• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

So... will people still play WC3?

In the face of Starcraft II, will you remain faithful to WCIII?

• I'm staying with WCIII

Votes: 94 61.4%
  • I've already gotten SCII; goodbye WCIII

Votes: 18 11.8%
  • I'm thinking about gettign SCII, and will stop from WCIII if I get it.

Votes: 27 17.6%
  • I'm too poor to afford SCII, so I'm stuck with WCIII

Votes: 14 9.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 19
If the final SC II needs to be played with the CD liek old WC III...., then I think WC III will still exist.... If SC II is pirated badly, then I think, SC II Rules WC III :D

Blizzard games don't use disks anymore since they've now patched their games to not require CDs.

If your games still require cds simply upgrade to the latest version.

Level 19
Sc2 will get dull a little in the future and maybe more people will get back to the never dying wc3 ^^ even if SC2 will be much better :O

As you know, the maps made by the mapping community has been one of the sole goals why people still play WarCraft III. And if they move there will be fewer of these and eventually things will start to get quite dull and boring with less new content added.

Now, since StarCraft II add a lot more functionality and power to the end user I simply can't see it getting dull any time soon(years).

First Person Shooters anyone? :p

Level 15
As you know, the maps made by the mapping community has been one of the sole goals why people still play WarCraft III. And if they move there will be fewer of these and eventually things will start to get quite dull and boring with less new content added.

Now, since StarCraft II add a lot more functionality and power to the end user I simply can't see it getting dull any time soon(years).

First Person Shooters anyone? :p

Yeah, silly me, it won't get dull any time soon :D (not centuries ofcourse xD) Those words were for a relief

It's amazing warcraft still has a large, running community for 5 years now. With games like Starcraft 2 it is the sad truth that the day of Warcraft's demise is coming close. It may have lasted longer if WoW didn't completely rape the storyline.

Sorry if this is overly dramatic.

I don't think wow raped the storyline, in fact that's where it continues today, for a fact, what was raped was the rts part of the storyline. For example, blizz decided to make a bit more money by moving their business to the mmo department. Nowadays the story goes strong with wow, although many agree it will never be as good as the rts.(RTS are way more fun, just because it's over in the rts department doesn't mean wow raped the storyline.) Adventurers may be a sucky avatar(you should have troops to control and it can be 3d rts (lol now that's an idea!)) but if you replace the adventurers with the troops of warcraft iii, you can overcome the gameplay imbalance. Heroes might be kind of...a wierd way...to look at it, but I think that it isn't hard to see that blizz is trying to work around the hero default thing. Anyway, ya I will enjoy starcraft, and I hope to god it doesn't kill warcraft right off the bat. It's sad but true that when a newer, higher tech game comes out it destroys all the other nice little games, but hey, at least we got to it before it went out by itself. at least be thankful for that eh?

Come on Blizzard! Give us a patch that will completely rape WC3's campaigns! Change the storyline to the present!

I hope wc3 will never die... it might pass by because of the technology, but his spirit will never pass out..

WC3's triggers manipulates completely the whole WC3.. not only to make melee maps.. saw the Pyritie's Adventures? That was completely Ps2 like....

Can it feature underground levels?
Can it implement a shooting system?
Or even awesome graphics?
Or even buildings you can enter?

Level 3
People will still play Warcraft 3, WoW is out and people still play it. Starcraft might not be as good for map making if you dont want to make a map in space. Unless you spend along time importing terrain etc. I will still play Warcraft 3 because it is good for the type of maps i make

Level 35
Well, Fummy, you say that the Starcraft 2 Editor will be less versatile purely because Starcraft 2 is set in the future? That's kinda dumb, considering that you don't really have to import terrain textures into Warcraft to make Starcraft maps, so why can't you, for example, use the grass textures in Starcraft 2 to make fantasy based maps?

And besides which, there's not all too many Warcraft 3 maps set in the future that actually look all too futuristic, it's how people used the models themselves that accomplished the overall look.

