• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Terraining Contest #1 - Gloomy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Volvox, I would infact classify your second entry as gloomy. Gloom doesn't need to always be dark damp corners. The first one not so much.

Oh, I like your suggestion about the lightshaft Void, but the camera angle is tricky so I might not fit it in.

Level 4
Here's my submission, it's my first work and someone told me to take it here. Not really death-y like the others but it's dark, at least.

Attachments

• midnight2.jpg
    midnight2.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 230
Level 32
Are we allowed to post maps? or only scrn shots?
  1. No submission may violate any Hive Workshop site rules.
  2. No team work is allowed.
  3. Map must either be based on UTM or started from scratch.
  4. No additional importing is allowed into already existing and most up-to-date UTM map.
  5. No contestant may use his/her old works, submisson must be made exclusivelly for this contest.
  6. Completed submissions must be physically attached to this thread.
Final entries MUST be map files (.w3m or .w3x format).

Here is my entry...
Here's my submission...
Good work (so far) guys, but remember: your posts contain only screenshots, not terrain maps.

Level 34
I'm pretty sure the map needs to be posted so that they know you did not steal the picture.

FamousPker49: I critiqued this already. I still say you need to add more growth and life to it. Swamps are full of plants and vines.

YAY_WOOT_YAY: Some pretty good work, but your colors clash a lot, especially in the first. I find that because they clash, you can't set a good atmosphere. I think if you were to change some of the doodads used (like the bushes) and tint others (like the mushrooms) you could improve this a lot. Your third shot was the best.

firelord213: That's some gross water! I find that you stretched some textures in the first one a little bit too much. That one cattail from the river rushes is ugly. I always set the river rushes variation to 3. Glad to see you tinted stuff though. Not a bad terrain. The second is poor. The yellowness does not suit at all. If you were to change that I think it would improve drastically. The dragon is kind of lame IMO, I personally would remove it, but it's up to you. The waterfalls are cool, but again those cattails are ugly. Use the cattail model.

frostwhisper: You have cool ideas all the time, but there's noting to look at. I can't see this winning, but I like it. Maybe if you made the waterfall stand out more it would look better.

Troubadour: Nothing I can say. It looks really good for an indoor, but it won't get my vote because I personally dislike indoor terrain. I find they don't take as much time and effort, and don't look as beautiful (although you did a very good job here, it's one of the best indoor terrains I have ever seen). Best part is probably the angles.

daw_guy: I have no idea what is going on. I can't really say anything else. Don't spam rocks?!

Volvox: The first isn't gloomy at all, and although it's a pretty nice terrain, I can't see it being accepted. You better change it to fit the contest. The second can pass IMO. It reminds me of a gloomy, rainy, day. Only problem is the little bare patch up close to the screen. Other than that it's a good terrain, but not an amazing one.

Wolf.: I really like this one. It may get my vote thus far. The road could use some work, but those mountains in the back are very nice. You seem to be better at it than Void! You may want to add rain to make it more gloomy though.

Belgarath: Looks good, but I still don't get that beam of light. I thought it was cooler before though. Looked like some Sci-Fi show with a laser beam coming from a bunker. On a whole I would say the light ruins it, and makes it. It would be boring without it, but it draws your eyes to it, and for some reason it bugs me. Can't put my finger on it.

Void are you entering? What about you deathcom3s?

Last edited:
Level 9
Hey !

Nice WIPs so far PPL ! decided to make my own after looked them through. Only mapped out the basics, tiles, fog and sky.

Im still working on what i should add to it so it looks "Gloomy" .

/MadseN

Attachments

• Gloomy WIP1.jpg
    Gloomy WIP1.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 165

frostwhisper

Media Manager
Level 49
Either that, or he's using the sky stormsphere.

Anyway I think I'm done with this one.
Winter approaches as the second Scourge invasion begins and marks the end of the kingdom of Loarderon. The plague of undeath spreads rapidly across the land. Paranoid, the people try to mark the houses of those infected with red symbols. Sadly, these warnings are futile as all the houses' residents are already either dead or worse...

dawnofthescourge3ns1.jpg

Level 9
Firelord213: First you need to lower the terrain because it's to steep atm. the beach should almost be plain to get a better perspective. and then you can have the "green" area as it is atm, or maybe a bit lower.

Otherwise it looks pritty ok for now :smile:

/MadseN

frostwhisper

Media Manager
Level 49
Ahm... HT, I have a question.

A couple of minutes ago my WE crashed and I lost every piece of data I added after I finished the London terrain. In other words the Log house one is lost, but I have it screenshotted with the WIPs and all (as you can see).

My question is: will it count as a valid submission?

Level 36
The trees looks great, tho you might want to consider to change the sky background to something more "Gloomy".

/MadseN

I lost the map with the trees so I have to do them all over again :(
And I'm adding stormspheres.

As for yours, the town is great for the atmosphere, but the rest... well sucks :\
Hopefully that's part of its WIP-ness (w. i. penis? lawl)

frostwhisper

Media Manager
Level 49
Sooo... basically the screenshots we make, the WIPs... they are useless?
And in the end the map will be judged as a whole, not just the separate scenes implemented into it?

I understand the reasons for the attached map, but I think the submission should be the screenshots and the map should be attached there just for verification of the two rules you stated.

Status
Not open for further replies.