• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

So... will people still play WC3?

In the face of Starcraft II, will you remain faithful to WCIII?

• I'm staying with WCIII

Votes: 94 61.4%
  • I've already gotten SCII; goodbye WCIII

Votes: 18 11.8%
  • I'm thinking about gettign SCII, and will stop from WCIII if I get it.

Votes: 27 17.6%
  • I'm too poor to afford SCII, so I'm stuck with WCIII

Votes: 14 9.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
They prob are, either a WoS or a warcraft 4 is prob next, I wouldnt mind a MMO starcraft, that would be amazing.

Level 7
it would be: Worlds of starcraft, as starcraft is set in multiple worlds. I don't think it would be that cool and cant see why blizzard would want to make it, they will be eating away at their own WOW fan base, not getting more costumers.

People who like si fi games generaly want more something that offers more complexity that wow offers.

Level 2
for me, i hope warcraftIII stays alive, i dont know how better starcraftII is better than #1, but i played that game for 3 months with a friend, and i pretty much got sick of it, all my friend wanted to do was play 1 single games where all you have to do is move a unit on to a platform and sit back and watch, no skill, no fun, no stratigie anything.

BTW: will starcraftII have heros?

Level 2
but...

Starcraft!
A game like World of Starcraft would be awesome!

yah but it would be pretty hard, they only have like a few single human shaped things, and most of them are ranged, like that protoss thingy, i forgot it had liek 4 legs or whatever, and theres no mounts for zerg.:thumbs_down:

Level 21
You're wrong when you think they'll be eating away wow fans. There's a large line drawn between sci-fi and fantasy. To give an easy example: look at the amount of wow players versus the amount of star wars / eve online / anarchy online / whatever players. Is wow that much better?

Check the release dates:
star wars galaxies: 2003
world of warcraft: 2004

Best proof that sci-fi is for a really small fanbase, while fantasy appeals to a much larger playerbase. Fantasy simply attracts a different kind of players than scifi.

The same can be said for all the warcraft vs starcraft discussions. They're 2 different games in 2 totally different universes. Warcraft 3 won't die when starcraft is released.

Back to the subject of a SC mmo:
I can definitely see it work. It can be revolutionary on many areas:
- Skills & talents will be much less important, the game should be twitch-based. Marines get to aim their guns, zealots get to dodge and do some melee fighting, rather than sitting back and spamming some macro's for healing and damage spells.
- Dynamic world: you, with other players, influence what happens to the universe. New events are constantly added through patches and expansions. Such events only get unlocked through events caused by players. To give an example: when, thanks to players, zerglings start getting too many worlds under their control, a certain "terran" event could be triggered that gives the terran an advantage over the zerg (think: psi emitter). At the same time, if this weapon needs to be transported and gets intercepted by one of raynor's pirates (also a player, ofcourse), raynor's faction would get this weapon instead.
- It would also be the first MMO to give a decent vehicle support. Vehicles would play an important role, especially spacecraft.
- On the story side: the players create the story, blizzard only provides a bunch of events that will respond to these actions.

Or they could also stick to traditional gameplay, which will probably be a failure.

Level 14
I'll stick to Wc3 since I like fantasy more then sci-fi but I'm still going to play Starcraft 2 with my friends.

Level 7
There are a lot of variables considering whether or not people will continue to play Wc3. We must put in a few small and big facts here and there.

First off there will be a few people eager to see new graphics. Some are going to want the rest of the storyline fulfilled after the mess of things we were left with(o_O). A lot of people playing Wc3 will like the sci-fi look and go for that.

Some will stay for fantasy looks, whether the graphics are completely good or not anymore doesn't matter. Some just like the way Wc3 works(Sc works a lot different then Wc3 certainly does).

Overall I think people will go from all three games Sc, Sc2, and Wc3. The amount who will still be at Sc will depend on how different Sc2 is from it.(And of course a lot of other things as well).

Hopefully though if I ever get the sudden urge to play Wc3 there will still be some people there to get a good game going.

Level 12
First of all, I must to write that micro in scI is much harder than in wc3, see any korean scI replay anyone? If you miss two sec in wc3, even in the worst cases, you just cast TP or lost one two units, In starcraft? All your army will be destroyed!

today wcIII is lived by custom games, melee is still about the same four strategies (aka Night elves, humans, orcs and undeads), so it depends how good custom games will be in SCII.

Level 10
Well, since I am pretty much tired of wc3 I will buy and play (and mod) SC 2. I've never played SC 1 so I've just got my hands on it (and Brood Wars), and I'm going to play it through so I get into the story and know what it's all about.

Level 22

Wow awesome! I said it once, it gives realism if units die faster but after playing war3 for mb 5 years, BW is just uncontrolable. I made some BW games and I just can't micro the way war3 is microed, units just die and die. And it's so primitve in BW workers don't auto look for resources, you may have idle workers and you won't even notice. Controls are shit, you can't hotkey more than 1 structure, etc. But this is gr8 micro.

Level 12
Once a wc comes out, lets just say very few will play wc unless they cant get the game/play it, or want to play a older game.

Level 3
Blizzard announced that it was going to add a hero system as they noted that DotA is the main game played. Dota will move to SCII, just with a different name, units, and terrain.

Level 3
Well sc survived wc3, then again wc3 isnt half the game sc was..

Y, I'm sure IceFrog will move DotA to SC2. coz in sc2 editor he would be able to do game even better than those DotA based games.

Blizzard is making their own shitty dota for sc2 i fucking hope icefrog doesnt make sc2 dota. Dota is a plague that must die

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 13
Y, I'm sure IceFrog will move DotA to SC2. coz in sc2 editor he would be able to do game even better than those DotA based games.

Well...as most of you may not know , Icefrog is now leading a team in Valve and he is creating some powerfull addons to WE so the DoTA will get propably much better then those DoTA-like games...

on the other hand, he said that he won't go to the SC2 to make DoTA (cause DoTA is only on WC3 not on SC...)

Blizzard is making their own shitty dota for sc2 i fucking hope icefrog doesnt make sc2 dota. Dota is a plague that must die
please no offence and no double-post

Level 6
The question is; Will you still play SC1? WC3 will still be played because its a different gameplay. I can still even go back to WC2 because its a completely diiferent game than its sequel. I don't think I will ever go back to SC1 though because its the same gameplay as SC2; only SC2 is better.

Level 22
To my latest decision not updated for a year: I will play SC2 Melee along with War3 TFT if I get owned too much. For some time I would play both games, before moving to SC2 completely.

From mapping side: ever since I heard about SC2 I froze my ideas and maps, cause futuristic and space maps are wayy better in SC2 than War3, thus I'm maybe deleting all that I've made in War3. That's called clearing the trash. And the story continues on another game - SC2.

I think warcraft III would never die (I think almost all Blizzard games still have players) but of course a lot of people will go to SC2 and then D3... I'm not a SC fan so I'll still play war3 and even once I get to play D3 I'll continue to play war3...

Lol no one plays w3 anymore. Since DotA took it over and only little kiddies play it...
that's LOL...

Level 19
But I love Warcraft III way more... And look how it's been developed so far, I heard Warcraft IV would come out soon too...

Level 25
I think that most modders will stop doing anything for WC once they get their hands on the Galaxy editor, i know i will :p

Also it is only a matter of time before Icefrog makes another Dota for SC2, he had an interview about that some time ago and i wouldn't be suprised to see Dota 2 or something with another name several months after the SC2 release :p

Status
Not open for further replies.