Level 2
"SC2 AND D3 will spell wc3's death. It'll take a long time, because like it or not DotA will still be popular, but nonetheless the fanbase will shift to sc2 or d3."

I'm sorry to break the news to you. But I think D3 has never and will never have an effect on Warcraft 3. It's a almost completely different genre. However Star-craft 2 will probably kill it. I will never miss dota or the ridiculously exaggerated models of wc3. And I'm sure others share my opinion. But even aside from that it's the same thing but better. Which means it's inevitable that it will over-take wc3 someday.

Level 25
"SC2 AND D3 will spell wc3's death. It'll take a long time, because like it or not DotA will still be popular, but nonetheless the fanbase will shift to sc2 or d3."

I'm sorry to break the news to you. But I think D3 has never and will never have an effect on Warcraft 3. It's a almost completely different genre. However Star-craft 2 will probably kill it. I will never miss dota or the ridiculously exaggerated models of wc3. And I'm sure others share my opinion. But even aside from that it's the same thing but better. Which means it's inevitable that it will over-take wc3 someday.

Why not?

The day D3 and SC2 are both in my property is the day i uninstall warcraft 3 to make room for D3.

Lol, now people will make "Wc3" maps in SC2, instead of "Starcraft" maps in Wc3 xD

yup my point exactly,for wow actually DID rape the storyline since you can kill many many storyline characters with 25 character raid ! And all that for money + ofcourse there will be warcraft 4 since blizzard killed almost everyone from previous saga.

Level 3
Ye, i would like to see games like parasite on Sc2. Do you think you will be able to import wc3 models? if they both use mdx maybe. which would be funny because in the middle of a battle between the terran and the protoss a medieval peasant runs into the fray XD

Level 22
For making fantasy and medieval map warcraft will be still better. Unless you want to do crapload of work, which few will be able to "afford".

Exactly. Instead of turning SC2 100% fantasy it will be easier to stay at war3. Instead of tunring war3 100% SC2 or some futuristic game, better go to SC2. I have many other reasons to go to SC2, GG 7 years of WC3, was getting too much and too old.

CyberDuelX16

C

CyberDuelX16

Oh yay another one of these threads!

SC2 AND D3 will spell wc3's death. It'll take a long time, because like it or not DotA will still be popular, but nonetheless the fanbase will shift to sc2 or d3.

But still, people play Diablo 2:Lod, and SW:BW everyday, despite wc3 being much much newer, with better graphics.

Wc3 will never totally die, just the majority of people will go elsewhere.

I Agree Completely, Go to U.S. WEst and look at the game names... 3/4th of the maps are hosted by bots, 1/4 of the others are just ridiculously unpopular and BAD Maps.

Wc3 will never die...but it will be a lifeless shelll...Dota will move to Sc2 and so will most of the Modding Community...my only regret is that is should have map my rpg sooner, cus, by the time my RPG Gets Popular (IF IT EVER WILL) the definition of "Popular" in Wc3 is 1 -3 games a day

Level 1
warcraft is better then this lamme but otherwise i plat this too but i allows play w3 that way create more maps you guys me too creating map :D

Level 6
You know, if the Starcraft II map creator is really as good as Blizzard claims, then why shouldn't Starcraft II prevail? There's nothing wrong with a hugely improved map maker, and many modelers here have proved they can do anything. Medieval maps would be easy. I have a feeling that it will end up being better in general, and could outdo W3 if the map editor is good. Otherwise, people will stick to modding W3

Level 1
Warcraft 3 started it's slow death over a year ago, nowadays when I log on there's almost never any new and interesting maps hosted and 80% of the games are hosted by some automated bot. SC2 will probably be the last nail in the coffin of WC3* but will hopefully be a huge revitalization in the map making community.

*Technically some people will keep playing, but it will feel pretty dead.

I've seen some of you state that you'd still like to use WC3 for the fantasy models, but is this actually necessary?
Think back to SC1, back then we had no problem whatsoever pretending that the Ghost is an archer, the vulture was a knight and the dragoon was a paladin.

