• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Techtree Contest #8 - The Seal of Magus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Lain-Eo, Lost Elves. After being forced deep into their underground temples, the Elves of Scho'del'emar realized that their time as a living race would come to a close in their vast caverns. Ten-thousand years later, these "Lost Elves" would emerge, but not all of their vengeful armies would be made up of such creatures. For the Lost Elves had devised a way to become immortal, and to spite time itself. As an Elf lay upon their deathbed, their soul was linked with a carapace nearby. At first, it happened by accident, and the elf's soul vanished soon afterward, but, by entering into a dark and terrible magic, they learned how to enslave their own people's souls. These were eventually known as Manifestations, and they toiled and built their master's structures. Swiftly after this, the Elves developed from a mystical seal a similar concept to their armor, allowing a spirit to be bound to it, and fight once again.
Shamed by this new warrior on the frontlines, the rank-and-file warriors amongst the Elves redoubled their efforts to subdue their realm, and began to look hopefully to the surface. The Chromerital (Time Worthy) Council then decided that the only answer was to besiege the world of the mortal races, and crush them. When the Elves returned to their ruined temples, they reported of great towns, and great lands, devoted entirely to military gatherings. Astounded, the Council ordered the design of buildings both familiar and farfetched to confuse and debilitate their foes. Following this, the utilitarian and evil looking Eternity Font was developed. With a top platform for their military strategists, it also contained a flaming channel of souls, to produce their greatest weapons...

Just some backstory for my entry, maybe I should've entered into an "Incredibly Vague Fantasy Writing Contest, eh?"

Last edited:
Level 4
I beleave the answer will be yes, but I'm going to ask it, so I don't break any rules. Are we allowed to replace a starting point with our base structures/units?

Level 35
If at least 4 or 5 people finished their work there will be no extended dead line, but if for excample only 2-3 finished there will be extended deadline, but those people who finished in time will have for excample bonus of 5 points. What you think?

We already have this in some cases actually :wink: (With 5 points if one have submitted a resource). But I do believe that deadlines extension should only be given in rare cases. Like with no submissions, but with people very close to finish. Or in those situations were something just bugs out.

Hey; I was thinking I might join this, depending on if I have time.

But, regardless of that, I was thinking that when it was over I could (with permission) compile any or all of the techtrees made here into one giant mod for the game, that could be run as an EXE (or maybe a java JAR, I've done a lot with those) on any computer with Warcraft 3 installed. It would be a lot like TToR, and would work on 1.26 Battle.net. I've been working on my own project like that here.

That is something I have done before and have the know-how to do efficiently. In addition, because of Dumpling's MultiRace Template here on the hive, we can add races to the player's drop down menu instead of replacing, so that we could retain the original races.

(Edit: I reread Dumpling's stuff, and he says he has only tested the MultiRace Template on LAN. I, too, have only used it on LAN, but I really assume it would work in both places.)

Last edited:
Level 20
What's the purpose of being able to edit game constants? The races should fit a melee map.
Editing game interface also seems like a bad idea. Most of the things (for example, changing resource type) will apply to other races making it only sensible to play it in single player.

Level 25
Editing game interface also seems like a bad idea. Most of the things (for example, changing resource type) will apply to other races making it only sensible to play it in single player.

I did it with my submission for techtree contest because it was needed to see the full idea of my race. (lumber icon and tooltip was changed)

So imo it's really not a problem.

If the stuff was compiled with dumpling's MultiRace Template, I'm pretty sure you could change Gameplay Interface / Gameplay Constants for one race, but not for the others, due to the weird way that his thing loaded UI data (it opened a separate MPQ for each race).

Level 12
What's the purpose of being able to edit game constants? The races should fit a melee map.

I guess you should change gameplay constants in terms of Dependency - Heroes as well as Town Hall Tiers

Level 4
Well it seems like Garfield's and my idea of the seal was quite similar. :S
Do I have to think of something new?

EDIT: A quick texture update.

Attachments

• (8)Sanctuary.w3x
    505.2 KB · Views: 143
Level 12
As the Pharaoh wants, here is a first Screenshot ^^
That's the most of what I've got so far :)

Attachments

• Screen1_Kallimachos.jpg
    Screen1_Kallimachos.jpg
    409.1 KB · Views: 371
Level 20
Here's my final entry based on Ain-Ha seal, The Order. I made 2 out of 4 heroes custom, couldn't bother more I guess.
Race highlights:
  • Detachment/Squad system for basic units.
  • Custom attack mechanics for a flying unit.
  • Mostly custom triggered spells.
  • Dependent on Lieutenant unit. Most of the units are weaker than average alone, but with a lieutenant, stronger than average.
  • Most of the units use same texture for a more uniform appearance and uniqueness.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Techtree #8 Garf Final.w3x
    2.9 MB · Views: 282
  • firefly.png
    firefly.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 972
  • group.png
    group.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,030
  • celestial.png
    celestial.png
    864.2 KB · Views: 957
  • base.png
    base.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 1,104
  • base defense.png
    base defense.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 1,033
  • patrol.png
    patrol.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 982
  • reinforce.png
    reinforce.png
    58 KB · Views: 772
Last edited:
Level 12
2nd WIP

My Race is called the 'Nyctan Cult' for the Enu-Xa seal. It's a Union of mostly werewolfs, who are aided by some other mysterious outcasts who follow the path of darkness.

The whole race origins in a group of humans who incidently fell under the curse of a powerful undead magician when founding their nation on desecrated ground, whereas they got infected by a dark virus. Now they prefer living in the darkness, yet daylight does not harm them and live a life of organized savages, feared by other civilized nations. Due to the story of their becoming, they have attracted plenty other sinister creatures with a mysterious background who dwell within their cities, everybody practizing their own rites and pursuing their mysterious creeds, while being led by mighty alphas and cultic leaders.

