• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Second Human Book of Arkain (Patch 1.29.2 or newer!)

This bundle is marked as director's cut. It exceeds all expectations and excels in every regard.
arkain_2020_x200-png.369838

! No longer updated !
Check out the
True Story of Arkain for updates !

full

A Campaign Series made by Shar Dundred

! Requires Version 1.29.2 or newer !
You are not allowed to publish any edited version of any Arkain map! This includes but is not limited to Reforged edits!

Story

Betrayed, invaded, defeated.... The Humans of the Empire suffered greatly in their fight against the Demons. They have now lost another kingdom in the war against the Demons and the inner conflicts are just about to start. Only a strong hand and leadership can lead them to victory against these odds.
Command the cruel General Gardon Bloodclaw and unite the estranged factions of the Empire by any means necessary. Withstand your enemies, both inside and outside, and face the horrifying Demons.
The question is... how far are you willing to go for absolute victory? Will you have to sacrifice your humanity in order to achieve victory? Only time will tell.

Campaign Series Info

The Legends of Arkain is a campaign series which takes place on the world Arkain.
The races of Arkain fight against the demon invaders, who try once again to enslave every being on Arkain. The Humans, the Orcs and the Undead will have to make a stand against them... or face complete annihilation or enslavement by the Demons.
This campaign series will consist of actually three different series. There will be a Human, an Orc and an Undead campaign series. They will all run in the same timeline but will present three different stories and outcomes. When they are all finished, it's completely up to you, who wins this conflict.
Those, who win the war, will write the history.

You like the campaign?
Click here to see the progress of the series!

Click here for the First Human Book!
Click here for the First Orc Book!
Click here for the First Undead Book!

Click here for the Second Orc Book!
Click here for the Second Undead Book!

Let's Play made by @Jayborino!
Features

- Three different storylines/campaign series
Take control of one of the three factions, the proud Humans of the Empire, the plundering and strong Orc Clans or the mysterious Undead Nexus and their endless army of the dead, and face the demonic invasion as well as other struggles that await you.
- New units
Command units, you already know, as well as completely new units with new upgrades and abilities.
- Decide the fate of Arkain
At some points of the campaigns, you'll have the opportunity to decide things, that affect the storyline, characters and sometimes even the chapters you play or how you have to play them. By doing or, well, not doing certain side quests, you can also affect the campaign.
- Three difficulties
You can play the campaign in either easy, normal or hard difficulty, just like in the original WC3 campaigns. It will impact on the AI difficulty and scripting as well as other minor changes.
In easy version, for example, the AI won't rebuilt lost buildings.

- Full Jass AI
In this campaign series, every single AI is written in Jass instead of being created with the AI editor. This makes the AI more intelligent.
- Universal hotkeys
All abilities, units and buildings use QWER hotkeys.
- Race Mechanics
Every available race has its own unique race mechanic to improve gameplay - and, in some cases, to add new ways influencing the story.

Characters

full
General Gardon Bloodclaw
General Gardon is the most ruthless and merciless general in the Empire. He is known for using every available weapon against his enemies without showing any pardon. His background is a mystery. He simply appeared out of nowhere and became general. He proved very fast, that he got that position for a good reason, destroying the enemies of the Empire with fast, merciless effectiveness. He is the commander of the Ironfist, an elite force of the Empire, which often carries out top secret missions for the Emperor himself. According to rumors, Gardon himself enjoys the favor of the Emperor - much to the frustration of many higher-ranking Imperials. Yet none would dare make a move against him, as in the past, such attempts ended in disaster.
The fact that Gardon was forced to retreat because the inner conflicts of the Imperials had weakened them too much, infuriated him a great deal and he longs for a chance to take revenge on the traitors.

full
Admiral Merlon Seabright
Both in the Imperial and Royal Fleets, Admiral Merlon Seabright is a living legend. It is said that he was the captain of the ship that killed the Terror of Feraldir, a gigantic, demonic sea monster that had terrorized ships for thousands of years. Merlon dislikes staying on the shore for longer than absolutely necessary, for the sea is his true home. He is said to have been a critic and even an enemy of Gardon Bloodclaw until the two of them were assigned to a special mission. After that mission, Merlon remained silent about Gardon and even proclaimed to assist Gardon whenever he was needed.
Today, he is Gardon's most loyal ally who is not part of the Ironfist.

full
Larine the Exile
Larine used to be the personal guard and a good friend of the elven queen. However, she began criticizing the fact that the Elves were hiding in their woods instead of fighting side-by-side with the Imperials and Dwarves. She blamed the Queen for the fact that the Elves were despised by many of the Humans who had been forced by their surperiors to defend them. She left the Elven Kingdom and was later exiled. She went to the court of King Dorten of Kerrel and started working for him, gaining his respect. Trained in both archery and nature magic, she is ready to fulfill her surperior's every command.

full
Lady Cora Redfist
Following her father's wishes reluctantly, Cora joined the Imperial Army instead of continuing her studies in the Imperial Academy. Having proven herself as a valuable asset of the army, she was given the offer of joining the Imperial Navy. She had always loved the sea and knowing that the Imperial Navy would enable her to progress further in her studies of water magic, Cora accepted the offer and became a member of the navy, later serving as the liaison officer between the Imperial Navy and the Golden Guard.
Over time, she developed a certain dislike for Renald van Durce, the general of the Golden Guard, considering him arrogant beyond measure.

