• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

So... will people still play WC3?

In the face of Starcraft II, will you remain faithful to WCIII?

• I'm staying with WCIII

Votes: 94 61.4%
  • I've already gotten SCII; goodbye WCIII

Votes: 18 11.8%
  • I'm thinking about gettign SCII, and will stop from WCIII if I get it.

Votes: 27 17.6%
  • I'm too poor to afford SCII, so I'm stuck with WCIII

Votes: 14 9.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
I still play WC2 every now and then. WC3 is a different game and I'm positive many people will still play it at least until WC4 is out. However, I don't think I will ever play SC1 again seeing how SC2 is the same gameplay only better.

As far as modders go, I don't think they will ever mod WC3 again as soon as the Galaxy Editor is out, but your question was playing. Yes, many people will still play WC3.

Level 3
You forgot to count the impact that the Galaxy Editor will have on WarCraft III's community. One of the major successes with WarCraft III was the editor and its thriving and innovative mapping community. However, StarCraft II provides a lot more functionalities and the editor a lot more possibilities so it would only be natural for most mappers to move on.

Basically, the mapping community which is the driving force behind WarCraft III will mostly move to StarCraft II leaving WarCraft III rotting.

I counted the Galaxy Editor indirectly.
As I mentioned already the two different themes, it is the most important thing. It is not the question how good an editor is,
it is a question how much I like the game(its theme etc.) to design a map for it. And you are right, most of the community will move to design maps for SC2. But why will WC3 die if there is another theme and existing maps?

Well: Pros for SC2: New DotA, better looking TD's etc.
3rd/1st Person Shooter will be better than WC3

Cons: A lot of existing maps for WC3, and a remake will take sometimes
too long for SC2. But well, in this case the most of WC3 maps will be redesigned, we will see how it changes.

Nevertheless it feels different to play both games.

Level 2
Dota..?

Why do everyone HATE Dota? it's just a warcraft 3 mod like all other mods. I just want an answer on that. Is it because it is so more popular than your mods?

Level 27
No =p

I like how starcraft has been the base for the gameplay in war3 though the game was so ugly when i played it i really didn't like it that much.

However i do like SC2 alot better because of the same fast paced gameplay and many possiblities in strategy and offcourse graphics which are actually good to look at >.<

And on top of that custom games will be soo much better and more creative. More functions just means more types of maps or hybrids of already existing types or whatever.

Level 12
Its like you people don't even try to hide your lack of sources any more.

Just to confirm for those who still need reassurance (ie: the stupid or infirm): Yes, SC2 is still going strong. I sincerely hope i don't run across a question like that again...

I do believe he was using sarcasm.

Level 12
We might develop a StarCraft II section, but WarCraft III will NEVER die. Ever.

Themes? Yes. That's one major reason WarCraft III will stay alive.

Why do we hate DotA? Because you're judged at being good at Wc3 due to being good at DotA or not. And yes, it crowding the game list is annoying as well. Not because I want my game to be better, as I know it will never be, but I'd like at least a CHANCE for SOME people to try my map...

Level 35
@Etzer: Srsly, considering you obviously found the Starcraft 2 section of hiveworkshop, is that not a good indication that the hive itself will prevail? I mean, srsly, come on, Ralle is far from stupid. He's not the kind of person who wouldn't prepare for something like this, as this section itself is blatant proof of that. Show a little more faith in Ralle next time, please -.-

Level 6
Blizzard needs to organize the types of custom games for starcraft 2 in Battle net. WC3 is just a mess.

Level 12
They are, have you seen the screenshots?
They also have a MUCH better filtering system.
Who hosts, blizzard or users...
What type of map, melee, TD, AoS, RPG, blahblahblah...
How big, 1-2MB, 2-4MB, 4-6MB, 6-8MB... Blahblahblah...

They know how bad Warcraft III failed.

Level 12
You upload maps to the database, remember? I said this on another thread I do believe. As you upload it, you categorize it.

Level 8
Warcraft 3 will not die that easy.As long mappers are mapping for warcraft,warcraft will survive.hmm,i think warcraft is already 7 years old.i just cant wait for war3 10th anniversary!praise to god warcraft will survive longer!

I know my mapping sucks.but sooner or later,i will be a pro mapper!"I Shall Not Betray Warcraft 3!Even DotA Stopped Updating!"

Last edited:
Level 35
I remember when I first got Warcraft 3, it was very fun although I had no idea what was going on at first lol. I was total nub back then, like 'leaving Acolytes to finish their buildingz' kind of nub XD

Then a friend showed me the World Editor and liked to show how you could set units to have insane amounts of health and stuff. Of course, I never particularly cared for making units op intentionally, so after a lot of doodling around with the melee races (simple things like making campaign units available and such due to a natural love of the unobtainable), I finally started making some new races of my own. Although they weren't any good, it was fun to find out more and more about the Object Editor, especially considering I couldn't Trigger for shit and found Terraining to be boring and tedious on the most part :p

However, I am now working on a big-ish project called 'Settlers of Rahgaer', where you deploy unit squads at the start of the match after choosing one of the many FPS inspired gameplay modes (e.g. Deathmatch, Timed Deathmatch, Control the Points, etc.), and I intend on completing it for Warcraft 3 players everywhere.

