• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Spells & Systems Mini-Contest #20

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bribe

Code Moderator
Level 50
Welcome to The Hiveworkshop's

auron1_1.jpg

Spells & Systems Mini-Contest #20

Introduction
The Spells & Systems Contest is more of a fun code learning environment than a contest, due to its low requirements, its short time limit, and its small prize. Each spell must adhere to the theme listed below, and to win, it should be executed well and take the main judging points into consideration.

Task
This contest's theme is

Freeload

The idea here is to copy a spell from another game. Yep, should be pretty simple. Final Fantasy, God of War, Dragon Ball Z, even another Blizzard game, just make sure it follows the rules (MUI, leakless, cool).
Rules
1. All work should be done by the contestant and original to this contest, started after the contest started.
2. Each contestant is only allowed one submission.
3. The spell map must be unprotected.
4. Please post the triggers in
  • tags (JASS in [code=jass] tags)
    • 5. No imported material, beyond the dummy.mdx model by Vex and Anitarf.
    • 6. Spells should support multiple levels, preferably an indefinite amount.
    • 7. The testmap should provide an adequate testing environment for the spell.
    • 8. GUI, JASS, vJass and Zinc are allowed.
    • 9. The spell must be playable on Battle.net (no desync or RTC natives, for example) and editable in World Editor (GUI) or Jass NewGen Pack (vJass).
    • 10. vJass users, you may use other libraries to complement your code, some useful examples:
      • [list][*]TimerUtils[*]UnitIndexer[*]DamageEvent[*]Table[/LIST]
  • If you break the rules, you may be disqualified from the contest, but minor offences (Such as an imported model/icon) will generally be punished simply by the ignoring of them (as if it didn't exist) in the scoring, and a penalty in the related category.[/BOX]
  • [BOX=Entering] [COLOR="silver"]There is no specific required entry method. Just say you wish to enter, or post your spell when it's finished. Whatever works for you.[/COLOR][/BOX]
  • [BOX=Judging]
  • Judging will be as follows:
    • 1. [COLOR="silver"]Idea (0 points)[/COLOR] - Obviously this doesn't count as the idea won't be your own.
    • 2. [COLOR="silver"]Triggering (10 points)[/COLOR] - Make efficient, MUI and leakless triggers.
    • 3. [COLOR="silver"]Overall Aspect (5 points)[/COLOR] - Making sure your spell is easy to read (tooltip, comments, logical variable names), as well as having a practical use in-game.
    • 4. [COLOR="silver"]Visual effects (10 points)[/COLOR] - A nice-looking, non-laggy effect. Again, don't use custom models, achieve the effect with native WarCraft III models.
    • 5. [COLOR="silver"]Sound effects (5 points)[/COLOR] - Try to pick out some good WarCraft III sound effects (portal opening, evil laugh, etc.) - while you can't import audio files you can adjust the pitch to make it sound a bit different.
  • [/BOX]
  • [BOX=Prize]
  • A spell can earn a maximum of 30 points. It's simple, the contestant with the most points wins.
  • [COLOR="silver"]The winner's prize will be 10 reputation points, and earn a spot in the "Spells/Systems Hall of Fame" (the list of winners of this contest).[/COLOR][/BOX]
  • [size=3]The contest deadline was Friday, 17 June at midnight (18 June 00:00), PST. The contest is now [b]closed[/b].
  • [COLOR="silver"]~Bribe[/COLOR][/SIZE]
  • Results: [url]http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/1941835-post469.html[/url]

Last edited:
Level 22
Herp derp, can haz maek Omnislash? xD

If I find a spell I feel like stealing, I'll join (if I have time and the exams don't rape my ass).
Btw, isn't it number 19 now, and not 20, or did you guys host a contest that I wasn't notified of?

Level 20
I told you guys I would do another one in the middle of May.
Hmm yeah, forgot. Though i thought it would be a regular one instead of a mini contest.
Oh shi-
Actually, disregard what I said about the Purifier Beam.
If someone recreates THIS, they will be my god! :D
Meteor power is more about effects than actual mechanic :D

Level 22
The meteor spell doesn't look difficult at all. The problem is the sound and the explosion model (with the flash and all that). The physics and the "meteors falling down" parts are easy.

Bribe

Code Moderator
Level 50
I need some inspiration :/
Any ideas?

Final Fantasy X

I'm inn, Nevermore Shadowraze principe, I am still a little bit slow in triggering but what was the code to remove leaks in gui, I think there was a custom script!?

You can post your work with the leaks in Triggers & Scripts and ask for help fixing those leaks, probably ask for help making it MUI as well, people are willing to help.

Hmm yeah, forgot. Though i thought it would be a regular one instead of a mini contest.

You suggest I change the contest to make it bigger? How so? Like with award icons and such?

Bribe

Code Moderator
Level 50
I'm not suggesting anything, i just thought it won't be a mini contest.

It's always been a mini-contest. If there is some special treatment that this contest should have, let me know and I can make it happen. I just don't know what the difference is besides the name.

Level 22
Deo, I think I'll choose that spell of yours (the meteor thing). Lets hope I have the time to finish it. My exams are coming to get me D:

Btw: I r maken physex engehn just for thiz zpellz.

Status
Not open for further replies.