full
Lord Brian the Fallen
Long ago, before the Empire had set sail over the sea, Lord Brian was a high-ranking member of the Emperor's court. People were afraid of the lord in dark armor who was said to study the forbidden dark arts of Shadow Magic. One day, he and his family disappeared without any trace of their whereabouts. Since he didn't return after many years, people started to believe he had died. However, in truth, he had discovered ancient secrets and power. Whatever happened to him, it made him immortal and gave him unknown power and knowledge. It remains a mystery what he has done over the past centuries.

full
High Lord Inquisitor Renald van Durce
Being one of seven younger brothers of the former emperor and therefore one of the uncles of the current Emperor, Renald could have lived a peaceful life of luxury in the Imperial palace. However, he loathed his other brethren for letting the luxury make them become lazy and corrupt. Becoming a great warrior-priest and leader, he himself led the final assault that removed all Demons from the continent of the Empire. Renald had always been arrogant, but his success made it even worse. However, his loyalty towards the Emperor is almost limitless and only the Emperor himself can command van Durce. Whenever he and his Golden Guard are sent on a mission, the Emperor sends his finest, most loyal and most arrogant soldiers.
His full title is:
High Lord of the Imperial Court, Lord Inquisitor of the Order of the Righteous, Lord Consultant of the Emperor, General of the Golden Guard.

Click here to learn more about the other characters!

full

171388-albums8729-picture107345.jpg

171388-albums8729-picture107346.jpg

171388-albums8729-picture107347.jpg

171388-albums8729-picture107348.jpg

full

full

Initial Release

General:
- After finding out what caused the game to crash in the current iteration of 1.30, I fixed the Angelic unit, selecting it should no longer cause any crashes (Don't worry, I have fixed this with a 1.29 iteration, you do not have to update to the latest patch and I still advise against doing that, but those of you who already patched should be better off now)
- Increased the durability of Lord Brian the Fallen
- Armor of the Holy Bastion now also increases the hit points by 500 in addition to its 15 armor bonus
- Fixed Spears of Pain icon

Chapter Twelve:
- Added Resistant Skin for the Purificator in both A and B

Chapter Thirteen:
- Increased hit points of Krogar the Conqueror by 500

General:
- Replaced Krogar's Stampede with The Horde, summoning a group of permanent Moghtar warriors
- Praxeus gained the Memory of the Past ability
- Plating no longer increases armor and reflects damage, instead it now reduces all inflicted damage
- Lord of the Shadows no longer splits Brian, instead it allows him to summon up to four permanent Shadow Creatures from corpses
- The amount of trainable Black Dragons is no longer limited to 2, go train more, go nuts
- Replaced Horgar's Barrier ability with Lightning Rune, summoning a rune that attacks enemies
- Changed the model for the Healing Rune
- Horgar and Zarin have both received Spell Resistance
- Changed Gardon's title from Butcher to Warmonger
- Gardon and Praxeus now both have a new permanent item

Chapter Seven:
- Changed a few epilogue lines for the Undead if Larine becomes queen

Chapter Eleven A and B:
- Slightly edited and fixed some dialogues
- Added new dialogues

Chapter Eleven A:
- Fixed the issue with Zarin's portrait not appearing when speaking

Chapter Eleven B:
- Added more enemy Black Dragons and Black Drakes to make sniping the enemy bases with Destructors less efficient

Chapter Twelve A and B:
- Removed the lines coming from the three liches in the intro cinematic

Chapter Fourteen A:
- Salana and Larine may both now call on the Elven Forces (Salana may even call upon a certain hero if she is still alive)

Prelude:
- Adjusted the lines at the beginning of the map regarding the choice system from the First Human Book

General:
- Fixed the description of the Old Amulet

Chapter Nine:
- Praxeus should now start with his proper item, the Old Amulet, rather than the Ring of the Exile

General:
- Fixed the tooltip of Lightning Rune
- Vail's leadership bonus now correctly states that the increase is permanent
- The campaign no longer uses the latest melee patch due to several balance changes messing up things, a few unit changes still apply to the campaign however
- New icon for the Bowman
- Increased the hit points of Knights to 840
- Some grammar fixes
- Dark Secrets now displays the duration
- Fixed the hotkey for Lord of the Shadows

Prelude:
- Fixed the issue with the prelude finishing too early

Interlude Two:
- Fixed the skipping issues related to this cinematic

Chapter Nine:
- The hotkey for sending Marin lumber has been removed

Chapter Thirteen:
- Fixed the tooltip for Korgar's ultimate

Chapter Fourteen A:
- The hint now tells you that Salana/Larine can also summon a wave of allies

Chapter Fourteen B:
- The Old Amulet item should no longer lie on the ground

General:
- New upgrade "Skull Shield" available from Chapter Seven on

Chapter Eight:
- Replaced most units of the Order of the Flame with new, Order-specific ones

Chapter Five:
- Replaced the hero in the yellow base with a weaker hero to decrease difficulty

General:
- Upkeep reworked: Low Upkeep now gives you 8 instead of 7 gold and High Upkeep now gives you 6 instead of 4 gold

Chapter Seven:
- The items you get from Larine if you chose Salana are now the ones from Chapter Six instead of Chapter Five

Chapter Twelve:
- Replaced the building models used by the Dominion to better showcase their new organisation
- Changed the names of some edited buildings