The point of the matter is that even though Starcraft was much more successful in terms of gameplay than Warcraft 3 ever was, Warcraft still has a lot of history with us and still has a lot of interest in terms of modders. And besides, it's not like everyone's going to instantly convert to the SC2 editor as soon as it comes out. I mean, most people will experiment with it, yes, but most maps will probably be put on hold until a decent variety of custom models come out for it. And even when they do, Warcraft won't die out completely.

Level 8
I remember when I first got Warcraft 3, it was very fun although I had no idea what was going on at first lol. I was total nub back then, like 'leaving Acolytes to finish their buildingz' kind of nub XD

Then a friend showed me the World Editor and liked to show how you could set units to have insane amounts of health and stuff. Of course, I never particularly cared for making units op intentionally, so after a lot of doodling around with the melee races (simple things like making campaign units available and such due to a natural love of the unobtainable), I finally started making some new races of my own. Although they weren't any good, it was fun to find out more and more about the Object Editor, especially considering I couldn't Trigger for shit and found Terraining to be boring and tedious on the most part :p

However, I am now working on a big-ish project called 'Settlers of Rahgaer', where you deploy unit squads at the start of the match after choosing one of the many FPS inspired gameplay modes (e.g. Deathmatch, Timed Deathmatch, Control the Points, etc.), and I intend on completing it for Warcraft 3 players everywhere.

The point of the matter is that even though Starcraft was much more successful in terms of gameplay than Warcraft 3 ever was, Warcraft still has a lot of history with us and still has a lot of interest in terms of modders. And besides, it's not like everyone's going to instantly convert to the SC2 editor as soon as it comes out. I mean, most people will experiment with it, yes, but most maps will probably be put on hold until a decent variety of custom models come out for it. And even when they do, Warcraft won't die out completely.

I AGREE!I REALLY 100% TOTALLY AGREE!
Your reply is really great!
+rep!!!

CyberDuelX16

C

CyberDuelX16

I'll be moving my editing headquarters to Starcraft 2 , but with the way B.net is dieing, even if i WANTED to play Wc3, i still could only do that with friends

Level 27
If you ask me, Wc3 won't die.
If you look at the massive number of players on BattleNet, even though most of them are jerks and dumbasses, it doesn't look like they're going much downwards.

What will though happen, is that the global IQ of wc3 will fall drastically with the release of Sc2 and Diablo 3. Make out what i imply with that yourself.

Ofcourse, at some point Wc3 will die out.
But i'm not expecting much of it right now.
Ya gotta show me a dead Wc3 before i don't look at it as immortal.

Level 4
Honestly, for the past half year or so I've noticed it's much harder to custom games going in WC3, even at 5pm central standard time, which used to be peak hours.

For eight years I've been able to log on at 5pm and always get a full house of 9 players for some custom maps I like, but now it's 3-4 players if lucky, and barely 1 at other times of day. SC2's release will kill off the last of that, with the sole exception of all the dota matches that swamped custom gaming.

Level 9
I would like to change my opinion. I will not be playing WC3 unless friends ask me to. SC2 is fun just laddering, which is suprising. And then the custom maps are going to be amazing.

I cant see WC3 surviving the influx of win release will provide.

Level 3
WC3 will not die for a while still, LONG LIVE WARCRAFT THREE!... When it is neardeath, I plan on being the first to make a Pokemon Map, if there are even enough models for it, or triggerable.

Level 18
1 of my friends said he didn't really care for sci-fi games so he wasn't planning on going for Starcraft 2.
The only game he played was DotA anyway and now he went for HoN. xD
I don't know for the others, but they are all DotA league players.
I guess it will depend on what happens to DotA and if it will eventually be remade in Starcraft 2 before they buy it.

Level 11
hiho,

yeah i also think that dota will be remade in Sc2.
but,... not by a single person. :D
hundrets of people will just try to make the first and best dota map for Sc2.
i can already see/feel the battle between them.

it will take a really long time until the best dota pwn all others in Sc2.
and perhaps it is soo confusion because of all the different versions that there will never be a real official version - like in wc3.

thats my opinion about this theme...

Robbepop

Level 16
I'll never move over to SC2 and will always stick to the WC3 Community. Because Blizzard had chosen not to enable LAN Gameplay, we are forced to play on B.Net serveres which I never liked. So I'll stick to WC3 until/if they ever release an expansion enabling LAN Gameplay which I doubt.

Level 25
When SC2 comes im not gonna go back to WC3, since i see no reason tbh.

I might still play dota with my friends since we had uncanny luck recently and haven't lost a game in ages.

Also can't wait for Icefrog's game to be anounced since that is the game that will replace dota, sure HoN is nice but Icefrog knows his stuff.

Level 7
Im sorry to say WC3 is dying. I cannot measure how it happens in mapmaking, as right now war3 is the best mapmaking game but in tournaments the numbers of players are less and less.

WC3 won't die untill wc4 come3s out, WC2 might be similar in game play and have a similar map editer but it's still sci-fi and people who love fantasy will always come back to wwc3.

As someone said before SC2s models are much more complex so importing costum recources will be much more scarce so infact you will be able to do less modding with SC2 not more.

Look at Diablo 1, around 8 years ago I used to play online and even tho diablo 2 had come out there was still loads of people online and it was still fun, it's officaly dead now but just goes to show a good game takes ages to die even if the sequal comes out.

Status
Not open for further replies.