• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Short Story Contest #4 Poll

Vote for your favourite entry!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
the%20hive%20workshop.png

short%20story.png
contest.png
number.png
4.png

poll.png

Great War Stories

There is no real theme, it can be someone telling the story, or the story of the war itself.

Welcome to the poll for Short Story Contest #4! Please read through the rules before voting!

contest%20rules%20and%20conditions.png

• Each user can only vote once in the poll.
  • You cannot vote for yourself. If a voter has the same IP as the author then the vote will not be counted and it may result in the disqualification of the entry.
  • You cannot create multiple accounts to vote for an entry in the poll. If a voter has been found to be using multiple accounts none of the voters votes will count in the final result.
  • You cannot bribe users for votes. Contestants who break this rule will be disqualified and given negative reputation.
prizes.png

• First Place: 40 reputation points and your entry on an award icon
  • Second Place: 30 reputation points and an award icon
  • Third Place: 15 reputation points and an award icon

entries.png

alext - The Exile's Stand
The Danish - Who Art from Heaven
Lightskin - The Battle of Stirling
Tharkas - The Clockbreaker
lateris - The Endless War
Grey Nightmare - Just like Old Times
The World is Flat - Breeze
judges.png
  • TwistedImage
  • Vengeancekael
contest%20judging.png

Plot
How well did you make the plot? Was it easily followed? Did it make sense?/10 Points

Characters
How creative were your characters? Did you use them regularly?/10 Points

Structure
How well made was the structure of the story? Did you keep the flow going?/10 Points

Flow
How well did you transition between scenes? Were there major jumps where you could not follow? Was it interesting and attention keeping?/10 Points
ThemeWhat was the story based on? Was it interesting? Did you stick to what you picked?/10 Points

• 75% of the winner shall be determined by the contest's appointed judge(s).
  • 25% of the winner shall be determined by the results of a public poll.
disclaimer.png

Inviting your friends to vote for you, bribing random members with rep and otherwise cheating with the VB poll system will get you DISQUALIFIED, BANNED from future contests, -REPPED, and possibly INFRACTED. So don't do it!

This includes, but is not limited to, sending PMs out to various users, getting other people to send those PMs, advertising this contest on other sites with the intention to gain more votes (whether it is explicitly stated or not), and so on. If you are suspected of cheating, the staff will notify you and interrogate you (hopefully) over PMs. <3​

Last edited:
Level 13
Is Midnighters back in his judge role or did Py screw up?

My internet is being screwy and lasts 2 minutes at a time, so readin the stories is sorta hard.

Level 20
heh :D

Hmm, maybe... you don't have to though, it's not in the rules or anything. Though perhaps... I should say, it's not meant to be serious - it was intentionally far-fetched - ridiculous and hopefully "humorous".

If you do review it again, try and look at it like that? See if it changes it for better or worse, but really I don't mind - being a judge is tough - you can't give everyone a high score. I understand that :)

*Thanks to everyone who voted for me anyway, that's really made my day =D

If you do review it again, try and look at it like that?
Yes i guess that would make your rating better, i may have been too harsh :)

Edit: All right guys i may be doing a mistake here or something, but lightskin's story didn't turn out to be that good in my review o.o When i looked at my rating, i was like w00t and checked everything again. So tell me what you thought of his story. Also, alext should be removed from the poll, he only posted once and he didn't even mention that it's his final submission. Just don't vote for him and if there will be votes, they won't be counted.

In AD 2101, war was beginning.

Captain : "What happen?"
Mechanic : "Somebody set up us the bomb!"
Operator : "We get signal"
Captain : "What!"
Operator : "Main Screen turn on!"
Captain : "It's you!"
Cats: "How are you gentlemen, all your base are belong to us! You are on the way to destruction!"
Captain: "What you say!!"
Cats : "You have no chance to survive make your time HA HA HA HA"
Operator : "Captain!"
Captain: "Take off every Zig! You know what you doing. Move Zig, for great justice!"

My entry is late, sorry, please add it to the poll!!!!

Level 13
With the way things are set up here, though, originality is hardly even a factor.

Also Kael, how many reviews have you done? And can I replace theme with grammar/use of language? Having grammar/language not be a factor in writing a story is SLIGHTLY SILLY.

Level 6
And can I replace theme with grammar/use of language? Having grammar/language not be a factor in writing a story is SLIGHTLY SILLY.

I originally suggested the "Theme" category to Midnighters in order to allow the judging to encompass the deepest and most provocative elements of each story, but something tells me that neither of you judges even understand the literary concept of theme. I know Midnighters sure didn't, hell, he never even fixed the ambiguous and incorrect nature of the judging guidelines.

I hope that your reviews are top notch, unbiased, and meticulous, because these people deserve it.

Level 13
I originally suggested the "Theme" category to Midnighters in order to allow the judging to encompass the deepest and most provocative elements of each story, but something tells me that neither of you judges even understand the literary concept of theme. I know Midnighters sure didn't, hell, he never even fixed the ambiguous and incorrect nature of the judging guidelines.

I hope that your reviews are top notch, unbiased, and meticulous, because these people deserve it.

I perfectly understand the concept of theme, but none of the submitted stories are literary. They're all genre.

If there comes a Literary Short Story Contest, then sure, I'll judge for theme, but trying to excavate themes in stories that have none is pointless; I'd rather judge based on something that is present and prevalent in the story.

Level 5
Damn you TWIF, and damn you, Grey. You took my wife, my son and my friends and now you're here to take even this away from me!
1337ed be your souls!

Level 13
I might need someone to step in and do one review for me - I've got today and tomorrow to review, then Thursday and Friday are messy, then I'm going to Mexico early Saturday.

Again, though, I'll do my best to finish them all.

Level 13
Entrants (that is all of you), I recommend not to use adverbs for speech attribution. Since everyone made that mistake except for TWIF, I won't deduct points for it, but yeah. No self-respecting writer uses adverbs for speech attribution.

That's right, not even minimalist writers. D:<

Status
Not open for further replies.