are not able to do the most simple recolors.
I don't know, it feels, from my point of view, unfair when you can edit resources
texture-wise, even if it is only recolor, but hardly model-wise.

By the way, if we are already in the topic, I recall someone was allowed in the past
to convert non-mdx models to mdx, is this a general rule/allowance ?

I guess that as long as proper scales are taken in account with proper pathability, it should be accepted. Btw if you wanna have some handy desertic type buildings you can take these. Otherwise, you can ask Fingolfin to get his very nice "Tunis typed" buildings he didn't display on Hive workshop ;).

Is it okay to show off models from other website ?? (not sure ^^) (it's just a suggestion for this particular contest; and I love desertic areas)

Level 28
Yes, it is okay to use models from other websites, as long as you give the link. See this excerpt from the Contest Rules part of the 1st post:

• Map may consist of any resource as long as it is public.
    • Unless a used resource belongs to either Hive Workshop or Wc3Campaigns, a link to the used resources must be provided.
    • Resources made public after the launch of the contest are not permitted.

However Fingolfin's "Tunis typed" buildings won't be allowed because they weren't public before the contest started, as you can also see in the quote.

@Bumhunter: Really cool concept. I liked the way you managed to pull out a creative solution for the eye using the regular warcraft spires!

@Lightskin: lol maybe they're a little too inclined to the oasis? It looks weird the way they're like, forming a roof there. (unless that's your idea)

Level 15
@Lightskin: lol maybe they're a little too inclined to the oasis? It looks weird the way they're like, forming a roof there. (unless that's your idea)

Yes I thought the same, I already fixed it by now, although the oasis i'm referring to looks like that, the palms tend to form some kind of roof over the water, but still not LIKE THAT lol.

Deleted member 247165

D

Deleted member 247165

I am going to participate :) and I will amaze you :)

Level 31
Desert is sort of easy to make campared to other themes, because in most cases it does not require too much of detail, it is a desert after all. Really good choice for the playable terrain though, it would not be too much time consuming as other detail-abudant themes.

If there might be a problem with judges, I could give it a try.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
Thought of taking part, but... I am still not really familiar about 'playable'. Does that mean the map should not have any triggers?
Hey, hello, konichiwa, etc. The first post is there to be read, and it's quicker to read it than to ask questions and wait for replies.

Description of "Playable": A player should be able to maneuver a unit around and experience a variety of environments and terrain features that respect the theme of the contest. Pathing is not mandatory and will not factor into the judging, but may be added if you want to add it. Same applies to gameplay elements.
Gameplay elements includes everything that isn't just scenery. Triggers too. You can add it if you want, but it won't be factored into the judging.

Status
Not open for further replies.