Chapter Thirteen:
- New model for Orie Redfist
- New model for Red Mages

Chapter Fourteen A:
- Replaced the building models used by the Ironfist to better showcase their new organisation
- Replaced the models used by Peasants and Militia
- Changed the names of some edited buildings

General:
- Most maps now have their own unique loading screen made by @Rhapsodie

General:
- Shieldbearer Changes:
* Decreased the damage dealt by Shieldbearers by 3
* Decreased hit points from 1500 to 1100
* Increased food cost from 4 to 5
- Reduced the movement speed of Warmechs in air form
- Increased the food cost of Black Dragons from 8 to 10
- All workers now start with Repair activated automatically
- New model & icon for Sir Praxeus "The Holy Bastion" Braelon
- New icon for the Order of the Holy Bastion leadership bonus

General:
- Several tweaks and fixes (including changes that fix some bugs caused by newer Blizzard patches)
- Changed & Replaced several unit types and hero models to fit their kingdom/faction
- New models for Thanok & Claire (courtesy of @deepstrasz)
- New model for Shieldbearers (courtesy of @HerrDave)

Chapter Eight:
- Replaced Brutes with Firestarters

General:
- New model for Duke Redfist (courtesy of @Rhapsodie)

General:
- New model for Sir Jay Bubblerino (courtesy of @deepstrasz )

Chapter Eleven:
- Fixed the loading screen of Chapter Eleven

General:
- Fixed the food cost for Black Dragons (was 8, should have been 10)
- Fixed the button positions of Dragonhawk Riders and their Cloud upgrade

Models & Skins:
Blizzard Entertainment
67chrome
epsilon
Wandering Soul
infrenus
Tauer
AndrewOverload519
Mephestrial
Dojo
PrMosquito
Hawkwing
Em!
dickxunder
acagnip
Uncle Fester
Frankster
Mc !
IamMclovin
AhhFreshWeeD
Sin'dorei300
Elenai
Kuhneghetz
CloudWolf
alreadyused
Dark Hunter1357
Dmitry Rommel
Kitabatake
Shar Dundred
RazorClawX
Uljimasa Hojo
eXciTe
Sellenisko
frostwolf
-Grendel
Skipper
Deolrin
gookywooky
Callahan
BlinkBoy
Hueter
Coinblin
supertoinkz
SuPa-
Tarrasque
Power
Afronight_76
chr2
olofmoleman
imforfun
Deolrin
Pyramidhe@d
HerrDave
Meteor_demon
kangyun
Kael Theron
PROXY
JetFangInferno
JesusHipster
Makoodzaka
Rizz_Boomer
Arowanna
Rhapsodie
deepstrasz

Icons:
Blizzard Entertainment
Uncle Fester
CloudWolf
xylign
SkriK
CRAZYRUSSIAN
Darkfang
GreyArchon
67chrome
Fjury
PrMosquito
INSEKT
Muoteck
dickxunder
Frankster
CloudWolf
Kuhneghetz
Elenai
Heinvers
Shar Dundred
Uljimasa Hojo
SinisterX
Darkfang
Hemske
Palaslayer
NFWar
Hellx-Magnus
Justicebringer
Sin'dorei300
sigelang
Mr.Goblin
Mythic
antihero
Sellenisko
-ToasT
jigrael
Just_Spectating
APproject
Pins
Eagle XI
kangyun
-Grendel
BLazeKraze
Mc !
Kael Theron
Stanakin
JollyD
The_Silent
-Berz-
chr2
olofmoleman
San
Scias
Akolyt0r
Peekay
Edge45
ChevronSeven
4eNNightmare
Arowanna

Music:
Bastian Kieslinger - Tears of the Mire (used in Interlude Four)

Campaign Preview Screen:
Heinvers

Campaign Logo:
Mythic

Loading Screens:
Rhapsodie

Campaign Chief Development Tester and Grammar Genius:
Kasrkin

Additional Testing:
Championfighter25

Terrain Improvement:
Imperator (Prologue, Chapter Four, Nine, Eleven, Twelve)
Heinvers (Chapter Three & Chapter Eight)

Everything else made by:
Shar Dundred

First Supporters:
Theoden of KoMe
Chen
youness
Kasrkin
kakuzu
BandolXD
Heinvers
Imperator
Veritas 117
PlankingWolf

Please contact me via PM if I forgot to give you credit for your resource!

To Blizzard Entertainment for this great game.
To Turnro whose great campaigns inspired me to revive this old project.
To Jayborino for his enjoyable let's play projects of the Arkain series!
To all who supported this project!
To all who reported bugs and gave/give constructive feedback both during and after the development!
And very many special thanks to Kasrkin, who supported the creation of this project in many, even countless ways!

Feel free to post your suggestions, opinions and questions!
Please report any bugs!

Keywords:
Arkain, Legends, Legends of Arkain, LoA, campaign, series, Gardon
Contents

Legends of Arkain Second Human Book (Campaign)

Reviews
2016-04-10 Rufus: Rufus ReviewMap ScoreGameplay:25 / 30Aesthetics:20 / 20Total:45 / 50 Rating Chart 45-505/5 Highly Recommended35-444/5 Recommended25-343/5 Useful15-242/5 Lacking0-141/5 Unacceptable Gameplay That was one damn good first...
StoPCampinGn00b
Restricted under author request / work in progress rule.

Pick your favorite character

• Total voters
Level 21
I've gotten a lot of comments lately on all my WC3 videos from people asking how to get the patch and asking why things aren't working for them in Arkain or other campaigns requiring 1.29+

I think a lot of folks just don't even understand that they can't patch because they don't actually own the game. From one perspective, I know there are places in the world where buying even a cheap game can cost a huge portion of a week's paycheck, but that is obviously not most or all of the people asking.

