• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

PROXY's Gallery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 51
After quite a long pause I've found back to modelling a bit.

While finishing some requests I have to do, I worked a bit on a witcher like model.

Mesh is scratch made till now. Chest will get another texture, head will be edited from arthas or something.

Attachments

• witcher.PNG
    witcher.PNG
    255.6 KB · Views: 174
Level 39
Looking great so far!

One thing though. The feet and hands look very small. Well, they look realistically proportioned which would be great if not for that fact that it's for Warcraft 3. WC3 models tend to be have very exaggerated proportions, because of the RTS camera angles. If the proportions are too realistic you can't see any of the details because they are too small.

Look at the bandit for example:

Bandit.jpg

The hands/feet are as big as his head. And the bandit is not even that bad, look at Arthas:

1400689-arthaspaladin2.jpg

Hands are even bigger than his head.

Anyway, just my two cents. If realistic is what you're going for then that's great! But if you want the model to fit WC3 better I'd probably scale up the hands/feet a bit.

Level 49
Fantastic work. I love the details. Unfortunately, however, this model suffers the same problem as much of your other work. This Geralt looks far too thin - less like a badass Witcher, and more like a scrawny teenagers. Bulk him up a bit! His shoulders, legs and arms look like sphagetti right now. Look at some other models, like the Blademaster, or Arthas, and try and give him proportions more similar to that.
Also, something is a bit off about his head and hair. Have you tried using the white Hair.blp from one of the campaign menu screens? I think you should cover up his forehead a bit more with the hair, and make the hair a bit less "Arthas"-like.
Also, I haven't played any of the Witcher games, but doesn't he usually have cat-like glowing eyes? Those would be a great addition!

EDIT: Everything Tauer said applies, too. I haven't seen his comment. :)

Level 51
Goblin assasin. Works with gadgets but also with potions, poisons and stuff.

Mask and gadgets are kinda inspired by dishonored.

And she's female, kinda not too noticable, but she has maiev animations.

Still something is lacking, more teamcolour of course, but something that makes her stand out.

Attachments

• front.JPG
    front.JPG
    31.2 KB · Views: 158
  • arn.JPG
    arn.JPG
    37.1 KB · Views: 103
  • head.JPG
    head.JPG
    42.3 KB · Views: 150

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Goblin assasin. Works with gadgets but also with potions, poisons and stuff.

Mask and gadgets are kinda inspired by dishonored.

And she's female, kinda not too noticable, but she has maiev animations.

Still something is lacking, more teamcolour of course, but something that makes her stand out.
Fascinating; nice idea. I like the mixture of Chem & Mech.

I agree she could use a bit more TC, but in a way you can get away with less-than-normal, saying she's sort of a "spy" unit (i.e. shouldn't be super-noticeable). Still, an extra *something*...

Also, I think she'll be great as a unit, but not sure she'll be impressive/heroic enough as a Hero (common issue in your models, really. Sorry I can't think of how to improve it).

I think the skull-mask-with-zoom-lens looks pretty wicked, but I think it might be doing the character a disservice. Hard to tell it's a Goblin or a she; almost makes me think "demon" or "undead" or something. Maybe a long bouncy ponytail? Or a sharp, jutting chin? Or a crazy hair style poking out of the wraps?

Pretty neat stuff. : )

Level 39
Looking good so far! I love the skull mask. But I agree with Kyrbi0, it makes it a bit hard to see that it's not undead. I'd try to blow up the proportions of some things to make it a bit clearer that it's a goblin.
Maybe make the nose longer? Scaling up the ears could work as well, but they are already quite large.

If you want more TC couldn't you make the scarf team colored?

Keep it up :)

Level 51
News. The Goddess of War is now mounted and ready to rumble.

Features thrall animations combined with the felbeast and wolf animations.

Edit: Made some minor updates and uploaded it to the model section

Edit: Final version with flaming blade.

