• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

So... will people still play WC3?

In the face of Starcraft II, will you remain faithful to WCIII?

• I'm staying with WCIII

Votes: 94 61.4%
  • I've already gotten SCII; goodbye WCIII

Votes: 18 11.8%
  • I'm thinking about gettign SCII, and will stop from WCIII if I get it.

Votes: 27 17.6%
  • I'm too poor to afford SCII, so I'm stuck with WCIII

Votes: 14 9.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 19
I'm glad to hear that some people still'd help make Warcraft III alive:) And I suppose when the dust is all settled between which one's better, both will have a balanced number of players...

Level 19
I'll still be quite active in Warcraft III though, because I'm barely halfway into its basics of modding...

PS: Somebody help me!

Level 6
SC2 isn't the place for modders and mapmakers but it is for gamers, I would go into detail why WC3 is better for modders and mapmakers but I only have to say one thing for now and that is WC3 can mod BNet just from a map while SC2 can not as well if I want to make my own projectile systems then I can only do so in WC3.( the point variable can't be moved or destroyed which limits SC2 heavily.)

Rui

Rui

Level 41
SC2 isn't the place for modders and mapmakers but it is for gamers, I would go into detail why WC3 is better for modders and mapmakers but I only have to say one thing for now and that is WC3 can mod BNet just from a map while SC2 can not as well if I want to make my own projectile systems then I can only do so in WC3.( the point variable can't be moved or destroyed which limits SC2 heavily.)
SC2 isn't the place for modders and mapmakers but it is for gamers. Therefore, the SC2 melee game is really great. You think so? Because the melee game left me moderately upset and displeased. It was a different type of game, sure, but compared to WC3? In WC3 you can actually micro your units, whilst in SC2 you can barely do that because everyone's playing at Faster speed. Not to mention other things that, despite other people trying to convince me otherwise, I believe make the game monotonous.
Also, you can't destroy a point variable? Did you come across such a limitation or did you read this somewhere else? Because I really can't believe they left such a thing out. Anyway, if you did stumble across this, I can only hope this is a thing to include in the final product (reminding that what we were given was the Beta).

Level 11
SC2's object editor takes time. I was able to start doing pretty much everything rather easily after about a week or two of using it, just understand that something being difficult doesn't make it bad.

On the subject of custom coding, C syntax is easier to use imo, though the lack of in-editor scripting is saddening. Don't really mind that anymore now though, as I have Moonlite to do that with.

A good number of the problems with the GE (ie banks beign so limited) are likely/hopefully beta exclusive issues, so meh. On a side note, I created an entire projectile system for my own use already, so dunno what you are smoking..

Level 3
What is it with you people and your gut instincts!!! People started creating SC2-WC3 coversions ages ago!

Last edited:
What is it with you people and your gut instincts!!! People started creating SC2-WC3 coversions ages ago!

Doesn't mean their any better.
Wc3 runs better on my comp so I think I'll stick with it.

Summarizing this whole thread in a few statements:
-No, wc3 will not die, sc2 is a continuation of the sc series, not a wc3 replacement
-Yes, some people will leave wc3 for sc2, but that doesn't mean all of them
-No, just because sc2 has shiny new graphics and a more powerful editor doesn't mean everybody thinks it's better
-No, no one can come to an agreement whether or not sc2 is a better game or not

Last edited:
Level 3
Still the fact still stands Starcraft 2 could be overshadowed by all those other great games out there. Yes I'm sticking with WC but I still like the Starcraft series. And about all that liscence stuff. I spent ages trying to understand the first few things stated in it...

Level 3
WCIII Is gonna stay alive for a long time after SCII comes out, think about it. the galaxy editor is complex, I hear importing/exporting is harder, and good models will take a while, so not too many different genres of maps will be there straight from the start.

Level 19
WCIII Is gonna stay alive for a long time after SCII comes out, think about it. the galaxy editor is complex, I hear importing/exporting is harder, and good models will take a while, so not too many different genres of maps will be there straight from the start.

Lots of maps were made during the beta and are compatible with the final release. Expect things to evolve rappidly because lots of wc3 mappers will move on.

This threads gone on long enough with the same posts every time, can we close it already?

How the posts go:
-Wc3 player: Yes, wc3 will still be alive for *state some reason*
-Sc2 Promised land seeker: No, Sc2 is the future, Sc2 will come in a wave of goodness and technology searing wc3 to a crispy brown.
-Wc3 overprotective/Sc2 hater: Sc2 sucks, it's editor makes making things impossible (I'm too lazy to learn it) / Bnet 2.0 is bloated with terrible ideas / I just hate it
-Sc2 will pwn all person: Come on guyz, Sc2 is already out, get ur lazy asses in gear and buy it

and so on, so forth

Level 3
Some people might be less fortunate than you guys. Although they want Starcraft 2 so bad, they can't get it or they want it but they cant afford a PC good enough for hardcore Starcraft 2 gaming. Not me of course, I already have it. But just condidering the lil' guy.

Level 12
Try checking SC2Mapster. Also, reviving an old thread to talk about something unrelated to said thread probably is against the rules somewhere. Be warned.

Do you think SC2 will kill off the WC3 comunity? If so is there even any piont in making any more maps now?

I hope not as SC2 just dosnt apeal to me so I for one will still be playing WC3!

Since SC2 was published the number of warcraft players became as if it was "zero at any time" and there are barely players at all

Bullshit. In Garena I didn't notice any kind of player drop. Atleast in the national servers.
:vw_wtf: See the different in the gamers which are in total bnet and in warcraft.
attachment.php

Attachments

• proof.JPG
    proof.JPG
    253.3 KB · Views: 348
Status
Not open for further replies.