Level 10
To be honest, given the amount of FREE content just here on hiveworkshop, those few bucks are worth it.
Come on, man, dont you recognize electronic gold when you see it?
Its not like those thieves from star wars empire at war that revive multiplayer just to force cd owners to buy game anew.

Level 10
Is it finally finished?
I have been away for a long time it seems...
I will be sure to play it now.

Level 1
Oh so it automatically changes to hard diffuculty on next mission, no wonder i had so much trouble, ignore my last comment ty (but still how is it possible on hard difficulty?)

Level 9
Oh so it automatically changes to hard diffuculty on next mission, no wonder i had so much trouble, ignore my last comment ty (but still how is it possible on hard difficulty?)

It doesn't. It defaults to whatever difficulty you have your vanilla campaigns set to. Go to any one of the vanilla Frozen Throne campaign screens and change it to normal. I don't know if you have to do it to all of them, but I would just to be safe

Level 2
Man, Chapter 5 hard difficulty is madness and ridiculous. Enemy reinforcement is in warpten they kept on coming, one after the other. My troops can't survive the onslaught and just beyond the gate the teal base has towers and troops waiting just ahead.
Could you please like delay the enemy reinforcement there are 7 bases in total I think.

Also, the ironfist should have a base of operation and its too hard to control 3 base at the same time. Might've just make one of them Larine or Cora an npc or make the player choose a character among the three who will accompany Gardon.

Thank you and reconsider my suggestions

Level 21
Speaking of difficulty settings - I finished ch 4 last night and it made me wonder what Hard difficulty is compared to Normal. I have no issue surviving and pushing in a cycle to make progress, but with a full army cap I can't imagine getting into an enemy base more locked up than Teal's on ch 4 (there are also Trebuchets killing you that you can't get to).

I Haste/Inner Fire/Unholy Frenzy my frontline Elites and Executors, swap to Skeletons, use Crushing Wave, snipe buildings with a group of artillery, and can reinforce an army 3-4 times right away. Yet, I feel like I was only barely able to get in there! I'm about 95% sure I'm only on Normal, so what is Hard like and what sort of army composition and attack tactics would even work? Just what I'm doing, but faster clicking? I'm definitely only middle of the road in terms of execution speed.

Not a comment here saying things are too hard, I'm just curious :) I imagine tower creep is a necessity and also sitting in no upkeep for 2 hours early on.

Level 3
Good day to you sir!
I'm one of your fans of Legend of Arkain series. I would like to ask if could you please create a melee map of their races--> Imperial Army, Orcen Horde, Undead Nexus and Blooddrinker Legion. I think it would be great. I guess it would be best if it's created once the series is finished though. I hope you'd give a reply soon. Thanks again for your maps and may they all get completed in due time...
That would be great :)

Level 1
I'm in chapter 4. This campaing is so hard, and the maps took so much time. But the story is sooooo good that I keep playing. Another great campaing!!

Level 1
After the Order of the Flame mission, the whole campaign goes downhill, looks like it was rushed so that it is to be done as soon as possible, the missions are very short compared to the other ones. Great campaign, with a great story, sad you had to make it bad in the end

Level 1
when i downloaded this file and entered the game before the first chapter could begin it kicked me out!!!!!

Level 1
when i downloaded this file and entered the game before the first chapter could begin it kicked me out!!!!!
You must have the 1.29 version, besically if you don't have the original game you can't play this campaign. Pirated version doesn't work

Level 10
It doesn't affect the main storyline later on if I let it happen that Adeale refuses the shard both times and Salomar lives in Prelude "choices of humanity" right??
Because Aedeale is still revealed that she is affected by the demonic influence in the prologue. If it matters later on and the story changes, let me know. I might start it again after I finish this because I decided to go full demon mode for Aedeale right now.

Level 10
It doesn't affect the main storyline later on if I let it happen that Adeale refuses the shard both times and Salomar lives in Prelude "choices of humanity" right??
Because Aedeale is still revealed that she is affected by the demonic influence in the prologue. If it matters later on and the story changes, let me know. I might start it again after I finish this because I decided to go full demon mode for Aedeale right now.

It does. Big time actually. In chapter 13 you will have a couple of choices. If you go full demon,
you wont be able to spare papa redfist even if you click that choice

Level 21
In map 7, Lera joins me a few minutes before the renegade Golden Guard do (not sure if GG rebel all the time or if there was something I did to cause that). The timing of this though leads to Lera's base falling almost instantly - I wonder if there is a way to save her base long enough for GG to rebel, because those two could probably hold their own.

Last edited:
Level 22
In map 7, Lera joins me a few minutes before the renegade Golden Guard do (not sure if GG rebel all the time or if there was something I did to cause that). The timing of this though leads to Lera's base falling almost instantly - I wonder if there is a way to save her base long enough for GG to rebel, because those two could probably hold their own.
The Golden Guard rebel after you've killed Captain Ironside for a second time.

Level 21
I've played through map 7 and can confidently rate five stars because these missions have me thinking about them when I'm not playing and I'm in anticipation throughout the day to get back to playing them. At the ripe age of 30, I covet that feeling - when I actually experience it again these days - for any form of entertainment; it reminds me of a simpler time, waiting anxiously to get home from school to play a fun game that had me utterly hooked. I may do a write up with more details when I'm all finished to break down why Arkain does that for me, but here's the star rating at least in the meantime.

