• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Short Story Contest #5 - Poll

Vote for your favourite entry!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
Well, it may be some time before i get to judging everyone's. I'm going to be very busy. And once I'm off vacation, I'll be working overtime again. Then school starts :p

Hopefully I can get them done. :)

Level 30
Well, it may be some time before i get to judging everyone's. I'm going to be very busy. And once I'm off vacation, I'll be working overtime again. Then school starts :p

Hopefully I can get them done. :)

I hope you will finish before the poll ends. Look at me, I have enormous size of things to do (in a real life) and I still managed to send it quite fast.

Level 12
No, you guys don't know how it is to have to take care of a stroke victim do you?

Took me 2 hours to read wolfe's story because I had to constantly stop and see to him. Another 45 mins to judge for the same reason. Then it was dinner and family time.

I'm busier on vacation than when off vacation. My mom also has the whole vacation planned out, and today is my last "free" day till the plane ride home.

I HOPE I can get it done before the polls. But we will see.

Also doesn't help when I have an offensive nurse breathing down my neck trying to tell me how to do a job I've been doing for 4 years before she even started. She's 100% bitch.

Level 30
Hour to read, 30mins to judge?
Actually, no. When they decided to take me as a Judge - from that moment I was judging along to this point. It's quite hard to get and compare many stories, and even harder to do that when you get many pretty well made submissions.
dont forget 5 hours to procrastinate.
*ahem* *ahem* This only applies to some persons.

Level 30
Quick sum that I made.

Wolfe & Dragonson - For intriguing battle story lovers.
InfiniteAnswers & indomitable1319 - For lovers of knotted stories, romance and mysteries.
idodik & naitsirk - For emotional souls who like empathic stories and tight situations.
-Peper- & Zealon - For lovers of short, cock-and-bull stories.
baassee & Fussiler1 - For lovers of modern stories, and mysterious endings.
The World is Flat & Grey Nightmare - For lovers of a good battle in our minds.

Level 12
I don't want to know what "cock-and-bull" stories are. Unless it has something to do with foxes and hounds o_O

Furthermore I feel there's a slight misunderstanding about my previous post. My grandpa had his stroke a few years ago, he's partially paralyzed, and his brain doesn't function normally. He likes to yell at the animals and try to chase them around, he's a real handful. He doesn't speak coherently.

Tried to take him to the bathroom earlier and the nurse my mom hired went berserk saying I'm not certified to do that...I've been doing it longer than her.

So, don't smoke, kids. This could be you. Paralyzed. with your grandson cleaning you. :p

Level 30
I don't want to know what "cock-and-bull" stories are. Unless it has something to do with foxes and hounds o_O

Cock-and-bull stories are stories that are dedicated to a hunter and/or hunted. They usually possess elements of over-exaggerated situations, absurd happenings or quite impossible and unprovable tale that is usually accepted by the listener as a fake one.
Lol funny because, i originally didnt plan for it to be a romance
Ending contains elements of us ourselves. We are asking the life question at the ending, is it always like that?

Level 12
i'll probably get the second done before i go to bed tonight. If i can ignore the phone long enough to get any reading done, >.>

Cock-and-bull stories are stories that are dedicated to a hunter and/or hunted. They usually possess elements of over-exaggerated situations, absurd happenings or quite impossible and unprovable tale that is usually accepted by the listener as a fake one.

Where I'm from, we call them stories "Full of shit" but usually entertaining, :p

Level 17
I must admit, I do regret our story. No offense to Dragonson, but reading Apheraz's "summaries", I would've much preferred to have written a story with emotional meaning. =/

Regardless, Vizel - take your time. =P

Level 27
No offense taken wolfe. I get your point quite clearly, and i sure do understand it. :p
Right now i'm just happy that we got our story as good as we did, as it had potential to be much worse, lol.

Maybe we should've gone with another of my ideas, or one of yours, and maybe we shouldnt.
We'l never know, so i suggest we dont wonder too much about it. ;)

Level 12
I could just use my gay co-worker's catchphrase.

"
Bitch, I'm from the smack-a-ho tribe
"

Wonder how that will go over.

On Topic (Kinda):
Won't be doing one tonight :(

Had some ice issues to take care of earlier, stupid winter.

Level 20
I'm pretty much surprised at how much I'm like Johan.
I do a pathetic job at impressing a girl that's two years older than me.
In our story's case, Johan does a pathetic job at impressing Shinozu; that's five years older than himself.

All the best writers, willingly or not transfer life experiences to their work ;P

I must admit, I do regret our story. No offense to Dragonson, but reading Apheraz's "summaries", I would've much preferred to have written a story with emotional meaning. =/

Regardless, Vizel - take your time. =P

I'm sure if you look closely, there is emotional meaning in your work, emotion doesn't have to be the obvious; love, sorrow, joy or despair.

It can be hate, jealously, justice, determination, courage and so much more.

Either way, in these short stories true emotionally twisting tales are hard to nail down.

@wolfe, ours was supposed to be an emotional story in its entirety.

that's where me and flat tripped up, we couldn't fit all we wanted to in the time we had, in an 'emotional' story that's disastrous.
It's something you need to build up paragraph by paragraph, line by line and word by word.

The poll results show that your story doesn't suffer for not going down said path, if anything I regret trying that complex approach... ;/

Wanna swap entries? ^^

hehe, just kidding. I wouldn't swap Alyssa and Urak for the world, if it weren't for them I wouldn't know you, dragonson, twif, fuss and many more.
I probably wouldn't still be on the hive... :O

There's history there, lots and lots of history. That's probably why we feel so bad (as if our story doesn't do them justice).

Right now i'm just happy that we got our story as good as we did, as it had potential to be much worse, lol.

Maybe we should've gone with another of my ideas, or one of yours, and maybe we shouldnt.
We'l never know, so i suggest we dont wonder too much about it. ;)

Exactly, nothings perfect and what's done is done, don't look back.
Why dwell on the bad? Tell us what you like about your story, what you think you did well - it's that which needs to be carried forward into your future works.

Well I haven't read all the entries and the beginning of Wolfe's and Dragonson's is a bit boring to be honest... But that means nothing, guess that's that.
Anyways the judges haven't spoken yet.

Don't judge a book by it's cover, or in this case a story by it's introduction. ;)

I seem to remember there being a REALLY boring chapter in lotr the two towers, the golden hall? Or similar. It doesn't make the book any less epic imo :D

Level 17
Well I haven't read all the entries and the beginning of Wolfe's and Dragonson's is a bit boring to be honest... But that means nothing, guess that's that.
Anyways the judges haven't spoken yet.

If you read books, then you have a basis in your mind that you arent conciously aware of, my story reflects on my basis of a good book. Everybody has that book that they just love to read, even if you have not found it yet. Many things can influence it and once its found a solid ground it doesnt change that much. What may seem boring to you, someone else would love, I.E. I find stories that have too much realism boring, i like a little fictional touch to it, but still keeps its modern realism. Thats why people can say their story is the best, because to them, yeah it is the best. Unless they didnt like what they wrote and that goes against the judging preferences,
Did the writer enjoy their story?

Status
Not open for further replies.