Level 2
uhm blizz made a statement for such things as "attributes" and stuff you should be able to "create" your own with the editor (too lazy for looking for the real post/thing)

Level 3
I started WC3 map editor about a month before Starcraft II Beta was announced to finish off old maps that I stopped working on because I went to other games. I didn't get very far since there seems to be a bug in my World Editor which BSOD my computer randomly while the editor was open. I got frustrated at it with lost progress so I stopped until Starcraft II Galaxy Editor comes out.

Level 3
I Agree Completely, Go to U.S. WEst and look at the game names... 3/4th of the maps are hosted by bots, 1/4 of the others are just ridiculously unpopular and BAD Maps.
Wc3 will never die...but it will be a lifeless shelll...

I think that will stay forever. And I think Starcraft2 won't change this.
People have kept playing SC and WC3 at the same time and the same will happen with SC2.

Starcraft 2 and Warcraft 3 are 2 different themes and it is another feeling to play each game. I mean, I've got a beta but it's not real something new and after some ladder games in SC2 I've still played WC3. In fact some fans will completely stop playing WC3 and prefer playing SC2, but the themes are still different. What I want to say is, if you play for example Sheeptag in WC3, you have such units as normal humans, sheeps, wolves, rangers etc.
But Starcraft2 doesn't have them still because of its futuristic theme.
That way you have to import all stuff you need and it needs more time to create a map. It's the question how fast a community will deliver models and whether the map creators have the desire to search and import things.
With things I mean also Sounds, Terrainstuff and Doodads.
I don't know much about the new terrain, but you need also 'green' terrain and I haven't seen something now in such direction(at this point I may be wrong, but you know what I mean).
Thus it is the question when there will be a flood of new maps and community stuff for SC2, it can even take up to 6 months after release until there is so much stuff as the wc3 community has. Well, and then it's already D3-time.

But how much players will play WC3 no one knows, it depends on the players and the new maps which let the WC3 battle.net keep running.
Warcraft 3 cannot even die because if you buy Starcraft2, you will pay to keep the Warcraft3 servers alive ;)!

Level 19
I think that will stay forever. And I think Starcraft2 won't change this.
People have kept playing SC and WC3 at the same time and the same will happen with SC2.

Starcraft 2 and Warcraft 3 are 2 different themes and it is another feeling to play each game. I mean, I've got a beta but it's not real something new and after some ladder games in SC2 I've still played WC3. In fact some fans will completely stop playing WC3 and prefer playing SC2, but the themes are still different. What I want to say is, if you play for example Sheeptag in WC3, you have such units as normal humans, sheeps, wolves, rangers etc.
But Starcraft2 doesn't have them still because of its futuristic theme.
That way you have to import all stuff you need and it needs more time to create a map. It's the question how fast a community will deliver models and whether the map creators have the desire to search and import things.
With things I mean also Sounds, Terrainstuff and Doodads.
I don't know much about the new terrain, but you need also 'green' terrain and I haven't seen something now in such direction(at this point I may be wrong, but you know what I mean).
Thus it is the question when there will be a flood of new maps and community stuff for SC2, it can even take up to 6 months after release until there is so much stuff as the wc3 community has. Well, and then it's already D3-time.

But how much players will play WC3 no one knows, it depends on the players and the new maps which let the WC3 battle.net keep running.
Warcraft 3 cannot even die because if you buy Starcraft2, you will pay to keep the Warcraft3 servers alive ;)!

You forgot to count the impact that the Galaxy Editor will have on WarCraft III's community. One of the major successes with WarCraft III was the editor and its thriving and innovative mapping community. However, StarCraft II provides a lot more functionalities and the editor a lot more possibilities so it would only be natural for most mappers to move on.

Basically, the mapping community which is the driving force behind WarCraft III will mostly move to StarCraft II leaving WarCraft III rotting.

Status
Not open for further replies.