Last edited:
Level 2
hi,the hardness of this compaign is ridiculous,you will not be able to win past lvl 7 or 8 missions there is just no way

its too unbalenced

to many ennemie spawning you will not be able to win even with micro and macro goodness

i strongly want to know if anyone managed to do it its just impossible

by the way i played in normal difficulty and it felt like harder than hard difficulty

its just insane lvl 9/10/11 you will not win in normal i just wonder how hard settings is, its just ridiculous

normal should fells normal not impossible

Last edited:
Level 10
hi,the hardness of this compaign is ridiculous,you will not be able to win past lvl 7 or 8 missions there is just no way

its too unbalenced

to many ennemie spawning you will not be able to win even with micro and macro goodness

i strongly want to know if anyone managed to do it its just impossible

by the way i played in normal difficulty and it felt like harder than hard difficulty

its just insane lvl 9/10/11 you will not win in normal i just wonder how hard settings is, its just ridiculous

normal should fells normal not impossible
I won everything in easy difficulty because I found normal and hard difficulties impossible as well. I think it's not rewarding either, no item additions or something to assist you. This is my opinion

Level 2
i just downloaded a new version like 15 minutes ago and it keeps saying "FATAL ERROR BLAH BLAH BLAH memory could not be written" when i hit the prelude "choice of humanity ,oh and erased all my progress i had finished the level where gardon defeats the golden guard and kills van durce and oppisete level where van durce kills gardon .

please help me i love this campaign .

i just downloaded a new version like 15 minutes ago and it keeps saying "FATAL ERROR BLAH BLAH BLAH memory could not be written" when i hit the prelude "choice of humanity ,oh and erased all my progress i had finished the level where gardon defeats the golden guard and kills van durce and oppisete level where van durce kills gardon .

please help me i love this campaign .
Do you read the red mark in the description?

What is your patch?

Level 2
Do you read the red mark in the description?

What is your patch?

i just found out i need patch 1.29.2 but i only found 1.29.1 will it work or not ?

why the hell did he make it for 1.29.2 ,its not fair i bought my game in a foreign country so there is no way for me to update my game i had to get a new one so unfair man

and i even replaced my old campaign file so all progress have been lost i had finished 11 level damn it ?

Last edited:

i just found out i need patch 1.29.2 but i only found 1.29.1 will it work or not ?

why the hell did he make it for 1.29.2 ,its not fair i bought my game in a foreign country so there is no way for me to update my game i had to get a new one so unfair man

and i even replaced my old campaign file so all progress have been lost i had finished 11 level damn it ?
You can easily register your official keys to Battle Net website.

Progress will reset when you download this version, as the older ones are BETA materials.

Level 2
so whats next an orc book 2 or undead book 2

and a if there is no book 3 for humans how will the story progress for them

if aedale didn't consume the artifact will she be able to spare her father or does she need to NOT consume the shard as well

Level 22
so whats next an orc book 2 or undead book 2

and a if there is no book 3 for humans how will the story progress for them
There won't be any new Arkain book in warcraft III. They may be released in the future as real books.

if aedale didn't consume the artifact will she be able to spare her father or does she need to NOT consume the shard as well
If she doesn't consume the shard and artifact you can spare her father.

Level 5
Finally finished the campaign
Ok i only played van Durce in the latest maps
and it was hard, frustrating and about 50 other emotions so i'd like to write a bit other it.
Before i start: i downloaded the campaign in may and did not read the entire chat so maybe there are already some changes.
As in many other posts: Spoiler Alert.
Also i'd like to give an award to the units within maps: Most-Valuable Unit
First about the entire campaign
The difficulty is hard even if i only played on normal (and 2 missions on easy) and sometimes ridicilous but in most cases (not all) balanced.
Many different and unique units are very interesting and give the player different strategies even if the best strategy in many cases seems to be playing the turtle.
The heroes are also interesting to play and have well written stories (even if i don't really like some decissions). Also van Durce became my favorite hero because his chararacter is much more interesting than he is presented. However his skill are way to passive in my opinion.
Another thing i really like is the Leadership you can chose but the implementation is not perfect since it required restarts in many cases because i wanted to read it. The enemy often just attacks to early with too many troops to read it.
Now let's start with the missions

Mission 1 The Bootlicker
We see a new charakter: Zed. It's interesting to play with this summoned unit in many cases but it seems that he is forced to be mentioned in so many dialogs. Also i liked it to get rid of the Golden Guard Soldiers ^^
And it is a map without a base making it easier than others.
MVU: hard to say but i chose Gardon

Mission 2 Dark Blades
The demons are here! Since i already played the beta version of the campaign i focused the hidden Demon Gate and had nearly no problems clearing the map. Most demons only came from the south western part of the map so it was nice to play it.
MVU: Cleric (Great support)

Mission 3 Rebellion
This is my favorite mission in the campaign because the enemy has nearly no OP-Units but many weak peasants.
One feature was that the peasants used the Archs to port to a certain point so i could keep them away using many towers and some Executioners to prevent them from dealing too much damage to the towers.
A little problem was that Retka had barracks in the villages so that his troops disturbed my attacks upon the village with the Marauders.
MVU: Watchtower