126060d1369784385-techtree-contest-8-seal-magus-techtree.png

The Nocturnal Terror is a great starting hero. He has the bulk to tank some damage and his standard spells are easy to cast. Maxing 'Call of the Carnivore' first will get your army a useful healing option while the decent damage boost lets you clear early creep camps faster. Go for 'Rabid Strike' if you need a disable/pseudo-nuke or for the Aura if you want to boost dps.

The Angel of Deceit is a bit squishy but his spells offer great variety and potential. Casting 'Abacinate' on an inimical hero while turning his army against him with 'Misguidance' can twist around a battle to your favour, if the enemy is not prepared enough. 'Hellish Conversion' is great for denying and can also be used to creep in the beginning. If you don't want to sacrifice a unit, just summon a Wolf in one of your Kennels.

The Arctic Alpha is perfect for killing single targets at first and messing around with larger groups of enemies later. His 'Icicle Hook' can bring an enemy hero into a really tough situation, if cast accurately. The passive serves well against invisible units. His ultimate synergizes extremely well with the Angel of Deceit's. Just Run to the enemies, trap them with your ulti and Cast the Angel's ulti.

The Haunting Scarecrow can stand a good fight on his own with 'Head Throw', but he excels with the right hero support/when supporting himself. 'Scare' is a great tactical disable to scatter inimical troups while your army/second hero does the rest.

NElf is a great ally, as allmost all of your units also benefit from the night boni, which also makes the Nyctan Cult a nice option against NE, as it counterbalances their night bonus.

UD is another great ally, due to the DK being able to heal some of your units, like the Nocturnal Terror.

Consequently use 'Unleash them!' from your Kennels to scout nearby areas, pull creeps or just to defend the base against rushes.

NT & Dusk Aviators
Max the Predator's Aura & Call, rush for T2 and get dome DAs. As soon as you get T3 and research 'Focus' for them, in combination with the Nocturnal's buffs it will drive their IAS to an insane rate.

If building a Mischief Factory, you can spam Raid Technicians and build a circle of Mungos close to the enemy base with the Technicians inside, so they can repair, safe from meelee attacks. Additionally, you can upgrade them and upgrade some to Cobras for aa coverage.

Against invisible units:
Dust of Appearance, Arctic Alpha's 'Perception', Research 'Surveillance' for your towers.

Against casters:
Hexecutioners (Spell-immunity, cleanse, Manaburn), Vermin Hags (Mass dispell at Adept level), Foul Cherubs (Coriaceous Skin)

Against air-unis:
Sagittarians, Raid Technicians -> Cobras, Towers, Angel of Deceit's 'Hellish Conversion' also 'Misguidance', Foul Cherubs win against Wyrms, Gryphons, Chims. Agony Orb (Market)

Against ranged/siege units:
Eclipsefiends(very fast and high dps, 'Bloodthirst')

Against buildings:
Raid Technicians -> Mungos, Cobras, Shatter Colossi

Recovery possibilities:
Vampire Potion & Fed Caddle & Hp Potion (All Market), Mythcultists (Superstitious Aid), Angel (Hellish Conversion), Nocturnal (Call of the Carnivore), Foul Cherub (Coriaceous Skin)

Escape tactics:
Sagittarians' 'Ambush', Staff (Market), Haunting Scarecrow's 'Scare', Nocturnal Terror's 'Thriller'

Disablers/Debuffers:
Arctic Alpha (Icicle Hook, Ulti), Angel (Abacinate, Misguidance), Nocturnal Terror (Rabid Strike), Haunting Scarecrow (Scare, Head Throw), Mythcultists (Heresy at Master Level), Eclipsefinds, Foul Cherub (Both on attack after Upgrade)

Summons:
Fed Caddle (Item from Shop), Yard/Guard Wolf ('Unleash them!' at the Kennels), Fungus (Vermin Hags' 'Fungal Bolt'), Underworld Guardian (Angel's Hellish Conversion)

Edit: Serves as an info board now

Attachments

• ScreenArctic.jpg
    ScreenArctic.jpg
    414.8 KB · Views: 314
  • ScreenAngel.jpg
    ScreenAngel.jpg
    354.9 KB · Views: 327
  • Techtree.png
    Techtree.png
    735.9 KB · Views: 7,623
Last edited:
Level 4
Unfortunatly, a lot came up at the end of school and I was unable to finish my submission.
Anyway good luck people, I'll keep an eye on the poll.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
It's 23:05 GMT+0 atm so yes, you have time. It doesn't really matter even if you're late a few hours, the thread doesn't get closed exactly at that time.
Even if the thread isn't closed, you have to be careful; if they are running things fairly, any submissions after the deadline (regardless of thread closure) wouldn't be accepted.

Well, I'm enjoying making this techtree, so I'm going to fight to finish it as fast as possible even if it's just for fun :)

Also I just play-tested that submission and there were innumerable things horribly broken with the unit data still, so I'll be working on that. I challenged myself to try to make all of the art assets and the techtree in one day, and didn't quite make it :(.

The only import in the map that needs any crediting is the Science Vessel, which I made on a request a while back by editing a base animationless model made by Infrenus, I think it was, for Kam, that wasn't finished. That first version just had the siege engine texture, so there was a lot of adding and modifying that I did to get it where it was when I made it back in roughly January or some time like that.

Edit: A little description of my techtree: They are the S.E.N.T.I.N.E.L., the Spacewide Empire of Naturally Talented and Intelligent Night Elven Lifeforms, empowered by the might of Rain-Tek (the are a futuristic race, probably timetraveled back from the future), who are space travelers with powerful technology.

SENTINEL.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.