Attachments

• felarchon.JPG
    felarchon.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
Level 49
He looks really good! I love the robes, shoulders and all of the skull accessories. However, I think you should look into some minor animation fixes with WarForger or MDLVis or something to make his hands look a bit less broken, since they do look a little strange right now. And also, for some reason his face looks a little... Strange, to me. The eyes may be a bit too squished, or something about the mouth. The idea of that mouth is cool, but for some reason in practice it looks a bit strange. Maybe making the eyes slightly bigger and less squinted will fix it though.

...Dem Blademaster sandals, tho. :p

Level 39
News: Guldan. Gonna hop on the orc hero hype train.

The team coloured part of his robe will get a better texture.

To come: Spikes out of his back, staff, and all the other wod staff.

Awesome! I do love Orcish Heroes :p

Looking great right now, I like the skulls. That smile is wicked awesome haha. I'd probably decrease the space between his nice and mouth a bit though. I'm glad you used the Far Seer texture for the head, that's always how I pictured Gul'Dan in my head:

180682-guldanmetzen.jpg

I don't like his stereotypical old/wrinkled/distorted villain face in WoD.

I'll probably be making my own Gul'Dan at some point too :)

Last edited:
Level 18
i perfer adding the spikes on his back . why Blizzard design all the warlocks' back with spikes and bones even in warcraft 3 ? of course there is some reasons . u know , Guldan is a thin and bony orc . so the reason why Blizzard add the spikes on his back is that they want him look a bit 'stronger' , looks more like a boss .

for example , a cone will looks like more sharp than a sphere . so those spikes will give the charater some 'growing power' aesthetic feeling . will give him potential stretching forces . sorry for my English , i am not sure if u can read this , but this is principle in art .

if u wont add them , just pull off ur cam to look at the WIP pics or just stay the pic size with the attached thumbnails : he has no special points , we will just find that he is a caster , even we can not see clearly that he is a orc .

so if a boss , or a hero has no his own characteristics , then it will be a failed art design .

u know a game character always need to see its general looks . especially with the warcraft 3 game angle . now the works are really nice , but now it just look like a nice caster , but not a nice Guldan .

and most of the artists from blizzard are really great in all the game companies . so their art designs are really good works . as a professional artist in a game company , i can see that , just trust me . good work for it ~

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
I'm lovin' that Gul'dan, man. Quite cool.

I unfortunately must echo (at least in part) what Paladinjst is trying to say; it's actually something I think many of your models could use. That is to say, you make excellent models, but more often than not I feel the Heroes lack a certain "heroic-ness". One of the ways this is achieved (at least in Wc3) is by having some ridiculous 'set-piece', some prop or nurny (weapon, backpack, feature, etc) that really helps give the model a sense of 'greatness' and 'grandeur'.

Team Fortress 2 is another amazing example (if I may so compare) when it comes to the utter relevance of aesthetics in game design; one of the most striking & memorable features is the aesthetics. Not just the colors & shading (they took forever making all-new shaders & stuff for it), but by virtue of the character's themselves; the silhouettes are unique & discernable at a great distance, and each is a manifestation of the character.

Now, I must say I'm also not a huge fan of the ridiculous back-spike-rack thing (now with new Skull (TM) attachments!)... But something? Perhaps a giant broken section of Mannoroth's tusk, laden with demonic runes? Or a giant bubbling cauldron (well, more Trollish really)? Summat.

Still, lookin' good. Love the face.

Level 39
i perfer adding the spikes on his back . why Blizzard design all the warlocks' back with spikes and bones even in warcraft 3 ? of course there is some reasons . u know , Guldan is a thin and bony orc . so the reason why Blizzard add the spikes on his back is that they want him look a bit 'stronger' , looks more like a boss .

for example , a cone will looks like more sharp than a sphere . so those spikes will give the charater some 'growing power' aesthetic feeling . will give him potential stretching forces . sorry for my English , i am not sure if u can read this , but this is principle in art .

if u wont add them , just pull off ur cam to look at the WIP pics or just stay the pic size with the attached thumbnails : he has no special points , we will just find that he is a caster , even we can not see clearly that he is a orc .

so if a boss , or a hero has no his own characteristics , then it will be a failed art design .

u know a game character always need to see its general looks . especially with the warcraft 3 game angle . now the works are really nice , but now it just look like a nice caster , but not a nice Guldan .

and most of the artists from blizzard are really great in all the game companies . so their art designs are really good works . as a professional artist in a game company , i can see that , just trust me . good work for it ~

Very good point. I never thought of it that way. The silhouette is indeed especially important when it comes to low-poly models, and without something towering over him on his back his silhouette would be very underwhelming.

