• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Short Story Contest #5 - Poll

Vote for your favourite entry!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 20
Let me remind people that this is the hiveworkshop... the public poll only reflects well.. probably less than 1% of the active users? D=

So just because your winning/losing doesn't mean the judging will follow suit (and that's where the real marks will roll in).

@IA - You have a soul? D:
I think I sold mine for candy... =/

...or was it that donut?

How much you want for it? T_T

Level 17
Well I haven't read all the entries and the beginning of Wolfe's and Dragonson's is a bit boring to be honest... But that means nothing, guess that's that.

Thank you so very much. >.>

I seriously hope you are being honest, because degrading work just because it is getting more votes than you WITHOUT the judging coming out is ludicrous.

Level 9
Wow took me nearly two hours to read all of these back to back ^^.

Anyways, the one that, in my opinion, deserves the win is TWIF and Grey Nightmare's. The ending was pretty surprising.

The story had just the right amount of action without going into a mode where your explaining DBZ fight haha.

The continued development of the thoughts the Golem was having drove the story masterfully, willing you to read on and learn his odd fascination with this random girl. The conflict with the people is somewhat of a cliff hanger and you don't get the full understanding of why they are chasing her, but it adds to the will to finish the story.

Compared to the others I believe it had some of the most imaginative character building and plot design.

After reading them all it came down to Wolfe and Dragonson's but for me a story is more well rounded if it focuses on character design and interesting plot twists. Wolfe and Dragon's story was more focused on the battle between "good and evil" which has gotten a little dry for me.

I take nothing away from all the entries they were all deserving of a vote, but in the end TWIF and Grey Nightmares simply left me more intrigued and wanting to hear more than the others could.

I applaud you on your story and good luck to everyone.

Looks like you've got a tie now ^^

EDIT: Haha oops didn't see that TWIF voted for himself haha thats a shame looks like Wolfe and Dragon are still in the lead the ^^

Level 17
Why would he not be honest? Do you see him/her as a potential pathetic user or something like that?

But hey, now we can only wait for the votes.

Merely getting defensive. I do appreciate constructive criticism, not just outright statements like what he just gave. It does offend me, especially when people continuously discourage our story by claiming that the users of Hive are purely voting based on names and who they know. I assumed that he was saying such things out of frustration for the way this poll has gone, but I am possibly wrong.

Level 12
Merely getting defensive. I do appreciate constructive criticism, not just outright statements like what he just gave. It does offend me, especially when people continuously discourage our story by claiming that the users of Hive are purely voting based on names and who they know. I assumed that he was saying such things out of frustration for the way this poll has gone, but I am possibly wrong.

I'm sorry I offended you, but then again that statement doesn't mean much... I really didn't mean to judge Dragonson's and your story just by the first two paragraphs :p
If to rephrase the statement, I'd say that the first two paragraphs very much discouraged me from reading the rest of the story.
I'm going to do my best at reading the entries now, so no more non-constructive criticism.

Level 20
If they voted on names they know (which could possibly be the case) there is no other way it would go than me/dragonson/wolfe/fuss popularity wise. (sorry grey)

But i hope that isnt the case.

Sorry for what? Me not being popular on thw?
muahahahahhahahahahha

No problem

I really and truly couldn't care less about popularity on a... forum :goblin_yeah:

Level 12
Couldn't care abut popularity in general.

Hence why I only have one IRL friend. And one more who's kind of a friend, if you can call being pissed off at everything you do a friendship.

Level 30
I still believe people are voting for names, not stories.
For an example, idodik & naitsirk have written a hell of the story, and got only 2 votes.
On the other hand, -Peper- & Zealon have written simple and quite lacking story, and got double votes than ID & NA.
This proves people just vote for the users, not the stories themselves. But there is a solution, only 25% of that is counted ;)

I just wanted to wish you a Merry Christmas (or any other celebration you are... well, celebrating) :3

Level 13
So you didn't vote for them because of their story?

EDIT: and yeah, what Apheraz says is true, idodik & naitsirk storys were VERY good, yet they have no votes...

Level 27
I will now be posting my final opinions on this whole discussion for two reasons:
I wont be reading this thread anymore, as i dont have time.
AND this whole thing is beginning to trouble my daily meditations for several reasons that i wont point out.