Mission 4 Lord of Shadows
I liked Brian's Shadow Creatures because they brought a stealth aspect to the map. Somehow i missed the shade near the trebuchets.
At least it was possible to play toghether with a useful ally (Until the major got killed)
Something i disliked at the plot here was that the Undeads have again everything planned perfectly and that they have Plot-Skills (Port Gardon away; One-Shot Salomar in the Intro of the campaign) --> I am no fan of plot-skills
But this map had good balance and Zed was a good defender (i didn't used him to attack because i wanted him to stay alive)
MVU: Shadow Stalker

Mission 5 End of an Uprising
Yes this map was a bit harder but not impossible even if i lost some buildings in the main base. It was interesting to play 3 player slots which could be specialised to specific roles (E.g. i used the Golden Guard as support units because of their leadership bonus)
The trebuchets are difficult to rate: on the one hand they are op but on the other hand they prevent the mission from beeing ridicilous long.
About Retka: I killed his base with trebuchets and destructors and wanted to execute him with a small force: Vampire-Aura is quite nasty.
About Imperator: I killed Retka and Scarlett gave up (nice option) so i could kill the templars with the entire force --> It was more interesting than using destructors like i did it in the beta but he died quite fast ^^
A problem here was that i got nearly no possiblity to build another base so most of the time i played a turtle and a attacking group to clear the city.
MVU: Trebuchet !!

Mission 6 Burning Forest
In the beta i didn't finished this map because there i haven't seen how op the Terror-Class-Ships are. With them i killed all factions except the Elven Main Base and the Dark Elf Base so this map wasn't too hard but still interesting. A problem i see here is that Merlon's Leadership bonus seemed quite useless to me because terror ships are the only ships you really need.
MVU: Terror

Mission 7 Long Live the Queen
The Queen is dead - long live the queen.
In this map i had some moments where i thought "Shar Dundred could be quite ok". There were many enemies but since the half army of the Golden Guard started a rebellion (Meh ... it is way to hard to keep them alive) and Sapphira supported me with Frost-Wyrms it was very nice to play. (Honestly i didn't trusted Aridon to be dead - i hoped so but as the end shows he as not dead --> He makes way too few mistakes in my opinion but i doesn't prevent the story from beeing interesting)
The Assassins of the queen were more anyoing than a real danger so Walkyries and Dragon Hawks (and Frost Wyrms) could easily kill them.
MVU: Knights of Kome

Mission 8 Burning Corruption Away
Finally another mission without a base where it was possible to explore the map (and got f**ked by Demons).
It was interesting to have here another decision even if it was possible to see that the Fire Spirits were the "good" guys. (if you can speek of good guys in Arkain)
And Progaderas died another time.
So here is nothing much to mention.
MVU: I would say Harmos

Mission 9 Lords of the Golden Guard
Well this mission was of the kind that throws and anvil in your face.
We have an ally - i like it - but this ally can easiliy be killed by the stupid Dragons and is no real threat to the enemy. I only kept him alive because i didn't wanted to have the Dragons in my base. Speaking about the base: Why the heck are there 6 Demon Lords with quite bad loot in the woods. This shouldn't be anything a Demon LORD should do.
And also the orcs were attacking with an interesting group of different units. (I am interested to see how they organised this creepy group of units)
The demons were ... ok ... but what really killed my nerves where the Knights. The enemy has OP-Units but i have only the Golden Guard and the Units together were not that strong as the Ironfist.
Also at the beginning the strategy was again to play the turtle while harvesting wood to get Destructors (and to kill Demons and Orcs with them)
Here was the only time i really used WhosYourDaddy 1 time.
MVU: Destructor

Mission 10 Menace Below
Speaking of an anvil in my face. Here came the second anvil. Why do the dwarves have to be surrounded by enemies again (like in the first human book). At the beginning it seemed that there would be a choice about who will play together with the dwarves but i was surprised that the King has chosen to help the Golden Guard.
I tried it on normal but there are just too many kobolds (or i failed clearing early enough)
Then i played on easy where it nearly became way too easy but i should mention that i played quite aggressive on this easy difficulty.
Wouhou let's kill Progaderas again.
MVU: Rune Priest (or were they called Battle Priest?)

Mission 11B End of the Ironfist
Yes i have chosen van Durce because he became very sympathetic in the interlude.
There were many enemies to fight but it was good balanced because you had 2 allies and got a group of Airships from Marin that could be used to kill Merlon and the Knights of Kome when their armies where busied and the Elven and Royal army because they couldn't attack my airships within the forest.
And van Durce had to kill his nephew :(
MVU: Pride of Humanity

Mission 12B Purification
The third time we play on this map and this is the ultimate turtle-map. (The next anvil comes in)
3 Factions to kill each spamming units as heck and they kill each other only sometimes.
The Dominion was the easiest (and funiest) faction to kill because i could use my Destructors. (Shot the fortress --> run away --> shot again --> wait i got attacked --> look to the Destructors --> F. you Brocktar)
The Demons unfortunately had Nether Drakes so i had to wait.
A good point was that the other factions adapted to missing enemies which kept the difficulty at a certain level.
Finally only the Undead where remaining so i thought: Let's kill them in the open field.
But no - They are just imba so i had to wait for the Purificator (Sorry but this is bad map design because it only makes the map longer but without making it interesting since i could easily keep the Undead dead)
MVU: Paladin
My strategy was to use heros and Paladins to keep enemies away and some Crossbowmen to shot from behind.