I'd listen to Paladinjst if I were you, the guy is a professional. He knows what he's talking about ;)

But I agree with Kyrbi0, that you could perhaps add something else than the WoW spike-thingy, which I really find ugly and stereotypical as f*ck. But maybe that's just me.

Level 18
I'm lovin' that Gul'dan, man. Quite cool.

I unfortunately must echo (at least in part) what Paladinjst is trying to say; it's actually something I think many of your models could use. That is to say, you make excellent models, but more often than not I feel the Heroes lack a certain "heroic-ness". One of the ways this is achieved (at least in Wc3) is by having some ridiculous 'set-piece', some prop or nurny (weapon, backpack, feature, etc) that really helps give the model a sense of 'greatness' and 'grandeur'.

Team Fortress 2 is another amazing example (if I may so compare) when it comes to the utter relevance of aesthetics in game design; one of the most striking & memorable features is the aesthetics. Not just the colors & shading (they took forever making all-new shaders & stuff for it), but by virtue of the character's themselves; the silhouettes are unique & discernable at a great distance, and each is a manifestation of the character.

Now, I must say I'm also not a huge fan of the ridiculous back-spike-rack thing (now with new Skull (TM) attachments!)... But something? Perhaps a giant broken section of Mannoroth's tusk, laden with demonic runes? Or a giant bubbling cauldron (well, more Trollish really)? Summat.

Still, lookin' good. Love the face.

I'm so glad to see that u know what i say . u know , i still worried about my bad English will not express clearly .

Very good point. I never thought of it that way. The silhouette is indeed especially important when it comes to low-poly models, and without something towering over him on his back his silhouette would be very underwhelming.

I'd listen to Paladinjst if I were you, the guy is a professional. He knows what he's talking about ;)

But I agree with Kyrbi0, that you could perhaps add something else than the WoW spike-thingy, which I really find ugly and stereotypical as f*ck. But maybe that's just me.

thanks bro , u always give me great support . i was wondering if anybody could read my suck English . u r really nice ~

Level 51
Thanks for the advice people.

I'm very well aware of the problem with the "herofication" of my models and I'm trying to improve these flaws.

So I followed your advice and added the spikes and stuff, how do you like them?

The skulls resulted in a high poly count but the file size is not really high.

Just need someone to fix the walk animation (staff is moving not right and I can't fix it). I asked JesusHipster but I don't know if he has time. Then it can be released.

Attachments

• finished.JPG
    finished.JPG
    73.2 KB · Views: 171
  • back.JPG
    back.JPG
    105 KB · Views: 139
Level 39
Thanks for the advice people.

I'm very well aware of the problem with the "herofication" of my models and I'm trying to improve these flaws.

Just need someone to fix the walk animation (staff is moving not right and I can't fix it). I asked JesusHipster but I don't know if he has time. Then it can be released.

Very cool! You actually managed to get it to look better than the WoD version, which is too overdone imo.

really much better now . and Guldan is still a important character in WOW 7.0 and Illidan has return !!

Wait, didn't Illidan die in one of those anticlimactic boss-battles? Ah good old WoW, butt****ing the lore as always.

Level 18
Very cool! You actually managed to get it to look better than the WoD version, which is too overdone imo.

Wait, didn't Illidan die in one of those anticlimactic boss-battles? Ah good old WoW, butt****ing the lore as always.

the new story setting is Demon will never die unless he is in Twisting Nether .
7.0 is Legion's return with Naga's attack . Demon hunter is a new class .