While i agree that the chance that a few people simply vote for names and not stories is definetely there, i think it is wrong to generalize that on a group as big as 'people'.
It is a field which we can not in any way prove anything, so i think it is best that we leave it as all claims related to it have the exact same backing.
At the same time the current voting system is a very bad system for judging individual stories.
While it is a good system for throwing out points in a contest, nobody should look to it to get a quality reveiw of their story.
If we want a system that systematically counts the opinion of everyone we should allow people to submit a 1-5 rating of EVERY story.
For example:
If all the people that voted for TWIF and Gray's story liked Idiodik and natisirk's story WAAY better than me and Wolfe's, there is no way to show that.
People can only vote for one story, and even though the people who voted for Bassee and Fuss maybe likes IA and Indom's story more than Peper and Zealon's they have NO WAY to show that as all they can do is vote for the single story they like more than the others.
The poll DOES NOT show what the people's general opinion of our stories are.
For all we know the people that voted for me and wolfe maybe loved IA and Indom's story, but just a slight bit less than they loved ours, and if it were up to them IA and Indom would be in the second place.
None of us can tell, so i say that you stop discussing it even though i know that you wont.

As a last remark on this i want to say that i think EVERYONE wrote a worthwhile story, even though some of them have grammatical/storytelling problems and are kinda confusing. (Note that i cannot say that me and Wolfe's story doesnt have these problems.)
Anyone who finished a story for this competition deserves REP for that, as this is a tough discipline.
My hood's off for ye' all.

Now, i will have unsubscribed to this thread by tomorrow.
So if you want to say that i am wrong and that my cat is ugly, which i am 70% sure that SOMEONE wants to, you better hurry as i will soon stop listening.
-Dragonson

Level 27
...what about mediations is it that you cant take seriously? :/
It sure helps me take the world more seriously at times...

ARGH! Another discussion!
I'l end this one right now and right here, and if anyone posts about it i will ignore it with all the power of mind that i posess.

Level 17
When I return, I will ask all of my voters whether they voted based on story or renown. I will then quote their replies to prove a point. Give the community some credit. I am really angered by this.

Level 30
Hey there, it's not as I said that everyone voted for users, not their stories. I just can drop off the feeling that some stories faded in back of stories that are not so good as others. No need to prove anything in here, Wolfe, I red all the stories and I found yours amusing and interesting. I would definitively read it again, if I had time.

Level 30
InfinateAnswers, I warn you one last time before reporting. Please, make your posts make any sense and/or are related to current topic. Spamming random posts is not a good idea, because there are users like me who detest of that.
IA apologized and removed the post. Upper comment is negated.

Vizel, are you alive? Hoping that the babysitter hasn't killed you :)
How's your judging process going on?

Last edited:
Level 13
Please guys I hope you don't get offended, I was saying that idodik & naitsirk's storys were way better then me and Peper's and I meant to say that they really deserve to have more votes then us.

I didn't even give a thought about your story Wolfe and Dragonson. You guys imo deserve every one of your votes, I never implied any of this to you guys.

Anyway, polls almost over. So good luck everyone :)

Level 12
I'm surprised to hear the appreciation heard for naitsirk's and my story in the recent posts... Just wanted to thank those who think so, and assure those who oppose that the final results are the only ones that matter.
Thanks anyway, much appreciated! :)

Level 12
Well, as an update about myself... Does that sound a little narcissistic? lol..

Anyway, I'm home now (FINALLY) after a 2 hour delay on my plane cause of iced over wings cuz it's too bloody cold up north. I don't have to work for the remainder of the (work-) week. So I have the next 3 days to get the rest of the judging finished. For now, I don't feel good and I'm going to bed.

I ate WAY too much for dinner....at 1am... >.>

Night, yall. Hope to finish up the judging before these polls are done, :)

Last edited:
Level 12
Gotta leave for appointments in a minute, just want to give a quick update.

I got busy yesterday for most of the day dealing with "people" and I'll leave that at that.

Today I have some appointments, and I'll try hard to get them finished tonight, if not, it'll be sometime tomorrow. Only a couple left.

Sorry this is taking so long. I won't be judging again any time soon. Didn't realize how little time I have -.-

Status
Not open for further replies.