• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

So... will people still play WC3?

In the face of Starcraft II, will you remain faithful to WCIII?

• I'm staying with WCIII

Votes: 94 61.4%
  • I've already gotten SCII; goodbye WCIII

Votes: 18 11.8%
  • I'm thinking about gettign SCII, and will stop from WCIII if I get it.

Votes: 27 17.6%
  • I'm too poor to afford SCII, so I'm stuck with WCIII

Votes: 14 9.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 18
SC2 differences from WC3:

Absolutely no Creeping System
Absolutely no Heroes
Thus, no items.
This all equals a much different strategy.

There are not many special abilities, therefore force and numbers are relied upon for the most part.
SC2 is resource based to the max. Whoever controls the most resources controls the game.

These are the main differences I can point out. It feels like a completely different game, which is good because that is what it's supposed to be.

Level 12
I'm already thinking about it! Instead of a Death Knight it'd be some nasty Zerg vs Protoss and Terran hunters. That would be fun :grin:

or you can do as we do like... Metastasis. With only the normal models, we can't do a very good map. But thanks to models, triggers, etc; Metastasis is a great example of realism, even if the theme differs from the real one. So you could do both ATD futuristic for now, hunting a Zerg modified Ghost or something, and later on, when we have the technology, heroes system, atributes, etc etc etc, you'll be able to make the original ATD with extra SC2 features!

By the way, you can do a creeping system. But instead of "neutral", it would be a player. May take slots, but we don't have much of a option, hey. And Kingz, I still don't get your point. WC3 will live for some years, that is obvious. WC4 will be better than SC2, but like SC and WC3, SC2 will still live a long long time.

Level 18
Well SC2 will have custom maps online so i still can't see his point....

I was indeed talking about the campaign and the ladder. Starcraft 2 (by itself, without custom maps) is nothing like WC3 (by itself, without custom maps).

Custom maps and mods are a different situation. This is why I said the way that it could kill WC3 is by having the ability to make similar types of mods to WC3.

Level 8
We just need some sick bastard to create all the Warcraft III models in high detail for Starcraft II and there will be no more reason to hang with old war3 :] I mean Starcraft II is basically Warcraft III on crack... so yeah...

Level 3
Will slowly quit WC3, but I'm definitely switching over to Starcraft 2. WC3 had a good run but b.net has been dying for a while now. Personally I think Starcraft I and II have a waay better melee, but I could never get used to the space theme. I think it's the medieval/fantasy theme that made me love WC3 so damn much :'(

Anyways, now that I'm seeing how powerful the new editor is, I'm really looking forward to SC2 as the new b.net custom game generation! :)

Level 11
hiho,

well i said "no" but after all those heavy editor bugs and missing features and functions i think about going again to wc3 until the editor is fixed. >.<

atm i can not work on my planned map because nothing what i expected works! :-(

Robbepop

Level 12
Only now, so many years later, we managed to have models, triggers, and spells to make HQ maps like Life of a Marine, Diablo III, etc etc. And there's a lot of modelers who don't work anymore... should we just concentrate on "translating" all the main models from wc3 to sc2? It is all going to take a while. Even in a year after SC2 is released... of course that all the mappers will buy it. And will already to develop.... and thanks to the community, develop and evolve faster. So yeah. In a year, maybe, we'll have some custom maps. Not only new ones, but I know many people that is going to "translate" all their maps to SC2... imagine. All the cool maps we play, with better models, triggers, and graphics. One year should be just enough.

Level 11
Only now, so many years later, we managed to have models, triggers, and spells to make HQ maps like Life of a Marine, Diablo III, etc etc. And there's a lot of modelers who don't work anymore... should we just concentrate on "translating" all the main models from wc3 to sc2? It is all going to take a while. Even in a year after SC2 is released... of course that all the mappers will buy it. And will already to develop.... and thanks to the community, develop and evolve faster. So yeah. In a year, maybe, we'll have some custom maps. Not only new ones, but I know many people that is going to "translate" all their maps to SC2... imagine. All the cool maps we play, with better models, triggers, and graphics. One year should be just enough.

Obviously many themes/maps in warcraft 3 (and starcraft right?) will be transported into starcraft 2 maps. But you don't seem to understand that the strength and creativity that has been built up in warcraft 3 will also be transported to starcraft 2. I'm confident within no time there will be skinning/model tools for starcraft 2, and MANY "retired" users will come to this game and come up with tons of brand new stuff. New maps new skins new icons new models, this is all likely to revive the best of warcraft 3 into starcraft 2.

Remember all the sweet new things that can be done with this new editor, the modding community is going to thrive and rapidly expand its user base with SC2.

hiho,

well i said "no" but after all those heavy editor bugs and missing features and functions i think about going again to wc3 until the editor is fixed. >.<

atm i can not work on my planned map because nothing what i expected works! :-(

Robbepop

You probably shouldn't expect a first-beta Galaxy Editor to work as perfectly as a 7 year old time tested World Editor. :)

Level 20
I think the real question on our lips is, 'for how long will people still play/mod wc3', it's not a matter of whether they will or won't.