Another thing on this map/ before it: 3 Lichs talking about "balance" if i remember correctly --> Again the stupid OP-Undead (or old gods?) having everything under control

Mission 13 The Red Night
No base! I like it. (Even if it was challenging)
There is not much to say about gameplay but about the story.
Volarian is no Tyrant?! (Why changing between first and third person from storytelling :( )
If i do a second run on these campaigns (then only on easy) i don't take any demon-eye.
Yey artifacts corrupted with the essence of a demonic bitch...
At least the other hero got the Slavemaster-Soundset (for me it is still Kobayashi of Shards of Resistance)
MVU: Adaele

Mission 14B The Golden Crusade
I tried it on normal but when i ran out of Gold and had no fleet i sayed: "Forget it. It takes too long doing it on normal" so i switched to easy where my ally's AI got broken and he didn't sent any troops.
Using Oil as gold is interesting but the way you have to get it here is just ridicilous because the enemy can spam ships as heck so it became too stupid for me. (on easy it became possible)
Mostly this map's content was: Building battleships - we need more battleships - hey could we have some more battleships. Oh and you need Pegasie (i don't know if this is the plural) to kill Terror-Class-Ships
MVU: Battleship!!!
About the difficulty: a problem i see is: that normal difficulty is much much harder than easy (the gap is way to big) which says "lol you noob try this"

Then i have seen the end of this campagins.
The Golden Guard was the target of a Plot-Skill!!! So it seems that it doesn't matter if you chose to play Golden Guard or Ironfist. (Maybe i'll find out)
Adaele seems to have died and here body got recyceled by Lisara.
Oh and Aridon is not dead what a biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiig surprise and he does what he do best: tricking the mortals and recycle them.
Largoth replaced the Emperor and Gods manipulating the story: i just say meh.

Arkain is only the name of the continent? ok - i thought the planet/ world has this name but ok.

Ok this was a long text. I hope that the future campaigns will reveal more of the story and that the balancing is good there.
:gg:

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
Version 1.30 and its "hotfix" may have heavily damaged the playability and the balance of Arkain.
It most likely also caused new bugs.

This is NOT limited to Arkain, other custom maps seem to be affected as well.
I advise you to stay away from that buggy patch for the time being.

Level 7
This campaign is crazy. Most other campaigns hard mode seem to be easy mode in comparison ; like that mission 11 of CotF who so many complained about is a breeze compared to the average mission of this campaign.

I was affected by the infamous "difficulty reset" bug, and I didn't notice it for a while : chapter 2 was easy BUT having completed the side quest before destroying the orange base was a big mistake, as without attack waves the enemy stacked and it was painful to get rid of it faster than it was respawned ; chapter 3 was not very hard during the first part (I suspect even with more attack waves it's the same in hard ; catapultes + arcane tower reveal allow to clean up efficiently, and a bunch of tower at the arrival point of the teleporter takes care of the attack wave), but when I tried to establish a camp in front of the 3 other camps entrance... That was an awful grind. Guess a single attack may have avoided the western bases spamming me with their full stream of attack units. Also, gotta love Cora's ultimate.

Chapter 4, I don't want to know how it would have been in hard. Arcane towers were extremely useful to clean up the blue base, but taking out the other bases is an awful grind. For the last quest, despite having prepared full tower defences and production building before triggering it, it was a pain to break through.

For chapter 5, I corrected the difficulty setting to hard, and holy hell, it's attack wave upon attack wave upon attack wave ! Now, with a good start to avoid having too many enemies swarming you later on, it's doable, and thankfully you can spam units to replace your losses, so the later part allows to breathe. But I fear what may yet come in the remaining chapters...

Taking out an enemy base or completing a sidequest feels like a bigger victory than entire chapters in other campaigns (which is probably why I keep playing, also, the story).

Level 2
The difficulty is still ridiculous especially the dwarven mine chapter 10 have to use whosyourdaddy to wipeout pink.
I stopped for 2 months but then again I don't find the endless waves of s**** kobolds amusing at all.

Level 5
well if you play any Legends of Arkain Campaign:
- you want a story mode that is harder than the WC3 campaigns --> play on easy
- you want to get f***ed --> play on normal
- you are a korean on drugs --> play on hard (ok maybe some maps are playable?)
I am not sure if there is the so called Kasrkin-Mode: play it if you roundhous-kick Chuck Norris

Level 11
well if you play any Legends of Arkain Campaign:
- you want a story mode that is harder than the WC3 campaigns --> play on easy
- you want to get f***ed --> play on normal
- you are a korean on drugs --> play on hard (ok maybe some maps are playable?)
I am not sure if there is the so called Kasrkin-Mode: play it if you roundhous-kick Chuck Norris
All the maps are playable on hard, but beatable without the cheats, I highy doubt it. The campaign itself is pain in a butt :confused: :eek:

Level 7
Having completed some more chapters (all on hard), they are easier than mission 4 on normal (and that 5 on hard, imho the micro at the beginning to take out the first enemy base is tricky).

6 is the easiest, especially, if you are patient : you have access to one of the most OP units ever for 0 food, the terror, with its insane range AND dps. You can raze 3 entire bases (teal, blue, north-eastern yellow) without losing any units, and you can also defend much easier against enemy attacks (but better be careful with the friendly fire).

I felt generous at first saving Scarlett Retka, but it leads to Cora's departure... I reloaded to kill her and keep Cora.

