1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We have recently started the 16th edition of the Mini Mapping Contest. The theme is mini RPG. Do check it out and have fun.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
  5. The Highway to Hell has been laid open. Come along and participate in the 5th Special Effect Contest.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

So... will people still play WC3?

Discussion in 'Warcraft Discussion' started by Marshmalo, Jul 3, 2008.

?

In the face of Starcraft II, will you remain faithful to WCIII?

1. I'm staying with WCIII

94 vote(s)
    61.4%
  2. I've already gotten SCII; goodbye WCIII

18 vote(s)
    11.8%
  3. I'm thinking about gettign SCII, and will stop from WCIII if I get it.

27 vote(s)
    17.6%
  4. I'm too poor to afford SCII, so I'm stuck with WCIII

14 vote(s)
    9.2%
  1. MGCǂSpectre

MGCǂSpectre

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Exactly. Instead of turning SC2 100% fantasy it will be easier to stay at war3. Instead of tunring war3 100% SC2 or some futuristic game, better go to SC2. I have many other reasons to go to SC2, GG 7 years of WC3, was getting too much and too old.

2. SasuhKun

SasuhKun

Resources:
    Resources:
    Well, if almost all the models are imported, then it won't make much of a big difference (aka HQ projects, like.. Diablo III)

3. VestriDeus

VestriDeus

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:

4. CyberDuelX16

CyberDuelX16

Resources:
    Resources:
    I Agree Completely, Go to U.S. WEst and look at the game names... 3/4th of the maps are hosted by bots, 1/4 of the others are just ridiculously unpopular and BAD Maps.

Wc3 will never die...but it will be a lifeless shelll...Dota will move to Sc2 and so will most of the Modding Community...my only regret is that is should have map my rpg sooner, cus, by the time my RPG Gets Popular (IF IT EVER WILL) the definition of "Popular" in Wc3 is 1 -3 games a day

5. Deidara_lt

Deidara_lt

Resources:
    Resources:
    warcraft is better then this lamme but otherwise i plat this too but i allows play w3 that way create more maps you guys me too creating map :D

6. deathreaven

deathreaven

Resources:
    Resources:
    You know, if the Starcraft II map creator is really as good as Blizzard claims, then why shouldn't Starcraft II prevail? There's nothing wrong with a hugely improved map maker, and many modelers here have proved they can do anything. Medieval maps would be easy. I have a feeling that it will end up being better in general, and could outdo W3 if the map editor is good. Otherwise, people will stick to modding W3

7. Pooppyhead

Pooppyhead

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    ill still play both, heck I still play sc1 but when sc2 comes out with the galaxy editor I'm totally making the map making switch

8. andreasaspenberg

andreasaspenberg

Resources:
    Resources:
    i believe that people may still play starcraft. therefore they will most likely keep playing warcraft 3. the games have a different theme. but since starcraft 2 may cost to play, the chances of people still playing warcraft 3 is high.

9. SasuhKun

SasuhKun

Resources:
    Resources:
    I'm also curious how they would make the whole hero and lvl thing on SC 2.

10. andreasaspenberg

andreasaspenberg

Resources:
    Resources:
    what i can tell is that there isnt any heroes in multiplayer by default. i have played the game so i can tell.

11. Zironic

Zironic

Resources:
    Resources:
    Warcraft 3 started it's slow death over a year ago, nowadays when I log on there's almost never any new and interesting maps hosted and 80% of the games are hosted by some automated bot. SC2 will probably be the last nail in the coffin of WC3* but will hopefully be a huge revitalization in the map making community.

*Technically some people will keep playing, but it will feel pretty dead.

I've seen some of you state that you'd still like to use WC3 for the fantasy models, but is this actually necessary?
    Think back to SC1, back then we had no problem whatsoever pretending that the Ghost is an archer, the vulture was a knight and the dragoon was a paladin.

12. Crazy Cow

Crazy Cow

Resources:
    Resources:
    I'll keep Warcraft III around, and perhaps play it every once in a while, but Starcraft II will replace it as the center of my gaming universe.

13. Linaze

Linaze

Resources:
    Models:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I still play WC2 every now and then.

14. SasuhKun

SasuhKun

Resources:
    Resources:
    I know that, Starcraft didn't have any heroes too. That's why I'm wondering.

15. GhostKnife

GhostKnife

Resources:
    Resources:
    Sad truth, ah well.

16. SasuhKun

SasuhKun

Resources:
    Resources:
    What, not having heroes on SC2? Our mappers can find create a good lvl hero system, I suppose.

17. Nothu

Nothu

Resources:
    Resources:
    uhm blizz made a statement for such things as "attributes" and stuff you should be able to "create" your own with the editor (too lazy for looking for the real post/thing)

18. Sware

Sware

Resources:
    Resources:
    I started WC3 map editor about a month before Starcraft II Beta was announced to finish off old maps that I stopped working on because I went to other games. I didn't get very far since there seems to be a bug in my World Editor which BSOD my computer randomly while the editor was open. I got frustrated at it with lost progress so I stopped until Starcraft II Galaxy Editor comes out.

19. Cyb3r

Cyb3r

Resources:
    Resources:
    I think that will stay forever. And I think Starcraft2 won't change this.
    People have kept playing SC and WC3 at the same time and the same will happen with SC2.

Starcraft 2 and Warcraft 3 are 2 different themes and it is another feeling to play each game. I mean, I've got a beta but it's not real something new and after some ladder games in SC2 I've still played WC3. In fact some fans will completely stop playing WC3 and prefer playing SC2, but the themes are still different. What I want to say is, if you play for example Sheeptag in WC3, you have such units as normal humans, sheeps, wolves, rangers etc.
    But Starcraft2 doesn't have them still because of its futuristic theme.
    That way you have to import all stuff you need and it needs more time to create a map. It's the question how fast a community will deliver models and whether the map creators have the desire to search and import things.
    With things I mean also Sounds, Terrainstuff and Doodads.
    I don't know much about the new terrain, but you need also 'green' terrain and I haven't seen something now in such direction(at this point I may be wrong, but you know what I mean).
    Thus it is the question when there will be a flood of new maps and community stuff for SC2, it can even take up to 6 months after release until there is so much stuff as the wc3 community has. Well, and then it's already D3-time.

But how much players will play WC3 no one knows, it depends on the players and the new maps which let the WC3 battle.net keep running.
    Warcraft 3 cannot even die because if you buy Starcraft2, you will pay to keep the Warcraft3 servers alive ;)!

20. redmarine

redmarine

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:

You forgot to count the impact that the Galaxy Editor will have on WarCraft III's community. One of the major successes with WarCraft III was the editor and its thriving and innovative mapping community. However, StarCraft II provides a lot more functionalities and the editor a lot more possibilities so it would only be natural for most mappers to move on.

Basically, the mapping community which is the driving force behind WarCraft III will mostly move to StarCraft II leaving WarCraft III rotting.