Level 49
Yeah, don't bother with WoW, Tauer. The lore's been on a downward spiral ever since Burning Crusade pretty much.

PROXY - I like what you did with the spikes, but imo the red-ish Diablo texture doesn't fit all that well. Plus, you could've gone for the lower-poly skulls, at least for some of them. But it looks good, nevertheless!

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
That's more than cool; sorry, wasn't trying to seem 'naggy' or whatever.

PROXY said:

Not bad. That might be just what the warlock ordered. : )

My only concern (and seeing it close-up might the actual problem; in-game view might be fine) is that the back will look really... 'busy'? Like a lot going on, all the spikes, lines on the spikes, stuff on the spikes... (While my "demon-rune-carved pit-lord-tusk" idea was pulled out of absolutely nowhere, I must admit I'm actually starting to think that's a killer idea for an Orc Warlock-dude (like, whereas Garrosh (Orc Barbarian) had spiked pit-lord-tusks over his shoulder like armor, Gul'dan (Orc Warlock) would feature the same accoutrément, just different)). But again, might not be a problem.

Most importantly, gives him that extra 'oomph'. Pretty sick model overall, man. : )

Level 51
Well the problem with the staff is, that it originally was attached to a "staff" bone that moved it's own way only following the hand. But attaching it to this bone doesn't work anymore, as the anatomy isn't the same and I can't tweak it right.

Attaching it to the hand bone works fine, except for the walking animation, it glitches through the shoulders heavily. I tried to fix it in Mdlvis but it seems that I can't work on the animations like others can.

Even if I give the staff a completly new bone with now keyframes at start, the bone still moves back to the last keyframe when I go to the next keyframe I want to edit. Ofc. I can move it for example forward again, but it creates big jumping and "flattering" of the bone and jumps around really quickly. Don't know if you get what I mean.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
And I'm sorry if I sounded offensive Kyrbi. That was not my intention at all.
Oh no, not offensive in the least; I was just worried as it sounded a bit... 'snippy', as if you were getting annoyed hearing that from me (which, by all rights, you should xD).

u can send it to me with PM and wish i can slove this problem . i can do it in the weekend .
Whatta guy.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Edit: News: Forest Troll Bow Hero. Edited from my Clan Queen model. Early state.
Hey, pretty cool. I never would have thought of Forest Trolls + Bows... That being said, while there are a lot of Archer Heroes in Wc3 (seriously, ever count them out? Priestess of the Moon, Dark Ranger, Naga Sea Witch... and that's just the playable ones), this one promises to be interesting.

The mask obscures a lot of the face, but I like the 'panther' look it gives her.

Nice 'Bride-of-Frankenstein' hair, there, lady. ;P

I'll have to put some thought into what could make her more heroic. Cloaks are overdone, can't give her a snake tail/medusa head/four arms, and riding a tiger is taken... Hmm.

Level 51
Maybe, I'm not certain if she's ending up as a hero anyway.

Other news:

This guy:

models_11802_screenshot.jpg

Got a remake. Still thinking about chaning the texture of the mount back to normal nightsabre (or POTM) or keeping the wolf texture, wich is a tad more creative.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    45.2 KB · Views: 118
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    43.7 KB · Views: 129
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    55.4 KB · Views: 128
Level 15
You should keep wolf textures, but honestly, he is too armored. At least, change that helm!
As for that forest troll, no offense, but that mask is awful, if it is done. It looks too much robot-ish. At least make one with and one without mask, and publish them both!

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Maybe, I'm not certain if she's ending up as a hero anyway.

Other news:

This guy:

models_11802_screenshot.jpg

Got a remake. Still thinking about chaning the texture of the mount back to normal nightsabre (or POTM) or keeping the wolf texture, wich is a tad more creative.
I actually really like the wolf-texture; it is creative & different (reminds me of a badger or something).

The guy, on the other hand, looks off... Perhaps in part because he looks naked? I had to glance twice to see the leg armor. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.