I give it two years, tops. Of course there will always be someone on it... until/if they drop server support completely...

Remember that many people can't run scII on their current machines so will have a reason to remain, I know I couldn't have if I hadn't just built a new one last Christmas.

In two years, most family pc's will run it at low-medium settings easily, it'll have dropped in price and part 2 or even 3 as well will be out, that's when wc3 will be 'gone'.

EDIT: Not to mention, the modding community will be stable, there will be plenty of tut's, custom maps, mods and resources.

It was a good ride while it lasted but it's downhill from here... however wc3 will forever have a place on my shelf :).

Level 3
warcraft 3 is realy a nice game and i will ever play it but sometimes its boring so i play the sc2

Level 14
arrghghh :p i read the 300 posts in this thread o_O
im really tired now.
but ill still say what i have to

im just sad that a lot of nice people will leave wc3 modding because of all the limitations and bugs of the game engine.[/box]

EDIT: removed serious part of the text for personal safety.

Last edited:
Level 3
I'm definitely switching over to Starcraft 2. Warcraft III was fun while it lasted, but Starcraft II is far too superior.

Level 11
Most people won't care about WC3 because there will be finished maps available day zero for SC2 due to the whole editor-in-beta thing, and the improved capabilities of the editor. The fans of melee might remain for a time, but if the majority move over to SC2 I doubt they will stay for long. Additionally, I'm pretty sure you can already adapt WC3 icons and stuff for SC2, and considering we already have a community of modders/modelers/mapmakers created which will transfer over to SC2, models and resources will likely be abundant.

Also, the specifications don't seem that demanding. My oldish (3 or so years) computer can run it at all low settings without any lag or anything.

EDIT: I'm just hopeful they fix timers/periodic events with very small values, its annoying that I can't code a projectile system that isn't choppy as hell. :\

Level 21
it is possible to improve the graphics of a released game. world of warcraft got better graphics. supreme commander did as well. though a patch that improve the graphics will be a bit big. my point is that it can be done. as for the trolling accusation: if you call me a troll again i will report whoever do it to the mods.

Level 8
Wc3? Sc2? Wc3? Sc2???

I've played StarCraft and WarCraft III... They're both awesome. And when StarCraft II comes out, I'm pretty sure I'll be one of the first to buy it.

But I will always have a special place in my heart for WarCraft III. I mean come on, it was the WarCraft series that got Blizzard in with the big boys of gaming, Activision, THQ, Nintendo etc.

I'm gonna get SC2, but I'll never abandon WC3...
Peace, TheFairfield...

Level 20
Also, the specifications don't seem that demanding. My oldish (3 or so years) computer can run it at all low settings without any lag or anything.

Melee games will be nowhere near as demanding as some custom maps.

1. Modellers will undoubtedly aim for higher quality models than blizzard, as they do things like RPG's etc.

2. Just changing the camera to third/first person will increase the amount of rendering required, unless the Far Z/Field of view (forget which one it is) is small.

3. As already mentioned textures etc can be improved and updated over time, or before release (increasing system requirements).

I'm just pointing this out, not disagreeing with you, just don't get complacent, who knows what the final product will be like?

Level 11
Well, a third/first person game would never have anywhere near the same amount of units as a melee game - same with an RPG. Also, I doubt they are increasing the system requirements, not everyone from WC3 who would want to play SC2 can play it as is, and ultra gfx settings is pretty intensive and also quite good looking.
Icons can be transfered, but models are iffy, most likley no, no spells, and no skins.
I didn't mean that we would transfer models/spells/skins, I meant that we already have a community of people built up who know how to create models, skins, and that kind of stuff. Even people who have "retired" from modding and creating resources for WC3 are likely to return for SC2.

Level 1
Well, a third/first person game would never have anywhere near the same amount of units as a melee game - same with an RPG. Also, I doubt they are increasing the system requirements, not everyone from WC3 who would want to play SC2 can play it as is, and ultra gfx settings is pretty intensive and also quite good looking.
I didn't mean that we would transfer models/spells/skins, I meant that we already have a community of people built up who know how to create models, skins, and that kind of stuff. Even people who have "retired" from modding and creating resources for WC3 are likely to return for SC2.

Im afraid he meant that the community must build up all that stuffs again in Starcraft 2's galaxy editor .

Last edited:
Level 2
I will be abandoning Warcraft III. Starcraft II both looks better and has more capabilities for fun gameplay.

Level 3
Yes it is a personal doomsday for warcraft 3 once I get my hands on SC2... it's everything the same + everything better + everything more then I could have expected.

I think this time around we will get some really, really good mods out of one of blizz's strat games, and it will be grand to be on the modding scene when a game is just getting on its legs, rather than at the end of its lifespan.... I mean if you love modding blizzards games and want to say 'I was there when it began'.... well you're not going to get another chance for atleast 5-8 years

Status
Not open for further replies.