7 is probably a very long grind without any save reload. With them, however (and I think they are just part of how you should play this campaign if you're not insane), it's not very hard to defend your base. You need to be quick to take up opportunities, destroying the western base when the game gives you a few minute respite from enemy attacks, before going to rescue your ally (even if it means losing units on the way and having a less well defended base, having it to tank some of the attack waves for you and do some attacks on its own is much better long term). Use aerial units to take out the buildings producing the invisible bastard archers, and you're good.

The AI of the undead is broken. Towards the end, they often start to send an army and then pull back before having even seen the beginning of the fight. It seems AIs have a hard time to manage attacks over a long range.

Sad Gardon choose to kill Salana, despite her and him having helped each other a lot in the first book (and in the choice selection at the beginning, I'm 100% certain to have chosen that option, I got Salana next to Gardon with small hearts). The death of Blen was a bit sad, but it makes some sense. Here, however, it seems to be a preemptive strike, but unwarranted. The cutscenes shows that thankfully she isn't dead, but still.

8 has some very tricky fights, so it's difficult for a mission without a base, but those are also always easier. Though sometimes there are surprises. For the first fight against a demon hero, the trick is to not use regular units who get wounded too fast, but only one hero and his summon to hit, and the other to heal. If you begin with enough mana, you will be able to heal all damages until it's dead.

9 can be quite frustrating when several enemies attack together, thankfully if you pull off they may kill one another before turning on you. As there is no healing priest, I used mass boosted paladins as they are very sturdy (like RotBE's bloodknight, but stronger). The sidequest is key, as it helps you to defend your ally much easier (I tried building towers, it was useless), and to take out the demons building. As soon as you reduce the number of offensive waves against you, you just need patience.

Those orcs who keep attacking my armies as a revenge for their last crushing defeat only to be crushed once again are getting quite annoying. It wasn't even a sidequest, but I crushed them just for the sake of it.

Level 7
@Championfighter25
Thank you for the information. I know in Arkain, choices have consequences, but it wasn't obvious at all this was a significant choice. I may have to redo all the missions in "whosyourdaddy" mode then to see how the story evolves otherwise, but cleaning up the maps to retrieve tomes and items will take time...

@RamzaBeouIve
Currently on mission 10 in hard. At first, I'd tend to agree with you : the endless waves make it look impossible. You are attacked on all sides, your units can't move fast enough between positions, and towers are useless considering how easily the enemy destroy them. However, I think I have found an efficient trick.

At the beginning, I completed all research I could, and trained some paladins/rifleman. When I received my first (or only ?) reinforcements, I moved to the north-west. The dark red base is defending a gold mine. With your built-up troops, you have more than enough to steamroll its guards and raze its buildings. That's one enemy base out of six, and already less attack waves. With your miners, build a new townhall here, and establish there your main base. Let the old one be destroyed, its position is undefendable.

Now, all your enemies are forced to take one, and only one path to attack your base. This mean that instead of having to move constantly and being always too late, your units can block the enemy efficiently. And if you look at the end screen, you will notice that your enemies are not all in one team ; the orcs are in a different team than the other enemies. Why does it matter ? As they all must take the same path to reach you, they will now encounter each other and kill each other ! So this also means less powerful attack waves.

Now, I still need to find what's the best next step - I may try to take out the blue base quick in order to reduce the attack waves further, if I can manage to do it fast enough. Red seems like a good third target, but a town portal scroll is probably mandatory to get back to base defence afterwards. With 3 out of 6 enemies base taken out, it should become much more manageable. I'd probably target the orcs 4th as they can destroy your base real quick if you don't have units defending it, but seem less scary in unit-vs-unit fight than fire golems in the last two enemy bases. From then on, it's probably possible to take back the initial goldmine and the red and yellow ones, before overwhelming the remaining enemy bases one after another.

EDIT : Blue taken out as forecasted. I could take out red without too much pain because purple decided to attack the orcs rather than me at the good moment. It seems rather random, it could have attacked me instead. Paladins are marvellous units, with hard skin they take extremely low damage against swarms of weak enemies and can easily heal away the rest. I now think that purple is easier to take out than the orcs, because despite the fire golems, they don't have any rebuild capacity so any destroyed building is a permanent progress.

EDIT 2 : Purple and yellow taken out. For purple, I did a main assault with my paladins and heroes. They couldn't gain ground in the narrow path, but they could survive extremely well. Meanwhile, I sneaked the two cleavehand golems from the western entrance. They could destroy buildings one after another without being stopped. Then, it was just a matter of finishing the formed units. At this point, you receive few attack waves and the mission has become easy. I attacked yellow after having killed its hero, and a full frontal assault worked well. You can destroy enemy units much faster than they are formed and heal away all the damage they dish. And this is with the dwarven leadership bonus instead of the paladin one, which I highly recommend instead. The additional hitpoints don't help that much as you should heal it earlier, but the additional armor and damages make them even scarier. I have not yet taken out the final base, but the strategy is very simple. The southern entrance is blocked by a mass of units, a frontal assault may work with buildings to refill your troops, but it is bound to be very costly as your enemy can refill his troops too, and fire golems are powerful beasts. Instead, you can destroy the mushrooms between the yellow and coal bases. Launch a small attack on the south to keep the enemy distracted while you destroy its buildings from the north. Once the enemy troops regeneration is down, you're bound to win.

EDIT 3 : Actually, at some point the whole enemy army attacks you. If you have some tower prepared to welcome it, it makes things easier, as the buildings are left undefended.

Last edited: